Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

E2M2
Mar 2, 2007

Ain't No Thang.

Qu Appelle posted:

How much extra is the data for the Tab A per month?

$10 a month

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diabeesting
Apr 29, 2006

turn right to escape
Will T-Mobile pay the ETFs for switching an entire family plan over from Verizon? Their service has just been degrading consistently for the past 5 years in my area down to the point of getting zero bars in our home. I'd like to be able to send a text without having to retry 5 times.

Edit: I should probably add, yes T-mobile seems to have a much stronger signal here

Diabeesting fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Oct 24, 2015

Qu Appelle
Nov 3, 2005

"If a COVID-19 pandemic occurs, public health officials may have additional instructions, such as avoiding close contact with others as much as possible, and staying home if someone in your household is sick." - Official insights from Public Health: Seattle & King County staff

Oh, hey - those of us who got (and accepted) offers for unlimited data back in March. When does that offer expire? Is it at the end of this year?

(I looked at my account - it's active until 1.2.16.)

Qu Appelle fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Oct 24, 2015

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice
Rumors are that T-Mobile is about to announce music freedom but for videos next.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

broken clock opsec posted:

Rumors are that T-Mobile is about to announce music freedom but for videos next.

goddamn going for the throat there

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

Yeah, netflix and hulu and stuff. At this point, why not just give truly unlimited data to everyone? I mean, poo poo, streaming music and video are what 99.9% of people use data on their phones for...and being able to scream "truly unlimited data unlike those three other guys!!" would be pretty good for tmobile, right?

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Yeah, netflix and hulu and stuff. At this point, why not just give truly unlimited data to everyone? I mean, poo poo, streaming music and video are what 99.9% of people use data on their phones for...and being able to scream "truly unlimited data unlike those three other guys!!" would be pretty good for tmobile, right?

If they can categorize the traffic, they can optimize and throttle it transparently-- things like limiting netflix traffic to a megabit or less so that you'll get perfectly adequate 480p on your phone and not saturate a tower. And at that point the only people hitting their caps are people who *probably* should have a proper fixed wireless or wire line provider for doing the bandwidth-intensive thing that is not streaming music or video.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

Qwijib0 posted:

If they can categorize the traffic, they can optimize and throttle it transparently-- things like limiting netflix traffic to a megabit or less so that you'll get perfectly adequate 480p on your phone and not saturate a tower. And at that point the only people hitting their caps are people who *probably* should have a proper fixed wireless or wire line provider for doing the bandwidth-intensive thing that is not streaming music or video.

Am I the only one that doesn't like the precedent this sets?

If mobile audio and video are what's causing the majority of people to use their bandwidth, why not just make unlimited bandwidth for everyone as standard, instead of basically going "this site is okay, this isn't, this counts, this doesn't count". This is essentially what the net neutrality crowd is afraid of, that an ISP will basically control which services go through the network free and which cost "extra" (for this, in terms of bandwidth usage).

At the end of the day, it's basically saying "you're paying $X a month for unlimited access to these services, but all other services you have to use your allotted bandwidth to access as well". I get that people are all excited because FREE INTERNET STREAMING, but I can't see why this isn't better than just cutting the data packages all together and giving unlimited across the board.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

PRADA SLUT posted:

If mobile audio and video are what's causing the majority of people to use their bandwidth, why not just make unlimited bandwidth for everyone as standard, instead of basically going "this site is okay, this isn't, this counts, this doesn't count". This is essentially what the net neutrality crowd is afraid of, that an ISP will basically control which services go through the network free and which cost "extra" (for this, in terms of bandwidth usage).

At the end of the day, it's basically saying "you're paying $X a month for unlimited access to these services, but all other services you have to use your allotted bandwidth to access as well". I get that people are all excited because FREE INTERNET STREAMING, but I can't see why this isn't better than just cutting the data packages all together and giving unlimited across the board.

Agreed, but so far it seems to just not be an issue brought up, so it will skirt by.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

Duckman2008 posted:

Agreed, but so far it seems to just not be an issue brought up, so it will skirt by.

I think that's my problem with it.

Un-regulating certain services only (especially just high-bandwidth ones) seems more like a long-term positioning strategy to control bandwidth to services, disguised as a "look how much better we are than our competition" sort of thing, especially when it's virtually just offering unlimited bandwidth, but with control over which services it goes to. It makes me uneasy when thinking about the future prospects of decisions like this, especially if it sneaks in one step at a time.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
I would have a bigger problem with it if T-Mobile was pushing their own premium video streaming service that didn't count towards the cap, or if you went over your data cap you were hit with an overage instead of just throttling with the option to buy more data. Like what Comcast is doing with data caps, but offering their Streampix service that doesn't count towards data caps. That's just lovely, and what net neutrality is trying to protect.

If the rumor is true, I am especially excited to see how AT&T/Verizon/Sprint react to it.

Music Unleashed was opened to like 30-40 services, and I can't think of any I use that are not covered by it. I would think it's pretty lovely if the major companies like Netflix and Hulu were the only ones covered. I'd love to be able to stream MLB games with At Bat, or a live PPV with the WWE Network.

