Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
There's a clearance sale on an overpriced Foodsaver 3860, MSRP $300, but will become $75 if you put it in your cart which is a great deal:
http://slickdeals.net/f/8172416-foodsaver-vacuum-sealing-kit-v3860-kit-or-outdoorsman-kit-75-more-free-s-h?v=1

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Subjunctive posted:

What are people's recommendations for Cornish game hen? I've seen anything from 2 to 7 hours at 150-160. It's about 1.5 lbs, I think spatchcocked.
2-3 should work fine, it's chicken, not like you're trying to break down connective tissue or anything.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Steve Yun posted:

There's a clearance sale on an overpriced Foodsaver 3860, MSRP $300, but will become $75 if you put it in your cart which is a great deal:
http://slickdeals.net/f/8172416-foodsaver-vacuum-sealing-kit-v3860-kit-or-outdoorsman-kit-75-more-free-s-h?v=1

Man, that's nice as gently caress and I'd love it but here I have a refurbished Rival vacuum sealer that I got on meh.com for like $18 and it works a charm. Caveat emptor.

The Bunk
Sep 15, 2007

Oh, I just don't know
where to begin.
Fun Shoe

Steve Yun posted:

Dead, showing up as $187 now. :snoop:

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre
I grabbed a foodsaver at BJs when it was on sale for like 65$ and it came with a ton of poo poo. I highly recommend it if it gets cheap, I use it all the time

drukqs
Oct 15, 2010

wank wank you're a pro vaper I'm not wooptiedoo...
tri tip, 131.5 for 9 hours

salt + pepper + smoked paprika, I did also brine beforehand but... not even for an hour.

the paprika maybe... made my crust look crustier or more complete than it actually is. Still the best results I've had w/ tri tip.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
That's some good lookin meat. I made filet mignon the other day and man. Perfect. Didn't think to take a picture but that might have been the best I'd ever made.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Guys, don't kill me for this but...I don't think steak belongs on a sandwich.

Bear with me here.

The only exception I like is thinly shaved ribeye, or something like that. I find big pieces of steak on a sandwich are too difficult to bite through, and you end up pulling an entire goddamn piece of steak off the sandwich while all the rest of the fillings fall all over your shirt. It'd have to be the most tenderiesty steak ever to be worth it, and in that case, it'd make sense to just eat the steak and forgo the bun (melt-in-your-mouth braised beef like chuck or something notwithstanding).

Anyone with me?

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

I get where you're coming from, but if the right cut is used you can avoid the chewing problem.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

I don't eat tough steak

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

The Midniter posted:

Anyone with me?

Have you ever had a hunter sandwich?

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

The Midniter posted:

Bear with me here.

The only exception I like is thinly shaved ribeye, or something like that. I find big pieces of steak on a sandwich are too difficult to bite through, and you end up pulling an entire goddamn piece of steak off the sandwich while all the rest of the fillings fall all over your shirt. It'd have to be the most tenderiesty steak ever to be worth it, and in that case, it'd make sense to just eat the steak and forgo the bun (melt-in-your-mouth braised beef like chuck or something notwithstanding).

Anyone with me?

You're complaining about tough steak in the sous vide thread. Why.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

baquerd posted:

Have you ever had a hunter sandwich?

Also known as a Shooter's Sandwich. A steak, preferably with garlic-sauteed mushrooms, shoved into a dug-out sourdough boule, topped with mustard, squashed flat and cut into wedges.

They're fantastic, but I think they're also an exception which proves his point: sandwich-steak needs special treatment, whether it's squashing or shaving.

e:

G-Prime posted:

without overthinking it

You're asking for a lot here.

Doc Hawkins fucked around with this message at 08:24 on Oct 31, 2015

G-Prime
Apr 30, 2003

Baby, when it's love,
if it's not rough it isn't fun.

Doc Hawkins posted:

They're fantastic, but I think they're also an exception which proves his point: sandwich-steak needs special treatment, whether it's squashing or shaving.

