Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
EightAce
May 10, 2015

Watch it all come crashing down on his head and wonder why any of us gave him money in the first place.

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

This sounds hilarious. What kind of beer would it be?

It would be a Swedish Brew from the region of Upssalla with a 'smooth' body and 'Pale' finish. Also very weak in Alcohol content so Americans can enjoy it without collapsing in a tearful heap of soiled under wear ..after two bottles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

Darkpriest667 posted:

Yahoo has weighed in. Shitizens don't like it but now the main stream press is catching on. (Yes Yahoo is mainstream now. Old people read it.)

https://www.yahoo.com/tech/s/the-most-ambitious-space-game-in-history-has-raised--94-million--so-where-is-it-213831707.html?nf=1

I'd like to see The Escapist update on some of the newer revelations.

To wit:

- The realization that CIG is currently building a second MOCAP studio, to being about the 4th actual MOCAP iteration.

- Continuing to expand in the most expensive market, and this is now the 2nd major office move.

- A lack of any actual progress beyond the concept stage being shown, and in many cases completely regressing in progress.

- To add to the above, the complete loss from working with multiple code branches that not only deviate beyond the ability to merge, but to develop in 32-bit and try to merge somehow into 64? What?

- The decimation of the Austin house, which was designated the hub of the completed product (persistent universe). this includes the laying off of all development personnel and leaving only IT and management.

- Continued turnover of senior leadership in the middle of projects. This has been downplayed as "in the industry" however in my 16 years in IT I have never seen multiple people leave in the middle of a project.

- The firing of CS staff, and the open knowledge that they have a 30+ day backlog of not just general customer service, but also the exclusive "concierge" service.

- Billing Sandi Roberts over more established names. Many people don't realize this but billing in Hollywood is a huge thing. Having a C-list actress over an A-lister is a proverbial kick in the oval office.

- The SQ42 "intro" video, which was buggy, was promised to be released as a high-res press version a few days after however somehow it's available. Why?

- On that note, the FPS Baby PU Star Citizen 2.0 reveal during Citizen Con was a scripted event (both press release and live event went through the same exact motions) and still many assets are completely missing. For example, the Shubin Mining Station from 2 years ago. The Ender Arena? Gold Horizon? These were assets and maps that were almost completely done and have essentially been scrapped. CIG has insisted that "almost all assets are ported over" and yet there is zero indication that they actually are.

- On a strong look back, there is still extremely little progress in the game. It is now 3 years into development and the basics of the engine are still completely unfinished. When you try to rationalize it against games that took 4-6 years to develop it is still hauntingly suspicious. This isn't about finished levels, or even completed assets. It's about the basic models and stability.
I'm part of the Naval Action alpha, and it uses the remnants of the old PotBS engine from 2006. This tiny dev studio has created new assets, new UI (although lacking form it has full function), updated graphics, and even ported it from 32 to 64 bit (mind you they did it just recently). I've watched this thing grow from "Sea Trials" (think Arena Commander) to the Open World (Star Citizen Equiv is the PU) within the span of months. I believe the dev studio has about 5-7 people working out of Ukraine.
Or one just needs to look at Elite: Dangerous, who has gone from a Single system alpha that was roughly functional during the release of Arena Commander, to now having planet landings, and even structures. And all of this was developed AFTER Arena Commander. Oh, I should mention that half of Frontier is making a new Roller Coaster Tycoon.

- They recently changed all starter packages retroactively. Not only did they sell "limited" quantities of the Star Citizen alpha/beta, they also were selling the same limited access to the SQ42 beta. This has been retroactively removed. I can only tell this from the store as I no longer have an active account/package however I'm sure those who are sill bought in can confirm this. I'm not sure the legality of this, but promising early access and removing it to be released during the general release date seems like false advertising.

I think I'll ask them.

OhDearGodNo fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Nov 6, 2015

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003
This is good.

