Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

Taffer posted:

That will always happen at some point regardless of how you set it up. If you give it too little ram, MC will likely eventually crash, and even if it doesn't, GC sweeps will be more aggressive trying to clear out RAM which causes stutter. If you give it too much RAM, MC and it's 10000 memory leaks will eventually fill the entire allocation even if it's 64GB (I tried this once, literally. It filled all 64GB) and the GC sweeps will have to go through ALL that ram and that will cause stutters. It's a damned if you do damned if you don't type situation.

For most packs 2GB-3.5GB is the "sweet spot" where it'll run fine for the longest period. Don't give it more than 3.5GB with any pack though. It'll just make it worse.
I started to get serious pauses any time a gui was supposed to appear in regrowth; it was worst when I clicked on a crafting table next to a chest or tried to put a lot of items into the drawer controller at once. Not sure if it's memory related or if it was just a bug, and persisted across game loads but it fixed when completely restarted.

Bhodi fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Nov 5, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Bhodi posted:

I started to get serious pauses any time a gui was supposed to appear in regrowth; it was worst when I clicked on a crafting table next to a chest or tried to put a lot of items into the drawer controller at once. Not sure if it's memory related or if it was just a bug, and persisted across game loads but it fixed when completely restarted.

If it's fixed when you completely restart, it is almost certainly a memory related problem. Relogging doesn't clear the ram at all.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Bhodi posted:

Relogging will actually make it worse because as mentioned it not only doesn't clear the ram, but it actually clogs it more by holding ram from the old "process" (which is now mostly useless) and still reloading all the same things into new ram.

If you start to jitter, do a full restart. For your sanity.

Heffer
May 1, 2003

Bill gates plz migrate Minecraft off java, thx

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
Yes let us migrate it to .net, where we can have exactly the same problems with the .net garbage collector.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
Forget optifine and runtime performance tweaks, we need a memory serializer to cache the 3 minute loadup of all these modpacks!

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003
Okay, FTB Infinity expert mode is still undergoing balance changes. I didn't realize it was a beta release. In a (not Recommended) patch they changed the void jar recipe to make a little more sense- it requires a bottle of ender air instead. That's still not convenient but it's definitely less annoying to get than voidmetal, and that means it's no longer a warp recipe.

I wonder if the balance will actually be reasonable in the end. Right now it seems like all you have to do is progress until you can do Immersive Engineering stuff, get some water wheels or windmills for power generation, then build its version of the laser drill (excavator or something) and have all the ore forever. Immersive Engineering seems to mostly just cost iron, so it's not very lategame.

Kinger
Sep 30, 2003

I'm sick of my head doing things.
Is it no longer possible to prevent Botania's passive flowers from withering? I've been playing Regrowth (0.83 if it matters, Botania is r1.7-228) and even though I set passiveWither.time in the config to -1, the flowers are still dying after a few days.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

Kinger posted:

Is it no longer possible to prevent Botania's passive flowers from withering? I've been playing Regrowth (0.83 if it matters, Botania is r1.7-228) and even though I set passiveWither.time in the config to -1, the flowers are still dying after a few days.

Passive flower withering is no longer an option to disable. You can use an Overgrowth Seed to make a single passive flower not wither.

Good news, however -- a single endoflame is as effective as 38 dayblooms!

Blind Duke
Nov 8, 2013
The modder removed that configuration option, since it does not jive with their design beliefs

Kinger
Sep 30, 2003

I'm sick of my head doing things.
Okay, cool. Just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something obvious. Thanks!

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
Design beliefs... nice. Withering is a pointless mechanic since you upgrade from day/nightblooms almost immediately and it'd take literal fields and fields of them to be worthwhile and anyone who wants to put that much effort should be entitled to free mana, it's not substantially different to a tree farm making charcoal or leaves; it's all renewable!

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Yeah, like I get that the argument is that any active mana generators are way superior, so given that, why nerf passive generation at all? If a whole field of dayblooms is needed for 1 exoflame, why would you worry people are going to overdo it? I guess there's this fear that people are going to build a 20-chunk daybloom superfield or something and lag the server to hell, but it seems like a pretty fringe case.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Vib Rib posted:

Yeah, like I get that the argument is that any active mana generators are way superior, so given that, why nerf passive generation at all? If a whole field of dayblooms is needed for 1 exoflame, why would you worry people are going to overdo it? I guess there's this fear that people are going to build a 20-chunk daybloom superfield or something and lag the server to hell, but it seems like a pretty fringe case.

Part of it was that a nonzero number of people couldn't or wouldn't see past the giant fields of dayblooms, and when they inevitably set up huge farms of them, server owners would complain that "Botania is laggy."

It sounds infantile, but reputation for server performance is important! A big part of the reason everyone uses Thermal Expansion and Big Reactors is that they are extremely performant.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

and, you know,

Glory of Arioch posted:

Good news, however -- a single endoflame is as effective as 38 dayblooms!

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Vib Rib posted:

Anything that allows laggy spam will be used by grognards to create laggy spam. Source: people have done exactly this on my server and it sucked, a lot.

Kurr de la Cruz
May 21, 2007

Put the boots to him, medium style.

Hair Elf

Taffer posted:

Anything that allows laggy spam will be used by grognards to create laggy spam. Source: people have done exactly this on my server and it sucked, a lot.

