Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Fantastic looking innovation for sleeping pads. drat.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jv9Gghy6Lj4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

IGNORE ME! I'M JUST AN OLD WET RAG

bunnielab posted:

You guys with your 2.5 pound cameras make me feel better about my fishing crap.

Tenkara rod(s) and minimal kit work for me in the Rockies.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?

Bottom Liner posted:

That looks a lot better than their first version, definitely less bulky. My buddy had the first version but I haven't heard anything from him since he bought it. The science is really cool.

dms666
Oct 17, 2005

It's Playoff Beard Time! Go Pens!
My girlfriend and I did the Four Pass Loop Trail near Aspen in mid-September. It passes through 4 12,500ft passes and four mountain lakes and is 26 miles long. It was probably the most beautiful hike I've ever been on. The trip took 3 days/2 nights, but it was definitely worth it. We passed a few people running it who did the entire thing in 6-8 hours which is pretty crazy.

Maroon Bells

West Maroon Pass

Frigid Air Pass

Trail Rider Pass with a view of Snowmass Lake

Snowmass Lake

Buckskin Pass

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Wow, that looks amazing. Thank you for posting pictures.

Joose Caboose
Apr 17, 2013
I'm heading to Death Valley NP for a few days (Saturday-Tuesday) in Mid-November for the first time and don't know too much about the hikes there. Anyone have any good recommendations? I'll be camping at Furnace Creek Campground the first two nights so that will be my home base to start. Haven't booked a site yet for my 3rd and final night so am open to checking out another campground if it gives me a good base for an interesting hike at end of trip.

Hungryjack
May 9, 2003

Joose Caboose posted:

I'm heading to Death Valley NP for a few days (Saturday-Tuesday) in Mid-November for the first time and don't know too much about the hikes there. Anyone have any good recommendations? I'll be camping at Furnace Creek Campground the first two nights so that will be my home base to start. Haven't booked a site yet for my 3rd and final night so am open to checking out another campground if it gives me a good base for an interesting hike at end of trip.

DVNP has a lot of side hikes, but I'm not really familiar with much along the way of true backpacking. You could work your way west from Furnace Creek (after seeing Badwater basin of course) toward Lone Pine and end your trip around Whitney. Plenty of good hiking there. Plus, Lone Pine is just a really nice little town.

Looks like their website has some suggested hikes: http://www.nps.gov/deva/planyourvisit/hiking.htm

Jenny of Oldstones
Jul 24, 2002

Queen of dragonflies

dms666 posted:

My girlfriend and I did the Four Pass Loop Trail near Aspen in mid-September. It passes through 4 12,500ft passes and four mountain lakes and is 26 miles long. It was probably the most beautiful hike I've ever been on. The trip took 3 days/2 nights, but it was definitely worth it. We passed a few people running it who did the entire thing in 6-8 hours which is pretty crazy.

Beautiful photos! I'm reminded of the difference of the mountain areas compared to the coast and how dry some of those western regions seem comparably.

Braincloud
Sep 28, 2004

I forgot...how BIG...

Bottom Liner posted:

That's pretty sweet, but it weighs almost 2lbs!

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
I can inflate pretty much any inflatable pad in seconds as well, I don't really see what the big deal is :shrug:

Sure it takes several breaths to do and that system looks easier but it is also kind of solving a problem that doesn't realllllly exist, at least to me

Hungryjack
May 9, 2003

Levitate posted:

I can inflate pretty much any inflatable pad in seconds as well, I don't really see what the big deal is :shrug:

Sure it takes several breaths to do and that system looks easier but it is also kind of solving a problem that doesn't realllllly exist, at least to me

It's cool tech. Give it a few generations and it'll probably be what we're really after.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

Its cool, and its weight is super acceptable for being 4 inches (!!) thick, but it's only 20 wide and not terribly long. There are similar devices for filling inflatable pads, but they're reasonably fiddly/fragile.

That said, it still gets whooped by a Neoair and a pumpsack (even a neoair large, which is the coveted 25" width) which is probably still more comfortable and weighs way less.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer
Ok, it is sleeping bag time. Tell me how hosed/how much money I am gonna have to spend:

1) I camp in a hammock
2) I sleep on my side in said hammock when I can
3) I toss and turn a lot through the night
4) I get up to pee a lot throughout the night
5) My pack is already lol heavy

I am looking for a bag/pad that will be comfortable in a hammock down to around 30-25f. I usually sleep super hot but was very chilly this summer with no bag and like low/mid 60's on mornings this summer. I assume it is the hammock causing that. I don't mind spending money but I am hard as hell on gear and need somewhere that will do repairs for me when I gently caress something up.

