Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Deceitful Penguin posted:

I dunno. I'm hoping that they added the mod support for more eras because they wanted to add more of their own, but knowing Paradox, they might just add even later, blobbier ones.

I'm actually somewhat curious as to whether folks play many of the later starts. I mostly just played Viking age and now Charlemagne, the latter ones just seem even fuller of big, annoying blobs and with less variety in religions.

Yeah, I have that problem with the later start dates too. I wish the TTG would get updated or something, I liked the randomised setups.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
I dunno so far the later blobs seem weaker and less stable. The Seljuk's don't seem to have nearly the staying power of the Abbasids, and the Byzantines often start falling apart around the Alexiad start date. But I haven't played these dates as much as the earlier ones so maybe I've just gotten lucky.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Only start date I've played later than 1066 is the Genghis Khan one because gently caress yeah Genghis Khan.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
The Abassid isn't stable at all in CM anymore. It implodes almost immediately. I've never seen the Byzantines collapse though.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

In all my time playing the game, I've never actually seen the Byzantines implode of their own accord like the Abbasids or Charlemagne's realm do. If they do collapse, it's always because of a foreign invader tearing poo poo up in Anatolia.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

I dunno where this fucker got 13k event troops from but it's making it really hard to conquer Cyrodiil when he owns half the place thanks to that.

Maybe they'll go away when he dies.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Volkerball posted:

The Abassid isn't stable at all in CM anymore. It implodes almost immediately. I've never seen the Byzantines collapse though.

Me neither.

But in my last game something unusual happened: the empire itself was seized by a mongol sunni khan from Khasaria (how come? Its a mystery). It had the effect of triggering a crusade for Greece, which was won by Frisia. The rest of the empire then was easily conquered by its neighbors.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Alexiad is the secret best starting date, only problem is the lack of Norse pagans if that's your thing.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

Funky Valentine posted:

In all my time playing the game, I've never actually seen the Byzantines implode of their own accord like the Abbasids or Charlemagne's realm do. If they do collapse, it's always because of a foreign invader tearing poo poo up in Anatolia.

They really need to beef up heresies. Iconoclasts just don't wreck things like they should.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
I've just started playing this and I'm having fun but I don't feel as involved as I did in CK1. I'm playing as Mumu and having a bitch of a time getting new claims to press, either by fabrication or marriage. Meanwhile my vassals seem pretty content to chill and not cause much of a fuss besides the odd heretic bishop and the simplified technology/building mechanics mean there's not much to do while I wait for things to happen. Am I doing something wrong?

Party In My Diapee
Jan 24, 2014
I definitively miss becoming friends or rivals with neighboring rulers, hunting with your buddies, having/sending children away as wards and all the more personal events that would make things more immersive from CK1. CK2 i feel should be even more about playing as a person, and not so much a political unit. Way of Life helped a bit.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Do you have the Way of Life expo? It brings in a bunch of events like that. I haven't played CK1 though, so I can't say how much it compares.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Fuligin posted:

Alexiad is the secret best starting date, only problem is the lack of Norse pagans if that's your thing.
1081 and 1204/5 are the best starting points for a CK2 game. It is known.

UrbicaMortis
Feb 16, 2012

Hmm, how shall I post today?

Back To 99 posted:

I definitively miss becoming friends or rivals with neighboring rulers, hunting with your buddies, having/sending children away as wards and all the more personal events that would make things more immersive from CK1. CK2 i feel should be even more about playing as a person, and not so much a political unit. Way of Life helped a bit.

I definitely want them to lean heavier on that aspect in CK3. Although really I want them to make a new game that's all politics with no war or map painting, maybe set in a single city or something, and have a lot of emphasis on character interaction and strategy evolving from that.

Dr. Tough
Oct 22, 2007

UrbicaMortis posted:

I definitely want them to lean heavier on that aspect in CK3. Although really I want them to make a new game that's all politics with no war or map painting, maybe set in a single city or something, and have a lot of emphasis on character interaction and strategy evolving from that.

Well Paradox did recently buy World of Darkness so your wish might come true...

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

ELECTRONIC OLD MEN RUNNING THE WORLD

catlord posted:

Yeah, I have that problem with the later start dates too. I wish the TTG would get updated or something, I liked the randomised setups.

What does TTG stand for?