And also the loving chickens. Always the chickens.

God I miss progress. When will you bring it back?

ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Uh oh. What did he do now?

Nap Ghost

Kurr de la Cruz posted:

With how awful the mob pathing AI is for servers I've always been kind of surprised there's no "cloning vats" type of mod that lets you farm the resources of mobs without them actually ever existing in the world.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

push button, receive egg

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003
Do Looniums drop overgrowth seeds?

ImpactVector posted:

With how awful the mob pathing AI is for servers I've always been kind of surprised there's no "cloning vats" type of mod that lets you farm the resources of mobs without them actually ever existing in the world.

Well Magical Crops can do that, kindof.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

McFrugal posted:

Do Looniums drop overgrowth seeds?

Yes. And if you have tinker's construct it will also drop the world destroying sword as well.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
What are the magical crop recipes not altered like the regrowth mod? How do you get the seeds?

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

you can also get overgrowth seeds from the gaia guardian 2

Datasmurf
Jan 19, 2009

Carpe Noctem

Kurr de la Cruz posted:

God I miss progress. When will you bring it back?

I miss my chicken farm. And the mob farms. But I can see how the server would lag if they didn't die more or less immediatly.

I still think the Angelas were the worst offender on the last Progress server, though.

vibur
Apr 23, 2004

Datasmurf posted:

I still think the Angelas were the worst offender on the last Progress server, though.
I really hate Witchery.

EricFate
Aug 31, 2001

Crumpets. Glorious Crumpets.

Glory of Arioch posted:

Part of it was that a nonzero number of people couldn't or wouldn't see past the giant fields of dayblooms, and when they inevitably set up huge farms of them, server owners would complain that "Botania is laggy."

Which is why server owners have ALWAYS had the option to configure them to decay. Now nobody gets the option unless they download the forked copy where it has been re-enabled by another modder.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

EricFate posted:

Which is why server owners have ALWAYS had the option to configure them to decay. Now nobody gets the option unless they download the forked copy where it has been re-enabled by another modder.

and now the server owners don't have to edit Yet Another Config Option to keep their poo poo running well

EricFate
Aug 31, 2001

Crumpets. Glorious Crumpets.

Glory of Arioch posted:

and now the server owners don't have to edit Yet Another Config Option to keep their poo poo running well

You're right. Because 'enabled by default' would have been too soft of a change.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

EricFate posted:

You're right. Because 'enabled by default' would have been too soft of a change.

Wanting to keep a consistent gameplay experience across servers isn't a bad thing.

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

Taffer posted:

Wanting to keep a consistent gameplay experience across servers isn't a bad thing.

Best force config to Kanade off among other things.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

also i dont have a lot of sympathy for people who spam passive flowers

they're exactly like the loving IC2 solar panel people back in the dark days of 1.2.5, "man ic2 takes a lot of resources, i only have 1000 solar panels this isnt enough"

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
I almost said "Well, obviously the solution was to have a super flower that you craft 9 flowers into, like solar panels were" but then thought about it for a second

i'm actually OK with the change, but it's really a bandaid and I think the system should be reworked.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
Oh boy passive generation, my favorite topic.

I mentioned this last time it came up, but I'd been making fun of vazkii on twitter about this for months. Passive gen always leads to literally the exact same sequence of events. My favorite response to it was someone on reddit going "yeah but it's not like people just spam redstone engines all the time so what's the big deal".

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

here is a fun rule for any budding minecraft modders

don't have effects in your mod that rely on the presence of the following

A) sunlight
2) night time, outside of monster spawning which has its own event structure
iii) rain

thanks and g*d bless

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
Actually making the only passive generator entity run rain-only would take care of a lot.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Actually making the only passive generator entity run rain-only would take care of a lot.

well in botania technically the hydroangeas work better when it rains

but the dayblooms shut off :haw:

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Taffer posted:

"Wanting to keep a consistent gameplay experience" by removing options is pretty much indistinguishable from modders running their poo poo into the ground because "my vision".

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Vib Rib posted:

"Wanting to keep a consistent gameplay experience" by removing options is pretty much indistinguishable from modders running their poo poo into the ground because "my vision".

more like amputating lovely gameplay

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Glory of Arioch posted:

more like amputating lovely gameplay
In which "lovely gameplay" is synonymous with "goes against the modder's vision", which is the entire problem.

This whole discussion feels like goalposts on a treadmill. If it was about balance, it should have been an option. If it was about server lag, that option should have defaulted to withering passives. But now that it's past that and we're to the point where the option itself is removed it's still okay because modder knows best.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
A temporary diversion from vision chat. I can't figure out the whole storage bus->interface->molecular assembler thing in AE2 for keeping basic levels of items in play. I want to figure this out since it seems more efficient than level emitters, which take up a lot of space... and channels. I get the basic idea. The interface should generate a draw on the storage bus when it is out of a designated item which will cause the storage bus to try to pull one, triggering autocrafting from a pattern. Or something.

I am trying to make some wooden buttons so I can get some machina essentia from them. I have a pattern to designate oak turns into planks, and a plank turns into a button. I added a crafting card to the interface in the chain. For the inventory, I put a plank in the top and bottom slot in the rows. That's what I saw online, although I don't really get it. I'll see the button from the bottom slot in my network, and I can pull it out, but nothing autocrafts from this afterwards. What is the procedure for setting this up?