Or people could harden the gently caress up and enjoy delicious meat on bread without overthinking it. If you want to have a steak sandwich and have access to an immersion circulator, just cook it for an extra hour or so to facilitate protein breakdown. It'll be easier to bite through.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

I have tried to make sauce bearnaise sous vide a few times. The first time it worked perfectly and I started planning my future as a sauce lord, duke of eggs, baron of butter. The subsequent times have all failed, it won't emulsify and it's just a million small fragments of nicely cooked yolk floating in a sea of tarragon butter. So I thought I'd try something else. The tricky bit is controlling the temperature and my sous vide rig is a PID controller and a rice cooker. I can fill the rice cooker way up, set it to the right temperature for hollandaise emulsion, put a steel bowl on top and whisk it old school without worrying about it getting too hot and scrambling the eggs.

Has anyone tried something like this? What is the ideal temperature? And I am le tired of sauce bearnaise, I think I'll try one of the more obscure derivatives. Suggestions? It can match meat or fish, I haven't decided what to have it with yet.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Ola posted:

I have tried to make sauce bearnaise sous vide a few times. The first time it worked perfectly and I started planning my future as a sauce lord, duke of eggs, baron of butter. The subsequent times have all failed, it won't emulsify and it's just a million small fragments of nicely cooked yolk floating in a sea of tarragon butter. So I thought I'd try something else. The tricky bit is controlling the temperature and my sous vide rig is a PID controller and a rice cooker. I can fill the rice cooker way up, set it to the right temperature for hollandaise emulsion, put a steel bowl on top and whisk it old school without worrying about it getting too hot and scrambling the eggs.

Has anyone tried something like this? What is the ideal temperature? And I am le tired of sauce bearnaise, I think I'll try one of the more obscure derivatives. Suggestions? It can match meat or fish, I haven't decided what to have it with yet.

I think it still needs to be agitated to form the emulsion (tempering chocolate sous vide is problematic for similar reasons, you need to agitate the chocolate for proper crystal formation). So sous vide only gets you half way there. I swear by blender/stick blender bernaise. It's never let me down.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Yeah, I'd take the bag out of the water bath and smoosh it around the counter top. Perhaps I didn't do it enough the times I failed. Am going to do it old school with a steel whisk now anyway. I'd try the blender method, but our food processor is broken at the moment. Looks like the best temperature is just below 63 C, 145 F, so it would be handy to do some chicken or pork at the same time.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

I think it still needs to be agitated to form the emulsion (tempering chocolate sous vide is problematic for similar reasons, you need to agitate the chocolate for proper crystal formation). So sous vide only gets you half way there. I swear by blender/stick blender bernaise. It's never let me down.

If you're talking about the thing where you put the eggs in a glass, stick your stick blender in there, and agitate while you pour in hot melted butter, that has never, ever worked for me. It just doesn't thicken at all, I just wind up with buttery egg yolks.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Temperature controlled bain marie test run. (this is the setup I sous vide with, rice cooker + PID controller)

Works like a charm! Set the water to 60C, about an inch of the bowl is submerged. The sauce came together no problem with casual whipping and the egg mixture at around 40C, so it will be no problem to cook it while the meat is at 56C - which is incredibly practical compared to removing it, keeping it warm, increasing temp etc. Now I'm deliberately ignoring it to see at which temp it splits. Currently very happy at 47C, thick and lovely. (Note, salmonella is not a problem here and I happily eat raw eggs in mayo and aioli, so ymmv.)

While writing the post it has thickened more, just on the cusp of going custard now and a tiny bit of butter coming out of suspension. I can fold it with a spatula, but when tasting it it's perfectly creamy without any lumps. Also, the big stainless bowl is conducting away a lot of heat, the sauce doesn't seem to want to go above 47-48C. This is being deliberately careless at 60C so if I'm paying attention at 56C, it means I can now nail a bearnaise on the same thing the meat is cooking in. Accuracy and practicality to boot!

Ola posted:

...my future as a sauce lord, duke of eggs, baron of butter.

