Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Psychedelicatessen
Feb 17, 2012

PantsBandit posted:

It's not as scary as it looks really. The bullets left-right and up-down follow a pretty predictable path. If you can find a safe area, just stay there until it passes.

Nah, the looping tears are not a problem once you find the sweet spot. I'm talking about at the very end where he goes undergound and shoots a ton of orange/blue tear circles + homing tears + spawn blue boils.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

A while before the expansion I got an infinite loop with Monster Manuel to get my meat boy and bandage girl achievements. I actually got the full bandage girl organically yesterday, but of course I did it on the Speed challenge, where I got book of rev floor 1. This still didn't save me though, because I only got one damage up all the way to the womb, and that was the lucky rock. The time limit damage ended up killing me because I couldn't clear rooms fast enough.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!

CJacobs posted:

This is really all you had to say.

Well yeah but I have the others tasks complete for him aside from Mega Satan because gently caress that nonsense again.

NO LISTEN TO ME
Jan 3, 2009

「プリスティンビート」
「Pristine Beat」
Man for some reason I just turn to poo poo whenever I play as Maggy. I don't know if it's the lower speed or what but I've done everything The Lost can throw at me but I can't make it past the Womb on a Maggy run.

EvilMike
Dec 6, 2004

NO LISTEN TO ME posted:

Man for some reason I just turn to poo poo whenever I play as Maggy. I don't know if it's the lower speed or what but I've done everything The Lost can throw at me but I can't make it past the Womb on a Maggy run.

Speed is extremely important, imo its the most important stat after damage.

Cephalocidal
Dec 23, 2005

So is Hush the embodiment of suffocation?

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I think in particular being slower than default really messes you up because you get snagged by things you intuitively feel you can dodge.

Ghost Head
Sep 16, 2008
apparently the fruitcake functions differently if you have Dr Fetus. It adds the various bomb effects like Sad bombs, glitter bombs, cluster bombs, flaming bombs etc etc. I think that's super cool

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

Sanctum posted:

Big moneys all around.

This post didn't get enough love. Holla holla

omeg
Sep 3, 2012

Warning: lots of flashing lights
http://gfycat.com/ShamefulMeatyFrigatebird

Pannus
Mar 14, 2004

Ghost Head posted:

apparently the fruitcake functions differently if you have Dr Fetus. It adds the various bomb effects like Sad bombs, glitter bombs, cluster bombs, flaming bombs etc etc. I think that's super cool

I agree. It can still give you My reflection though, and that sucks a lot when it happens.

RoboCicero
Oct 22, 2009

"I'm sick and tired of reading these posts!"

EvilMike posted:

Speed is extremely important, imo its the most important stat after damage.
There's such a tight sweet-spot with speed though. I've completely forgotten which pills are what and nothings worse than picking up a caffeine pill after I already have 2 speed ups.

Real Cool Catfish
Jun 6, 2011

Ghost Head posted:

Same with knives! Many of the effects seem to just multiply the number of knives. Fired 5 at one point, which was curious. Didn't think there was something past mutant spider. Could just be an unusual synergy

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
I beat Brains! Took me over an over and I was on one heart going into Blue Baby, gently caress I never want to do that again. Halo of Flies I found in a trapdoor under a rock was the mvp of the run for sure.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

hah wow, I just had a really great run in greed mode with judas where I picked up a bunch of items I normally hate. tiny planet and experimental treatment were the two that come immediately to mind. I was saved by chaos, tammy's body, cancer, and several damage ups. probably the easiest kill on ultra greed I've had. also guppy's paw from an angel room to fix my health problems

but, of course, the donation machine took one coin and crapped out. loving hell man, that happens nearly every time I do greed mode and it is bullshit

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

Cephalocidal posted:

So is Hush the embodiment of suffocation?

I've seen some interesting theories that it's a fetus and placenta inside the womb of a dead woman.

Manatee Cannon posted:

but, of course, the donation machine took one coin and crapped out. loving hell man, that happens nearly every time I do greed mode and it is bullshit

That means that you should play as other characters. The more money you donate as one character the faster it jams as them.

watho fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Nov 6, 2015

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007

watho posted:

That means that you should play as other characters. The more money you donate as one character the faster it jams as them.

