Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DeliciousPatriotism
May 26, 2008
I've been waiting for the whole "liberal media persecuting me" thing to blow up in his face but I didn't realize he's a big boy and can call a press conference whenever he wants to do it himself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

can you guys show me how "ILLEGALS" can get free healthcare, food and housing? Just need proof it's full of a poo poo so I can laugh even more at these morons.

Also can you guys show me where "MUSLIM IMMIGRANTS" get the same treatment? Some idiot caller claimed that 90 percent of Muslim immigrants are on benefits.

(funny because all of the muslims I've met in my life have all been doctors and live in nice suburbs.)

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

How disconnected from reality do you have to be to be this surprised at the amount of scrutiny you fall under when you run for president? Like- you're asking the American people to trust you with a military that can take on the entire world, a nuclear arsenal that can wipe out the entire world, etc and you're surprised that people ask you unfair questions?

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
Well, if and illegal immigrant goes to the emergency room, they don't leave them to bleed out. That, as far as I can tell, is the whole basis of the claim that the get healthcare.

And they will still consider that too much. After all, we honest taxpayers are on the hook for that.

As for which programs give the free computers and other lavish benefits... well, even if you don't know the program, it certainly seems like something liberals would want,doesn't it?

Dr Christmas fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Nov 7, 2015

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC

Necc0 posted:

How disconnected from reality do you have to be to be this surprised at the amount of scrutiny you fall under when you run for president? Like- you're asking the American people to trust you with a military that can take on the entire world, a nuclear arsenal that can wipe out the entire world, etc and you're surprised that people ask you unfair questions?

This is hilarious, but honestly, I wish this happened much later in the process. I don't like anything that puts Rubio closer to the nomination. That dude legit scares me.

beatlegs
Mar 11, 2001

ToastyPotato posted:

This is hilarious, but honestly, I wish this happened much later in the process. I don't like anything that puts Rubio closer to the nomination. That dude legit scares me.

He didn't have a very good day either.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O560vJreuxI

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

ToastyPotato posted:

No- I'm serious. Is this how deep this guy's Dunning-Kruger runs? This guy has gone his entire life never really paying attention to a single presidential campaign and realizing how loving dirty it can get? This motherfucker really saw a cabal of the world's most influential and powerful people taking out their daggers to fight for the throne, squinted his eyes, rubbed his chin and said, 'hey well I've operated on a brain how hard could it be ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ "

How far does your head have to be stuck up your own rear end to be surprised at any of this?

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake
Oh I'm sorry you think the questions are too hard? The mean guy with the thick-rimmed glasses isn't being fair? People are loving assassinated over this you pants-making GBS threads retard.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Necc0 posted:

No- I'm serious. Is this how deep this guy's Dunning-Kruger runs? This guy has gone his entire life never really paying attention to a single presidential campaign and realizing how loving dirty it can get? This motherfucker really saw a cabal of the world's most influential and powerful people taking out their daggers to fight for the throne, squinted his eyes, rubbed his chin and said, 'hey well I've operated on a brain how hard could it be ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ "

How far does your head have to be stuck up your own rear end to be surprised at any of this?

I think he's more upset that people are beginning to question his bullshit life story because it will hurt his book sales. He doesn't wanna be the next James Frey.

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake
But how didn't he know that his bullshit story would be scrutinized under an electron-microscope? How is this a surprise to him? Even if he was a charlatan like the rest he had to have known this was coming.

This isn't a few idiots making a biodrama starring Cuba Gooding Jr. for fjdaksflsafasdkjlgasdfvneuo

beatlegs
Mar 11, 2001

He's a miopic fundamentalist nutter.

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake
So we either have some 'Death of a Salesman' level of self-delusion going on or he had a Disney Channel made-for-TV-movie understanding of how the political process works. Those are the only two explanations that make sense to me.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

Necc0 posted:

But how didn't he know that his bullshit story would be scrutinized under an electron-microscope? How is this a surprise to him? Even if he was a charlatan like the rest he had to have known this was coming.

This isn't a few idiots making a biodrama starring Cuba Gooding Jr. for fjdaksflsafasdkjlgasdfvneuo

Aside from being completely self-unaware, my best theory is that he was taking the Huckabee trajectory. And due to the phenomenally lovely field of GOP candidates this cycle, his being a cipher was enough to overshoot that target of high-profile book sales.

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

OAquinas posted:

Aside from being completely self-unaware, my best theory is that he was taking the Huckabee trajectory. And due to the phenomenally lovely field of GOP candidates this cycle, his being a cipher was enough to overshoot that target of high-profile book sales.

I was sincerely joking when I first posted the 'The Producers' theory of Ben Carson's campaign but I'm really starting to think that's the case.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
I went to Buffalo Wild Wings once when it first opened here and I ordered a Killian's. On the bottle was a code to text in and you might win $75. I did that and won $75. I haven't been back since but if I won money every time I went I'd probably go a lot.

AmericanBarbarian
Nov 23, 2011

Necc0 posted:

I was sincerely joking when I first posted the 'The Producers' theory of Ben Carson's campaign but I'm really starting to think that's the case.