AP posted:

Warcrimes seems pissed.
Why would you ever think that was warcrimes? Didn't he make several thousand dollars flipping pictures for spergs and quit like a year ago? Nice meltdown.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Alchenar posted:

This. Look at this. All that motion cap and what it currently looks like is the top left screenshot.

Nice loss edit.

Incombibulator
Dec 9, 2014

I'm ready for my close-up
Ms. Gardiner...

Grimey Drawer

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Cats loving love stink either that or they would go after warmth at any cost. My cat loves to curl up in my armpits, kneepits or even face first into one of my running shoes after doing 3-4 miles.

Have you considered that this cat just really, really likes you?
Have you asked it out on a date yet? I'm betting they will be receptive.

Go on. Only one life to live. Make it count.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Incombibulator posted:

I like animals a lot. that is too much. ask your doctor if Fur-EX is right for you.

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy

RedTonic posted:

I'm still catching up, so if the following retreads ground, I apologize.

If CIG folds, I expect that the mocap studio/custom office space will be sold to another company probably owned by one of the principals here; maybe CR himself, but more likely Ortwin, Erin, or one of the others. Given that refunds are being paid out of any number of companies, it's possible, if not probable, that the cash for the transaction will actually be backer funds. These funds will then be used to pay off creditors; the debts were likely taken to fund the game, while at least part of the cash probably stood as collateral -- of course, non-cash assets might have been used for collateral as well, leaving CR & co. with the liquidity they needed to fund a lavish lifestyle and try to wriggle their way back into Hollywood.

Actually if they're this deep into the scam, this is one scenario.

They could declare bankruptcy and have their assets liquidated for cheap (to cover loan costs) which are then bought by another shell company they own, which they funnelled backer money to.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
The recent track record on trailers and jpegs is pretty bad, and that's all they've got.

The citcon star marine trailer was a disappointment even to the brown sea and Reddit and was quietly delisted from YouTube and never mentioned again. It was demoted from gameplay trailer to some QA testers messing around. Reality: people probably worked a crunch week to poo poo that out.

The weird black geometric alien ship had a red variant released and it was just a terrible photoshop covered in artifacts.

Now they're trying to pass off year old renders as new and getting caught out by reddit.

When CIG can't put out passable jpegs and staged trailers without the faithful murmuring from the pews then things are well and truly hosed.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

no_recall posted:

Actually if they're this deep into the scam, this is one scenario.

They could declare bankruptcy and have their assets liquidated for cheap (to cover loan costs) which are then bought by another shell company they own, which they funnelled backer money to.

Twin Bros being the most likely buyer here if you ask me as it is the only company that existed before all this.

Kurr de la Cruz
May 21, 2007

Put the boots to him, medium style.

Hair Elf
when the true believers do eventually turn and this all goes to poo poo, do you think we could make some extra money selling them jpegs of torches and pitchforks?

Starkk
Dec 31, 2008

Good morning star shitizen thread, just an update on my refund, got the money in my paypal account yesterday after it was 'actioned' on monday, after sending the first email Oct 4. So just over a month to get the money. It feels good to be free.

LCL-Dead
Apr 22, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Starkk posted:

Good morning star shitizen thread, just an update on my refund, got the money in my paypal account yesterday after it was 'actioned' on monday, after sending the first email Oct 4. So just over a month to get the money. It feels good to be free.

Fuuuuuuuck me.. I'm up to day 42 with a Paypal dispute entered into the game and STILL haven't heard poo poo back from CIG.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
Just had a thought.

Have they ever mentioned any hardware requirements for hosting this all on their side?
As in server space, server specs, locations or anything to do with the physical nature of hosting the universe.

For the life of me I can't think of any.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Bitter Tears is a great name, and would be perfect for an ipa with some serious hops going on. I would pay just for the recipe and label jpegs

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

Incombibulator posted:

General Bullshit 2: On The Move › E/N Bullshit - Why am I so terrified to ask a pussy out?

