Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shiki Dan
Oct 27, 2010

If ya can move ya toes ya back's fine
HHH was not the sole reason for 2002 Royal Rumble's amazing buyrate.

Watching the match, there is a clear dropoff of crowd interest once Austin is eliminated in the top 4.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CityMidnightJunky
May 11, 2013

by Smythe
So Brock Lesnar is, as far as I can remember, a WWE Champion who has ONLY ever held the top belt. No intercontinental, no tag, no European, nothing. Not even a 'secondary world title' like the Big Gold Belt was a few years ago. Who else is in this illustrious category?

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

The_Master posted:

So Brock Lesnar is, as far as I can remember, a WWE Champion who has ONLY ever held the top belt. No intercontinental, no tag, no European, nothing. Not even a 'secondary world title' like the Big Gold Belt was a few years ago. Who else is in this illustrious category?

At the very least, Goldberg.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Goldberg

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
Gooooooldberrrrrrg, Goooooooldberrrrrrg

Glamorama26
Sep 14, 2011

All it comes down to is this: I feel like shit, but look great.
Khali? Though I guess his title was rather secondary at that point.

Though at this rate, I could see Bray ending up in that category.

Glamorama26 fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Nov 6, 2015

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Sgt. Slaughter.

MisterGBH
Dec 6, 2010

Eric Bischoff is full of shit
Sid and Undertaker.

Team_q
Jul 30, 2007

I quit watching wrestling in the 2000's because of Motorhead playing X7 for the benefit of HHH.

At the time I had Shane ahead of HHH for wrestlers I would want to see.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747

MisterGBH posted:

Sid and Undertaker.

He had the tag and I think IC

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

MisterGBH posted:

Sid and Undertaker.

Undertaker was Hardcore champ wasn't he?

Glamorama26
Sep 14, 2011

All it comes down to is this: I feel like shit, but look great.
Sid would apply

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

The reason people hate HHH is pretty much entirely 2002-2004, when almost the entire product was terrible outside of some midcard Smackdown matches, and they decided he would be the guy on which they'd float the entire ship while at the same time wrestling was losing cultural relevance.

This is wrestling, so Internet nerds remember month-long Steiner feuds that happened 12 loving years ago and the time he defeated Booker T with the power of racism. Then we all went back to not caring about Booker T.

DynamiteKidd
Jun 11, 2015

by Shine
Sid and Goldberg both held the US title in WCW, and indeed feuded over it. And tha belt is recognized and promoted by WWE today so don't say that doesn't count.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Undertaker has had the tag titles with the Big Show and Austin I think.

Rusty Shackelford
Feb 7, 2005

CAT rear end now!!! posted:

So what are some instances where WWE had to rethink their main event plans in a hurry due to an injury or something and pulled it off well, possibly even better than what the original plan would've been? Really curious to see what they come up with now that Seth is dead.

In 1992, champion Ric Flair was diagnosed with an inner ear issue that was potentially career threatening. For a variety of reasons, other main eventers at the time were not seen as realistic options, so the choice was made to put the title on Bret. This was the catalyst of the New Generation, which was pretty bad.

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

He was US champ in WCW when he won the title so nope

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

Vince mcmahon

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

Then we all went back to not caring about Booker T.
Booker T is one of my favorites because he always tries to put a little shine on all of the less successful wrestlers.

I hope like hell every night he doesn't get himself kicked off commentary again for accidentally referencing one of the many forbidden historical events of WWE.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

oldpainless posted:

Vince mcmahon

Depends on how you feel about the ECW title.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

"Superstar" Billy Graham.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

remusclaw posted:

Depends on how you feel about the ECW title.

I don't much care for it

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Strenuous Manflurry posted:

I look at a year in WWE's terms as Mania-Mania, but that's fair. Remember though, his Rumble match against Bray loving ruled, and he had several matches against Randy Orton on free TV that were all excellent. Probably some others that I'm forgetting, too, but in 2014 alone, Bryan had more than 2 great matches. The Triple H match might have been his best, in my humble opinion, though it's an ancillary point either way.

Bray was the other big match I was talking about. Besides that, you've got the Elimination Chamber which was OK but had a really lovely ending, those pretty good TV matches against Orton, and Kane. Also the Street Fight somewhere in mid 2013 is better than any of his Orton matches in 2014.

I Before E fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Nov 7, 2015

sleep with the vicious
Apr 2, 2010
Just wanna throw out a quick LOL at Triple H being the best in the world in 2000

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

I Before E posted:

Bray was the other big match I was talking about. Besides that, you've got the Elimination Chamber which was OK but had a really lovely ending, those pretty good TV matches against Orton, and Kane.

