Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

Nicholas posted:

That "Sneak Peak" escape pod video (released yesterday) is actually recycled footage from like, a year ago

Someone points this out and then an hour later disco lando shows up to say "btw that's actually from last december. also nothing like this actually exists in the 'game'"

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/3ro59m/atv2_05_sneakpeek_retailator_escape_pod_recovery/

:vince:

seriously all the self ownage the last few pages is giving me whiplash. can we moderate this to a manageable level?

VVV why do you still have money in this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx
I'm still complete in the dark about Alpha 2.0, but at least I know where entertainment lawyer Ortwin Freyermuth will be chilling out at my expense :thumbsup:

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Dapper Dan posted:

Yeah, I think we are seeing the beginning of the endgame. My guess is that they are going to release some lovely Squadron 42 that is 10 hours of cut-scenes 3 hours of game play. This will ship with an extremely buggy 'persistent universe' that is completely empty and devoid of any substance, never to be fixed. Backers will get their 'ships', but they will all functionally be the same with a different coat of paint. The FPS will be extremely basic and in a separate module that has three weapons and is deathmatch only with two or three maps of generic future shooter. They will do the bare minimum to meet their legal obligations while they try to get back into the movie industry with the mo-cap studio.

If they do anything less than the bare minimum, they are completely hosed. There already has been a successful lawsuit against a Kickstarter that used the money for other poo poo and didn't deliver a product (not doing the bare minimum counts the same). You simply do not get away with pissing away 94 million dollars and using it to do something else while loving over everyone who gave you money. That's called fraud. I think Star Citizens are retarded, but even a retard can feel when someone is openly taking a poo poo on their face.

It is because it can't be for Star Citizen. It simply loving can't. There is no universe where that makes any sense. They are literally burning money if this is just for SC poo poo because they already have a mo-cap studio they paid for SC in Manchester. Simon Elms runs cubic motion and has been around since the Gizmondo days, they simply wouldn't abandon him. It has to be to get back into the film industry in some capacity.

Remember when I broke the news that Sandi was shooting pet movie projects on RSI equipment, paid for with RSI cash? Think bigger.

Yes - this is the end-game playing out. Think is, this build out has been going on all year - and long before some guy named Derek Smart became a PR nightmare for them in July 2015.

I'm going to say it again, they're done. Completely.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

G0RF posted:

They've said its "our guy in China" / "our guy in the China factory" before - but not given a company name or anything. I suppose if someone here has ordered and still has the box it shipped in, you could get the address and figure out the manufacturer.

But honestly- they can't be using one guy for everything. The ship models probably come from a toy spaceship / "priceless collectibles" manufacturer (one assumes in Asia). They probably did dog tags somewhere else, too. Maybe the guy in China just deals with the clothing / mugs / mousepads and simpler stuff like that...

It's a total mess, that's for sure. Ben even made fun of how disorganized it all was on RtV recently when he said "our guy in China found a bunch of old lost stuff behind a box - so it's on sale! New old stuff is BACK!"

Just one of so many areas where CIG keeps cutting corners and avoiding professionalization. It makes no sense whatsoever-- not when it takes 4 weeks for stuff to get delivered to most fans. Not when those delays actually lead to even more trouble tickets which CIG Santa Monica has NO WAY to even resolve. And Heaven forbid you actually get a defective product shipped to you- you'll wait weeks to get your ticket replied to, and then weeks more for a replacement.

It's all so dumb that of course it's what CIG would do.
Generally the way it works is you have a Chinese contact over there that you contract it all to, and they're the ones that hunt down the actual manufacturers and subcontract the different product runs out. Which is why cheap Chinese products are so notoriously awful - because your middleman is of course skimming as much as he can possibly can, and the factory end is cutting every corner it can to make a profit after either competitively bidding as low as possible to get the work, or straight-up buying the work from the middleman.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

Hey. At least they reused something instead of croberts demanding it be redone for the 30th time. It's progress.

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

skaboomizzy posted:

If I could look one year into the future, the two things I'd look at first are lottery numbers and the Star Citizen thread.

I can't imagine how the brown sea will still be excited and waiting for the game that's "content complete" and coming any day now, but I know they will be.

Unless our hero burns it all down first.

To be fair, they're claiming that the "baby" PU is content complete, not the entire game.

They're full of poo poo regardless, but it's not like CIG is claiming the full game is going to be released in 2015 or anything.

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx

Nicholas posted:

That "Sneak Peak" escape pod video (released yesterday) is actually recycled footage from like, a year ago

Someone points this out and then an hour later disco lando shows up to say "btw that's actually from last december. also nothing like this actually exists in the game" (the term game here is used loosely)

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/3ro59m/atv2_05_sneakpeek_retailator_escape_pod_recovery/

:lol:

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx

Agrajag posted:

VVV why do you still have money in this?