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Alchenar posted:

This. Look at this. All that motion cap and what it currently looks like is the top left screenshot.
To be almost unreasonably fair, pretty much all motion-capture looks like poo poo fresh out of the oven, especially if you're viewing a live output like they seem to be in that pic. That's why we still have these inconvenient creatures called "animators" poking around demanding salaries.

Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

happyhippy posted:

Just had a thought.

Have they ever mentioned any hardware requirements for hosting this all on their side?
As in server space, server specs, locations or anything to do with the physical nature of hosting the universe.

Ah good, we haven't had an Octopode cloud services argument for a while

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Thirsty Dog posted:

Ah good, we haven't had an Octopode cloud services argument for a while

I would also like more :nsacloud:-talk

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

LCL-Dead posted:

Fuuuuuuuck me.. I'm up to day 42 with a Paypal dispute entered into the game and STILL haven't heard poo poo back from CIG.

I'm up to about a month since they staid they would issue the refund. They split it into 3 payments and paid 2 of them promptly. They removed my account right away. The last one just never happened. I've resorted to emailing them daily to remind them (note: begin a new mail otherwise it just gets filed under a follow-up and likely trashed).

I'm fairly sure that by having an email stating they'd issue the refund, removing my account and purchased assets, and refusing to pay the remainder is enough to warrant something- however the payment systems are so convoluted that it's hard to discuss exactly who to file the dispute with.

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

happyhippy posted:

Just had a thought.

e: for the curious nerds I once asked several questions and got a reply. I'll shorten the answers:

- None of the physical hardware will be outside of Google's DCs. It's all in the butt.

- They have 'custom built' provisioning that manages processes. They stated 'layers' however it sounds like they're relying on the provider to manage resources. There's no actual information on this, and to be honest if they are able to make something like this that can handle provisioning on this level they will make billions just selling that outside of a game.

Put it this way: Currently, cloud datacenter providers either do not offer any SLA-based guarantee when it comes to VM/container dynamic provisioning. This is because there's no way to guarantee that on-demand allocation will work smoothly. There some ways that can help such as Cassandra, ØMQ, Triton, etc to optimize performance you're still looking at an enormous cost- Well over 90 million.

Enter Docker, which is open source but in no way does it seem that other than being able to provide the capability to actually DO it, can it do it with high-performance in mind. There's also the fact that you need to get it all working together smoothly.

Toss that in with all these tools being managed by a "custom layer" and given CIG's track record in IT I have zero confidence in this ever working as advertised.

- Chris Roberts doesn't know a VM from container. They plan to use containers. I find it funny because I don't see anyu This will be handled by the aforementioned "custom provisioner/scheduler" in real time. Octopode probably has a theory since he manages 3 datacenters when not studying trade law.

Now, this is where it gets funny:

- The GIM does none of the resource allocation. All of the GIM's requests go to this "custom privisioner/scheduler" that makes the calls/requests for additional resources. However, the GIM will manage the data between these. They never stated how this will be managed, synced, verified, nor how well in can handle in a live, "twitch" based environment. I mean, it can work when you have a business web application or even something turn or strategy based. But think of something in the realm of Battlefield 4, only scaled up 1000x more demanding.

- They will handle ACLs, Firewalls, and internal routing. External advertisements, load balancing, etc will be handled by Google. This will never cause any problems whatsoever. I mean, they handled AWS security so well.

OhDearGodNo fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Nov 6, 2015

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

Bitter Tears is a great name, and would be perfect for an ipa with some serious hops going on. I would pay just for the recipe and label jpegs

Sounds like fun. I haven't done much into IPAs so it would be a good challenge for me. Obviously we'd want a high level of bitterness, but I still want it to be drinkable so I'll look into ways to properly balance all of that.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I trust your instincts-- if you can crack a double digit ABV and still make it drinkable, all the better.

