Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx
I can't wait to see some polling data on what various demographics think about this spaceship videogame webcast. Should Derek Smart be using such an influential position to support bigotry????

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MyPants
Jan 20, 2009

D_Smart posted:

No I won't because it has NOTHING to do with GAMING. Vox Day (it's a pseudonym btw) is a notable game design who has also written [snip] about this Star Citizne issue. And he goes way back to the roots of the industry. Big difference.

I had no idea he was a notable game designer. That makes this 100% cool in my book. I mean, so what if in his off hours he likes to talk about how I'm human garbage? According to you, he presents his viewpoints in a reasonable way. That's all that should matter, right?

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

Romes128 posted:

its pretty obvious derek is being set up to get embarrassed live on the internet

and it'll be hilarious
I think at this point we've all learned there is no way to embarrass Derek Smart. You can please him, annoy him, or outrage him- but you can not embarrass him. It's like his SuperPower.

Reclaimer
Sep 3, 2011

Pierced through the heart
but never killed

MyPants posted:

I had no idea he was a notable game designer. That makes this 100% cool in my book. I mean, so what if in his off hours he likes to talk about how I'm human garbage? According to you, he presents his viewpoints in a reasonable way. That's all that should matter, right?

Yeah I mean he made Hot Dish *checks calendar* only eight years ago, so who cares what he's done in the mere interim before his next masterpiece.

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

G0RF posted:

I think at this point we've all learned there is no way to embarrass Derek Smart. You can please him, annoy him, or outrage him- but you can not embarrass him. It's like his SuperPower.

It's kinda hard to be embarrassed, when you're so self-absorbed that you believe you are all that truly matters on this planet.

This is also exactly why I am :allears: about this interview with a loving racist!

CrazyLoon fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Nov 7, 2015

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe
even reddit is agreeing with us that its a bad idea to associate yourself with vd. lol.

https://www.reddit.com/r/DerekSmart/comments/3rwwoq/brainstorm_with_derek_smart_discussion_with_vox/

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,
Derek can you link to a tweet about how it's cool to have a fireside chat about scams with a Neo-Nazi cause I don't even

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

ElvUI super fan at your service!

Ask me any and all questions about UI customization via PM
So I skipped over about 1800 posts, what have I missed?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

Shadowlyger posted:

derek is being not so smart

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

Shadowlyger posted:

Derek Smart endorses literal neo nazis.

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe
someone who has signed up for the webinar please record it and repost so we can all watch without having to sign up for racist propaganda poo poo. tia.

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

IT WOULD NOT BE DIFFICULT MEIN FUHRER!

Shadowlyger posted:

Derek's gonna talk about poo poo no one gives a gently caress about with some nazi dude or some poo poo so goons are freaking out as if derek actually gives a gently caress that the dude is a nazi.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

D_Smart posted:

I disagree. And it's HIS platform. I got invited.

Well then just answer by e-mailing him a picture of that cartoon girl who makes a kissy face while giving double middlefingers. Not answering would be rude, after all.

Actually going sounds like a bad idea though don't do that.

my girlfriend is Legos
Apr 24, 2013
EDIT: Don't mind me, I wasn't paying attention

Raskolnikov
Nov 25, 2003

A Neurotic Jew posted:

That's him in the SS uniform.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

How do I become cell shaded irl?

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx

botany posted:

Derek Smart endorses literal neo nazis.

you're posting in a thread made by derek smart right now, and derek smart endorses neonazis. That is extremely troubling.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

A Neurotic Jew posted:

That's him in the SS uniform.

:iiapa:

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

D_Smart clearly has genetically inferior reasoning skills.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

Shadowlyger posted:

Not much.

The most exciting things in the last 1800 post is:

1) CIG Investor Bootcha is recording his final goodbye song, with Goon contributing vocals.

2) Beer4theBeerGod is considering brewing a high ABV beer called "Bitter Tears", for us to drink as they watch the continuing implosion of CIG over next year.

3) Darth Alyssa showed up in the last "Reverse the Verse" episode and got the high hat treatment from CIG staff, to her annoyance.