I'm still not sure Bray's ever going to top that suicide dive into the Sister Abigail to the barrier spot.

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Team_q posted:

I quit watching wrestling in the 2000's because of Motorhead playing X7 for the benefit of HHH.

This is the dumbest poo poo I've ever heard.

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

The reason people hate HHH is pretty much entirely 2002-2004, when almost the entire product was terrible outside of some midcard Smackdown matches, and they decided he would be the guy on which they'd float the entire ship while at the same time wrestling was losing cultural relevance.

This is wrestling, so Internet nerds remember month-long Steiner feuds that happened 12 loving years ago and the time he defeated Booker T with the power of racism. Then we all went back to not caring about Booker T.

don't pretend that poo poo like his lesnar feud, stepping into cm punk's feud, how the authority is portayed, and other modern poo poo doesn't factor into any of this

Also I always cared about Booker T :mad: And even if nobody did, who the gently caress cares. He beat someone in a racist rear end feud clean, that's inexcusable

Big Coffin Hunter fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Nov 6, 2015

Marquis de Pyro
Sep 25, 2006

Evil Prevails
At the end of the day, Triple H is a B+ player. And there's no shame in that.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Marquis de Pyro posted:

At the end of the day, Triple H is a B+ player.

Wildly inaccurate.

Marquis de Pyro posted:

And there's no shame in that.

Wildly inaccurate.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
maybe Jimmy Snuka

maybe.

Also before HIAC it would have also included Del Rio.

Team_q
Jul 30, 2007

Charles Gnarwin posted:

This is the dumbest poo poo I've ever heard.

I know! That's what I said watching it.

Team_q fucked around with this message at 14:57 on Nov 7, 2015

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

I'm working on an article about all the times WWE/WCW/ECW world titles were vacated and for the most part, I have a good grasp on all the incidents (though good God, the chain of vacancies in 99/00 WCW is ridiculous). Two questions.

1) Is there any story behind the Inoki/Bob Backlund situation in the 80's? Was WWF just throwing them a bone and decided that nobody in America was going to know about it, so they'd just pretend it never happened?

2) Why was Sting stripped of the title after Starrcade '97?

DynamiteKidd
Jun 11, 2015

by Shine
The finish of Starrcade 97 was controversial because the planned fast-count from Nick Patrick on Sting was a normal-speed count, so Bret coming out to restart the match made it seem like Hogan was getting screwed instead of Sting getting his fair shake after being hosed over by the nWo's pocket ref.

It's generally believed Hogan paid Patrick off IRL, or (and I prefer this version) simply asked him, to count normally to gently caress up the finish and make himself look stronger.

Anyway the finish was hosed up so badly that it had to be addressed, and the title was vacated just about immediately pending a rematch

Cocksmith
Dec 28, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Gavok posted:

He wasn't ready, brother.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Big Coffin Hunter posted:

don't pretend that poo poo like his lesnar feud, stepping into cm punk's feud, how the authority is portayed, and other modern poo poo doesn't factor into any of this

Also I always cared about Booker T :mad: And even if nobody did, who the gently caress cares. He beat someone in a racist rear end feud clean, that's inexcusable

I'm being really unfair to Booker T but he didn't exactly lose clean. It was very much treated as a Mania midcard event on a historically stacked card and I don't think they put much thought into besides "gotta keep the title on Triple H for when Goldberg comes in tomorrow." Booker T went on to continue being really stale until like 2006, where he was awarded with a title run as a comedy heel, which says a lot about the roster and quality of 2006.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

DynamiteKidd posted:

Anyway the finish was hosed up so badly that it had to be addressed, and the title was vacated just about immediately pending a rematch

The title was vacated much later and the Starrcade match was not actually invalidated in the slightest.

