Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx

:getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,
Guys I seriously don't see what the problem is. It's completely legit to build a brand new building in the middle of your game make. L.A. real estate is lolcheap if you can siphon 8 figs off sad fat aspie kids and war vets with PTSD. Game is gonna be out practically tmw so Chris needs to weasel his way back into Hollywood.

This is going to be Ortwin Foamymouth's office. I'm not kidding:

Anyway it all looks on the level to me, no probs guys, they're not making GBS threads backer bucks away at ludicrious speed.

Office will be done :gary: SOOOOOONPARP

Toops fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Nov 6, 2015

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

G0RF posted:

A subthread stumbles close to achieving self-awareness...

infincible 4 points 3 hours ago
if the goal is to load in with your friends and take on missions together how in the world are you suppose to do that if the HUD thinks EVERYONE is an enemy? Moreover how did they even do that in the demo? Did they just say "ah screw it" and if friendly fire happened (and it probably did) they just carefully ignored it?

Shoot blues err'day

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

CLAM DOWN posted:

I actually made money because of the Canadian dollar exchange rate :v

Same. Always a nice little bonus when that happens, to pay off for some of the wasted time and broken hopes and dreams.

EDIT: Also, after my refund came through I am 100% convinced that CIG does not have an accountant employed to specifically keep track of all the money internally (or if there is one, they are either lazy or crooked as gently caress). Probably because Chris Robots would rather cash on more fidelity, rather than someone to make sure said cash isn't being wasted. Which is stupid as hell! I mean...sometimes it winds up costing them money, when it wouldn't have to! But then again, all that money was 'donated' by the ever faithful and I suppose they all think all they need to do is another tapdance and special .jpeg sale and several more million will pour in.

Waste on a galactic scale, really.

CrazyLoon fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Nov 6, 2015

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
That reddit post.

It all depends on your definition of "complete"

Rodney-CK
Jun 19, 2004
Well this is a surprising turn of events.

I'm pretty sure it's safe to say at this point that CIG is no longer interested in making a game, except to trail it's corpse through the money long enough to set up this movie business.

It was cute to pick on CIG and their jpgs and constant, constant failures. But now they're literally flaunting their true intentions out there.

Star Citizen won't happen.

There may be an episode of a broken mess of a Squadron 42, and CIG will probably fold shortly after.

Now I'm by no means a smart guy when it comes to legal matters. But if CIG builds this office, they will also have to sell it when they go under. If they can string this joke long enough to build a AAA movie studio, with a CGI factory, in LA, they will be in a great position to sell this asset off to help fund "the game!!!" a few more months.

I wouldn't be surprised if some movie company Roberts has a vested interest in swoops in to "save the day" or something.

Then the movie company is brushed under the rug as a heroic company who helped make the last few months of bug fixes for S42 possible. Roberts made the best video game he could make given the money and impossible stretch goals, and everybody goes to live happily ever after.

However, CIG money is basically funding this nicely located movie studio, and Roberts will get it basically for free.

Not to mention that the longer this gravy train rides, the Roberts' probably "earn" 1 million or more per year in work wages.

This thing has really taken an insulting course. I don't care if Smart can dance in the ashes, but I really hope people being this shady and grossly negligent get what's coming to them eventually.

I feel sorry for the backers who put loads of money into this, thinking they're going to get a space second life game, when the creator really just wants to make movies.

Rodney-CK fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Nov 6, 2015

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

They latch on to stupid loving phrases like "Content Complete" and then use them to justify all expressions of faith from then on without ever taking the time to parse out what was actually meant.

I mean the very fact that they are building a new office should indicate to people that CIG is nowhere near a release of this game. Why would you jump to a new office if you were less than a year away from finishing your product? Also, I don't get all the people trying to justify it by saying "Oh they have too many people for the old office." Has anyone seen any indication that they have been hiring? The only news in the last three months has been one firing after another! None of it makes any sense, none of it stands up to the slightest scrutiny.

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

Sarsapariller posted:

They latch on to stupid loving phrases like "Content Complete" and then use them to justify all expressions of faith from then on without ever taking the time to parse out what was actually meant.

I mean the very fact that they are building a new office should indicate to people that CIG is nowhere near a release of this game. Why would you jump to a new office if you were less than a year away from finishing your product? Also, I don't get all the people trying to justify it by saying "Oh they have too many people for the old office." Has anyone seen any indication that they have been hiring? The only news in the last three months has been one firing after another! None of it makes any sense, none of it stands up to the slightest scrutiny.