4) Seraph returned and did his Seraph thing.

5) CIG showed a sneak peek in the latest Around The Verse which regurgitated footage from the Imagine trailer. (Oh, and they showed their massive new office digs in LA, including a Motion Capture studio, which means they have done motion capture at least 4 times for a game people still mostly can't play.)

6) Derek Smart is going to do an interview with the notorious Vox, to the consternation and disbelief of all.

I'm sure I missed some things but that's at least a highlight reel.

George Rouncewell
Jul 20, 2007

You think that's illegal? Heh, watch this.

Decrepus posted:

D_Smart clearly has genetically inferior reasoning skills.

Adult onset down's syndrome brought by excessive internet spaceship exposure

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Darkpriest667 posted:

quote:

3 posted:
derek, we probably can't change your mind about going on this literal no-joke nazi's interview, but at the very least please spend the duration of the interview calmly pointing out that you are an immensely successful person of color in the industry and see how he reacts.

3 and I don't like each other or agree on many things, but 3 is right. Derek, you should not fail to mention repeatedly how you are a successful black man. A successful black game developer. This piece of poo poo needs to hear it.

Well, if you guys are boycotting it, what does it matter? :(

ps: I'm really sad that you guys are looking at this from such a skewed perspective. I'm going to attend. It will be fine. And I'm NOT going to use it as a platform for anything other than to talk about my success, failures - and my Star Citizen involvement.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

I missed a few pages it seems, is Derek doing an interview with Doobie or something?

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
i think you can do whatever you want, i just learned about vox and I think making fun of him is hilarious

RuckusRouser
Sep 28, 2015

Theres a lot of close ups of landing gear

Derek Smart, although we don't know each other very well, can you do me a small favor?

Can you email the following article to your wife and tell her "yeah I am going to be talking to this guy tonight on HIS platform".

http://www.wnd.com/2005/08/31677/

Please tell us her response when you hear back.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

I'm pretty sure the people who are saying don't do it are looking at the content of his website, not because they have skewed perspective. Some things are hard to look past, derek.

That being said, do it lmao

2fat4sex
Apr 18, 2005

http://www.wired.com/2015/08/won-science-fictions-hugo-awards-matters/

Wired Article posted:

A conversation with Beale feels sort of like walking around a room designed by MC Escher. It turns in on itself in unexpected and at times dizzying ways. A sampling: When I asked him why he once called noted fantasy author NK Jemisin an “educated, but ignorant half-savage” on his blog, he said it wasn’t because she is black, then launched into an explication of what he called “new” genetic research that he says he doesn’t expect very many people to understand (but which he claims supports his use of the term “half-savage”).

When I said that he was intentionally baiting a person of color with a word that has racial overtones, he acknowledged, “I’m calling her a half-savage because I know it’s going to offend the crap out of her, because she’s going to run around screaming, ‘Racist! Racist!’ for the next 10 years.”

A beat, and then he added: “I don’t consider all black people to be half-savages. I mean, some people are. Here in Europe, for example, we have actual proper Africans, not African-Americans. This leads to problems, like people making GBS threads on top of the closed toilets. They don’t know how to use indoor plumbing, okay? This is not civilized behavior.”

It's okay guys, Vox Day considers Derek one of the good ones

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

Nobody is going to watch it and it will be used as ammo against you

Pussy Cartel
Jun 26, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Moogle posted:

Whoa there friend; I signed up to take the piss out of Squadron 42, not Combat 18.

:vince:

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

G0RF posted:

You don't need to ask anybody. Least of all me.

I know there's a lot of people telling you not to do the interview for various reasons but you're a Smart guy and should do whatever you're comfortable with. If goons (or others) don't want to listen to Vox as a matter of conscience, good for them.

My opinion, for what little it is worth, is that if you want to make absolutely sure Derek Smart will do something, tell him "DO NOT DO THIS, DEREK!"

