Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Fleve posted:

That'd work, I'd have to connect my outposts to the bot network I guess. Currently each outpost is a network on its own, connecting them all would be a lot of bot buildings, but if I just draw 'connecting lines' with roboports....that might be workable.
Depending on the geometry of your base you have to work this carefully, it took me ages to figure out why my bots were disappearing until I realized that sometimes they were trying to reach an outpost through a path not connected to the network and running out of energy midway. What I mean is imagine a cross shaped base, if the bots try to move from one arm to the other directly without going through the middle area they can fall before they get to their destination.

I solved it by having base/outpost networks connected by independent "corridor networks" and then using inserters at the ends to move the products between chests in different networks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

This is what meat is supposed to be like, dingus

MeLKoR posted:

Depending on the geometry of your base you have to work this carefully, it took me ages to figure out why my bots were disappearing until I realized that sometimes they were trying to reach an outpost through a path not connected to the network and running out of energy midway. What I mean is imagine a cross shaped base, if the bots try to move from one arm to the other directly without going through the middle area they can fall before they get to their destination.

I solved it by having base/outpost networks connected by independent "corridor networks" and then using inserters at the ends to move the products between chests in different networks.

I made "drone hubs" for this

a 3x3 field of drone hives placed anywhere drones tended to accumulate.

It uses ridiculous amounts of power though.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum

Little Abigail posted:

You do what you want, no set roles to it. It normally ends up either with everyone cooperating very well or a massive case of the right hand not knowing what the left's doing.

I had a game where both me and my bro split off the main bus and separately made blue science factories

e: "Alright, I got blue science comin' in now"
"But I'm-- oh :smith:"

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
I built a maintenance train and then put a "maintenance stop" in each of my remote bases. I was feeding my maintenance stops with walls, lasers, repair packs, and radar dishes. I'd use smart inserters to pull enough from the train to have I think 100 walls, 20 lasers, 5 radars, and 200 repair packs or something. Whenever I'd see that a remote base was missing repair packs or an item to rebuild, I'd send my maintenance train there manually. I have The Fat Controller mod so I can dispatch a train without having to physically go to it.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

concise posted:

The nice thing about Yuoki is that it doesn't change the base recipes at all. So far I've found it to be fairly gradual, in that it makes wherever I'm at in the vanilla tree better with some added production.

For instance:
To double the output of iron with existing furnaces you can replace the supply of iron ore with a supply of purified iron. To make purified iron, you wash ore in a "Washer" and get contaminated water as a byproduct. This additional tech is just a small intermediate step in series with the iron production chain and comes with a huge upside. Once you have liquid storage it's a no-brainer.

If you found the huge production chains required in Bobs Mods to be a little too insane, but are looking for something more I suggest giving Yuoki a try. If you hate it, it's easy to ignore and still play the base game without restarting your map.

I'm giving Yuoki a try and it's really poorly documented. I'm setting up washers for my ore lines; is there any way to get rid of the contaminated water or does it have to sit in storage forever?

concise
Aug 31, 2004

Ain't much to do
'round here.

Press it into contaminated dirt and toxic dust. The stacks of those can get huge so chests store a lot. After that you can process the dirt into green and blue dust, then unicomp. The toxic stuff can be made into sulfuric acid and probably other stuff.

I use the unicomp made from contaminated dirt to recharge the catalyst used to turn coal dust into oil.

Krataar
Sep 13, 2011

Drums in the deep

Are there any mods for permanent resource drains? Such as research that requires thousands of each beaker with exponential drains just to keep my factory hungry?

Telarra
Oct 9, 2012

With vanilla you do have the option of launching untold amounts of rockets, which covers everything but stone. For stone you could pave the world in concrete, or just make a lot of silos (10k stone each). But yeah, some kind of mod that just adds a huge endgame resource drain would be a welcome addition to any modpack.

Elth
Jul 28, 2011

Can biter bases spawn on concrete?

