Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

D_Smart posted:

Yes. I know things.

Quoted for posterity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Matlock Birthmark posted:

It actually is, and while I'm giving Dsmart the benefit of the doubt, I can't imagine this would qualify for a RICO situation.

It's what they brought against FIFA if I'm remembering correctly. It's a pretty big deal in the US.

It's a lot of money. Raised through the public. With several international entities involved. And a bunch of guys who were part of a company involved in the Gizmondo money laundering op.

The Feds don't even need a reason anymore to lump everything under a RICO case since it gives them a lot more leeway when international entities are involved.

I have had extensive discussions with legal about this. It's not something we focus on because we're not involved in that and really don't care what the Feds do or don't do.

ickna
May 19, 2004

Lesnick isn't bailing because he's Smart's mole and just wants to watch the world burn.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

jaffyjaffy posted:

IfWhen SC and CIG eventually dies and whatever legal action that may follow runs it's course, do you believe that crowdfunding as a whole will die with it? I know other crowdfunded projects have been successful and delivered what was asked of them, but ~$100 million is still a shitload of money. I don't see kickstarting games coming out of this unscathed.

No, I don't believe it will die, but it will have a serious and long lasting impact. Especially in the gaming sector.

fat bossy gerbil
Jul 1, 2007

People will still crowd fund, after all we've gotten some great games via well run crowd funded projects. But people will want more transparency and accountability and they will certainly think twice before they spend thousands on jpegs.

Starkk
Dec 31, 2008

OhDearGodNo posted:

This is the first time I've been in this Twitch chat, and honestly these questions are just terrible.

However at the same time I'm currently playing another game in alpha that actually works.

Do you know when they are going to start selling access again?

Meta-Mollusk
May 2, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer

It actually is, and while I'm giving Dsmart the benefit of the doubt, I can't imagine this would qualify for a RICO situation.

It's what they brought against FIFA if I'm remembering correctly. It's a pretty big deal in the US.

Yeah I doubt it's really that serious, and as much as the idea of Chris, Sandi and Ortwin wearing orange makes me smile, I kinda hope it doesn't have to go that far.

Berious
Nov 13, 2005

jaffyjaffy posted:

IfWhen SC and CIG eventually dies and whatever legal action that may follow runs it's course, do you believe that crowdfunding as a whole will die with it? I know other crowdfunded projects have been successful and delivered what was asked of them, but ~$100 million is still a shitload of money. I don't see kickstarting games coming out of this unscathed.

People will still chuck their money at poo poo. There have been enough successes. Look at all the goons getting excited about Battletech. But dude who did a games thing in the 90s and wants to do that thing again but betterer might be over.

I hope it leads to some consumer protections because it'd be cool if it all started with Derek Smart and funny pictures.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Yeah, and FIFA was involved with much MUCH more serious things. The Justice Department tried to apply RICO where they could, but even then was difficult when it came to FIFA because of acts (such as racketeering, murder, bribing, whatever) committed by separate defendants rather than an organization as a whole. This absolutely will not come to a RICO situation.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

You never watched the Sopranos?

RICO is the poo poo they used to take down the mob, that's pretty much what it's for. It's serious loving business.

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

An RSS feed bot who makes questionable purchasing decisions.
Pillbug
Reminder, Al Capone got taken down due to tax evasion, not mafia dealings

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Divide the increase by 10 to get a rough idea of how many idiots spent over 1000 bucks on jpegs.

fat bossy gerbil
Jul 1, 2007

Whether or not RICO will apply depends on how much collusion is going on between our main fraudsters and how much of that can be proven on paper.

Basically what RICO does is it says alright, we might not have enough evidence of individual crimes that you committed, but if we can prove you were part of an ongoing criminal enterprise we can charge you with any of the crimes committed by any of the other members of said organization.

fat bossy gerbil fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Nov 6, 2015

DarkRefreshment
May 5, 2015

Nothing is funnier than a dog in a formal outfit. Look it up on the internets.

Lord_NeckBeard posted:

I hope you recover legal bills out of all this, Dr. Smart.

Holy poo poo.

This dumb, mushmouth motherfucker is a minor hollywood producer and the only tail he can get a ring on is his loving intern at this low level production company he's a partner in. A hollywood 4, who apparently has emotional problems. After loving up his movie career, he lucks into a hundred million dollars and uses spacegame dreams and dollars to try to set up a motion capture business and also jumpstart his crazy, not that hot, not that talented over 40 year old wanna be actress's career?

She's 35 according to IMDB
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1667407/

The years have been rough...