Looking for any ideas on what would work best for me. I am not opposed to an underquilt but I cannot bear much more weight and bulk. I would love a bag I can use up in to the 50's so I perfer a quilt type thing or that crazy SD "bed" style bag.

Thanks!

dedian
Sep 2, 2011
Using a pad in a hammock is super annoying (at least the one I have, shoulder width old school thermarest). I got a 20 degree Enlightened Equipment 3/4 length underquilt (800FP down), weighs 19.1 oz. It's probably a bit too warm for above 50-55, but you could also vent it a little. (For reference I got a 30deg top quilt at the same time, which is 20oz, this combo is super warm). Of course it wasn't that cheap; you can DIY some solutions from sleeping bags, hammockforums is your best bet for ideas.

The general suggestion is to get an underquilt to the minimum temp you want to be out in; you don't change your bed's mattress during the warm months, you just change what's covering you.

I guess a pad would be more flexible if you ever had to go to ground... though last time I tried using a pad in the hammock I spent half the night getting back on the thing or adjusting it. If you're moving around much at all you're going to have to get back on the pad. There's other options for fill.. synthetic if you're in really humid/wet areas. With a 3/4 length you save a bit of weight and cost, and just need something for your heels to rest on (reflectix, sit pad) to insulate from cold. I think a lot of the makers are around the same price, but haven't looked lately.

If you had nothing under you in a hammock (pad or quilt) in anything under.. 70, you're going to get cold, it's the same reason you don't sleep right on the ground.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland
good gear story, I have an Arc'Teryx soft shell Epsilon SV jacket that is maybe 8 years old. Parts of the bonded seams in several places came delaminated along the hood collar and inside of the cuffs of the sleeves so I sent it in for repairs last year. The repaired seams only last a few months before they came delaminated again. I put off doing anything about it until last week when one of the pockets actually blew out and my phone dropped out of it. I'm going on a trip to Ireland in 2 weeks and need a soft shell for the trip so I submitted a warranty request through their site and then called to ask them if there was a way to expedite it. They had me email some photos directly to them and the next morning they said it had been approved for replacement and they'd get me a new one in the mail as soon as possible.

Pretty great customer service, glad the dead bird lives up to it's reputation. They did ask me to destroy the jacket I had and send them photos so they could expedite the shipping and I ended up asking them if I could just drop it at the arc'teryx brick and mortar here in town so they can donate it. They said that works great. Cool cool.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Yeah the bird is p great about standing behind their product. I rarely end up destroying their gear, it's solid enough that I donate most stuff when I upgrade following great leaps in tech.

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002
I was wondering if this was more appropriate for the Skiing thread but think that, in this case, Hiking & Backpacking is likely better. I need some gear list advice.

I'm planning my gear for winter trips (either Ski Touring or Snowshoeing). Last year I had an overpacking problem that ended a trip, so this year, careful planning.

Some points to consider:

• I intend to sleep in huts - so shelter is only for unexpected/urgent situations - some other discussions are saying to just take an emergency bivy or a bothy sack
  • I'm trying to stick to a 28L pack - perhaps volume will be a concern
  • This list is a hypothetical "One person carries everything" load out.
  • Avalanche Safety gear (Shovel, Probe, Beacon) is included

The list is here

Thoughts?

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
I'd be impressed if you can fit all of that into a 28L pack.

Edit: you don't need a pad for yurts (usually).

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002
Wondering if an REI Flash 45 might be in my future? http://www.rei.com/product/862884/rei-flash-45-pack

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

Do you know if you need to bring a sleeping bag to the yurts? That will free up a ton of room.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

n8r posted:

Do you know if you need to bring a sleeping bag to the yurts? That will free up a ton of room.
The bag is part of your emergency shelter system when you're ski touring?

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

Generally speaking, people do not carry sleeping bags when ski touring. The most I've seen people do is stuff like space blankets.

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002

n8r posted:

Generally speaking, people do not carry sleeping bags when ski touring. The most I've seen people do is stuff like space blankets.

For overnight stays all huts I've seen, a sleeping bag is required. Certainly for all the huts I'll go to.

For one day touring, there are other urgent shelter/unexpected night options.

blista compact
Mar 12, 2006
whats a fyad :(

Heners_UK posted:

Wondering if an REI Flash 45 might be in my future? http://www.rei.com/product/862884/rei-flash-45-pack

So I used this bag for about 1500 miles last year on the PCT, well 2 of them. This bag doesn't have a traditional frame in the back, only the two support poles on the side. This does make it very comfortable and it moves with you as they advertise, but you really can't load it with more than about 25lbs of stuff without it buckling in the back. I ended up folding the framesheet over in both of the packs after about 500 miles and they lost a lot of ability to hold weight on my hips.

