Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jwang
Mar 31, 2013
Did you missed the part where Sweet Mask obsesses over Saitama's strength? He's already part of Caped Baldy's harem. Apparently this story still follows some tropes, such as "strength recognizing strength".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

Mystic Mongol posted:

Honestly I just didn't think I knew enough about watchdog man to comment. Like, what's his deal?

You don't wanna know his deal, because once you figure it out you'll be just another corpse under the pile of bodies he's amassed during his pilgrimage through Q-city.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Mystic Mongol posted:

Then you have all the heroes who are teetering on the edge of heroism and narcissism, like Genos, King, Fubuki, Superalloy Darkshine, and Pri-Pri Prisoner, who could all wind up total shitbags or noble heroes, based on who they wind up listening to. And then there's plenty of bad influences, like Tank Top Master who leads a small army of superpowered shitbags, Dr. Bofoy who has absolutely no interest in human life, or Handsomly Masked Sweet Mask who uses his position as the most popular and influential hero to tell all the other heroes to never show mercy or understanding in any situation.

Tank Top Master's followers all seem like assholes, but that's based on like one scene, and nothing about the main man makes him seem too unpleasant.

Kegslayer
Jul 23, 2007

TheKingofSprings posted:

Tank Top Master's followers all seem like assholes, but that's based on like one scene, and nothing about the main man makes him seem too unpleasant.

He's wearing a tank top :colbert:

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

jwang posted:

Did you missed the part where Sweet Mask obsesses over Saitama's strength? He's already part of Caped Baldy's harem. Apparently this story still follows some tropes, such as "strength recognizing strength".
I still think he was referring to "God" in that scene instead of Saitama. Actually I went back and read it again so nevermind me.

SatansBestBuddy fucked around with this message at 07:37 on Nov 6, 2015

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Kegslayer posted:

He's wearing a tank top :colbert:

that's the opposite of unpleasant.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
What chapter does the Garou arc start on again? I enjoyed the hell out of it but it deserves a reread.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Shinjobi posted:

What chapter does the Garou arc start on again? I enjoyed the hell out of it but it deserves a reread.

Chapter 45 all the way to Chapter 94, I believe.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

jwang posted:

Yeah, Sweet Mask is already, uh, not necessarily antagonistic. But I figure he's still not someone who's going to play nice, for whatever reason. Especially if that's a disagreement on philosophy.

sharktamer
Oct 30, 2011

Shark tamer ridiculous
So who's in the list of people who know how powerful Saitama is? Before the Garou arc wasn't it just Genos, Bang and Speed of sound Sonic (lol)? Now it seems to include practically every S-class hero as well.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

King knew before the Garou arc really kicked into gear. I'd consider the King bit before the arc personally.

Myurton
Jan 2, 2004

I <3 Asuka,
omg anime fag

jwang posted:

What chapter was that in again so I can go back and read it?

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Myurton posted:

What chapter was that in again so I can go back and read it?

Chapter 97. He's staring at a pic of Saitama, and then later on he's thinking about him.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

sharktamer posted:

So who's in the list of people who know how powerful Saitama is? Before the Garou arc wasn't it just Genos, Bang and Speed of sound Sonic (lol)? Now it seems to include practically every S-class hero as well.

At least one of Fubuki's followers are aware after the Demonic Fan fight and there's also Dr. Genus. Common Rider as well.

Myurton
Jan 2, 2004

I <3 Asuka,
omg anime fag

Elentor posted:

Chapter 97. He's staring at a pic of Saitama, and then later on he's thinking about him.

Thanks for the info.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

sharktamer posted:

if sonic actually knew how strong saitama was he wouldn't be trying to beat him. or, i guess he really is that big of an idiot

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Sonic just can't deal with someone being faster than he is. He has probably already tried out that lightspeed guy and found him wanting.

Kegslayer
Jul 23, 2007

sharktamer posted:

I think the list goes Genos, Bang, Licenceless Rider, King, Garou, Sweet Mask and the guy from the House of Evolution.