On talkingpointsmemo they talk about how the direct mailing fundraising companies are making bank. More candidates means more opportunities for hardworking American businesses to take donations to get more donations to get more donations to get more donations and, oh forgot to mention, take a cut off the top every time.

AmericanBarbarian
Nov 23, 2011

beatlegs posted:

He is incredibly better at explaining his credit card problems away than Carson is at explaining anything about his past.

Xanderkish
Aug 10, 2011

Hello!

Necc0 posted:

This is not meant to be insulting, but I have to say your avatar is really appropriate for you right now.

PUGGERNAUT
Nov 14, 2013

I AM INCREDIBLY BORING AND SHOULD STOP TALKING ABOUT FOOD IN THE POLITICS THREAD
It's gonna be weird if the fake scholarship story, of all things, is what brings down the Carson campaign. Not saying that the Holocaust would've stopped if only they had guns, not saying prison makes people gay, not his hypocritical use of fetal tissue research while criticizing Planned Parenthood for doing the same thing, but... just for making up a story for his autobiography. I don't get it.

GyroNinja
Nov 7, 2012

OAquinas posted:

I'm 90% sure that the same thing happened to Herman Cain and Newt Gingrinch last cycle. The moral of the story is that running a vanity campaign in the GOP is dangerous, since there's a disturbingly high chance that the electorate will take you seriously.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

AmericanBarbarian posted:

He is incredibly better at explaining his credit card problems away than Carson is at explaining anything about his past.

To frame it in a homework analogy:

Rubio has actually studied and done his homework well in advance; actually comes off as competent.
Jeb! never read the book and briefly glanced over the Cliff Notes; is thinking that he's pulling one over on everyone, doesn't realize that everyone knows that he's a gently caress up.
Carson showed up 5 minutes late smelling like Xanax; is angry that there are questions on the test and thinks that if there's a simple majority vote, the teacher is required to let everyone have class in the courtyard.

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Anyone else seeing some news article saying that Carson actually hasn't lied about West Point or anything? I've seen it shared on facebook by a bunch of older conservatives I know and just don't get how deep the delusion goes

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:

KomradeX posted:

Anyone else seeing some news article saying that Carson actually hasn't lied about West Point or anything? I've seen it shared on facebook by a bunch of older conservatives I know and just don't get how deep the delusion goes

The right wing media narrative that the liberal media was going to unfairly target Carson started weeks ago. So all of the Carson stuff from this week gets viewed through that lens, and their right wing media is never ever ever in a million years going to cover the poo poo the campaign itself said this week. So in that vacuum of actual information they immediately default to, "media said negative things about the evangelical man so therefore they must be wrong, and the evangelical man is trustworthy because he's evangelical and I like him."

Whoever said this week that, "somewhere a Sunday school teacher is in dire need of a change of panties over this pyramid stuff," is dead on the money.

Shalebridge Cradle
Apr 23, 2008

KomradeX posted:

http://www.politico.com/story/2015/11/ben-carson-denies-saying-full-scholarship-west-point-215616

This article is pretty definitive. It even links to a loving video of him saying he got offered a scholarship on Charlie Rose.

“I never said that I received a full scholarship. Nowhere did I say that,” Carson said. “POLITICO as you know, told a bold-faced lie.”

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6xRzFL0_TRo

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Looking real presidential there Ben.

beatlegs
Mar 11, 2001

Shalebridge Cradle posted:

http://www.politico.com/story/2015/11/ben-carson-denies-saying-full-scholarship-west-point-215616

This article is pretty definitive. It even links to a loving video of him saying he got offered a scholarship on Charlie Rose.

“I never said that I received a full scholarship. Nowhere did I say that,” Carson said. “POLITICO as you know, told a bold-faced lie.”

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6xRzFL0_TRo

I haven't seen that video played on any of the cable "news" networks today. You know, those places that employ journalists. Weird.

PUGGERNAUT
Nov 14, 2013

I AM INCREDIBLY BORING AND SHOULD STOP TALKING ABOUT FOOD IN THE POLITICS THREAD

beatlegs posted:

I haven't seen that video played on any of the cable "news" networks today. You know, those places that employ journalists. Weird.

You have to be "objective", you can't take sides, even if you have proof that someone's claim is an obvious fabrication. Journalists must be 100% impartial regardless of the ratio of truth/lies on each side of an argument.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

PUGGERNAUT posted:

It's gonna be weird if the fake scholarship story, of all things, is what brings down the Carson campaign. Not saying that the Holocaust would've stopped if only they had guns, not saying prison makes people gay, not his hypocritical use of fetal tissue research while criticizing Planned Parenthood for doing the same thing, but... just for making up a story for his autobiography. I don't get it.

I think having him actually directly lie for years about something goes a long ways. Him saying the Holocaust wouldn't have happened if people had guns is obviously false, but there is a lot of wiggle room in there for a defender of his. Also a lot of people believe things like that.

People mining Carson's past are turning up some simply amazing things, I can't wait for more to show up.