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

theultimo posted:

Reminder, Al Capone got taken down due to tax evasion, not mafia dealings
Yeah, but that's way before they enacted RICO. They got him for tax evasion because they couldn't get him for anything else, the legal system just didn't have the tools to deal with organised crime.

Meta-Mollusk
May 2, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer

D_Smart posted:

I have had extensive discussions with legal about this.

It's an old joke but this still made me giggle. :woof:

to0terfish
Apr 4, 2015

Pork Pro
http://www.pcgamer.com/meet-a-fan-who-has-spent-30000-on-star-citizen-ships/

$30,000 is a down payment on a house.

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

I wanted this to happen!!
Soiled Meat

tooterfish posted:

RICO is the poo poo they used to take down the mob, that's pretty much what it's for. It's serious loving business.

Yes, I agree, it's pretty serious. Which is why I find it hard to believe that this whole Star Citizen fiasco would qualify.

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

An RSS feed bot who makes questionable purchasing decisions.
Pillbug

DarkRefreshment posted:

She's 35 according to IMDB
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1667407/

The years have been rough...

Lmao she's like E list star, being an extra for quite a few trashy films, and a goddam 10 seconds in a soap opera.

Sandi/y, GIVE UP YOUR DREAM YOU ARE AWFUL

Loiosh
Jul 25, 2010

tooterfish posted:

A RICO case requires the justice department make a case that there is a conspiracy of criminal intent. You have to show the participants were part of an organization and had intent to commit a crime. RICO allows you to charge all of the participants of a criminal conspiracy with the same charges, instead of having to build a case for each individual. They're generally used for taking down large syndicates or networks. This would not happen for a game developer as there is no need to put in the work. You can charge the participants individually and have the result you need.

If everyone involved at CIG was part of a criminal enterprise, and remember this requires not only showing that their actions were criminal, but that the intent was to commit a crime, then you'd have grounds for a RICO prosecution. This is at best a small part of a foreign subsidiary of a large developer.

A lot of younger people remember RICO took down the MOB!! And forget the reason RICO was created, and used, was to take down large criminal enterprises when the leaders were not committing the crimes. Mr. Smart has insisted that he has knowledge that at least some of the leaders are directly involved in criminal activity, so again, no need for RICO in a case like that. ... Assuming that all is true, of course.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

quote:

There’s that—I’m not even going to mention his name—the one guy, I know you know who it is, who keeps ragging on it.

He who shall not be named. :black101:

a whole buncha crows
May 8, 2003

WHEN WE DON'T KNOW WHO TO HATE, WE HATE OURSELVES.-SA USER NATION (AKA ME!)
hey thread should i buy elite y/n?

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Suck on that wulf :boom:

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

To be fair this guy says he just did "side jobs" to pay for this. Either he's lying, or he's very wealthy indeed. I don't know what $30k is to him, but it's probably a lot less than it is to most people.

It's the people spending $10k when that's every penny they've got in their bank account that are really insane. If you're swimming in money and throw some of it on this bonfire it's not so weird.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Chalks posted:

To be fair this guy says he just did "side jobs" to pay for this. Either he's lying, or he's very wealthy indeed. I don't know what $30k is to him, but it's probably a lot less than it is to most people.

It's the people spending $10k when that's every penny they've got in their bank account that are really insane. If you're swimming in money and throw some of it on this bonfire it's not so weird.

The amount of money you have does not make spending 30k on space jpegs less dumb.

Raskolnikov
Nov 25, 2003

While I was in L.A. for Comikaze as well as to hang out with my friend and her family, yes that friend, I saw a Scientology booth cleverly disguised as a book booth! Being the goon I am, I proudly go "Yey! Scientology!" And snapped this photo. I think they lady's face on the left says it all.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

fuctifino posted:

Sandi read for the same guy in March for a different movie, and it looks like it's the same office (same table/window size).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f78lC7zHNFY

Just to explain why more people are not talking about this here. We found all this out weeks ago in one of the other Star Citizen threads, videos, twitter photos the lot, I think most of it came originally from sources leaking to Derek back then. I'm not saying don't talk about it, just saying most of us know all this.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

Is it me, or is PC Gamer the only place with regular articles on Star Citizen?

xiansi
Jan 26, 2012

im judjing all goons cause they have bad leader, so a noral member is associated whith thoose crasy one

Personaly i would quit the goons if i was in cause of thoose crasy ppl
Clapping Larry

jaffyjaffy posted:

Crowdfunding crazy dreams from failed has-beens for $100M? Already dead I think. There hasn't been anything quite like SC.