I mean the other S classes are aware that Saitama is a strong dude but they're not fully aware of the extent of his strength.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Kegslayer posted:

I think the list goes Genos, Bang, Licenceless Rider, King, Garou, Sweet Mask and the guy from the House of Evolution.

I mean the other S classes are aware that Saitama is a strong dude but they're not fully aware of the extent of his strength.

And Zombieman, Zombieman was awake during the fight with Garou.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Most of the spectators to that fight seem to have seen it as a weak person rising past his limits to face the ultimate enemy. And it was, actually, but with the roles reversed. That Saitama was barely trying at all doesn't seem to have registered, possibly because Garou had just gotten through wiping the floor with everyone so they weren't inclined to see him as an underdog.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Mystic Mongol posted:

Honestly I just didn't think I knew enough about watchdog man to comment. Like, what's his deal?

Probably his coolest moment was when the hero association sent him to protect a city they heard was going to be attacked by monsters. They eventually contacted him to check if the monsters came and he said "nothing interesting to report" then cutting over to the city to show that he already killed all the monsters.

Berk Berkly
Apr 9, 2009

by zen death robot
About those who know about Saitama. I don't think too many people actually, really know how truly powerful Saitama really is.

Genos: Chronologically speaking, probably the first person who realized how far beyond Saitama is compared to everyone. Only Garou personally understands better.

Dr. Genus: Knows Saitama is impossibly powerful after the events of the House of Evolution Arc. Last seen being a schlub when Zombie-man paid him a visit.

Hammerhead: Probably too dumb to really understand, though experienced Saitama brushing off his 100% MAX Power Armor like nothing and survived.

Sonic: Despite Saitama repeatedly making a fool of the super-ninja, he still seems to think he can hold a candle. Don't know if he's just foolish, dumb, prideful, or all the above.

Bang: Witnessed Saitama Shoryuken the Doom-Meteor into shrapnel when the other heroes couldn't scratch it. He doesn't seem the type to fool himself so he's at least aware of his S++ Class level strength likely suspects he is is Godtier.

Garou: After being completely punked while at peak TRUEEVIL, he is likely the person currently most intimately aware of Saitama Godtierness.

MetalKnight|Bofoi: Has become distinctly aware of Saitama's strength after recent events, putting together his Hero record and footage of our boy smacking the Pro's robot guardian's around. He considers Saitama a threat, and likely S-rank power or greater but perhaps not the true extent.

King: Is well aware that Saitama is the real deal. Keeps up the facade though to keep from embarrassing himself/everyone.

Rider: Is keenly aware that Saitama was/is lowballing his power, especially after the events of the Sea King Arc.

Blizzard: Is also aware that Saitama is no joke, but still seems to cling to the idea that her sister is stronger, despite being overwhelmed by Golden Sperm and Garou.

Tornado: She seems to be in a state of stubborn denial about Saitama, likely because she probably hasn't really encounter anyone stronger than her until very recently and Saitama's 'lowly' status and appearance/demeanor don't help. But with the current arc, that might change pretty soon. Begrudgingly is being forced to keep admitting he is much stronger than she gives him credit for.

Sweet Mask, Child Emperor, Zombieman: These three, despite watching Saitama defeat Garou they still seem to disrespect, even going so far as to pull rank when he refuses to kill. How much they really want to admit, and how much they chalk up to fluke, luck, or the old 'well the other heroes OBVIOUS weakened him enough to let this scrub pull a miracle" shtick. Sweet Mask seems to have developed an obsession with Saitama, but iagain its unclear how much they are fooling themselves.

Pri-Pri, Alloy Shine, Pig-God, Flash: These folks seem to have been well KO'd by the time Saitama got around to Garou. Flash knows something is defintely 'wrong' with Saitama though, having personally been showed up twice and trying to pretend it didn't freak him out. Pig-God is much smarter than anyone has given him credit for so far though its unclear how much he lets on.

Monsters: Not to many live after to speak, but that little runt Gold Sperm thing witnessed everything, is alive, and holds no illusions how terrifyingly strong Saitama is. Though he seems to have come to the conclusion that Saitama is a holy-man given his refusal to kill Garou or even mini-Rover.

