Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Sandi hard at work in charge of marketing and human resources for a global $95m company.

lol

fuctifino fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Nov 18, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib

D_Smart posted:

Good thing my AV software stopped this done dead its tracks. What was it?

I hope my email will not get eaten by your AV software.

Kakarot
Jul 20, 2013

by zen death robot
Buglord
So SC is a scam to get Sandi and CR back into the movie biz

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Eonwe posted:

derek smart is going to find out who this guy is and gently caress him up legally

Nah man, I tend not to pick on mentally unstable people. But if he's mental, and in a wheelchair, well then, all bets are off.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

D_Smart posted:

Good thing my AV software stopped this done dead its tracks. What was it?

It's hard to explain. Comics mostly about child rape and penis severing.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

OhDearGodNo posted:

This is the first time I've been in this Twitch chat, and honestly these questions are just terrible.

However at the same time I'm currently playing another game in alpha that actually works.

I've been meaning to ask-- how does the naval combat in this compare to Black Flag? Black Flag was the first naval combat I've played since Sea Battle on Intellivision-- and though the AC plot was stupid, the naval combat, variable weather, and pirate shanties were just an absolute blast.

FireWhizzle
Apr 2, 2009

a neckbeard elemental
Grimey Drawer
If only there was a game company that could motion capture Chris Roberts flying toy spaceships around with his hands making plane noises.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

G0RF posted:

"Why are they ignoring 2.0 related questions?" (Ask the fans.) Ben explains "It's at a point where there's not a lot to say about it. It's essentially content complete and is now in the long and boring QA review cycle."

It's bullshit. If it's in QA, then they MUST already have something to talk about and show. Especially since, just last week, they were saying 2.0 was "close".

Kurr de la Cruz
May 21, 2007

Put the boots to him, medium style.

Hair Elf

MeLKoR posted:

Did you just admit you are helping D_Smart doxx Chris Roberts?

Let me consult my lawyer...

She says I'm not supposed to talk about it. Sorry. :saddowns:

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

I wanted this to happen!!
Soiled Meat

Kurr de la Cruz posted:

Let me consult my lawyer...

She says I'm not supposed to talk about it. Sorry. :saddowns:

A good lawyer. How many bones do you need to pay to keep her on retainer like that?

Kurr de la Cruz
May 21, 2007

Put the boots to him, medium style.

Hair Elf

Matlock Birthmark posted:

A good lawyer. How many bones do you need to pay to keep her on retainer like that?

Not too expensive I've got her on a belly-rub retainer

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Sandi

I know you are reading this thread.

You are a terrible actress

:gary:

Meta-Mollusk
May 2, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer

And it includes commentary by Debbie and the Master too? :aaa: Thanks, this is definitely something I have to buy.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Matlock Birthmark posted:

You honestly hope for a RICO case out of this?

I mean, it would be hilarious, but I really don't see it going that far.

Yes. I know things.

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

G0RF posted:

I've been meaning to ask-- how does the naval combat in this compare to Black Flag? Black Flag was the first naval combat I've played since Sea Battle on Intellivision-- and though the AC plot was stupid, the naval combat, variable weather, and pirate shanties were just an absolute blast.

It's pretty good much different than AC. I'm still learning the ropes myself, but having the weather-gauge does matter, especially depending on the rigging of your target. It's almost exactly like PotBS, but it's more challenging because a lot more "real" elements are in play. Reload times are almost on par with the AoS era. Progression is lumpy right now as the devs hash out the best way. They don' t want the meta to rule it.

Every weekend there's a Trafalgar massive battle that's streamed on Twitch.

I'll just paste a random video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BseiYqcWG4M

some battles can last 10 minutes to upwards of a hour.

e: The important thing: Yes ramming is possible

The Saddest Robot
Apr 17, 2007

D_Smart posted:

Yes. I know things.

Stop teasing us.

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

D_Smart posted:

Yes. I know things.

if this gets RICO-qualified, then this will be the most ham-fisted attempt at racketeering ever tried

goddamn this is straight up "The Producers" of video games

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

The Saddest Robot posted:

Come on Derek do us a solid and get us this info. Something actually useful and damning to RSI instead of blowing a bunch of hot air up our asses.

I would love to; but I can't. Under strict legal orders on what I can and cannot divulge without it being in a legally filed complaint as that provides lots of legal protections they can't get around. We simply do not want to give them any room for any kind of time-wasting counter-suit, regardless of merit. As I said here, it'd not fun.

You have no idea how they freaking butchered my last blog. It was a LOT worse than it turned out. :(

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

An RSS feed bot who makes questionable purchasing decisions.
Pillbug

Lovely Senorita posted:

if this gets RICO-qualified, then this will be the most ham-fisted attempt at racketeering ever tried

goddamn this is straight up "Gizmondo" of video games

Pogue Ma Hoon
Oct 17, 2013

I like a nice pair of slacks.