At this point you could leak a video of Croberts wiping his arse with $100 bills and backers would still think it was a wise use of funds for the game.

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx
It's insane that Robert's actually said the reason they are building the studio is because they aren't done with mocap. That sounds like the reason you hide from everyone while making an excuse that sounds legitimate. How are people who have invested in this ok with Chris's undying obsession with motion capture? There were literally two seperate 10 minute videos at CitizenCon that were completely devoted to sucking MoCap dick. it isn't exactly a cutting edge technology for videogames and I don't think anyone besides Chris could give a poo poo. But let's build an entire studio so that Sandi can be edited into every scene.

pftc
Oct 1, 2015

does anyone have any Star Citizen merchandise poo poo?

I want to know who made it

pftc
Oct 1, 2015

I promise not to make fun of you for owning Star Citizen merchandise, either

Dapper Dan
Dec 16, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Sarsapariller posted:

Rodney-CK posted:

Well this is a surprising turn of events.

I'm pretty sure it's safe to say at this point that CIG is no longer interested in making a game, except to trail it's corpse through the money long enough to set up this movie business.

It was cute to pick on CIG and their jpgs and constant, constant failures. But now they're literally flaunting their true intentions out there.

Star Citizen won't happen.

There may be an episode of a broken mess of a Squadron 42, and CIG will probably fold shortly after.

Now I'm by no means a smart guy when it comes to legal matters. But if CIG builds this office, they will also have to sell it when they go under. If they can string this joke long enough to build a AAA movie studio, with a CGI factory, in LA, they will be in a great position to sell this asset off to help fund "the game!!!" a few more months.

I wouldn't be surprised if some movie company Roberts has a vested interest in swoops in to "save the day" or something.

Then the movie company is brushed under the rug as a heroic company who helped make the last few months of bug fixes for S42 possible. Roberts made the best video game he could make given the money and impossible stretch goals, and everybody goes to live happily ever after.

However, CIG money is basically funding this nicely located movie studio, and Roberts will get it basically for free.

Not to mention that the longer this gravy train rides, the Roberts' probably "earn" 1 million or more per year or more in work wages.

This thing has really taken an insulting course. I don't care if Smart can dance in the ashes, but I really hope people being this shady and grossly negligent get what's coming to them eventually.

I feel sorry for the backers who put loads of money into this, thinking they're going to get a space second life game, when the creator really just wants to make movies.

Yeah, I think we are seeing the beginning of the endgame. My guess is that they are going to release some lovely Squadron 42 that is 10 hours of cut-scenes 3 hours of game play. This will ship with an extremely buggy 'persistent universe' that is completely empty and devoid of any substance, never to be fixed. Backers will get their 'ships', but they will all functionally be the same with a different coat of paint. The FPS will be extremely basic and in a separate module that has three weapons and is deathmatch only with two or three maps of generic future shooter. They will do the bare minimum to meet their legal obligations while they try to get back into the movie industry with the mo-cap studio.

If they do anything less than the bare minimum, they are completely hosed. There already has been a successful lawsuit against a Kickstarter that used the money for other poo poo and didn't deliver a product (not doing the bare minimum counts the same). You simply do not get away with pissing away 94 million dollars and using it to do something else while loving over everyone who gave you money. That's called fraud. I think Star Citizens are retarded, but even a retard can feel when someone is openly taking a poo poo on their face.

A Neurotic Jew posted:

It's insane that Robert's actually said the reason they are building the studio is because they aren't done with mocap. That sounds like the reason you hide from everyone while making an excuse that sounds legitimate. How are people who have invested in this ok with Chris's undying obsession with motion capture? There were literally two seperate 10 minute videos at CitizenCon that were completely devoted to sucking MoCap dick. it isn't exactly a cutting edge technology for videogames and I don't think anyone besides Chris could give a poo poo. But let's build an entire studio so that Sandi can be edited into every scene.

It is because it can't be for Star Citizen. It simply loving can't. There is no universe where that makes any sense. They are literally burning money if this is just for SC poo poo because they already have a mo-cap studio they paid for SC in Manchester. Simon Elms runs cubic motion and has been around since the Gizmondo days, they simply wouldn't abandon him. It has to be to get back into the film industry in some capacity.

Dapper Dan fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Nov 6, 2015

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,

Sarsapariller posted:

Also, I don't get all the people trying to justify it by saying "Oh they have too many people for the old office." Has anyone seen any indication that they have been hiring? The only news in the last three months has been one firing after another! None of it makes any sense, none of it stands up to the slightest scrutiny.