But if streaming video gets covered, I can't see myself even coming near my 3GB data cap. I may have to downgrade it back to 1GB and actually save money.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I think what this comes down to is they want to offer unlimited in a way that stops the tethering sperglords who insist that torrenting 24x7 is exactly what "UNLIMITED MEANS UNLIMITED" is supposed to cover. While whitelisting sites is not the most ideal solution, it does pretty much negate any possible end-runs around it to try and pass traffic off as if it was 'streaming'.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
A reasonable solution would be if these streaming apps started offing the ability to download shows while on Wifi and access them on the go. Amazon Video now does it, and I remember the Comcast App has a very limited selection of TV shows and Movies that allowed it. Why can't the others do it? Is there any harm in having an App that lets me save a movie to my phone for 30 days, and need to phone home to extend the license if necessary?

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

Astro7x posted:

A reasonable solution would be if these streaming apps started offing the ability to download shows while on Wifi and access them on the go. Amazon Video now does it, and I remember the Comcast App has a very limited selection of TV shows and Movies that allowed it. Why can't the others do it? Is there any harm in having an App that lets me save a movie to my phone for 30 days, and need to phone home to extend the license if necessary?
License management becomes an issue, storage space becomes an issue, and not having access to everything in that situation becomes an issue. Plus total bandwidth usage goes up when people cant decide what they're going to want to watch and bring both/all options.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

IOwnCalculus posted:

I think what this comes down to is they want to offer unlimited in a way that stops the tethering sperglords who insist that torrenting 24x7 is exactly what "UNLIMITED MEANS UNLIMITED" is supposed to cover. While whitelisting sites is not the most ideal solution, it does pretty much negate any possible end-runs around it to try and pass traffic off as if it was 'streaming'.

This is it, really.

Now watch iTunes be technically covered but Apple still just not let you stream anything larger than like 100 megs over mobile data as usual.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Fun Shoe

PRADA SLUT posted:

It's a fine precedent for cellular data?

If you pay for N bytes of data, you will get N bytes to do whatever you want with. The music (and theoretical video) freedom are just fringe benefits. They're not throttling Service X within those N bytes. You get bonus bytes to do things that most people do with mobile devices these days. If you don't use those services, you still get the same data you always did.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Yes, but you also create an incentive to favor the supported sites. "I can use *little company* and eat into my data plan or I can use *big company* and not waste data."

Same reason people were mad at Facebook when they were launching that free internet thing a while back. It was free, but limited to certain sites. You can pay for the wider internet, but the incentive is to frequent Facebook's selected sites and not pay anything.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Fun Shoe

Uthor posted:

Yes, but you also create an incentive to favor the supported sites. "I can use *little company* and eat into my data plan or I can use *big company* and not waste data."

Same reason people were mad at Facebook when they were launching that free internet thing a while back. It was free, but limited to certain sites. You can pay for the wider internet, but the incentive is to frequent Facebook's selected sites and not pay anything.

I think the key difference is T-Mobile's impartiality to the services, they don't charge them for 'special' access, and they add services based on customer demand. The current list contains a lot of niche services:

code:
    Apple Music
    Pandora
    iHeartRadio
    Rhapsody
    Beatport
    Spotify
    Slacker
    Radical.FM
    8tracks
    Samsung Milk Music
    Black Planet
    Songza
    Rdio
    Radio Paradise
    AccuRadio
    SoundCloud
    Saavn
    Digitally Imported
    JAZZRADIO.com
    ROCKRADIO.com
    RadioTunes
    radioPup
    radio.com
    Mad Genius Radio
    Groove Music
    Live365
    Fresca Radio
    Google Music
    Fit Radio
    SiriusXM
    Tidal Music
    MixRadio
    BandCamp
So if you were a new startup, I think it's highly likely you could get your users to ask for it and get it added. IOwnCalculus said it way more succinctly than I did, but T-mo is trying to offer effectively unlimited data to the vast majority of users while making it very hard to abuse the service.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Qwijib0 posted:

So if you were a new startup, I think it's highly likely you could get your users to ask for it and get it added.

I mean, I'm not mad about it, but it still leaves T-Mobile as the gatekeeper. Ideologically, it's not something to be happy about.

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew

Qwijib0 posted:

I think the key difference is T-Mobile's impartiality to the services, they don't charge them for 'special' access, and they add services based on customer demand. The current list contains a lot of niche services:

So if you were a new startup, I think it's highly likely you could get your users to ask for it and get it added. IOwnCalculus said it way more succinctly than I did, but T-mo is trying to offer effectively unlimited data to the vast majority of users while making it very hard to abuse the service.

For this model to work, T-mobile needs to be completely cut out of the process for being added to the service. Any company should be able to add themselves.

nickutz
Feb 3, 2004

Put blue and red chicken in mouth plz

Super Dude posted:

For this model to work, T-mobile needs to be completely cut out of the process for being added to the service. Any company should be able to add themselves.

T-Mobile can't be cut out, as they have to work with each service be able to identify their packets to bypass the data cap.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
Isn't Music Unleashed still missing Amazon Prime Music?