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Walton Simons posted:

What does TTG stand for?

Oh, the Titular Title Generator. The original goal got added into vanilla, but it had a secondary option to randomise the world and break it up into bits for you to play around in. I really liked it.

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

ELECTRONIC OLD MEN RUNNING THE WORLD
That sounds amazing. Yeah, I'd love to see that get updated.

Edison was a dick
Apr 3, 2010

direct current :roboluv: only

Mister Adequate posted:

I dunno where this fucker got 13k event troops from but it's making it really hard to conquer Cyrodiil when he owns half the place thanks to that.

Maybe they'll go away when he dies.

I had that happen to me from some necromancer. I dragged the war out long enough for him to die and his troops went away.

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

Volkerball posted:

A funny thing happened with the Abassid from my 867 Viking start (with CM included, but maybe it's the earliest start date that somehow does this?)...they seemed to be doing kinda badly when the Seljuks popped up and started pressing them, and some fractures happened, but then they figured to just start gulping up Byzantine kingdoms, one huge gulp at a time. I will admit, tho, that my Viking raiding parties sacking Constantinople and trashing their armies may have had a hand in that, but yea...in the end Abassids were pretty solid strong with Greece + Anatolia + Egypt, while Seljuks went to beat on the Steppe people.

Tho funnily enough, after the Orthodox got the poo poo beat out of them but good, the Catholics actually called a Crusade on Greece and the entire kingdom was awarded to the loving Teutonic Knights Order.

So yea...Byzantines can die...and Abassids can survive I guess was the point of me typing all this.

CrazyLoon fucked around with this message at 14:08 on Nov 5, 2015

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
A lot of crazy stuff can happen, especially now the game is so complex.
An example:
Steppe nomads have a chance switch religions when they're hired by different religion rulers. If one switches to Catholicism from Judaism, inherits the Khaganate, then joins the Crusade for Jerusalem, wins, promptly croaks, handing the Khaganate over to the other, still Jewish brother, you can get the quite frankly bizarre situation of the Kingdom of Israel, full of Christian Lords, led by a Jewish Kazar.

Oh, and in that game I found out that the Papacy can be a valid prepared invasion kingdom. Yeah. To bad his kid then promptly invaded Aquitane, robbing me of all my lands. Alas.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

So apparently if you join a faction for independence, it can intimidate your leige into transferring a bunch of vassals under your control?

Also I've finally figured out what county capitals are.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

SlothfulCobra posted:

So apparently if you join a faction for independence, it can intimidate your leige into transferring a bunch of vassals under your control?

Also I've finally figured out what county capitals are.
They do anything they can to try and please you, sometimes. If you ever try playing vassal games and be powerful while also being wrong religion/culture so the character dislikes his liege, he'll try the same thing he would on NPCs on you. Including giving you titles, assigning the chancellor/Religion Dude on you and even yea, bribing you with titles.
I'm more used to getting threatened though. :/

UrbicaMortis
Feb 16, 2012

Hmm, how shall I post today?

Dr. Tough posted:

Well Paradox did recently buy World of Darkness so your wish might come true...

This is what I'm hoping for. Vampire is a setting already designed for that type of gameplay anyway.

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY
Why did the Github link get removed on the After the End thread?

Party In My Diapee
Jan 24, 2014
Until that Olaf guy responds just by looking at the commits it seems to be very buggy atm, so maybe that's it. Here it is anyway https://github.com/Ofaloaf/postapoc

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Raserys posted:

Back To 99 posted:

Until that Olaf guy responds just by looking at the commits it seems to be very buggy atm, so maybe that's it. Here it is anyway https://github.com/Ofaloaf/postapoc
It what now?

...haha, what the gently caress? I don't know why a mod removed the Github links.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Raserys posted:

Ofaloaf posted:

It what now?

...haha, what the gently caress? I don't know why a mod removed the Github links.

Had a dad thinks github falls afoul of Paradox's restrictions on off-site file hosting: https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/rules-for-user-made-mods-and-edits-of-pds-games.708039/page-31#post-20174135

That seems sort of silly to me, github should fall under "file share site designed for use by the public", even if it is a little technical. Try going over his head to Castellon?

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

Autonomous Monster posted:

That seems sort of silly to me, github should fall under "file share site designed for use by the public", even if it is a little technical. Try going over his head to Castellon?