I don't and fortunately never did.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

Nicholas posted:

Someone points this out and then an hour later disco lando shows up to say "btw that's actually from last december. also nothing like this actually exists in the game" (the term game here is used loosely)

Perfekt.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Dapper Dan posted:

They purchased the hardware for it in 2013:

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/transmission/13104-Video-Mocap-Update

They might have set up in Austin (or never set it up), but whatever the case it was never used. They went to Cubic Motion in Manchester. Which is run by Simon Elms (if you want more nepotism, he worked with Erin Roberts at Warthog Games and then later for Gizmondo. It was also more expensive than finding a space for the tech they already had). The video says 'we don't have to go to another studio!' (and then they went and gave money to one of Chris' friends at probably a great expense because he was CEO of Cubic Motion).

So, that tech is now either sitting in a dumpster or sold at a reduced price for new tech for more motion capture now that they are moving to a new office. Why do they need more motion capture? Who the gently caress knows.

EDIT:
I can't even say if it is nepotism or if CRoberts is simply just retarded at managing poo poo.

As I said in my latest blog, all four are lifelong friends. So it's not inconceivable that Simon's company got top dollar for their "services".

fuzzknot
Mar 23, 2009

Yip yip yip yip yip

Agrajag posted:

well gently caress now we need more money for a baseball field

Why not? It makes as much sense as any of the rest of it.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Agrajag posted:

HOLY poo poo, they really rented 4 mocap studios for this pile of poo poo? yeah gently caress that this is all kinds of messed up

No, they bought one, rented two, and are now building a fourth.

Nicholas posted:

Welp.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Karl come back to us. Explain the mocap studio. You're better than the confirmed kiddy diddler seraph84.

Gravy Train Robber
Sep 15, 2007

by zen death robot
This saga is more entertaining than the game could have ever been

The Saddest Robot
Apr 17, 2007
So they're flat out admitting that the 'sneak peak' video is just a bunch of stuff they CGI'd together a year ago? Basically a rendered cutscene.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Me watching this thread:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m20sZtQZWsw

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

The Saddest Robot posted:

So they're flat out admitting that the 'sneak peak' video is just a bunch of stuff they CGI'd together a year ago? Basically a rendered cutscene.

Yup. Were you expecting progress?

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

jaegerx posted:

Karl come back to us. Explain the mocap studio. You're better than the confirmed kiddy diddler seraph84.

he's an auditor so im sure his expertise will be able to shed some light on all of this

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Sappo569 posted:

Someone else mentioned the old benchmark software, and it's pretty apt for this video as well

Everything looks pre-rendered, scripted, and the camera lingers JUST long enough, usually on a stationary scene, and then it cuts away again

I get the feeling the camera stuck around for 10-15 seconds on one spot you'd see all the horrible 'engine trying to pull itself apart' jankyness that we've come to expect

Not even that amount of time. Shot-by-shot:

0:15- engines on retaliator are in "Landed" position. This isn't even the flight model, just the hangar model stuck in space.

0:20- the "Emergency" textures on the floor constantly disappear and reappear

0:25- the escape pod clearly clips through the hull of the ship in multiple locations. Explosion is the generic FPS grenade effect.

0:49- Planet is clearly the textured circle from the Broken moon map, does not even appear spherical. Terrain is a bunch of random noise garbage.

1:13- Avenger appears to have been cut out of another shot and superimposed over planet- there's a weird thick black outline around the ship as it flies.

Every single aspect of the video is slipshod and poorly constructed hack work.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

The Saddest Robot posted:

Yes

Chocobo
Oct 15, 2012

Here comes a new challenger!
Oven Wrangler

Sarsapariller posted:

Not even that amount of time. Shot-by-shot:

0:15- engines on retaliator are in "Landed" position. This isn't even the flight model, just the hangar model stuck in space.

0:20- the "Emergency" textures on the floor constantly disappear and reappear

0:25- the escape pod clearly clips through the hull of the ship in multiple locations. Explosion is the generic FPS grenade effect.

0:49- Planet is clearly the textured circle from the Broken moon map, does not even appear spherical. Terrain is a bunch of random noise garbage.

1:13- Avenger appears to have been cut out of another shot and superimposed over planet- there's a weird thick black outline around the ship as it flies.

Every single aspect of the video is slipshod and poorly constructed hack work.

:eyepop:

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,

Agrajag posted:

well gently caress now we need more money for a baseball field

Ben: Hey... Dad?

[Chris turns]

Ben: [choked up] You wanna have a catch?

:gary: PAAAAAARRRRRRRRPPP!!!!!!!!