Gavok posted:

Because WCW.

this was the chain of events

1. Hogan wins the match with a slow fast 3-count (basically a normal cadence) because he got in Patrick's ear.
2. Hart comes out restarts the match (despite the normal 3-count cadence)
3. Sting wins the title, locker room celebrates
4. The next night on Nitro (12/29), JJ Dillon (still WCW president) rules that since Bret Hart was a referee in the match before, he was OK to restart the match.
5. Hogan protests more, Sting agrees to have a rematch to settle the controversy ON THIS VERY NITRO
6. Entrances start with about 10 minutes left in the show.
7. No overrun, instead we'll get the results NextWeekOnNitro as the show ends in the middle of the match.
8. On the 1/5/98 Nitro, we're told that the footage from the match is being held up in court for some reason, and for the very first time, that we'll have to watch WCW's brand new show THUNDER to see the results
9. So on 1/8 Thunder, we see just about pure WCW. The replay is shown. Sting has control of the match, but Hogan pulls referee Randy Anderson in front of him as Sting attempts a Stinger Splash. Ref down. Sting applies a Scorpion deathlock, while Nick Patrick runs into the ring to serve as the replacement. Patrick orders a break for some reason, Sting releases, shoves Patrick, and on the distraction is attacked by Hogan. Hogan schoolboys Sting and grabs the tights for another 3-count that's supposed to be fast, but really normal cadence. Sting attacks Patrick and throws him out of the ring, after he calls to give Hogan the belt. He sticks Hogan in the Deathlock Anderson wakes up, sees Hogan in the submission and calls for the bell.
10. As a result of a dusty finish in order to drive up Thunder ratings, Dillon strips Sting of the belt and promises a rematch.
11. 2 months later after 48 hours of WCW being utter idiots with the world title booking, Sting wins the belt for good at Superbrawl after Savage popped Hogan with a can of spraypaint.

Not sure how much of this was planned in advance or just a shot term ratings grab to be honest. Back in Noember, Scott Hall won WW3 to get a Superbrawl worl title shot. That world title match was relegated to the semi-main of Uncensored in March. (Hogan/Savage was the ME, naturally)

Also the only person with an actual clean pin in any of the 3 Sting/Hogan matches was Hogan's first fall at Starrcade.

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

pink wasn't even a thing why is t#RXT REVOLUTION~!
and i'm so fucking excited for #SCOOPS#SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS
:sludgepal:
he knows..
are the Dory Funk Jr. style uppercut and the European uppercut different moves or just different ways of executing the same move?

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
How common was blading in WWF pre-Wrestlemania 13?

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Kennel posted:

How common was blading in WWF pre-Wrestlemania 13?

from 1993 to 1996 there wasn't much of it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

ayn rand hand job posted:

The title was vacated much later and the Starrcade match was not actually invalidated in the slightest.

Because WCW.

this was the chain of events

1. Hogan wins the match with a slow fast 3-count (basically a normal cadence) because he got in Patrick's ear.
2. Hart comes out restarts the match (despite the normal 3-count cadence)
3. Sting wins the title, locker room celebrates
4. The next night on Nitro (12/29), JJ Dillon (still WCW president) rules that since Bret Hart was a referee in the match before, he was OK to restart the match.
5. Hogan protests more, Sting agrees to have a rematch to settle the controversy ON THIS VERY NITRO
6. Entrances start with about 10 minutes left in the show.
7. No overrun, instead we'll get the results NextWeekOnNitro as the show ends in the middle of the match.
8. On the 1/5/98 Nitro, we're told that the footage from the match is being held up in court for some reason, and for the very first time, that we'll have to watch WCW's brand new show THUNDER to see the results
9. So on 1/8 Thunder, we see just about pure WCW. The replay is shown. Sting has control of the match, but Hogan pulls referee Randy Anderson in front of him as Sting attempts a Stinger Splash. Ref down. Sting applies a Scorpion deathlock, while Nick Patrick runs into the ring to serve as the replacement. Patrick orders a break for some reason, Sting releases, shoves Patrick, and on the distraction is attacked by Hogan. Hogan schoolboys Sting and grabs the tights for another 3-count that's supposed to be fast, but really normal cadence. Sting attacks Patrick and throws him out of the ring, after he calls to give Hogan the belt. He sticks Hogan in the Deathlock Anderson wakes up, sees Hogan in the submission and calls for the bell.
10. As a result of a dusty finish in order to drive up Thunder ratings, Dillon strips Sting of the belt and promises a rematch.
11. 2 months later after 48 hours of WCW being utter idiots with the world title booking, Sting wins the belt for good at Superbrawl after Savage popped Hogan with a can of spraypaint.

Not sure how much of this was planned in advance or just a shot term ratings grab to be honest. Back in Noember, Scott Hall won WW3 to get a Superbrawl worl title shot. That world title match was relegated to the semi-main of Uncensored in March. (Hogan/Savage was the ME, naturally)

Also the only person with an actual clean pin in any of the 3 Sting/Hogan matches was Hogan's first fall at Starrcade.

I knew there had to be more to it than just the Starrcade match, but holy poo poo.