Proof: They been hirin' so many peeps they can barely even fit 'em on the dang STAIRS!!! NEED NEW OFFICE WITH 32 HD STATE OF THE ART MOCAP CAMERAS AND A HUGE OFFICE FOR OUR SKETCHY LAWYER, STAT!!!

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

Didn't they build a mocap studio in Austin?

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

pftc posted:

Probably some Chinese sweatshop. I remember they got all their speshul Citizen Cards made and shipped from China, wouldn't be surprised to learn other material poo poo comes from there too.

pftc
Oct 1, 2015

CrazyLoon posted:

Probably some Chinese sweatshop. I remember they got all their speshul Citizen Cards made and shipped from China, wouldn't be surprised to learn other material poo poo comes from there too.

Wouldn't it be extra moist and delicious like a chocolate cake to know for sure though?

Dapper Dan
Dec 16, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

jaegerx posted:

Didn't they build a mocap studio in Austin?

Reading up on this, they were apparently supposed to build a mo-cap studio but instead rented out an apparently expensive one in the UK (which Simon Elms is conveniently the CEO of). It looks like they had all the equipment for one, but just never used it or sent it to manchester, so technically this is the third foray into mocap (First being the promised studio with equipment that was never used, the second with Cubic Motion sending money to Gizmondo friend Simon Elms and the third with this new one).

They might just be re-using tech they already bought, but somehow I don't think that is good enough for Chris.

ideate
Aug 20, 2002

CrazyLoon posted:

The sweatshirts were from china, and were all 'womens' - Zipper on the other side.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Justin Tyme posted:

Is it conceivable that if they are only leasing their new studio that all the upgrades/reno could be deducted from their lease? I don't know much about that sort of thing but it seems no different than a tenant replacing something in their apartment and getting it deducted from next month's rent

No. Not at all. Because there's a 99.9999999% chance that whoever leases it after christ croberts won't be using it as a game studio. The guy that leases the space after croberts departs is going to turn it into a shwarma restaurant and isn't going to pay a single loving cent for all the space related bullshit and 4000 dollar airplane desks that croberts installed.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

A Neurotic Jew posted:

not to mention they already did a 66 day shoot with over 10 hours of footage

how much more loving mo cap can one man need

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

ideate posted:

The sweatshirts were from china, and were all 'womens' - Zipper on the other side.

Oddly appropriate for the average Star Citizen, given DickWulf is their poster boy that's so insecure about his masculinity as to show off his...Wulge.

DarkRefreshment
May 5, 2015

Nothing is funnier than a dog in a formal outfit. Look it up on the internets.

LCL-Dead posted:

You could not pay me enough to live in Florida. I can't even stand North Carolina summer humidity.

loving amateur. I live in Atlanta, get on our humidity having rear end level.

:gary:

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

What do they need in these mocap studios other than a moderate sized room with a bunch of cameras?

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005

YOU DON'T KNOW A DAMN THING ABOUT RACING !
So they build their own mocap studio, despite being based close to Hollywood, you know, the movie-making Mecca, where there just might be a myriad of willing and experienced companies available ??

And why should mocap even be important in such a game where 90% of the game consists of "Sit in pilot's chair" ? And it's not as if fps animations for the most generic Space Marine shooter ever could not be bought or recycled from another company. Lean left, run down corridor, duck, aim....it's been done a thousand times....

But it all makes sense now. Maybe SQ42 comes out in some broken and bugged for and then Chris says "That's all folks" effectively ending the project while keeping his multi-million $$$ studio, bought and built with backer money.

Kakarot
Jul 20, 2013

by zen death robot
Buglord

Toops posted:

Guys I seriously don't see what the problem is. It's completely legit to build a brand new building in the middle of your game make. L.A. real estate is lolcheap if you can siphon 8 figs off sad fat aspie kids and war vets with PTSD. Game is gonna be out practically tmw so Chris needs to weasel his way back into Hollywood.

This is going to be Ortwin Foamymouth's office. I'm not kidding:

Anyway it all looks on the level to me, no probs guys, they're not making GBS threads backer bucks away at ludicrious speed.

Office will be done :gary: SOOOOOONPARP

huh, why they gently caress are they doing this? And people are ok with this? 7

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,
Get ready to poo poo yourself.

quote:

What we want to do is build our own studio. We want to dedicate an area for mocap and purchase our own mocap system outright. It would cost more than we have currently budgeted for mocap leasing to do this to start… but the result would improve the game significantly. With our own mocap system we could generate cutscenes and moves as we determine they are needed, which will be especially valuable for the Star Citizen live team charged with feeding the game constant content! It’s even conceivable that we could rent it out when not in use, ultimately funneling more money into Star Citizen’s development!

