Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Imaginary Friend
Jan 27, 2010

Your Best Friend
Ahahah! A loving mocap studio?! Croberts is my favourite worst producer ever!

It's like he's pointing at new poo poo he notices everyday and goes: "Whoa, that looks cool! We just HAVE to add that to the project!" *weird, creepy-rear end smile*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.
This is a highly staged commercial pretending to be in-engine game footage.

To watch it is to be promised so very much. "This is 2.0 gameplay- we're nearly there! Squeeee! I'll be able to eject from combat if need be, and escape in pod to the nearby planet, and who knows what adventures await me down there!"

No, it isn't, and no you won't.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

Everyday I'm lolling

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Dapper Dan posted:

Hahaha, holy gently caress they did:

http://imperialnews.network/2015/02/inside-cig-imaginarium/

This is their fourth foray into motion capture. For a space ship simulator. Four motion capture studios. For a space ship simulator. Four. What the loving gently caress, I think this broke my loving brain.

lmao

star citizen priorities:
mocap studio
working flight model

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Dapper Dan posted:

This is their fourth foray into motion capture. For a space ship simulator. Four motion capture studios. For a space ship simulator. Four. What the loving gently caress, I think this broke my loving brain.

The thing is the Imaginarium stuff came out after RSI/CIG built their own mocap studio and people (well, goons) were left wondering why they even built their own mocap studio if they were going to rent out another studio (and, mind you, this was between Avengers 2 and Star Wars, so getting that slot must have been expensive). I think it was revealed later that they also used Cubic Motion as well.

But yeah. Four motion capture studios just for a space simulator where you hardly see your face.

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx

Toops posted:

Get ready to poo poo yourself.

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/18305/motion-capture-tech

Hey guys, sounds totally normal and legit, right?

Yahtzee. So basically they invested backer money in a new business venture, but they're masking it underneath the pre-tense of being for the development of Star Citizen. Holy gently caress.

Chocobo
Oct 15, 2012

Here comes a new challenger!
Oven Wrangler
What has actually happened is Chris finally got a 90 million dollar budget to film the movie of his dreams, with the only constraint being all the actors have to be digitized.

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.
If I could look one year into the future, the two things I'd look at first are lottery numbers and the Star Citizen thread.

I can't imagine how the brown sea will still be excited and waiting for the game that's "content complete" and coming any day now, but I know they will be.

Unless our hero burns it all down first.

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
i'll be in the star citizen movie all you have to do is ask

Dapper Dan
Dec 16, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

CLAM DOWN posted:

oh my god I'm SO happy I'm out of this mess now

For references, a non-space ship game studio, Creative Assembly, has one mocap studio for their thousands of army men. CRoberts needed 4. For a game that is primarily in space.

Imaginary Friend posted:

Ahahah! A loving mocap studio?! Croberts is my favourite worst producer ever!

It's like he's pointing at new poo poo he notices everyday and goes: "Whoa, that looks cool! We just HAVE to add that to the project!" *weird, creepy-rear end smile*

The worst part is he already bought poo poo for a mocap studio in 2013. And now he wants to buy more updated (and expensive) equipment. He's like this guy:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e5i6BHBuqxE

Replace with movies and motion capture.

Young Freud posted:

But yeah. Four motion capture studios just for a space simulator where you hardly see your face.

I am sure Star Citizens will justify it somehow. Being they are the most gullible motherfuckers out there and willing to give CRoberts more money even though he is clearly rear end loving them with no lube.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

G0RF posted:

This is a highly staged commercial pretending to be in-engine game footage.

To watch it is to be promised so very much. "This is 2.0 gameplay- we're nearly there! Squeeee! I'll be able to eject from combat if need be, and escape in pod to the nearby planet, and who knows what adventures await me down there!"

No, it isn't, and no you won't.

Someone else mentioned the old benchmark software, and it's pretty apt for this video as well

Everything looks pre-rendered, scripted, and the camera lingers JUST long enough, usually on a stationary scene, and then it cuts away again

I get the feeling the camera stuck around for 10-15 seconds on one spot you'd see all the horrible 'engine trying to pull itself apart' jankyness that we've come to expect

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx
Star Citizen is actually just a giant advertisement for a mo-cap studio in Hollywood. Once you accept this, everything else falls in to place.