There's that feeling again!

e: it finally started splitting after posting, so you can definitely do an Icarus on this, but all in all a good concept.

Ola fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Nov 6, 2015

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!
I have a rack of pork back ribs and I am soliciting for rub, sauce, sous vide recommendations.

Veritek83
Jul 7, 2008

The Irish can't drink. What you always have to remember with the Irish is they get mean. Virtually every Irish I've known gets mean when he drinks.

Indolent Bastard posted:

I have a rack of pork back ribs and I am soliciting for rub, sauce, sous vide recommendations.

Tough to go wrong with Kenji's guide on SE- http://www.seriouseats.com/2015/09/the-food-lab-complete-guide-sous-vide-pork-ribs.html

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy
I have been on a shrimp at 170F kick lately. Thaw 'em, bag 'em with some salt and lime, drop in water, bring them to temp with the water bath. When the machine beeps they're done. Chill and eat. Stupid easy. I should probably start making my own cocktail sauce too, but for now, laziness.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I asked, you answered. I'll give a trip report later.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

Indolent Bastard posted:

I asked, you answered. I'll give a trip report later.

Just be aware that this cook is too long for ziploc bags, mine inevitably ended up breaking the seal and letting water slowly seep in.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

overdesigned posted:

I have been on a shrimp at 170F kick lately. Thaw 'em, bag 'em with some salt and lime, drop in water, bring them to temp with the water bath. When the machine beeps they're done. Chill and eat. Stupid easy. I should probably start making my own cocktail sauce too, but for now, laziness.

Lime juice or zest? Shell on or off?

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy
Lime juice, shell off, tail on. About 1tsp salt and half of a lime (or lemon) per pound of shrimp. I rinse 'em after cooking, this is probably optional depending on how much you like salt.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

overdesigned posted:

Lime juice, shell off, tail on. About 1tsp salt and half of a lime (or lemon) per pound of shrimp. I rinse 'em after cooking, this is probably optional depending on how much you like salt.

Cool, thanks. About how long does your bath take to get to 170F? I've got an Anova with about 16qt of water to heat.

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy

Subjunctive posted:

Cool, thanks. About how long does your bath take to get to 170F? I've got an Anova with about 16qt of water to heat.

20-30 minutes maybe, kinda depends on what random pot I have handy, whether I remembered to use hot tap water instead of cold, etc.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

overdesigned posted:

20-30 minutes maybe, kinda depends on what random pot I have handy, whether I remembered to use hot tap water instead of cold, etc.

OK, I'll give it a try, thanks. What could go wrong?

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy
If you leave 'em in there for six hours I bet they get mushy.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I prefer the term "spreadable".

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Now I want a shrimp spread on toast.

Whiskey Sours
Jan 25, 2014

Weather proof.
Would using pineapple juice instead of lime juice make them more spreadable?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Or lye.

(They were good.)

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Wow, I had a lot of hard water stains on my Anova that wouldn't come out, even with hard scrubbing with steel wool. Tried vinegar last night and the hard water stains practically disintegrated. I wish I had thought to try this earlier, my Anova has lots of scratches and scuffs on it from too much steel wool :saddowns:

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Vinegar works for EVERYTHING. They should chemtrail vinegar across the Middle-East and watch peace erupt.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Ola posted:

Vinegar works for EVERYTHING. They should chemtrail vinegar across the Middle-East and watch peace erupt.

Pickled ISIS

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I made the ribs. 148 for 24 hours. The meat was great, but the rub was way too salty. All in all 10/10 time & temp, 6/10 rub.

Totally Reasonable
Jan 8, 2008

aaag mirrors

i've got some bison filets defrosting in the fridge, where should i set them for medium?

also, i have one rear end in a top hat who wants their filet well done (i know, right?) should i just gently caress it up in the pan, or should i gently caress it up in a different SV rig?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

I'd guess bison cooks similar to beef. To do one well done label the bag and get it to well done in the bath, then turn the bath down to your medium temperature and do the other steaks to medium.