Lead Animator Bryan Brewer is currently looking at two potential mocap systems for body movement. The first is the Vicon system, which he calls the Ferrari of mocap rigs. We would purchase sixteen of their 2.0 megapixel T20S cameras and sixteen of their 1.0 mexapixel T10S cameras for roughly $230,000. A second option is OptiTrack, the “Porsche” of mocap systems, which would be 24 4.1 megapixel Prime 41 cameras and 2 Prime17 cameras for significantly less: $150,000.

This hardware is just the start: it would track body motions, but an additional system would be needed for the game’s facial animations. For this, we are looking at a product called FaceWare. Other money would go towards a physical space to install the system and various pieces of rigging. Finally, some of the additional million would go to professional actors. While team members and other volunteers are suitable for simple motions, real actors are needed for some captures!

We genuinely believe our own mocap studio would significantly improve Star Citizen. The team is very excited about the possibilities for expanding the game beyond what our original budget allowed. We think this is a great example of how we can be responsible with additional money… and a way to continue showing our backers that we’re doing the right thing with their pledges!

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/18305/motion-capture-tech

Hey guys, sounds totally normal and legit, right?

Kakarot
Jul 20, 2013

by zen death robot
Buglord
Wait, what happened to their mocap studio? The one they bought with backer money.

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

Hammerstein posted:

So they build their own mocap studio, despite being based close to Hollywood, you know, the movie-making Mecca, where there just might be a myriad of willing and experienced companies available ??

And why should mocap even be important in such a game where 90% of the game consists of "Sit in pilot's chair" ? And it's not as if fps animations for the most generic Space Marine shooter ever could not be bought or recycled from another company. Lean left, run down corridor, duck, aim....it's been done a thousand times....

But it all makes sense now. Maybe SQ42 comes out in some broken and bugged for and then Chris says "That's all folks" effectively ending the project while keeping his multi-million $$$ studio, bought and built with backer money.

It's become quite blatantly obvious by this point, that underneath all the doubletalk and horseshit coming out of CR's mouth - The entire project of Star Citizen is CR's way of getting back into Hollywood, to set up his own businesses there and not be too dependent on other well-established entities there, since very likely that whole Kevin Costner suing him thing probably severely damaged his reputation there, and of course it's Sandi's way of becoming a big-time actress, even though the truth is she's far too full of herself to ever really excel at that in this day and age.

And the kicker of it all is...I don't think either one of them is self-aware enough to even admit it to themselves that this is the truth! That they're just trying so loving hard to get back into the movie industry, that they're willing to throw up a whole smoke-screen of a Star MMO/BDSSE/whateverthefuckthisisnow up to fleece gullible space nerds!

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

comatose posted:

I thought Croberts said in his citizen con spiel that they'd already done a poo poo load of mocap for the AAA cast. If I'm remembering right it makes the extra studio even more retarded.

Edit: not that you should believe anything that comes out of Croberts' mouth about how much work they've done on the game.

Croberts builds mocap studio for game he was funded to create.

Game that croberts built mocap studio for goes tits up and dies on the vine.

Croberts still has mocap studio.

Croberts makes money off mocap studio.

Just a thought.

Alternative possibility:

Croberts uses mocap studio to implement realistic rape scenes his supersperg customers are clamoring for.

Croberts uses body scanning technology in his mocap studio to scan in CIG employees, which his aspie customer base also clamors for.

Croberts fulfills all the fantasies of his basement dwelling autist customers by letting them digitally rape his own CIG employees.

Funding goes through the roof, allowing croberts to make the most amazing game in the history of mankind.

Everyone wins, except for possibly the CIG employees that are doomed to have their digital avatars violated constantly for the next decade by a bunch of sexless virgin sperglords.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

pftc posted:

They've said its "our guy in China" / "our guy in the China factory" before - but not given a company name or anything. I suppose if someone here has ordered and still has the box it shipped in, you could get the address and figure out the manufacturer.

But honestly- they can't be using one guy for everything. The ship models probably come from a toy spaceship / "priceless collectibles" manufacturer (one assumes in Asia). They probably did dog tags somewhere else, too. Maybe the guy in China just deals with the clothing / mugs / mousepads and simpler stuff like that...

It's a total mess, that's for sure. Ben even made fun of how disorganized it all was on RtV recently when he said "our guy in China found a bunch of old lost stuff behind a box - so it's on sale! New old stuff is BACK!"

