Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Bhodi posted:

There are no idiot remote hands in aws, only your own fuckups. Remember when the datacenter went underwater and SA was down for a week or whatever? Again, not an issue in the clod. SA is a prime candidate; a small business with two or three servers that doesn't want to have to staff an actual IT department / person.
so you know that the cloud still exists on computers in datacenters right

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Vulture Culture posted:

:aaaaa:

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer

Vulture Culture posted:

oh yeah then why do they call it the cloud if it's not in the clouds???? :smug:

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy

Vulture Culture posted:

Datacenters in the cloud. :science:

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

As an example of how easy IaaS still is to gently caress up, can you tell me when data is actually guaranteed to be committed to persistent storage on an EBS volume?

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

If your company is cutting staff that's not illegal and just business.

Now, if they suddenly fire without notice you might have a leg to stand on.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

Tab8715 posted:

If your company is cutting staff that's not illegal and just business.

Now, if they suddenly fire without notice you might have a leg to stand on.

My only guess is maybe he thinks they'll choose who to keep and who to kick based on discrimination. Or maybe they'll send the three candidates through some insane trial process in which they must sabotage each other's careers to win, culminating in a fight to the death with sticks of ram.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

Vulture Culture posted:

As an example of how easy IaaS still is to gently caress up, can you tell me when data is actually guaranteed to be committed to persistent storage on an EBS volume?
I.. I don't think it is at all, ever... :ohdear: you may have to snapshot it to be sure.

has EBS ever gone down?

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib

Bhodi posted:

I.. I don't think it is at all, ever... :ohdear: you may have to snapshot it to be sure.

has EBS ever gone down?
A couple times, last in 2013 I think - if you've got really important poo poo make sure it lives in multiple AZ's/regions

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Judge Schnoopy posted:

My only guess is maybe he thinks they'll choose who to keep and who to kick based on discrimination. Or maybe they'll send the three candidates through some insane trial process in which they must sabotage each other's careers to win, culminating in a fight to the death with sticks of ram.

And then Larches will be forced to test those ram sticks to see if they're still usable.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

And then Larches will be forced to test those ram sticks to see if they're still usable.

Does Buffalo make a RAMdisk product?

QuiteEasilyDone
Jul 2, 2010

Won't you play with me?

Inspector_666 posted:

Does Buffalo make a RAMdisk product?

They DO!

http://www.buffalo-technology.com/technology/our-technology/buffalo-tools/ posted:

RAMDISK: RAMDISK is a simple utility that allows you to create a RAM disk on your Windows PC. The RAM in a PC is considerably faster than its hard drive, and by using spare PC RAM to create a RAM disk, you can give your computer a small but extremely fast environment to work on files in. When you have finished working on files from the RAM disk, simply save them to your PC's hard drive or an external hard drive for long-term retention. RAMDISK can be configured to automatically save the contents of the RAM disk to a hard drive during a Windows shutdown.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Bhodi posted:

has EBS ever gone down?
Correct! Data on EBS is considered to be consistent once it exists in a snapshot!

I've seen a number of people in recent years stop and start EBS-backed instances and find their server running on some version of the disk from months ago.

EBS has partial outages all the time, especially with degraded performance that kills nearly every other AWS service in the region. Full outages are fairly uncommon.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

Vulture Culture posted:

Bhodi posted:

Also, shame time: look at all you people not wanting SA upgrade to :yayclod:

I'll take good care of the cloud guys

Methanar fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Nov 6, 2015

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iDbyYGrswtg

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Lowtax should just randomly make someone in this thread admin, change it every month.

Lilli
Feb 21, 2011

Goodbye, my child.
Managed to land an interview for this upcoming Tuesday on accident when I was at my local testing center taking a certification exam, feels pretty good.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Internet Explorer posted:

Lowtax should just randomly make someone in this thread admin, change it every month.

whoever has the most posts in the thread.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

Vulture Culture posted:

Correct! Data on EBS is considered to be consistent once it exists in a snapshot!
I've never used EBS but I found the fact they don't say this upfront in giant bold letters to be worrying. I glanced around the documentation and came up with the "correct" answer almost immediately but this isn't my first cloud rodeo and if I didn't know to look in the first place and made assumptions I'd have been in some trouble.

Another big hint was a related page "dealing with / recovering your corrupted data" and I thought huh, there's a prominent link to a recovery gui page and procedure with support help lines, just how often does this happen that they'd need this.