Mine jammed after 1 coin with Eden, first time ever playing her in greed mode.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

watho posted:

I've only ever played through with the same character one time dude, and that time is the only time I've been able to donate more than 1-2 coins

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
It's cool being in this early enough that there's still stuff out there that people don't know the purpose of. I picked up a trinket last night that is a red circle with a line through it. It's called "No!" with the flavor text "Never again!"

Someone on reddit said that it might give you a chance of not using a key, but that's already what the lockpick does so I don't think that's it.

edit: Oh I just looked it up on the wiki and apparently that's what it does after all? Weird.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Is there a trigger for bumbo making GBS threads out bombs or is he just a stupid jerk that I'm never picking up again?

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
I don't even know what the money shot does but it's baller as hell.

chocolate milk+directed tears is really weird, it automatically releases charges at a certain time based on how far away your crosshair is. farther away means longer charges.

ultra greed is actually really easy if you have the damage to kill the greed heads as he spawns them/kill a decent amount of the heart or bomb coins. that's basically all you need.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

PantsBandit posted:

It's cool being in this early enough that there's still stuff out there that people don't know the purpose of. I picked up a trinket last night that is a red circle with a line through it. It's called "No!" with the flavor text "Never again!"

Someone on reddit said that it might give you a chance of not using a key, but that's already what the lockpick does so I don't think that's it.

edit: Oh I just looked it up on the wiki and apparently that's what it does after all? Weird.

The Lockpick opens up chests without using a key. It doesn't work on doors.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Onan's Streak is pretty easy if you get Daddy Longlegs. Takes a long time though.

that ivy guy
May 20, 2015

today's caves 1 secret room has transcendence, for those of you still looking for that
e: and black lotus on womb 1

that ivy guy fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Nov 6, 2015

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

RatHat posted:

I guess you need the Polaroid unlocked for Onan's Streak since it only offers the Negative otherwise. Strange, I'm pretty sure the other challenges that require you to beat Isaac/??? give you the Polaroid regardless if it's unlocked or not. It's such a shame, I was having a good run since I got Daddy Longlegs.

Onan's Streak requires you to beat Isaac, not ???. You can get to him with either Polaroid or Negative, so it doesn't care which you have unlocked.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Read posted:

Searched the last couple pages and didn't see it mentioned, Azazel was unintentionally over-nerfed and will be brought up a bit next patch. Lilith's nerf was due to how OP she is in Greed Mode, but Ed is aware that it disproportionately affects her in Hard/Normal mode so he's thinking about an alternative to keep her balanced across the board.

e: Oh and incase people are struggling with it, the chance that your greed mode donation machine will bust is linearly related to the amount you've donated with that character. You can also disable Ultra Greed's dynamic armour by petrifying him with Mom's Contact or Midas Touch, until the status wears off.

This is good to know--I unlocked Azazel way back and was really successful with him until I found out he was generally considered one of the most powerful characters and I wasn't suddenly good at the game. When I finally revisited him after installing Afterbirth, it seemed like he wasn't nearly as good as I remember him being. At least I wasn't crazy.

TopHatGenius
Oct 3, 2008

something feels
different

Hot Rope Guy
The Stain can go to hell forever. During a Greed run I got double Stains with a champion Scolex. I did not survive. :mad:

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

PantsBandit posted:

Someone should do the math on experimental treatment. I got it twice tonight and both times it was a straight upgrade, and other people have been saying the same thing. It may just be confirmation bias but it seems like it got a big buff to me.

Didn't someone datamining find out it doesn't increase your stats at all? Just shuffle them? If it was true, I'd be interested to know if it changed.

parthenocarpy
Dec 18, 2003

no no no no no no no no!!!!! no!!! NO!!!!!

it was a lost run turned into a judas run, hush fucken died, the screen started to go blue, then i fucken died! no credit!

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

John Lee posted:

Didn't someone datamining find out it doesn't increase your stats at all? Just shuffle them? If it was true, I'd be interested to know if it changed.