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

Sappo569 posted:

Someone else mentioned the old benchmark software, and it's pretty apt for this video as well

Everything looks pre-rendered, scripted, and the camera lingers JUST long enough, usually on a stationary scene, and then it cuts away again

I get the feeling the camera stuck around for 10-15 seconds on one spot you'd see all the horrible 'engine trying to pull itself apart' jankyness that we've come to expect

Not to mention if you quickly moved the camera at something else, the textures would struggle to load for a few seconds and be super low-res while the model rubber banded back and forth. When you try to move, every time you stop you move a tiny tiny bit backwards.

I loving hate Cryengine

drkeiscool
Aug 1, 2014
Soiled Meat

A Neurotic Jew posted:

Star Citizen is actually just a giant advertisement for a mo-cap studio in Hollywood. Once you accept this, everything else falls in to place.

I thought Beowulf was supposed to be the advertisement for mo-cap in Hollywood?

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Phil Burn posted:

I love weed.
In other news, has anyone else seen this? Wulf's been focusing his negative energy or something

https://twitter.com/Accelerwraith/status/656944147258089472

ROTFLMAO!!!

@Accelerwraith I would save the money to increase the voltage for your next visit.

https://twitter.com/cash_roberts_42/status/662229555105497093

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

Toops posted:

Get ready to poo poo yourself.

quote:

We genuinely believe our own mocap studio would significantly improve Star Citizen. The team is very excited about the possibilities for expanding the game beyond what our original budget allowed. We think this is a great example of how we can be responsible with additional money… and a way to continue showing our backers that we’re doing the right thing with their pledges!

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/18305/motion-capture-tech

Hey guys, sounds totally normal and legit, right?

yeah everything points to the exact opposite of that, mush mouth. the spending of money on needless poo poo and going overbudget for the needless poo poo is not being responsible. in fact this whole situation is the very definition of moral hazard where the backers are taking on all the cost and risk and mush mouth gets to jumpstart his hollywood dreams again

Agrajag fucked around with this message at 05:57 on Nov 6, 2015

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

LuiCypher posted:

THE WULGE does realize that the government knows how to get around FOIA requests, right?

Like, data about privately-held companies is typically unavailable for FOIA requests because in order to get that data, one of two things happen:

1) In providing the data, the government guarantees to make it unavailable for FOIA requests because this would be a really easy way to get a competitor's financials.
2) The company ignores it, is charged some minor fee that most write off as the cost of doing business, and the world keeps spinning.

I used to intern at Commerce, so I'm somewhat familiar with guarantees like #1.

This is not even touching the fact that I'm willing to bet the company is headquartered in a country with extremely lax corporate reporting laws, which would therefore make the data non-existent.

EDIT: Blerp. I guess it's in relation to the lawsuit? But why the hell would any government agency make available data related to an ongoing investigation?

They won't. He's an idiot.

http://www.dereksmart.org/2015/08/interstellar-breach/#comment-1802

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx
can't wait to see how Alpa 2.0 is doing!

::starts watching Around the Verse::

::Ben immediately warns people that nobody knows when Alpha 2.0 is coming out, no footage of anything that even resembles a game, 10 minute tour of a construction site with no explanation of how it relates to development in any way::

This is Good For Star Citizen. :thumbsup:

comatose
Nov 23, 2005

Lipstick Apathy
Thanks for the $94 million guys. The game I made for you is a giant pile of poo poo but you funded my dream of getting back into Hollywood.

neonbregna
Aug 20, 2007

Im dead

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

:vince:

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
I would wear a Battleloser 3000AD shirt ironically.

While playing Battlecruiser 3000AD.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

I just wanted an updated freelancer :homebrew:

comatose
Nov 23, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

jaegerx posted:

You're getting 4 motion capture studios instead. You should be ok with that.

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

fuzzknot posted:

Bootcha has a few T-shirts they gave him back in the day. Try asking him (before he winds up setting fire to them).

BOOTCHA CAN I HAVE A T-SHIRT PRETTY PLEASE? I want something to commemorate this epic mess of "crowd funding". in the future I want to be able to point at something physical and tell my kids/grandkids that this happened in my life time

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

jaegerx posted:

Remember how your favorite part of Freelancer was the cut scenes?

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

Sappo569 posted:

That's hilarious.

Seriously - there isn't a single moment in any of the playable modules (or previewed upcoming 2.0 or SQ42 footage) that feels remotely this cinematic and polished.

Meanwhile, the last thing they released has mostly inspired frantic, goofy, and utterly slapdash looking buggy-kills-man videos. The disparity between the promised and the delivered remains as stark as it always has.