There are probably a few trivial characters I'm missing like the little snot-nose kid that Garou 'kidnapped' and the former Blizzard subordinate that Saitama pep-talked after putting down the Demon-Fan conclusively. A lot of characters seem to fall into obviousness, or have pride-blinders on.

Berk Berkly fucked around with this message at 07:48 on Nov 7, 2015

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Just show us Blast already

Unless Blast is some fiction the Association made to make people think they've got someone better than Tornado in the wings

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Shicchi is Blast

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Josuke Higashikata posted:

Shicchi is Blast

i have a strong feeling this is it

Kegslayer
Jul 23, 2007
I would have thought it was Bang's dad/brother given you get Bang/Bomb/Blast

Abandoned Toaster
Jun 4, 2008

mabels big day posted:

i have a strong feeling this is it

The question is, is Shicchi or whomever Blast really is actually strong or just Hero Association politics pretending there's a trump card they've never had to pull out before?

I gotta admit I'm really curious myself because a manga like this could go either way.

Daxing Dan
Apr 2, 2015

Damn it, why it does need to remain only four bullets!?

Mystic Mongol posted:

Then you have all the heroes who are teetering on the edge of heroism and narcissism, like Genos, King, Fubuki, Superalloy Darkshine, and Pri-Pri Prisoner, who could all wind up total shitbags or noble heroes, based on who they wind up listening to.

Pri-Pri Prisoner is in prison for raping dudes, and his main motivation for being a hero is so he can arrest bad guys and then rape them in prison. He is not what I would consider an ambiguous character.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

I like to pretend Pri Pri doesn't exist.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

Daxing Dan posted:

Pri-Pri Prisoner is in prison for raping dudes, and his main motivation for being a hero is so he can arrest bad guys and then rape them in prison. He is not what I would consider an ambiguous character.

Dude needs help. He views his own sexuality as inherently repellent (using it to punish criminals or threaten Superally Darkshine into action; never making a pass at someone who hasn't transgressed in some way, even if he's attracted to them) and spends all his spare time locked up in prison. He puts himself in lethal situations three times to save innocents or protect the other heroes, but what he's learned from them (mostly from Sea King, mind you) is that he needs to be way more murderous in his fights.

If he just wanted to be horrible in jail, he could be, but clearly he's driven to do more. Can he be saved? Not by Handsomely Masked Sweet Mask, that's for sure.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.
Is it just me, or was Sweet Mask voiced by the same dude who did Tamaki in Ouran High School Host Club?

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Mystic Mongol posted:

Dude needs help.
Definitely, I think that's sort of the underlying message to him, but I also wonder if he was originally conceived as a parody of the weird cyclical thing in Western superheroes about locking up the villains / going back to the cave to self-loath / putting oneself in harm's way and then repeat.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

He's The Japanese Gay Character with basically all attendant stereotypes, including rapist, it doesn't really seem much deeper than that.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
Yeah he's basically just a homophobic joke, and the stereotypes about gay men in Japan are a bit different than over here(ex:burly instead of twinky and pretty) so it reads a bit different to us. One Punch Man would be better without him.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
He would be fine if not for all the rape. Just put him in prison for public indecency or something instead.

jwang
Mar 31, 2013
You know, the one monster I really want to see the Murata redraw of is Golden Sperm. Simply because how ridiculous he looks in ONE's version; it makes me curious how Murata's version would turn out.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

Berk Berkly posted:

Bang: Witnessed Saitama Shoryuken the Doom-Meteor into shrapnel when the other heroes couldn't scratch it. He doesn't seem the type to fool himself so he's at least aware of his S++ Class level strength likely suspects he is is Godtier.

Pretty sure Bang is fully aware of it. He's the #3 S-rank and when Charanko tries to argue with him he not only states that Saitama is stronger, but "many times" stronger.

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.
Dr Bofoi/metal knight is aware that saitama is very strong after he beat up all the robots. Probably not aware of god strength though but he will soon

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
No one really knows what Saitama's limits are though, most likely including the man himself. I'm not sure the earth could really survive Saitama going all out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Josuke Higashikata posted:

Shicchi is Blast

That's

huh

yeah that might actually be it