Fleve
Nov 5, 2011

Technically, biter bases shouldn't spawn within a certain radius of any man-made object. But I've just tested it with the console markers for potential biter locations, and after clearing out some existing biters and placing some concrete, the area is supposedly still viable for settlement.

If you want to 'civilize' an area, use electricity poles.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Fleve posted:

If you want to 'civilize' an area, use turrets.

pew pew!

Stick Insect
Oct 24, 2010

My enemies are many.

My equals are none.
New dev blog: http://www.factorio.com/blog/post/fff-111

quote:

I had also the Factorio presentation in the university for the third time already (third year), and I realized it is the third time I said there that Factorio will be finished in a year. I want to believe it to be true this time so we will try to really make it happen.

To try to make this happen they're not going to include the space platform in 1.0 :(

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

I'm disappointed about that, mainly because without it there's no real new content in the pipeline, just bugfixes and polish. What we have is what we'll get, at least for the next year, lacklustre endgame and all.

Stick Insect
Oct 24, 2010

My enemies are many.

My equals are none.
I really wouldn't mind some sort of endless sandbox mode, but with this game being what it is, I do need something to eat up all the things my factory produces. The space platform would've been great for that.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Stick Insect posted:

I really wouldn't mind some sort of endless sandbox mode, but with this game being what it is, I do need something to eat up all the things my factory produces. The space platform would've been great for that.

That's what I mean about endgame - once you've tapped out your research your factory consumption plummets. I'm totally happy building an ever-extending factory to meet an ever-growing demand but it needs to actually do that.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Tenebrais posted:

That's what I mean about endgame - once you've tapped out your research your factory consumption plummets. I'm totally happy building an ever-extending factory to meet an ever-growing demand but it needs to actually do that.

There are mods that add endless upgrades such as weapon damage with ever-increasing research costs.

At some point, I'd like to see a really deep military tech tree with the ability to do PvP. I always thought something like the WZ2100 tech tree would be suitably deep.

Apocadall
Mar 25, 2010

Aren't you the guitarist for the feed dogs?

KillHour posted:

There are mods that add endless upgrades such as weapon damage with ever-increasing research costs.

At some point, I'd like to see a really deep military tech tree with the ability to do PvP. I always thought something like the WZ2100 tech tree would be suitably deep.

WZ2100 was great, I should play it again sometime. Yes though there needs to be a better military system such as some way of commanding military drones without you being there. Or being able to launch satellites and nukes. I mean yeah we have these large factories and automated production systems with some drone uses but a lot of the military side of things isn't even close to what we do know from a commanders point of view.

I don't feel the player should need to be anywhere near the combat zone, that's a robots job, or a nukes.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Apocadall posted:

WZ2100 was great, I should play it again sometime. Yes though there needs to be a better military system such as some way of commanding military drones without you being there. Or being able to launch satellites and nukes. I mean yeah we have these large factories and automated production systems with some drone uses but a lot of the military side of things isn't even close to what we do know from a commanders point of view.

I don't feel the player should need to be anywhere near the combat zone, that's a robots job, or a nukes.

Absolutely agree. And the enemy needs to be much more powerful to compensate.

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

Not allowed to have nice things

Apocadall posted:

Yeah, but you'll have to get in there to disable their hand.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Slickdrac posted:

If you aren't going for the MCV first, you're doing it wrong.

Apocadall
Mar 25, 2010

Aren't you the guitarist for the feed dogs?

Slickdrac posted:

Actually just watched that movie last night. Still hilarious.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

Kinda dead around here waiting for 1.3 but today's blog showcases better rail building and it looks awesome.

Also, no more curved rails. Curved sections will just use up 4 straight rails.

https://www.factorio.com/blog/post/fff-113

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
Oh my god, rails won't suck anymore!