Ended up replacing it with an Osprey Exos 38 which is a much better pack in every way for the same amount of weight.

All that being said, 60 bucks is a rippin deal on the pack and as long as you keep the weight down it will work great.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Heners_UK posted:

For overnight stays all huts I've seen, a sleeping bag is required. Certainly for all the huts I'll go to.

This has been my experience so I was curious.

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

If I were human, I believe my response would be: 'go to hell'.
Planning an overnight trip next weekend but my backpack is torn to shreds from my trip to New Mexico years ago. What are some good medium- size packs I should look into? Hear a lot of good things about Osprey brand stuff.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

You can't go wrong with Osprey for an ultra durable and endlessly warranty repair/replacement backpack. I slid down a crappy PA mountain years ago on my Aether 70 and tore it basically in half and Osprey sent me a new one. If they could have fixed it instead, they would have.

There isn't really any dud in the lineup, so just pick something the size you want and go for it. The Atmos 50 is probably about right.

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

If I were human, I believe my response would be: 'go to hell'.

Hypnolobster posted:

You can't go wrong with Osprey for an ultra durable and endlessly warranty repair/replacement backpack. I slid down a crappy PA mountain years ago on my Aether 70 and tore it basically in half and Osprey sent me a new one. If they could have fixed it instead, they would have.

There isn't really any dud in the lineup, so just pick something the size you want and go for it. The Atmos 50 is probably about right.

That is a helluva glowing recommendation.

Might check out the Atmos 65 just because is like to maybe do some longer treks in the future and I couldn't justify buying multiple hiking packs to my girlfriend. I could rationalize it internally, but they expensive.

Can the Atmos be custom fitted like the aethers and ariels?

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

Heners_UK posted:

Ah - I've seen some places do sleeping bag liners. Most of the huts (yurts here) transport you into the place. Not a great hut/yurt system in the PNW at all.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

Crazyeyes posted:

That is a helluva glowing recommendation.

Might check out the Atmos 65 just because is like to maybe do some longer treks in the future and I couldn't justify buying multiple hiking packs to my girlfriend. I could rationalize it internally, but they expensive.

Can the Atmos be custom fitted like the aethers and ariels?

The custom fit of the Aether isn't really necessary to do. At least with the older version I'm familiar with, it's a heat molded hip belt that just slightly changes it shape (I had my first pack fit, but the replacement wasn't. Didn't really notice a difference).

The new version of the Atmos looks like it has a highly adjustable hip belt instead of the Aether style design.

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002

n8r posted:

Ah - I've seen some places do sleeping bag liners. Most of the huts (yurts here) transport you into the place. Not a great hut/yurt system in the PNW at all.

Nah, we're getting there under our own power.

Example huts:
* http://www.ubc-voc.com/wiki/Diamond_Head_and_the_Elfin_Lakes_Shelter
* http://www.ubc-voc.com/wiki/Brew_Hut
* http://www.keithshut.ca/ (alternatively http://www.ubc-voc.com/wiki/Keith's_Hut)
* https://www.alpineclubofcanada.ca/huts/wendy-thompson-hut/ (alternatively http://www.ubc-voc.com/wiki/Wendy_Thompson_Hut)

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

Yah BC has a pretty great hut system. Given the way that these sorts of structures are regulated in the states, most places on public land are restricted to yurts - unless you do a lot of paperwork. I've been to a number of yurts here in the states, and they all do gear hauls. I love me a good yurt trip, but without the comforts of large quantities of beer, I'm not sure how much I'd enjoy it.

Spime Wrangler
Feb 23, 2003

Because we can.

The answer is to budget your packweight to have room for liquor.

Hungryjack
May 9, 2003

Pot has a much better weight:effect ratio

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Hungryjack posted:

Pot has a much better weight:effect ratio

Sure, but what about heroin?

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer
Again, they call that poo poo Bolivian Marching Powder for a reason.

I never really liked coke, but the idea of taking a bullet bumper along on a hike seems like a fun idea. Not a good idea but a fun idea.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Powdered Beer is a thing
I usually take some whiskey in a platypus though.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

eSporks posted:

Powdered Beer is a thing
I usually take some whiskey in a platypus though.

I've got a little 4 oz soft side platypus type flask that I keep intending to bring on a a short trip at least. Liquor definelty seems to be the sweet spot to me in terms of inebriation vs weight

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

I bring vodka in these http://amzn.com/B000XYMYRU dump it in one of my half full water bottles with some Mio, which I always have anyways for the purposes of my necessary consistent caffeine consumption.

I can't drink whiskey without chasing it with beer. It's like concentrated heartburn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Do caffeine supplements improve hiking performance for someone who's not a regular caffeine drinker? Usually all I have is an occasional diet soda.