Crowdfunding at a sane budget, for games in general? Seems quite healthy.

So far I have backed, received, and played:

FTL
Shadowrun (twice)
Pillars of Eternity
Elite Dangerous (a space game!)
Wasteland 2
Banner Saga
Divinity: Original Sin
Sunless Sea

Some were better than others, some were amazing, all were at least pretty good. And Elite just keeps getting better.

Have also backed and am still waiting on:

Torment: Tides of Numenara
Kingdom come: Delieverance
Pathologic (Remake)

all of which still look promising, and likely to happen.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Wafflz posted:

The amount of money you have does not make spending 30k on space jpegs less dumb.

I dunno, it kinda does to me. To some people, spending $50 on a video game is loads of money but I'd spend that in a blink of an eye. I can imagine that some people are wealthy enough that they might consider 30k to be "fun money".

Obviously the fact that we're talking about star citizen, a game that is being horrendously driven into the ground and will probably never be released yet alone playable or fun, makes things worse. But for me it's way worse to spend your rent money on the game than it is to fart out some money you were going to blow on a second sports car on this instead.

Different worlds.

It's like Derek Smart throwing money at lawyers just so he can write blog posts on the internet. Most people would consider that to be a big waste of money but to someone wealthy it's nothing.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.
I wonder who in the world Alyssa was talking about here?

I'm sure it's nothing...

xiansi
Jan 26, 2012

im judjing all goons cause they have bad leader, so a noral member is associated whith thoose crasy one

Personaly i would quit the goons if i was in cause of thoose crasy ppl
Clapping Larry

Nation posted:

hey thread should i buy elite y/n?

Yeah, probably. Assuming you like space, and spaceships!

But wait 'til December, when Horizons expansion comes out, you get base game with that.

Raskolnikov
Nov 25, 2003

:yarg:

Loiosh
Jul 25, 2010

Kazy posted:

Is it me, or is PC Gamer the only place with regular articles on Star Citizen?

There is little reason for most places to report on it. A lot of them investigated some of Derek's allegations or wrote about the Escapist article, but as there has not been a major update since Arena Commander/Racing and the 'Social' module came out, there's no reason for game sites to update about it. It's kinda the same tack they take with Early Access. You don't see a new post on every Rust or Ark update. Only for major updates.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

lol this whole thing is a scam for two failed Hollywood rejects to try and get back into the biz, except croberts has a terrible reputation and Sandi is a terrible actress, so that'll fail too.

Anyone who still has money in this is stupid.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Chalks posted:

I dunno, it kinda does to me. To some people, spending $50 on a video game is loads of money but I'd spend that in a blink of an eye. I can imagine that some people are wealthy enough that they might consider 30k to be "fun money".

Obviously the fact that we're talking about star citizen, a game that is being horrendously driven into the ground and will probably never be released yet alone playable or fun, makes things worse. But for me it's way worse to spend your rent money on the game than it is to fart out some money you were going to blow on a second sports car on this instead.

Different worlds.

It's like Derek Smart throwing money at lawyers just so he can write blog posts on the internet. Most people would consider that to be a big waste of money but to someone wealthy it's nothing.

but $50 is roughly what a video game costs, paying the normal price for something isn't the issue here.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Berious posted:

I hope it leads to some consumer protections because it'd be cool if it all started with Derek Smart and funny pictures.

^this. That's what I'm hoping for. It will be my legacy. I think. :)

Loiosh
Jul 25, 2010

Wafflz posted:

but $50 is roughly what a video game costs, paying the normal price for something isn't the issue here.

It really depends on your perspective. Just as an example, out here in the valley, one of my friends just had his third company purchased. One of the things he likes to do is spread that income to kickstarters, he tosses $5-10k donations to whatever his favorite projects are at the moment. When you have enough money to no longer worry about acquiring income, your perspective shifts on what you consider 'wasting' funds. I occasionally think about $100 purchases, but I have friends who have difficulty getting $5 together for lunch.

It's all a matter of perspective. (For those curious, yes, I do help out my friends.)

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Croberts is currently masturbating furiously over this article.

http://www.bbc.com/news/business-34752120

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

AP posted:

Just to explain why more people are not talking about this here. We found all this out weeks ago in one of the other Star Citizen threads, videos, twitter photos the lot, I think most of it came originally from sources leaking to Derek back then. I'm not saying don't talk about it, just saying most of us know all this.

I must have missed all of this.
These SC threads are hard to keep up with. lol

• Locked thread