Hey Seraph, serious question: what was the look on your Dad's face when you denied loving an underage relative?

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

Soiled Meat

D_Smart posted:

Yes. I know things.

Well I look forward to hearing all about it in 5-10 years then.

Because if it does qualify as a RICO case, it's going to be forever before we get all the juicy details.

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene
hello derek do you pronounce the word 'both' like it has an l? bolth? or are you a bowth kind of guy

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

After putting together another Broadway Hollywood flop, down-on-his-luck producer video game director Max Bialystock Chris Roberts teams up with timid accountant wannabe actress Leo Bloom Sandi Gardiner in a get-rich-quick scheme to put on create the world's worst best show game.

Pogue Ma Hoon
Oct 17, 2013

I like a nice pair of slacks.

D_Smart posted:

I would love to; but I can't. Under strict legal orders on what I can and cannot divulge without it being in a legally filed complaint as that provides lots of legal protections they can't get around. We simply do not want to give them any room for any kind of time-wasting counter-suit, regardless of merit. As I said here, it'd not fun.

You have no idea how they freaking butchered my last blog. It was a LOT worse than it turned out. :(

Maybe you should just leak that poo poo then. Give it to someone else and let the poo poo splatter where it may.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

OhDearGodNo posted:

However at the same time I'm currently playing another game in alpha that actually works.

What game is that? Links please.

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

this is good too, though they actually managed to ship something (and games)

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Doctor Butts posted:

So, Derek Smart, have you made a link between Gem Productions/Gregory Mantell and Roberts/SC yet? proof trying to funnel SC money into a feature film?

Yes. It was in my The Long Con blog.

And I tweeted this, which made Sandi Tweet this shortly thereafter.

Except she didn't realize that I had already linked her to Gemini 42 as one of the companies they created as part of Star Citizen. It's even listed in my latest blog.

D_Smart fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Nov 6, 2015

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

D_Smart posted:

What game is that? Links please.

http://www.navalaction.com/

It's in alpha.

SA thread:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3683189&pagenumber=1

Playlist to have playing while in-game:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QHWAzBZ2hDA&list=PLxCv5yXYzYTYz7vJzSgV-vQyfcelOozTS

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

maybe the squadron 42 movie can be better than this turd: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Rxoz13Bthc

Berious
Nov 13, 2005

Nation posted:

lol im the backer funded film studio

Is this the exit plan? Looks like Derek might be right about it all blowing up soon :f5:

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

grimcreaper posted:

Out of curiosity, has Croberts responded to your new blog yet?

Also, thank you for all the work your doing. Your doing a drat good job helping people to realize how bad of a scam the whole thing actually is. You saved a couple of my friends a few hundred each (after refunds). If it werent for the threads here on SA, i may have JPEGed myself as well. Thankfully it never came to that. I remain, to this day, JPEG free.

He hasn't responded and I doubt that he will. I've been told that, as usual, there's lots of screaming and cussing. And they're back on yet another mole hunt.

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Research confirms that black is a color like silver is a color, and that beyond black is clarity.
Just a reminder that as much as people bitch about Doobie's Dog House, that kickstarter actually yielded a result.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Lord_NeckBeard posted:

I hope you recover legal bills out of all this, Dr. Smart.

Holy poo poo.

This dumb, mushmouth motherfucker is a minor hollywood producer and the only tail he can get a ring on is his loving intern at this low level production company he's a partner in. A hollywood 4, who apparently has emotional problems. After loving up his movie career, he lucks into a hundred million dollars and uses spacegame dreams and dollars to try to set up a motion capture business and also jumpstart his crazy, not that hot, not that talented over 40 year old wanna be actress's career?

This guy has broken his brain on cocaine. He probably did it in 2006, when he hosed up his movie career.

If this is an LA based mo cap studio that is going to make movie quality performances, I'm thinking it'll take a lot more than the $20 million I've seen thrown around for it. I'm thinking all the companies were used as a way to move assets around to get loans and then spend that on the LA movie operation.

I think the judge will pretty early see that the finances are weird and predispose them to be critical of the project management. This is the time actual auditors come into play. An independent forensic accounting team will be called for. Dr Smart is offering to pay.

The banks hoodwinked into lending to these many different companies will be paying attention to this and demand access to the books.

Dealing with angry creditors will do them in. A bank can call a loan in. All the banks can call their loans in. Credit crunch, mass layoffs, and Chris Roberts is going to jail. Or suicide.

I will recover some costs, but not all. I don't even care anymore to be honest. It's not like I'm spending money on JPEG ships. They made this personal and tried to vilify me for voicing concerns about a project. Now they're experiencing what happens when someone - who isn't some unknown rear end-clown on the Internet - gets to experience when you do stupid poo poo like that and think you can get away with it. A man has got to know his limitations.