J
Jun 10, 2001

Methanar posted:

I'll take good care of the cloud guys

Was this picture taken inside of an actual cloud? :ohdear:

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug
The reason I got a lawyer is that it's better to have one and not need one than the opposite, especially when the three-way deathmatch trial scenario described above isn't far from how I picture what will happen. CV polishing and job hunting is already under way. I have also offered to HR to voluntarily leave so that everything is easier for everyone else involved with the process, of course in exchange for reasonable compensation. As things are now I will get laid off with absolutely nothing to show for it, so there is nothing I can do that will make things worse in any way. Anything and everything I get that is more than zero will be a victory.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

evobatman posted:

The reason I got a lawyer is that it's better to have one and not need one than the opposite, especially when the three-way deathmatch trial scenario described above isn't far from how I picture what will happen. CV polishing and job hunting is already under way. I have also offered to HR to voluntarily leave so that everything is easier for everyone else involved with the process, of course in exchange for reasonable compensation. As things are now I will get laid off with absolutely nothing to show for it, so there is nothing I can do that will make things worse in any way. Anything and everything I get that is more than zero will be a victory.

I'm still not reading anything there that remotely requires a lawyer but hey, it's your money dude.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
I got a new NAS to replace the USB-only one my predecessor set up as our primary file share. Started a robocopy yesterday morning, I figured it'd finish overnight.

I forgot about the marketing department.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

There's no reason not to go to Office365, right?

I mean we're already paying $10.00/month for Hosted Exchange, we might as well pay $2.50 more and get Office and poo poo right?

orange sky
May 7, 2007

Bob Morales posted:

There's no reason not to go to Office365, right?

I mean we're already paying $10.00/month for Hosted Exchange, we might as well pay $2.50 more and get Office and poo poo right?

You're on their hands after that basically. There will definitely be a raise on prices in the future.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
There are plenty of reasons, but if you're already on hosted Exchange they drop pretty significantly.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

orange sky posted:

You're on their hands after that basically. There will definitely be a raise on prices in the future.

You seem fairly confident in that.

orange sky
May 7, 2007

flosofl posted:

You seem fairly confident in that.

Wouldn't you do it like that? Microsoft has used that strategy in the past, too. Only this time, your whole "infrastructure" is located on their data centers, so it's not only about licensing anymore, it's about migration, too. If they hike the prices and you want to migrate back to on prem, wouldn't you think three times before you do that? What if you actually get rid of your physical infrastructure?

Every business has to be viable, and Microsoft's hooking everyone it can with pretty great prices.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

orange sky posted:

Wouldn't you do it like that? Microsoft has used that strategy in the past, too. Only this time, your whole "infrastructure" is located on their data centers, so it's not only about licensing anymore, it's about migration, too. If they hike the prices and you want to migrate back to on prem, wouldn't you think three times before you do that? What if you actually get rid of your physical infrastructure?

Every business has to be viable, and Microsoft's hooking everyone it can with pretty great prices.
This isn't a dichotomy. Exchange isn't the only email/collaboration game in town.

I'm not Gartner analyst, but I'm pretty sure Microsoft is focusing on a better long-term strategy than "funnel all our customers straight into Google Apps."

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

I think it's been posted before...somewhere, but I don't remember any conclusive results from it. We're looking to replace MXLogic after Intel/McAfee said they're getting out of the game. We use it for email continuity and email protection (although we're maybe looking into encryption but that's not a huge factor).

We had demos from Mimecast, AppRiver and Proofpoint. I think we're all leaning toward Mimecast. Price is not a huge factor, we want the best product and will pay for it as long as it's reasonable. All three seemed to have pretty similar features, but we like Mimecast's polish and their Outlook plugin seems to be pretty good (although we're also doubtful that many people would use it, but that's a training issue). Proofpoint's admin panel seemed super cluttered and their rule lists looked like a pain to manage (but powerful I guess). The most I got out of their presentation was that they're top rated by Gartner. Magic Quadrant!!!

Did we miss anyone? Hands on experience with any/all of them?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Mimecast is good. They always seem to take the recommendations when these sorts of questions come up here.

Ahdinko
Oct 27, 2007

WHAT A LOVELY DAY

Vulture Culture posted:

This isn't a dichotomy. Exchange isn't the only email/collaboration game in town.

I'm not Gartner analyst, but I'm pretty sure Microsoft is focusing on a better long-term strategy than "funnel all our customers straight into Google Apps."