The Saddest Robot
Apr 17, 2007

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Yup. Were you expecting progress?

No. I just wasn't expecting them to start reusing promo pieces from 1+ years ago as new content, then to admit to it.

Dapper Dan
Dec 16, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

D_Smart posted:

As I said in my latest blog, all four are lifelong friends. So it's not inconceivable that Simon's company got top dollar for their "services".

Yeah, seriously. I mean, that's ok if that's your only mocap studio. Fine, whatever. that poo poo happens all the time. But...

Agrajag posted:

HOLY poo poo, they really rented 4 mocap studios for this pile of poo poo? yeah gently caress that this is all kinds of messed up

They bought 2, rented 2. So instead of building a baseball field, they built two movie studios and rented two concert halls. And the ghosts are all crying in their sleep.

D_Smart posted:

Remember when I broke the news that Sandi was shooting pet movie projects on RSI equipment, paid for with RSI cash? Think bigger.

Yes - this is the end-game playing out. Think is, this build out has been going on all year - and long before some guy named Derek Smart became a PR nightmare for them in July 2015.

I'm going to say it again, they're done. Completely.

D_Smart posted:

When I broke this news in my blog, as is the norm, rabid White Knights called me crazy troll. They didn't even bat an eyelid at the $20K cappuccino machine I said was going in this office.

This is a complete waste of money to move here. Totally.

It won't. I guarantee it.

I kind of think you are right (I am a hedging my bets kind of guy) since you have been right about a lot and I said it could go on for awhile was before I found out they had done mocap 4 times before. Its unfuckingbelievable, really. And it seems they think they can get away with it instead of just having a bug out fund and a flight to Venezuela when this all goes tits up. It is loving absurd to think they are so delusional they can just gently caress around with 90 million and think no consequences will happen because it is crowd funded.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

jaegerx posted:

My favorite part of this dumpster fire is the white knights who show up to defend the game for a week or two, only to be consistently and completely undermined by CIG's own actions. We don't even have to do anything- just sit around and watch them post increasingly desperate justifications for increasingly ludicrous waste, followed by defeated silence as they realize it was never us they were arguing against- it was themselves.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

Ghostlight posted:

Generally the way it works is you have a Chinese contact over there that you contract it all to, and they're the ones that hunt down the actual manufacturers and subcontract the different product runs out. Which is why cheap Chinese products are so notoriously awful - because your middleman is of course skimming as much as he can possibly can, and the factory end is cutting every corner it can to make a profit after either competitively bidding as low as possible to get the work, or straight-up buying the work from the middleman.
That part I get (though I think it's foolish, save for specialty items.)

What I don't think any of us yet understand is why they use China for their merch shipping center. I think I heard on a podcast that nearly half the online merch buyers live in North America, maybe 1/5 are in Germany. Australia is supposedly third biggest after Germany. The rest (EU states, South Korea, a few others) are the pocket change.

They've chosen to center distribution in the one market with likely one of the smallest customer bases-- and furthest from their largest customer base. The only the more nonsensical would be relocating it to the moon.

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

Dirty Hairy posted:

What wording are you using to initiate this? Any surprises with CS trying to dissuade you?

Please keep in mind that I am a barely functioning idiot and so the course I followed should be considered a guideline at best.

Initial email

quote:

Good afternoon.

I am requesting a full refund.

Thank you.

They then ask me to blame the escapist or Smart. To both parties I imagine I owe my refund, in one way or another. My response:

quote:

Good afternoon.

I am confirming that I would like my account refunded and closed.

My decision is not motivated by any press or media communication but rather one of project scope. The game has grown beyond the scope of what was described when I first backed. The growth has almost entirely consisted of aspects brought up after the fact and, as a result, multiple delays that have pushed the expected delivery date far beyond what was originally promised.

I hope that this reasoning assists you with your record keeping and I thank you in advance for your timely response to this message.

You may issue the value of the pledges in my account care of paypal via the email associated with this account. If an alternative route of reimbursement is required I'll seek to accommodate.

Thank you.

Everything else that was exchanged were variations of "Hello where are we with this" and "Yes, cancel everything give me my money, no I do not care if I cannot use this account to post on your forum."

Mostly it was just a lot of waiting. Mentioning chargebacks will probably shorten your wait. I didn't do that. CS never attempted to convince me to not request a refund, as they have others. I can't imagine anyone was sorry to see me go.

That was a lot of words I am sorry everyone.

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

Dapper Dan posted:

Yeah, seriously. I mean, that's ok if that's your only mocap studio. Fine, whatever. that poo poo happens all the time. But...

They bought 2, rented 2. So instead of building a baseball field, they built two movie studios and rented two concert halls. And the ghosts are all crying in their sleep.