It's madness.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Dapper Dan posted:

It creates the appearance of success. 'Look, we have this shiny new office and all this cool poo poo!' It convinces diehards that everything is fine and dandy, why would they be spending this money if they weren't ok?

But when you look at it deeper, it is an oriental rug hiding a rotting enterprise. They have no product. Their funding levels will only decrease from here on out as they only have their community left, as I doubt there will be tons of new backers. They are making a move to one of the most expensive real estate markets in the country with no deadline for a product. There isn't even an indication that the skeleton of the game promised is there. Just disparate modules. Not even SQ42 showed a mission, just walking and talking. They are banking their profit model on mobile FtP games, except there isn't even a game. Just ships, with no indications of balance or function.

When I broke this news in my blog, as is the norm, rabid White Knights called me crazy troll. They didn't even bat an eyelid at the $20K cappuccino machine I said was going in this office.

This is a complete waste of money to move here. Totally.

quote:

Ponzi schemes have a habit of collapsing unpredictability, so it could go on still for awhile.

It won't. I guarantee it.

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

Dapper Dan posted:

HOLY poo poo, they really rented 4 mocap studios for this pile of poo poo? yeah gently caress that this is all kinds of messed up

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,

Agrajag posted:

yeah everything points to the exact opposite of that, mush mouth. the spending of money on needless poo poo and going overbudget for the needless poo poo is not being responsible. in fact this whole situation is the very definition of moral hazard where the backers are taking on all the cost and risk

You sound very serious. I am also very serious about this being a legit enterprise by a champion of the people who is in no way scamming money from retards and PTSD veterans to reboot his hack movie career.

fuzzknot
Mar 23, 2009

Yip yip yip yip yip

Agrajag posted:

BOOTCHA CAN I HAVE A T-SHIRT PRETTY PLEASE? I want something to commemorate this epic mess of "crowd funding". in the future I want to be able to point at something physical and tell my kids/grandkids that this happened in my life time

He'd probably sell (a jpeg of) one to you.

Dirty Hairy
Oct 18, 2015

Lipstick Apathy

fuzzknot posted:

Again, there's no way in hell this really has anything to do with the game. Chris and Sandi both want in the movie industry and can't get in. They could rent studio space for the game, but that wouldn't work for film making. So they say they need to build a studio for a drat space ship game, but they're going to use it instead to attempt to further their movie careers.

In their dealings with Kevin Costner, they might remember the phrase: "If you build it, they will come."

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

Toops posted:

You sound very serious. I am also very serious about this being a legit enterprise by a champion of the people who is in no way scamming money from retards and PTSD veterans to reboot his hack movie career.

mush mouth is crobizzle is croberts is christo roberto

Dirty Hairy
Oct 18, 2015

Lipstick Apathy

Dusty Lens posted:

Refund received.

Initiated Oct 1st.
Generic response Oct 6th.
Human contact Oct 21st.
Account suspended Oct 23rd.
Refund offer extended and accepted Nov 4th. Account shut down.
Refund deposited via paypal Nov 5th. Surprisingly quickly.

CIG covered the fee.
Payment received care of Cloud Imperium Games Corporation.

It's over.

:negative:

What wording are you using to initiate this? Any surprises with CS trying to dissuade you?

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

fuzzknot posted:

He'd probably sell (a jpeg of) one to you.

lol gently caress that i ain't giving a dollar for anything cig related.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Finishing the game with everyone else's continues
It's okay guys they're going to mocap the space ships and buggies and leaking mugs.

fuzzknot
Mar 23, 2009

Yip yip yip yip yip

Dirty Hairy posted:

In their dealings with Kevin Costner, they might remember the phrase: "If you build it, they will come."

Is that how this happened? They were supposed to build a baseball field but accidentally made a film studio instead?

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

fuzzknot posted:

Is that how this happened? They were supposed to build a baseball field but accidentally made a film studio instead?

well gently caress now we need more money for a baseball field

Nicholas
Mar 7, 2001

Were those not fine days, when we drank of clear honey, and spoke in calm tones of our love for the stuff?
That "Sneak Peak" escape pod video (released yesterday) is actually recycled footage from like, a year ago

Someone points this out and then an hour later disco lando shows up to say "btw that's actually from last december. also nothing like this actually exists in the game" (the term game here is used loosely)

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/3ro59m/atv2_05_sneakpeek_retailator_escape_pod_recovery/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,

Agrajag posted:

mush mouth is crobizzle is croberts is christo roberto

Oh mah bad. i am Chris Roberts's conscience. I don't recognize what this man has become.

• Locked thread