Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

was expecting the curb stomp from american history x

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alarumklok
Jun 30, 2012

I just went to a NAMBLA convention to talk about fire safety, why is everyone getting mad at me

DOMDOM
Apr 28, 2007

Fun Shoe
hi i think black people are genetically inferior stock and white people need guns to keep these savages away from all of our cool stuff, want to come on my podcast and talk about games?

ps - no girls allowed

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

alarumklok posted:

I just went to a NAMBLA convention to talk about fire safety, why is everyone getting mad at me

lol

ryde
Sep 9, 2011

God I love young girls

Romes128 posted:

you're being incredibly sensitive about this

On one hand he's trying super-hard to make sure that avatar-buyer knows that his poo poo was stupid and that he's only changing it back because "its boring." On the other hand, goons can be overly-credulous morons and having that avatar would be a hassle.

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

:godwinning::godwinning:

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

randomcommoner posted:

Would you do a feature for stormfront if they invited you to derek? Where do you draw the line on "terrible people I shouldn't associate with even if they share the same viewpoint on a stupid little issue"?

No I won't because it has NOTHING to do with GAMING. Vox Day (it's a pseudonym btw) is a notable game designer who has also written (1, 2) about this Star Citizen issue. And he goes way back to the roots of the industry. Big difference.

D_Smart fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Nov 7, 2015

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

alarumklok posted:

oh, hows seraph doing?

neonbregna
Aug 20, 2007

Eonwe posted:

i honestly just didn't think it was a funny burn, it didn't upset me or anything

Keep on posting about how your totally not upset about being outed as a racist.

skit herre
Mar 24, 2015

Don't do drugs, kids.
Lipstick Apathy
The guy making my Döner agrees, you shouldn't associate with loving Neo-Nazis.

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx
just think of the message Internet Celebrity Derek Smart will be giving to the Average American by attending this webcast!!

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

D_Smart posted:

There are no "page hits". It's a live webinar. And it's not recorded for posting anywhere, since that's not how those work. So if you don't attend, you won't know what's being said. :(

I had the SAME backlash when I agreed to do SPJAirplay (my blog coverage). And guess what, BOTH sides in the end agreed that I was probably the best thing that happened there. I know my thing. Let me do it.

The best thing at SPJ Airplay is a very, very low bar. That was a laughingstock shitshow and everyone involved should be deeply embarrassed, you included.

Gerbil_Pen
Apr 6, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

Libluini posted:

What gets me every time I hear about another mentally ill person spending all their money on JPGs is the sheer amorality of Chris Robert's scheme. Why does nobody there go "Sorry, but we heared you'll get evicted and lose your wife and children over maxing ten credit cards for us, that's creeping us out. Here's your money back and uhh please give us a bit less if you consider backing us again." Why the hell are they just sucking down the money and feeling great about it? Are Chris and his cohorts secretly servants of Mammon, one of the seven princes of hell?

Do you business?

Good Dumplings
Mar 30, 2011

Excuse my worthless shitposting because all I can ever hope to accomplish in life is to rot away the braincells of strangers on the internet with my irredeemable brainworms.

D_Smart posted:

No I won't because it has NOTHING to do with GAMING. Vox Day (it's a pseudonym btw) is a notable game design and goes way back to the roots of the industry. Big difference.

So is Chris Roberts, you don't see me giving him the time of day.

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene

D_Smart posted:

Vox Day (it's a pseudonym btw)

:eyepop:

alarumklok
Jun 30, 2012

Romes128 posted:

oh, hows seraph doing?

:drat:

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

ryde posted:

On one hand he's trying super-hard to make sure that avatar-buyer knows that his poo poo was stupid and that he's only changing it back because "its boring." On the other hand, goons can be overly-credulous morons and having that avatar would be a hassle.

ive never cared what goons think and i've bought less offensive avatars back for being boring

Example this one:

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

Derek you are becoming the Dave Chappelle character in this video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u__W0Qa8v0k

RuckusRouser
Sep 28, 2015

Theres a lot of close ups of landing gear

D_Smart posted:

No I won't because it has NOTHING to do with GAMING. Vox Day (it's a pseudonym btw) is a notable game design and goes way back to the roots of the industry. Big difference.

This is a list of games he has designed:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vox_Day#Video_games

Derek, why is your bar for "notable game designer" so low?

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

D_Smart posted:

you can't make that kind of disassociation when it comes to someone

"yeah, he might be a racist who hates everyone but whites, but hes a cool game dude"

doesn't work my friend. everyone will laugh at you, sc cultists will have ammo to tell the world you are dumb and not to take you seriously, and you'll get run off this forum. again.

but do you boo boo. do you.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
like I was shitposting about how dumb this game was when goons were still on board the buy fake jpegs bandwagon

Darkpriest667
Feb 2, 2015

I'm sorry I impugned
your cocksmanship.

3 posted:

derek, we probably can't change your mind about going on this literal no-joke nazi's interview, but at the very least please spend the duration of the interview calmly pointing out that you are an immensely successful person of color in the industry and see how he reacts.