You might want to brew a lot of it- you might be sitting on a goldmine here come next year.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

G0RF posted:

I trust your instincts-- if you can crack a double digit ABV and still make it drinkable, all the better.

You might want to brew a lot of it- you might be sitting on a goldmine here come next year.

I would be interested in artisan tear beer made by goons

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

SneakyFrog posted:

I would be interested in artisan tear beer made by goons

Tear Beer / Teer Bear :sweden:

Starkk
Dec 31, 2008

LCL-Dead posted:

I also never had tp resort to saying I was going to do a chargeback.

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

Does anyone have a link to the lovely video they released? I missed it

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Rich Kid of Insurancegram
My refund is being actioned. They said 7-10 business days to hit paypal. It's been 3, so we'll see what happens. It will be about 45 days to get a refund if it comes through.

Moral_Hazard fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Nov 6, 2015

I Greyhound
Apr 22, 2008

MusicKrew Dawn Patrol

G0RF posted:

This is a highly staged commercial pretending to be in-engine game footage.

To watch it is to be promised so very much. "This is 2.0 gameplay- we're nearly there! Squeeee! I'll be able to eject from combat if need be, and escape in pod to the nearby planet, and who knows what adventures await me down there!"

No, it isn't, and no you won't.

Where did the other ship come from? Why would you not just have the entire ship eject? Is that pod going to be standard across all ships? Why do they not have a global design document describing the basics of how things work?

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VHDk8YvgNlw

Stanko-Prussian
May 22, 2006

CLEAN YOUR ROOM!, 'they' said.
DO YOUR HOMEWORK!, 'they' said.
WHY ARE YOU IN LOVE WITH A CARTOON PONY, 'they' said.
FOR GODSAKE! STOP SHOWING US YOUR BLACKHOLE'!! 'they' said.

When I lit the match....STOP SCREAMING, 'I' said

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

a Gose, sour and salty

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

OhDearGodNo posted:

I'd like to see The Escapist update on some of the newer revelations.

To wit:

This has got to be one of the biggest debacles in the entertainment industry in history, right? At least Ishtar and The Adventures of Pluto Nash loving came out!

Phil Burn
Oct 28, 2015

What is life all about?
Mo-cap sounds like some kind of moustache accessory.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Berious posted:

Most popular post in r/StarCitizen is moaning that CIG isn't getting 100% sloppy blowjobs from the press.

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/3rqz64/my_editorial_why_cant_we_talk_about_star_citizen/

Most popular explanation is evil publishers are paying off games sites to rubbish Star Citizen in case it makes their games look bad.

big publisher is trying to keep the little guy down :argh:

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

LCL-Dead posted:

You should uh.. wash the sand out of your vagina then. Or are you willing to go on record saying you've never looked at an attractive woman (Yes, despite her ineptitude, I find Sandi attractive on some level) and thought about having sex with her?

You could not pay me enough to live in Florida. I can't even stand North Carolina summer humidity.

greetings and hello from page 241!

is the twitter bot going to tweet this post next

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

LCL-Dead posted:

3 for once not talking about her credentials or skin posts about Sandi and you guys are getting all riled up?

Getting a little sensitive there, aren't you?

can't let these bad posts fade away into obscurity

ShredsYouSay
Sep 22, 2011

How's his widow holding up?

Phil Burn posted:

like melchetts thing in the last episode of blackaddder.

Phil Burn
Oct 28, 2015

What is life all about?

Phil Burn posted:

ShredsYouSay posted:

like melchetts thing in the last episode of blackaddder.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
did you guys know that CIG used to work on something called star citizen

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Eonwe posted:

did you guys know that CIG used to work on something called star citizen

Doesn't sound right

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blackmjolnir
Mar 30, 2010

Bitchesss

Why do you need an entire loving mocap studio for a spaceship game. I do not understand. How can SC backer be so monumentally stupid

• Locked thread