According to the wiki, it doesn't do either really. It basically just randomly changes your stats, either increasing or decreasing them. No max on increases, but a max of 3 decreases. Your stats can change in the following ways:

±1 Health.
±1 Damage.
±0.2 Speed.
±0.5 Range.
±0.5 Tears.
±0.2 Shot Speed.
±1 Luck.

So in theory you could have one stat increase, two stat decreases and two increases, etc etc

ohrwurm
Jun 25, 2003

Flooded caves: still bugged, still guaranteed to take multiple hits, still garbage.

Fantastic Alice
Jan 23, 2012

PantsBandit posted:

According to the wiki, it doesn't do either really. It basically just randomly changes your stats, either increasing or decreasing them. No max on increases, but a max of 3 decreases. Your stats can change in the following ways:

±1 Health.
±1 Damage.
±0.2 Speed.
±0.5 Range.
±0.5 Tears.
±0.2 Shot Speed.
±1 Luck.

So in theory you could have one stat increase, two stat decreases and two increases, etc etc

So the description is just a lie unrelated to what it does? drat.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
Quitting the game ends your daily run. Makes sense, I guess, but sucks.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

parthenocarpy posted:

no no no no no no no no!!!!! no!!! NO!!!!!

it was a lost run turned into a judas run, hush fucken died, the screen started to go blue, then i fucken died! no credit!

welcome to my special hell

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

xanthan posted:

So the description is just a lie unrelated to what it does? drat.

platinumgod.co.uk has to add:

quote:

• The flavour text for this item is slightly misleading, it is not an all stats up, however will average out as a slight increase overall.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice

TopHatGenius posted:

The Stain can go to hell forever. During a Greed run I got double Stains with a champion Scolex. I did not survive. :mad:

I think The Stain is probably my least favorite of the new bosses (other than Hush and Ultra Greed anyway).

I just beat Head Trauma with literally no good items other than the map and Judas' Shadow. gently caress that challenge forever

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
Which one is the three headed red skull burrowing guy that likes to show up in triplicate in Greed Waves? That guy's my least favorite.

I'm not too fond of Rag Man either, he's not very dangerous but he takes way too many shots, and the Raglings he spawns need to quarter their HP.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice

MasterSlowPoke posted:

Which one is the three headed red skull burrowing guy that likes to show up in triplicate in Greed Waves? That guy's my least favorite.

I'm not too fond of Rag Man either, he's not very dangerous but he takes way too many shots, and the Raglings he spawns need to quarter their HP.

That would be The Stain.

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

Holy poo poo I am having the worst time with greed mode recently.

I've done it a couple times as cain, once as azazel to get lilith and have completed a lilith run but since then I haven't managed to complete a single greed mode run. Every time I've had the worst luck with enemies spawning either directly on top of me, and even if I can react fast enough to move away since they don't immediately deal contact damage upon spawning at least, I usually end up taking a hit if not two because unless my speed's pretty high by the time I've started moving enemies have as well. I heard enemies don't spawn in the area around the button, but camping out in an area that tiny isn't always an option and leaves me wide open for stuff like those sliding poops barreling down the room at 40 miles an hour. I know it's partly my own fault for standing in areas enemies might spawn but there doesn't seem to be any kind of rhyme or reason to whether the next wave is going to spawn in a clump on the top/bottom or just in all four corners.

It didn't help that this never happened on mediocre starts when I'm slugging it out with average items, only on runs where I get stuff like free item room proptosis or this because the game hates me:

This must be the game's revenge for letting me get the full meat boy/bandage girl first try both times I found a fourth floor BoR.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bassguitarhero
Feb 29, 2008

Holy poo poo NEVER take glass cannon as blue baby. One shot and I went from full spirit hearts to half a black heart.

Also gently caress the stain and especially gently caress double stain.

Last but not least I don't understand why getting a damage up out of this game is like pulling teeth. I will go entire runs without a single damage up, then watch a northern lion stream where he gets too many to count before leaving the basement. Come on