Whatever they announce, it will be great if your favorite service is selected, and horrible if it's not.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

http://www.theverge.com/2015/11/2/9657878/t-mobile-wants-to-put-an-lte-tower-in-your-house

Free LTE tower with $25 deposit for your home or business offering 3000 sq ft of coverage.

Why not just use wifi and wifi calling? Does wifi calling suck? Or will you not get SMS without a real signal?

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Don't need to have a T-Mobile phone with WiFi calling built into the OS?

Or is that not a requirement anymore?

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
Biggest issue with wifi calling is its either on or off. So at my house it works great. At my work it sucks. But i have no way of saying dont use wifi calling at work.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.

FogHelmut posted:

[url]Why not just use wifi and wifi calling? Does wifi calling suck? Or will you not get SMS without a real signal?

On Android you basically need to buy a T-Mobile branded Android phone to get Wi-Fi Calling. Many/most of the better phones in the Android world are phones you buy unlocked so this is a huge deal.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

BeastOfExmoor posted:

On Android you basically need to buy a T-Mobile branded Android phone to get Wi-Fi Calling. Many/most of the better phones in the Android world are phones you buy unlocked so this is a huge deal.

The Nexus devices are exceptions to this rule. I'm using a Nexus 6 that was once a Sprint phone, it works just fine. Hopefully more devices will support UMA in the future.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

FogHelmut posted:

http://www.theverge.com/2015/11/2/9657878/t-mobile-wants-to-put-an-lte-tower-in-your-house

Free LTE tower with $25 deposit for your home or business offering 3000 sq ft of coverage.

Why not just use wifi and wifi calling? Does wifi calling suck? Or will you not get SMS without a real signal?

Most of the time you need to have a tmobile branded phone (not a problem for most people, but a problem for people who post on boards like SA :v:) although I think the newer Nexus phones support tmobile wifi calling out of the box? Also, a lot of work places have their wifi networks set up to block ports and such that wifi calling relies on.

ddogflex
Sep 19, 2004

blahblahblah
iPhones work with WiFi calling too guys. Hell, even my iPad does. :whatup:

(I can't tell how it's better than regular continuity from the iPad, but whatever.)

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
Yeah the first thing I did when I switched to T-Mobile last year was call and order the LTE Cellspot, it showed up a few days later. It seems to work, how much, I'm not sure. The wifi calling on my iphone 6 worked great and there were no issues for the year I used it , although it was always at home.

LTE Cellspot average of 3 tests ON/OFF:

ON
latency 57
download 13.1
upload 7.8

OFF
latency 58
download 14.4
upload 12.8

According to that unscientific test, I get better speeds with it off.

Now that I've recently jumped ship to an android bigphone, I would really like Wifi calling enabled on my 2015 Moto XP so it will just stay on it when I work from home as well as the Band 12 for when I'm in tall buildings the other days of the week.

Keyser_Soze fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Nov 2, 2015

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

FogHelmut posted:

Only thing I can think of is maybe you're on a limited bandwidth internet plan and you want to take advantage of free music streaming over lte

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

Only thing I can think of is maybe you're on a limited bandwidth internet plan and you want to take advantage of free music streaming over lte

That doesn't make sense because it's still just routing the data that your phone sees as LTE, over your wired broadband. So if you pay-per-GB on your home plan, that sucks, and this wouldn't let you do an end-run around that.

It really does seem to only be a benefit to phones that can't work with wifi calling already.

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

I never thought I'd be happy to see yet another lubed up man-ass.
I had a device similar to that when I was on Sprint. Depending on your settings, it would allow any Sprint phone to connect to and use it (default is on, obviously), so I'm pretty sure it's also a move to put service in areas that are not fulfilled. The range on the Sprint cell was about a city block large from my testing, which is not insignificant for a small device. It was 3G only so I'd guess newer LTE models would have even better range.

IuniusBrutus
Jul 24, 2010

Is there a way to get out of a Jump! On Demand lease without either A.) buying the phone or B.) paying off the lease and turning the phone in? A friend got one of the the new Nexi and I'm completely sold on going back to Android now.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

IuniusBrutus posted:

Is there a way to get out of a Jump! On Demand lease without either A.) buying the phone or B.) paying off the lease and turning the phone in? A friend got one of the the new Nexi and I'm completely sold on going back to Android now.

No

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

IuniusBrutus posted:

Sell phone, get paid, pay off the phone.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

I had the $30 per month 100 mins + unlimited data plan for a while, then my account went inactive due to being out of the country for 9 months. Reactivating my account today, I don't see the $30 plan as an option anymore. Is it possible to get that back somehow, either by calling T-Mobile or going and getting another one of the kits from Wal-Mart?

Merv Burger
Jan 3, 2008

The $30 plan is only available to new activations online, so you'd have to leave T-Mobile and then come back.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Merv Burger posted:

The $30 plan is only available to new activations online, so you'd have to leave T-Mobile and then come back.

You may be able to call and ask them to reinstate you, but otherwise this is the way to do it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tonic
Jan 4, 2003

So Data Stash is only available on the plans with 5gb or less of data? That seems silly.

I was going to switch my wife and I over, but it seems like unless you need 4 lines, TMO's plans are relatively expensive these days.