Krysmphoenix
Jul 29, 2010

Boogalo posted:

Kinda dead around here waiting for 1.3 but today's blog showcases better rail building and it looks awesome.

Also, no more curved rails. Curved sections will just use up 4 straight rails.

https://www.factorio.com/blog/post/fff-113

Good ol' A*. That poo poo's fast, and props to them for reusing nodes when the player moves the mouse.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
This is literally the thing that will get me to re-install for another couple of months and expand my megasave.

Distant ore expansions aren't going to be as huge of a PITA anymore! :swoon:

Voxx
Jul 28, 2009

I'll give 'em a hold
and a break to breathe
And if they can't play nice
I won't play with 'em at all

Krysmphoenix posted:

Good ol' A*. That poo poo's fast, and props to them for reusing nodes when the player moves the mouse.

Yeah it definitely is a smart solution for a nice and welcomed feature, rails ahoy! I still love this dev team for going in and showing some solution details to the problems they encounter.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

This is also going to add a big factor to the rail vs conveyors argument, as building rail will be much, much easier over long distances.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Finally, trains will be fun!

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

LLSix posted:

Finally, trains will be fun!

They still need to add the ability to lay down two parallel rails at the same time though.

Caconym
Feb 12, 2013

Apocadall posted:

Holy loving poo poo, WZ2100 is open source and has been since 2004. :aaa:

See you in 3 weeks, bombarding poo poo with a battery of 25 rotary howitzers.

Rotary. Howitzers. :black101:

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Caconym posted:

Holy loving poo poo, WZ2100 is open source and has been since 2004. :aaa:

See you in 3 weeks, bombarding poo poo with a battery of 25 rotary howitzers.

Rotary. Howitzers. :black101:

If you're not rushing down the indirect fire tree and filling your base with those, you're playing it wrong.

Edit: Ripple rockets, too.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

Another week, another good update on trains.

New rail building example without bots

Some UI changes, and more logic conditions for train stations.

Time passed - The only available in 0.12
Inventory full
Inventory empty
In-activity - No items were added or removed for specified amount of seconds.
Item count - specific condition can be set, like train contains more than 30 iron plates etc.
Circuit condition - The train stop will be connectable to the circuit network, so the condition can use it.

and the blog: http://www.factorio.com/blog/post/fff-114

Krysmphoenix
Jul 29, 2010

Finally! :worship:

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
So happy for the rail drawing. Making curves were an incredibly tedious affair and I never progressed heavily into blueprinting.

The Evil Thing
Jul 3, 2010
One step closer to Open TTD. :v:

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
Don't care about trains, have never cared about trains.

Kibbles n Shits
Apr 8, 2006

burgerpug.png

Fun Shoe

Bhodi posted:

Don't care about trains, have never cared about trains.

I would totally use trains but I am a giant baby who plays on peaceful mode with abundant resource deposits so I've never really needed them for any practical reason.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

Trains are best in multiplayer where i get frequent notifications that my coop partner has been run over while working on the rail network.

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

Boogalo posted:

Trains are best in multiplayer where i get frequent notifications that my coop partner has been run over while working on the rail network.

I am extremely thankful that smashing a car into a concrete barrier at full speed doesn't really hurt me, the car or the barrier in a meaningful fashion, and that robots inside me automatically repair such idiocy. I even tried putting lights on em but at a zoom level where I can still see/avoid trees it's easy to miss upcoming walls. They really need a third tier of vehicle that's some kind of hovertank or something so I can at least zip around blasting aliens as needed without giving a gently caress about trees or my own walls.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

The first time you "get" trains, especially with routing and signaling, is so immensely satisfying. My current base has a single depot for coal, iron, copper, oil (using the oil tanker mod), and stone, with a single line in/out and no deadlocks (although the occasional queue happens). Hooking up a new deposit is as simple as plopping a station blueprint, dropping an intersection on my main line, and connecting the two with rails/power. The personal roboport makes this incredibly easy, as well.