I presume the objection lies with it being relatively easily found, as opposed to, say, some random Mediafire link. If I just google "after the end ck2", I get the GitHub on the fifth result, which would let me download it without owning the game, and Paradox don't like that poo poo, I would wager. Get the feeling they won't budge on that.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

TheMcD posted:

I presume the objection lies with it being relatively easily found, as opposed to, say, some random Mediafire link. If I just google "after the end ck2", I get the GitHub on the fifth result, which would let me download it without owning the game, and Paradox don't like that poo poo, I would wager. Get the feeling they won't budge on that.

Maybe, but having a github- and having it easily discoverable via Google- doesn't seem to be a problem, just posting the link. If you're right, it's bolting the barn door after the animals have fled.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Had a dad thinks github falls afoul of Paradox's restrictions on off-site file hosting: https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/rules-for-user-made-mods-and-edits-of-pds-games.708039/page-31#post-20174135

What the what? That's dumb, for everyone outside of the dev team Github basically just works like any other filehosting site. It's a great, easy way to share the current beta build of the mod without having to constantly upload and reupload to mediafire or wherever.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

Maybe, but having a github- and having it easily discoverable via Google- doesn't seem to be a problem, just posting the link. If you're right, it's bolting the barn door after the animals have fled.

Well, yeah, but since the point of it is to have a way to not constantly have to go "here's hotfix 1 and here's hotfix 2 and here's hotfix 3" and instead just being able to say "if you have bugs, it'll either be fixed in the version from the GitHub or we haven't fixed it yet", not being able to post the link is still kind of a problem.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Well, this turn of events is mildly upsetting. We've been sharing a Github link ever since Sam made the first thread more than a year ago now, and no-one's ever warned us this was a no-no and made Github explicitly verboten before now.

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

Ofaloaf posted:

Well, this turn of events is mildly upsetting. We've been sharing a Github link ever since Sam made the first thread more than a year ago now, and no-one's ever warned us this was a no-no and made Github explicitly verboten before now.

Then this lack of their communication is something Paradox could really work on.

I mean look, I don't mind them doing this to give pirates an extra incentive in convenience. Hell, lots of savvy game companies are doing this and I can't really blame them too much for it. But if you're gonna take such a measure, then make sure you post a very clear and visible announcement in the forum/community rules section, that explains why this in particular is a no-no on their official channels. Given your reaction (and since I don't particularly bother with Paradox forums myself), I assume no such thing currently exists and in the end legit modders just wind up finding out about it like you did.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

I get the anti-piracy measure-- pretty much the moment I saw that all the mods were on the official forums that you have to register to get access to, I went "oh! duh!", I just don't see Github being a violation of that. Sure, Googling After the End will spit out the Github link as one of the results, but that'll happen with any mod. Otherwise you'd have to go on the official forums to get any info on it, and accessing Github from there's functionally the same as clicking on any other link to go to external hosting, isn't it?

pwnyXpress
Mar 28, 2007

Ofaloaf posted:

Steam Workshop pls

A Handed Missus
Aug 6, 2012

aw son of a bitch

I thought the Game of Thrones mod was dead, but 1.0 was released just three days ago!

http://citadel.prophpbb.com/topic9874.html

e: still not available through the Steam Workshop

A Handed Missus fucked around with this message at 14:48 on Nov 6, 2015

Alikchi
Aug 18, 2010

Thumbs up I agree

Steam workshop has a file size limit that makes mods with new maps a no go I believe.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

A Handed Missus posted:

aw son of a bitch

I thought the Game of Thrones mod was dead, but 1.0 was released just three days ago!

http://citadel.prophpbb.com/topic9874.html

e: still not available through the Steam Workshop

No Nomad mechanics from Horse Lords :lol:

I'm sure it's more accurate, but in this case accuracy is really dull.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

No Nomad mechanics from Horse Lords :lol:

I'm sure it's more accurate, but in this case accuracy is really dull.

Apparently they did that to make sure the Dothraki didn't require HL to play (which is weird because how does vanilla handle that case where certain titles are in the history files as nomadic but the player doesn't own HL?)

That said if the Dothraki had vanilla nomad mechanics they'd overrun Essos in short order so maybe this is for the best!

• Locked thread