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

i grew up in an obscenely wealthy, almost all-asian part of silicon valley

believe me when i say that i know people who give credence to dylann roof's manifesto about how he thinks that "east asians are by nature very racist and would make good allies for the white race when RaHoWa comes". in november 2014, the republican candidate for state senate in my district was a taiwanese immigrant who came in his teens during the late 70s and who centered his campaign around scaremongering about how the potential return of affirmative action to california would mean that "your kid's rightful space at berkeley is going to go instead to some illiterate black untermensch from richmond!!!!" tl;dr quite a few of these shitlords are more than willing to make common cause with white supremacists to punch down at black and latino people

http://www.pasadenaweekly.com/cms/story/detail/a_giant_awakens/12902/

quote:

More than anything, Asian-American groups oppose the amendment because people believe it would allow their children to be denied admission to state universities in favor of other minority students who do not score as well on tests or earn the same high grades.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

beatlegs posted:

They were leaked by the Republican Party chairman who is supporting his opponents, because Rubio is the anti-establishment candidate, y'see.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

ToastyPotato posted:

we're still a functional entire calendar year away from the election, right now is still 'plenty of time'

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

Necc0 posted:

"I was born into a poor black family and became the world's greatest neurosurgeon, I think that means that anything George W. Bush can do, I can do in my sleep. Hell, I'll do just that: I'll become president, while sleeping."

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

KomradeX posted:

this is true, he technically did not lie about his acceptance to west point

it's the most tenuous of bullshit answers but it's true. carson never said he applied

what's hurting him now is that his candidacy is built on two pillars. 1. he's a brain surgeon and 2. he has a redemption narrative

1. is pretty untouchable, yes, he is a talented as gently caress brain surgeon. congrats, that poo poo is hard. brain surgeons deserve respect. but there are all kinds of crazy difficult jobs out there. i could be an expert airliner pilot, or database administrator, so what? none of those jobs translate into political leadership experience

2. is the traction that attempts to transmute 'excellent doctor' into 'excellent politician'. it can work. but in this case, it doesn't, because not only does carson fail to work it, but his personal narrative is falling apart under to be frank pretty mild scrutiny. if people outside of your base can't trust your bonafides then you're sunk, and that's why he's panicing

Acquilae
May 15, 2013

Necc0 posted:

It was like the GOP's "boycott" of NBC and their list of demands to be coddled from here on out. Even Megyn Kelly had one of her rare moments of sanity where she called them out on it.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
I am merely enjoying the disappearance of Gen. Westmoreland from his offer to West Point.

Any rational person, without knowing about all the other loving ridiculous claims he's made, would say, "If he's willing to lie about that, why should I believe anything about the rest of his story?"

Yes, I know, "rational person."

Add in all the other poo poo (The pyramids were granaries? Being POTUS is easier than brain surgery? ETC.) and he clearly needs to be quietly lured out back and put down.

Or is it better to let him keep this up and make the GOP look... you know?

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Necc0 posted:

he had a Disney Channel made-for-TV-movie understanding of how the political process works.

It feels more and more like that's how the right wing seems to operate in terms of their political beliefs as of late. It's just fantasy and delusion on a pretty grand scale.

It's completely unrealistic to be an Ayn Rand drone and parrot her philosophy in the year 2015 considering how complex, and large the US truly is. When one rants about how we should "ELIMINATE THE IRS! ELIMINATE THE EDUCATION DEPARTMENT!" you just kind of stare dumbly and realize how unrealistic those options are.

Sure those options sound great. Sure being able to send a postcard with your tax information sounds great, but it's just not really that realistic of an option for how a civilized country really operates.

I was listening to the radio and of all things the local "Hot talk" station brought up a good point about the "media". These are not "GOTCHA!" questions, these are things that every significant politician has been asked before we as the people are given the option to place them in a higher office.

Pat loving Robertson was a candidate for President in 1988. Would you have wanted that man to have not been asked tough questions along the way and just waltz right in with access to the button?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zJsgAEQAvis

Same can be said from every candidate ever. Be it Bernie Sanders or Mike Huckabee.

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!
I just don't get how arguing that you did in fact try to stab a reletive and attack your mother with a hammer makes you more presidential.

Iowa Snow King
Jan 5, 2008

MattD1zzl3 posted:

I just don't get how arguing that you did in fact try to stab a reletive and attack your mother with a hammer makes you more presidential.

It shows that the savage blackness of your 'hood upbringing can be soothed and mitigated by the civilizing nature of Evangelical Christianity, and your meritocratic humbling by "Real America" can make you "one of the good ones", what Rupert Murdoch would call a "real black".

Smoothrich
Nov 8, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

Iowa Snow King posted:

It shows that the savage blackness of your 'hood upbringing can be soothed and mitigated by the civilizing nature of Evangelical Christianity, and your meritocratic humbling by "Real America" can make you "one of the good ones", what Rupert Murdoch would call a "real black".

"Savage blackness?" Isn't that.. EXTREMELY racist?

also "real black" meant descended from slaves, not privileged wealthy immigrants like Obama

Smoothrich fucked around with this message at 11:35 on Nov 7, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iowa Snow King
Jan 5, 2008
I should think so, yes.