I kind of think you are right (I am a hedging my bets kind of guy) since you have been right about a lot and I said it could go on for awhile was before I found out they had done mocap 4 times before. Its unfuckingbelievable, really. And it seems they think they can get away with it instead of just having a bug out fund and a flight to Venezuela when this all goes tits up. It is loving absurd to think they are so delusional they can just gently caress around with 90 million and think no consequences will happen because it is crowd funded.

im pretty sure mush mouth is in the clear as long as he delivers the very barest of bones on a "game". crowd funding is like the wild west right now and the recipients are making out like [insert whatever the saying is]

A large farva
Sep 5, 2006

Ramrod XTreme
This thread has convinced me I am smart for not giving money to internet spaceships, but terribly stupid in not giving a cat a good home.

Too many drat cute cats in this thread. Guess I know what my x-mas gift is going to be this year :3:

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

Nicholas posted:

lmao gently caress

Remember the AC 2.0 demo they previewed? Remember at the end the ooh-aah moment with all the markers of interest on the HUD floating in space? Why couldn't they do a preview of one of those dozens of area of interest? Oh, I know why, because those areas only exist as fake blips on the HUD, they have no game, the only have what they prepare for demonstrations.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Sarsapariller posted:

My favorite part of this dumpster fire is the white knights who show up to defend the game for a week or two, only to be consistently and completely undermined by CIG's own actions. We don't even have to do anything- just sit around and watch them post increasingly desperate justifications for increasingly ludicrous waste, followed by defeated silence as they realize it was never us they were arguing against- it was themselves.

Yup. Pretty much. It's painful to watch, really.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Justin Tyme posted:

lmao gently caress

Remember the AC 2.0 demo they previewed? Remember at the end the ooh-aah moment with all the markers of interest on the HUD floating in space? Why couldn't they do a preview of one of those dozens of area of interest? Oh, I know why, because those areas only exist as fake blips on the HUD, they have no game, the only have what they prepare for demonstrations.

Yes. I called that one (staged demos) awhile back too.

http://www.dereksmart.org/2015/08/interstellar-breach/#comment-1800

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Kewpuh is probably asking lowtax for a raise with all the posters joining just to poo poo on star citizen.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
What was the preview with the stupid mongoloid looking fucker looking out into space while drinking his coffee?

There was a great post a thread or two ago how the one scene basically encapsulates the dreams of all these autistic backers who want to abandon their real lives and live through this game. After spending a grueling 10 hour shift working at a space control panel in the space mine it just feels so good to kick back with a cup of joe.

Shimrra Jamaane fucked around with this message at 06:40 on Nov 6, 2015

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
I was the victim of a confidence trick / scam when I was younger, and the one thing I remember most about it was that it was embarrassing. Like truly dictionary definition of the word embarrassing. There are thousands of people -- a lot of them as old I was then -- on the verge of losing a lot more money than I did.

:negative:

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

Omi-Polari posted:

I was the victim of a confidence trick / scam when I was younger, and the one thing I remember most about it was that it was embarrassing. Like truly dictionary definition of the word embarrassing. There are thousands of people -- a lot of them as old I was then -- on the verge of losing a lot more money than I did.

:negative:

my eye opening moment was back in school when I trusted the fucker who sold Spore.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Agrajag posted:

my eye opening moment was back in school when I trusted the fucker who sold Spore.

The dick monsters were amazing. Don't you ever fault him for that.

Dapper Dan
Dec 16, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Agrajag posted:

im pretty sure mush mouth is in the clear as long as he delivers the very barest of bones on a "game". crowd funding is like the wild west right now and the recipients are making out like [insert whatever the saying is]

It might protect him from government action, but I imagine Civil Actions might be less. Regardless, if he does, you can bet your rear end people will take notice when he fucks off with other people's money and nothing happens to him. He might actually be the catalyst that adds some accountability to this poo poo.

redwalrus
Jul 27, 2013

:stoke:

Toops posted:

Proof: They been hirin' so many peeps they can barely even fit 'em on the dang STAIRS!!! NEED NEW OFFICE WITH 32 HD STATE OF THE ART MOCAP CAMERAS AND A HUGE OFFICE FOR OUR SKETCHY LAWYER, STAT!!!

my trained eye just caught this, them stairs be flexin
I used 200lbs per person but honestly taking a second look at some of the people its probably a higher average.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot
crowd funding really does need to be reigned in that's for sure. just looking a little deeper and you see story after story of similar poo poo, only at a much smaller scale, happening all the time. it's why i really do not like or believe in crowd funding

there is zero benefit to me as the consumer to be taking on all the risk for the production of a product with no legal recourse to boot

• Locked thread