There's obviously something pretty absurd about a bunch of presumably white guys expressly telling you not to go do the interview with a guy because he's got inflammatory opinions on race. I personally appreciate the little mentioned fact that you never make anything about race-- and you seem to have steered clear of making too much note of the allegations of racism at CIG, though you'd be in a better position to do it than nearly anyone in the industry. Heaven knows if you were a Social Justice Warrior we'd never hear the end of that particularly toxic allegation. You generally tend to focus on issues of honesty, qualification, mismanagement, criminality- the stuff that speaks to a person's competence and character- and CIG needs more people doing that. Sadly. If you happen to do it with hyperbole, bluster, endless repetition, self-congratulation and mustache twirling, well, that makes it much funnier for us and makes doing photoshops like this all the more worthwhile.

So if you want to do the show, you should do it. Only Nixon could go to China, after all. There may be all kinds of fallout from it- simply by virtue of you sharing a stage with someone that controversial, but you know that, and you're no stranger to controversy yourself. Confounding expectations and pissing off people is kind of your specialty. (That and attacking coke machines, right? :-p)

So do what you feel is right, man.

^this. That's basically the gist of it.

You see, for as long as I've been around, my upbringing taught me to strive for what I want, what I deserve and what I feel is the right thing. I've never - ever - made my success or failures about race, opportunities or anything of the sort.

I was raised right. And so all I believe that hard work and perseverance go farther than accepting defeat while lamenting the road not traveled.

And that's why I make fun of everyone who takes sides in political, religious debates to the point of pure ridicule. I support women's lib, a woman's right to choose, Free Speech, same sex unions, all races etc, while still knowing that it's ok to have an opinion, even if I don't agree (e.g. even as a non-denominational Christian, I find avid Christians to be patently hilarious when defending a work of pure fiction - The Bible - while trying to get others to buy into it) with them.

I think people get polarized over the most irrational of things. Which is why I tend to troll everybody. No exceptions.

If nothing else, regardless of how people feel about VD, who knows, maybe someone like me going on the show will help bring more clarity to views [of him] that people may have simply distorted over time.

Cuntpunch
Oct 3, 2003

A monkey in a long line of kings
You know, when I think 'game designer' I really do think of some of the unique experiences out there. I looked up Vox's history and it's half a dozen games, most of them 20+ years ago, and they all look like generic 90s marathon mods. His latest design effort is a restaurant management sim. Exactly how is this guy a design prodigy?

George Rouncewell
Jul 20, 2007

You think that's illegal? Heh, watch this.
Derek probably agreed to do the thing without first checking what VD was all about, and because admitting even a slight mistake is impossible when you are Derek smart the only thing to do is Derek harder, not smarter

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

Allowing people to poo poo in private was the biggest mistake civilization has ever made. You would have never been able to ship on top of a Roman toilet and get away with it.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

G0RF posted:

True. The reason is that I know who I am, confident in being that person, and people don't define who I am.

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

D_Smart posted:

If nothing else, regardless of how people feel about VD, who knows, maybe someone like me going on the show will help bring more clarity to views [of him] that people may have simply distorted over time.

you mean by quoting his own words verbatim

yeah i can see how that might distort his views

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

A Neurotic Jew posted:

you're posting in a thread made by derek smart right now, and derek smart endorses neonazis. That is extremely troubling.

:negative: dude, please, don't do that. It's neither funny, nor hilarious. I don't endorse neo-nazies.

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

D_Smart posted:

:negative: dude, please, don't do that. It's neither funny, nor hilarious. I don't endorse neo-nazies.

yes you do.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

D_SSmart

Cuntpunch
Oct 3, 2003

A monkey in a long line of kings

D_Smart posted:

Henry Ford keeping a portrait of Hitler on his desk wasn't endorsing the man! It was just liking and respecting him!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dark Off
Aug 14, 2015

D_Smart posted:

Well, if you guys are boycotting it, what does it matter? :(

ps: I'm really sad that you guys are looking at this from such a skewed perspective. I'm going to attend. It will be fine. And I'm NOT going to use it as a platform for anything other than to talk about my success, failures - and my Star Citizen involvement.

Guys i think Derek is going to own vox day.
Like race question will come up at some point on the show. Then derek only needs to sue vox day for racial discrimination.
I think dereks trying to do somekind of triple takedown here.

• Locked thread