365 is fairly well known for being absolutely poo poo to try and get out of once you're in. Right now if you buy exchange licencing and office licensing every time a new edition is released or within a year, its already cheaper to go and buy 365 than it is to go and buy your own perpetual licensing. I don't think their strategy was "Lets make less money and increase our workload at the same time!".

Its really really cheap so they get people in the door, and then they start cranking up the price once they like the numbers. This year already saw a 8-26% price increase dependant on your country and product, and last year saw around 15%

The justification then comes 3 years down the line when prices are double their current ones, people want to look at leaving but when they say "well trying to migrate out of this would leave all our email, file shares, intranet, instant messaging, video conferencing, bla bla bla bla down for 2-3 weeks, whats the cost of that to the business?" is when they find the answer of "welp, its probably better to keep paying this inflated license cost than sink 40 man days into this and suffer downtime"

Ahdinko fucked around with this message at 15:02 on Nov 6, 2015

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Ahdinko posted:

365 is fairly well known for being absolutely poo poo to try and get out of once you're in. Right now if you buy exchange licencing and office licensing every time a new edition is released or within a year, its already cheaper to go and buy 365 than it is to go and buy your own perpetual licensing. I don't think their strategy was "Lets make less money and increase our workload at the same time!".

Its really really cheap so they get people in the door, and then they start cranking up the price once they like the numbers. This year already saw a 8-26% price increase dependant on your country and product, and last year saw around 15%

The justification then comes 3 years down the line when prices are double their current ones, people want to look at leaving but when they say "well trying to migrate out of this would leave all our email, file shares, intranet, instant messaging, video conferencing, bla bla bla bla down for 2-3 weeks, whats the cost of that to the business?" is when they find the answer of "welp, its probably better to keep paying this inflated license cost"

So then it's Microsoft's fault you don't have an exit strategy other than "I wish we could migrate"?

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
It's also called the oracle model, where your license prices every year are carefully calculated to be slightly less than the cost to switch. So prices get higher, not lower, as you buy more products.

Ahdinko
Oct 27, 2007

WHAT A LOVELY DAY

flosofl posted:

So then it's Microsoft's fault you don't have an exit strategy other than "I wish we could migrate"?

While i've never done either, I've read on it and as far as i understand, whats the options to get out of the mail? (please enlighten me if there's more, its a legitimate concern of mine and our customers)
Isn't your three choices:
a. PST export out of 365,
b. spin up a hybrid exchange environment and migrate in the other direction, then migrate to your solution of choice or
c. pay for some third party tool that will read your mailbox and copy it somewhere else, idk what you do for public folders or shared mailboxes.

Other than doing some rear end backwards thing which defeats the main driver of 365 like putting your mail through mimecast and forwarding it to 365 and caching it all in mimecast so on the off chance in 3 years you wanna get out you can in a piece of piss, I can't think of much else.

And getting out of onedrive involves logging into each individual users share and basically copying and pasting the files out?
I've no idea whats involved in getting out of sharepoint, CRM and other products.

I think they pretty deliberately make those the only ways out, its a smart business move on their part.

Ahdinko fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Nov 6, 2015

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

myron cope posted:

Did we miss anyone? Hands on experience with any/all of them?

We use ProofPoint and they're alright. Pretty complex, but it does a pretty good job of catching offending emails and the daily digest is easy enough for users to understand. We also have it set up to monitor outbound mail with a rule in place that if an exorbitant amount of email is coming from a user, it will throttle down the sending rate until we can look at it to determine legitimacy. We implemented that after some successful phishing attacks, and haven't been on an email blacklist since.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Ahdinko posted:

This year already saw a 8-26% price increase dependant on your country and product, and last year saw around 15%

Office 365 prices have only gone one way. And it's not up.

What plans and region are you talking about?

Ahdinko
Oct 27, 2007

WHAT A LOVELY DAY
Europe, Canada and Australia seems to be this years, across all enterprise packages, crm, EMS and azure:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2015/07/08/office_365_prices_rise/

The only time the prices were going down was when alot fewer people were using it right? Like 2012-2013?

Ahdinko fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Nov 6, 2015

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
To be fair the Canadian prices were probably a response to the Canadian dollar eating poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Ahdinko posted:

Europe, Canada and Australia seems to be this years, across all enterprise packages, crm, EMS and azure:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2015/07/08/office_365_prices_rise/

The only time the prices were going down was when alot fewer people were using it right? Like 2012-2013?

I think that might have to do with the exchange rate rather than actual price hikes.