Just one of so many areas where CIG keeps cutting corners and avoiding professionalization. It makes no sense whatsoever-- not when it takes 4 weeks for stuff to get delivered to most fans. Not when those delays actually lead to even more trouble tickets which CIG Santa Monica has NO WAY to even resolve. And Heaven forbid you actually get a defective product shipped to you- you'll wait weeks to get your ticket replied to, and then weeks more for a replacement.

It's all so dumb that of course it's what CIG would do.

fuzzknot
Mar 23, 2009

Yip yip yip yip yip

pftc posted:

Bootcha has a few T-shirts they gave him back in the day. Try asking him (before he winds up setting fire to them).

Dapper Dan
Dec 16, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Kakarot posted:

Wait, what happened to their mocap studio? The one they bought with backer money.

They purchased the hardware for it in 2013:

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/transmission/13104-Video-Mocap-Update

They might have set up in Austin (or never set it up), but whatever the case it was never used. They went to Cubic Motion in Manchester. Which is run by Simon Elms (if you want more nepotism, he worked with Erin Roberts at Warthog Games and then later for Gizmondo. It was also more expensive than finding a space for the tech they already had). The video says 'we don't have to go to another studio!' (and then they went and gave money to one of Chris' friends at probably a great expense because he was CEO of Cubic Motion).

So, that tech is now either sitting in a dumpster or sold at a reduced price for new tech for more motion capture now that they are moving to a new office. Why do they need more motion capture? Who the gently caress knows.

EDIT:
I can't even say if it is nepotism or if CRoberts is simply just retarded at managing poo poo.

Dapper Dan fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Nov 6, 2015

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

if you like my dumb posts, you'll love my dumb youtube channel
I figured it out guys, the 'star' in 'star citizen' refers to hollywood, not space.

And roberts wants to be that star.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Dapper Dan posted:

They purchased the hardware for it in 2013:

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/transmission/13104-Video-Mocap-Update

They might have set up in Austin (or never set it up), but whatever the case is that it was never used. They went to Cubic Motion in Manchester. Which is run by Simon Elms (if you want more nepotism. It was also more expensive). The video says 'we don't have to go to another studio!' (and then they went and gave money to one of Chris' friends at probably a great expense because he was CEO of Cubic Motion).

So, that tech is now sitting in a dumpster or sold at a reduced price for new tech for more motion capture now that they are moving to a new office. Why they need more motion capture? Who the gently caress knows.

Didn't they also use Andy Serkis' Imaginarium as well? I recall that being brought up as well because of Serkis as well as they scheduled their session between Avengers 2 and Star Wars. I believe the Squadron 42 cutscenes were done there, just because they have a larger studio to handle big budget film work.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

FrankieGoes posted:

Croberts fulfills all the fantasies of his basement dwelling autist customers by letting them digitally rape his own CIG employees.

Funding goes through the roof, allowing croberts to make the most amazing game in the history of mankind.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lR-lxPhGunU&t=21s

Dapper Dan
Dec 16, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Young Freud posted:

Didn't they also use Andy Serkis' Imaginarium as well? I recall that being brought up as well because of Serkis as well as they scheduled their session between Avengers 2 and Star Wars. I believe the Squadron 42 cutscenes were done there, just because they have a larger studio to handle big budget film work.

Hahaha, holy gently caress they did:

http://imperialnews.network/2015/02/inside-cig-imaginarium/

This is their fourth foray into motion capture. For a space ship simulator. Four motion capture studios. For a space ship simulator. Four. What the loving gently caress, I think this broke my loving brain.

a whole buncha crows
May 8, 2003

WHEN WE DON'T KNOW WHO TO HATE, WE HATE OURSELVES.-SA USER NATION (AKA ME!)
hahahahaahahahaaha

a whole buncha crows
May 8, 2003

WHEN WE DON'T KNOW WHO TO HATE, WE HATE OURSELVES.-SA USER NATION (AKA ME!)
look at any part of this game in detail and its just beyond hosed

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Dapper Dan posted:

Hahaha, holy gently caress they did:

http://imperialnews.network/2015/02/inside-cig-imaginarium/

This is their fourth foray into motion capture. For a space ship simulator. Four motion capture studios. For a space ship simulator. Four. What the loving gently caress, I think this broke my loving brain.

oh my god I'm SO happy I'm out of this mess now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,

Nation posted:

look at any part of this game in detail and its just beyond :gary: PAAAAARRRRRRRPPP

i feex

• Locked thread