3 and I don't like each other or agree on many things, but 3 is right. Derek, you should not fail to mention repeatedly how you are a successful black man. A successful black game developer. This piece of poo poo needs to hear it.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

D_Smart posted:

You guys are killing me here. So I'm supposed to ask for permission now to go have a chat with someone?
You don't need to ask anybody. Least of all me.

I know there's a lot of people telling you not to do the interview for various reasons but you're a Smart guy and should do whatever you're comfortable with. If goons (or others) don't want to listen to Vox as a matter of conscience, good for them.

My opinion, for what little it is worth, is that if you want to make absolutely sure Derek Smart will do something, tell him "DO NOT DO THIS, DEREK!"

There's obviously something pretty absurd about a bunch of presumably white guys expressly telling you not to go do the interview with a guy because he's got inflammatory opinions on race. I personally appreciate the little mentioned fact that you never make anything about race-- and you seem to have steered clear of making too much note of the allegations of racism at CIG, though you'd be in a better position to do it than nearly anyone in the industry. Heaven knows if you were a Social Justice Warrior we'd never hear the end of that particularly toxic allegation. You generally tend to focus on issues of honesty, qualification, mismanagement, criminality- the stuff that speaks to a person's competence and character- and CIG needs more people doing that. Sadly. If you happen to do it with hyperbole, bluster, endless repetition, self-congratulation and mustache twirling, well, that makes it much funnier for us and makes doing photoshops like this all the more worthwhile.

So if you want to do the show, you should do it. Only Nixon could go to China, after all. There may be all kinds of fallout from it- simply by virtue of you sharing a stage with someone that controversial, but you know that, and you're no stranger to controversy yourself. Confounding expectations and pissing off people is kind of your specialty. (That and attacking coke machines, right? :-p)

So do what you feel is right, man.

G0RF fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Nov 7, 2015

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

alarumklok posted:

I love this thread so much.

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

Where angels and generals fear to tread.
here's a fun 'lil image i found that illustrates the plight of both CIG and DS atm

:gary:

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Eonwe posted:

like I was shitposting about how dumb this game was when goons were still on board the buy fake jpegs bandwagon

I pledged in 2013 just so I could start every shitpost with "Hey guys, I'm a backer too, but..."

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."
I have to say, Derek Smart, engaging you in a conversation is an amazing experience.

I'll eagerly await the youtube video of your talk with this neo-nazi, so long as it's not on his channel of course since I don't want to give him even the slightest bit of ad money or statistic that contributes in his favor. So rest assured, I will hear everything that you'll discuss.

And I have a feeling that after that, I'm going to alternatively cringe and laugh myself to death.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

Reclaimer posted:

Counterpoint: Ditching Shep is a pretty smart move.

Chris Roberts is leading the way by eliminating the player from the game.

Eonwe posted:

At the time I was confused about the spreadsheet with the funding amount or ships. Usually it's other people in games making lists of goons.

2fat4sex
Apr 18, 2005

RuckusRouser posted:

This is a list of games he has designed:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vox_Day#Video_games

Derek, why is your bar for "notable game designer" so low?

Vox Day's Wikipedia Article posted:

Similarly, an article by Jeet Heer in The New Republic says that Day "has written that women should be deprived of the vote and refers to African Americans as 'half-savages'",[41] referring to Day's own article "Why women's rights are wrong"[42] and his conflict with the SFWA

fukken lol

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
http://www.amazon.com/SJWs-Always-Lie-Taking-Thought-ebook/dp/B014GMBUR4

alarumklok
Jun 30, 2012

I'm a well-rounded follower of Hitler. Besides curbstomping half-savages, I enjoy knitting and making video games. Come visit my blog at

DOMDOM
Apr 28, 2007

Fun Shoe

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene

Reclaimer
Sep 3, 2011

Pierced through the heart
but never killed

Devian666 posted:

Chris Roberts is leading the way by eliminating the player from the game.

At the time I was confused about the spreadsheet with the funding amount or ships. Usually it's other people in games making lists of goons.

Eh there'll be some new Space Barbie protagonist named Captain Kickass or something but at least they're letting that one sleeping dog lie.

skit herre
Mar 24, 2015

Don't do drugs, kids.
Lipstick Apathy

RuckusRouser
Sep 28, 2015

Theres a lot of close ups of landing gear

Can we just all post the thoughts that will go through Vox Day's mind while he interviews Derek?

I will start:
"Maybe this guy is only half-savage, his skin is quite light in tone. That would explain him owning multiple houses"

alarumklok
Jun 30, 2012

great, now I have to edit my history so I don't get recommended Mein Kampf for the next 3 months

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

D_Smart posted:

Oh yeah, because every politician that goes on Fox News, is a loving moron. Got it.

Vox Day is not Fox News, it doesn't take a SJW to realize that. Dude goes way beyond the poo poo nazis advocated for but hey it's no skin off my nose, I just came here to laugh at poo poo.

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe
its pretty obvious derek is being set up to get embarrassed live on the internet

and it'll be hilarious

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

This is the point where everyone starts pissing in the well

• Locked thread