Meta-Mollusk
May 2, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer

D_Smart posted:

Yes. I know things.

As an ignorant Eurogoon I had to Google what the hell is a RICO case and goddamn, that sounds way more serious than I anticipated. :stonk:

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

A Neurotic Jew posted:

Ever since CitizenCon ended, either Ben or Jared have been consistently trying to downplay peoples expectations for the game instead of irresponsibly inflating them. They would always have to downplay certain things like release dates, the cutlass, etc. but now it seems like a more generalized tempering. It really does feel like we are approaching the end game.

Yes, that's because they've got a new plan to not "hype things up", following Chris's Citizens Conned speech about "no more release dates".

They're hosed. Really that simple.

And now that I've written about what I think is coming in 2.0, they're probably going to work twice as hard to prove me wrong. Which is great. But that could mean delays. And if they delay it, then they won't have poo poo to show for the anniversary sale that's coming up. They have before 11/26 to pull a rabbit our of a smelly hat. They will fail.

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

Soiled Meat

Meta-Mollusk posted:

As an ignorant Eurogoon I had to Google what the hell is a RICO case and goddamn, that sounds way more serious than I anticipated. :stonk:

It actually is, and while I'm giving Dsmart the benefit of the doubt, I can't imagine this would qualify for a RICO situation.

It's what they brought against FIFA if I'm remembering correctly. It's a pretty big deal in the US.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Bootcha posted:

I think the worst, most telling barometer in this whole thing is who Chris Roberts has chased away from his old Origin/DA posse.

Eric Peterson, with him at the beginning at Origin, at DA, with CIG. Left.
Travis Day, son of the Elder Day, long time Origin and DA and CIG. Left.
Martin Galway, Origin and DA. Forced to leave.
George Oldziey, Origin, didn't even get so much as a sideways glance after 6 months.
Rob Irving, Origin, left shortly after Eric.

These were the guys that backed CR and his project, or at least signed on slightly later saying "I'm sure we can do this".

I never really talked to Tony, he was always busy when I was at the Austin office. I can't imagine what's going through his head, should the downsizing/obsolescence of the Austin office come true.

As I've been finding out, the echoes of my own investigation got around and I've been hearing from other ex-Origin folks who knew CR to be a Hollywood wanna-be and what's happening is kinda close to what development went through with WC4.

Beyond actors looking for work, I can't think of any Hollywood-era CR folks backing him up.

Lesnick is the only one I can think of from Origin days that still stands beside CR. Considering how much of his life he's dedicated to keeping Wing Commander semi-relevant, both in material preservation and the CIC site itself, I'm not sure he can tear himself away from the project. He moved from Maryland to Austin to LA in the span of 3 years, all while getting married. I can't imagine Ben and Alexis are comfortable. Honestly, I think he's as fed up with this project as I am. But he's the nerd jester in CR's court, being told to dance. And he will, it's a job.

It's all just... poo poo.

There is no way that Lesnick bails. This project is his lifeline. Even though I take him to task, I feel sorry for the poor guy tbh because he's just going to be the community fall guy :(

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

OhDearGodNo posted:

some battles can last 10 minutes to upwards of a hour.
e: The important thing: Yes ramming is possible
I'm going to have to back this. Thanks for the pointers!

G0RF fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Jul 12, 2016

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

pioneermax posted:

So I had never heard of this game before I got involved with a gaming community (playing another game) and two of the guys there started talking to me about this game, this star citizen which was the "last hope of pc gaming" they were evangelical about it and further discussion lead to them telling me they had spent $5000 between them on "ships". I was of course quite sceptical about this (around July time) and started looking in to it realised CR was involved shrugged my shoulders and my response was "ill buy it when it comes out".

When the last thread popped up I thought it was interesting and as these guys were both pretty decent reasonable guys I thought they might want a heads up, well since I linked them the thread and they discovered im a goon they haven't talked to me in about a month now (from daily conversations teamspeak). It seems as if there is almost cult developed amongst many backers who refuse to believe in anything bar CIG and Chris Roberts its almost Scientology like at this point and its sad to see quite reasonable people sucked into this bullshit.

I have gone from fairly uninterested in the game to actively wanting to see it crash and burn now, cults are dangerous and people like Chris Roberts and his teams ability to convince people to keep throwing thousands of dollars at the game while sojourning all common sense and reason needs to be stopped.

In short Derek Smart is not the hero we deserve but the hero we need and I for one am rooting for him all the way.

Thing is, back when I wrote my first blog in July, I just assumed that was the end of it. Little did I know that it would come to this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jaffyjaffy
Sep 27, 2010
IfWhen SC and CIG eventually dies and whatever legal action that may follow runs it's course, do you believe that crowdfunding as a whole will die with it? I know other crowdfunded projects have been successful and delivered what was asked of them, but ~$100 million is still a shitload of money. I don't see kickstarting games coming out of this unscathed.

• Locked thread