Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Grapplejack posted:

It would be kinda neat if his gimmick is beating poo poo with him gives you powerful starting items for other characters.

No, it wouldn't. Super-hard masochistic characters should unlock joke and crap items mostly (why put cool items behind a challenge 99.9% of people won't do?). Beating the goddamn game with them should be enough of a reward.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

trucutru posted:

No, it wouldn't. Super-hard masochistic characters should unlock joke and crap items mostly (why put cool items behind a challenge 99.9% of people won't do?). Beating the goddamn game with them should be enough of a reward.

I mean, The Lost is as masochistic as you can get and his unlocks are absolutely worth the price of admission (save for zodiac, which loving sucks). The Keeper will be a cakewalk in comparison.

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

Tigers will do anything for a tuna sandwich.

Eve is great in regular mode. Greed mode Eve is a goddamn nightmare unless you get the relic or guppy's paw because there are far fewer spirit heart restoring items and it makes it a royal bitch to maintain whore of Babylon without dying.

As for still hidden poo poo, there is text in the graphical files for both the Razor Blade and Holy Mantle. Seems pretty safe to guess those are for inevitable Lost and Eve unlocks. My money is on the Holy Mantle unlock being the reason Blinding Baby won't unlock for anyone.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

I've never even been to the chest before and I have afterbirth

What are the most useful unlocks, or, ones I should aim for first to make life easier later?

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Volt Catfish posted:

What are the most useful unlocks, or, ones I should aim for first to make life easier later?

The challenges have some excellent items and utilities gated behind them. 2, 9, and 17 give arguably the most important items. Do them all if you have the time/inclination, though.

omeg
Sep 3, 2012

Volt Catfish posted:

From challenges: Waka Waka (scythes), High Brow (Jera rune), Solar System (Perthro rune), Demo Man (Chaos Card, needs Dr Fetus unlocked), Cat Got Your Tongue (Algiz rune, requires being Guppy once), The Host (Tech 0.5), Family Man if you can (Epic Fetus).

Items: Knife (beat Satan as Isaac), Ipecac if you can handle it (beat heart 6 times), candles (donate in the shop a lot), lots of good stuff in the shop (donate to 999).

Psychedelicatessen
Feb 17, 2012

The new Ultra Greed sucks, you can't kill all the hearts/keys before they activate anymore. :(

NO LISTEN TO ME
Jan 3, 2009

「プリスティンビート」
「Pristine Beat」
Has anyone figured out what happens when you get the greed machine up to 999? I know it unlocks an achievement (or at least an entry in the Secrets menu) but what does it actually do?

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

NO LISTEN TO ME posted:

Has anyone figured out what happens when you get the greed machine up to 999? I know it unlocks an achievement (or at least an entry in the Secrets menu) but what does it actually do?

It unlocks an achievement and an entry in the Secrets menu.

NO LISTEN TO ME
Jan 3, 2009

「プリスティンビート」
「Pristine Beat」

watho posted:

It unlocks an achievement and an entry in the Secrets menu.

i love video games

Real Cool Catfish
Jun 6, 2011
Started the Have a Heart challenge,

First room I walk into has a bedroom leading off of it, so I'm healed to full.

Two floors down I find a 6 dice room and rerolled myself, so now I'm rocking Maggie's bow for double healing hearts, and a weird Ipecac/Continuum combo. Kinda unsafe when the ipecac tears loop around to the other side.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Spergminer posted:

The new Ultra Greed sucks, you can't kill all the hearts/keys before they activate anymore. :(

I don't get Ultra Greed. On one hand, he has some lame damage reduction poo poo to punish OP runs, but it sounds like you'll still -need- that OP stuff just to keep up with his coins & adds. On runs where I didn't have crazy room filling bullets and poo poo the old coins were kind of a pain to deal with so I cant image how lovely it will be now with a mediocre build.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Oxyclean posted:

I don't get Ultra Greed. On one hand, he has some lame damage reduction poo poo to punish OP runs, but it sounds like you'll still -need- that OP stuff just to keep up with his coins & adds. On runs where I didn't have crazy room filling bullets and poo poo the old coins were kind of a pain to deal with so I cant image how lovely it will be now with a mediocre build.

Here's what's to get about Ultra Greed/a lot of the new stuff in general: Edmund hates you.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

Oxyclean posted:

It's pretty hard to not get an OP build in greed mode though.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

ErIog posted:

You can activate Whore by being at 1 red heart. Absolute worst case scenario you take a few hits in the first Basement waves to activate Whore, stop the waves, and then go buy soul hearts or a key to open your second item room. Like yeah, I guess you could get tremendously unlucky by not having a damage up in your item room and having the first shop spawn without soul hearts, but it's really not difficult to activate Whore. Just go down to 1 red heart on Basement 1 and then trade away the empty containers later.

never said it was hard to activate it

what I said is that she's poo poo

which is true

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Triple Shot is a really good item to start with. Sounds more like a Judas variant than another Lost.

Oxyclean posted:

That's probably the point. He was intended to be a challenging boss (hence damage reduction) but they didn't want to make damage ups worthless, hence all the other stuff for you to kill.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Triple Shot is a really good item to start with. Sounds more like a Judas variant than another Lost.

eeeeh I wouldn't go that far since judas can get health and won't have the tear delay from triple shot

it's definitely not gonna be anywhere near as hard as the lost since you can probably still use the holy mantle and extra lives in addition to the actual hearts you'd have/the wafer, but it'll still be the hardest non lost character to complete the game with if it actually is limited to two hearts ever. I don't really mind it tho because it doesn't require absolute perfection from you for 20-40 minutes, depending on how fast you go, and that's the biggest problem with the lost

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

The only person I haven't beaten Greed mode with is Lost, and I don't know if I hate myself enough to try it.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

Manatee Cannon posted:

never said it was hard to activate it

what I said is that she's poo poo

which is true

I mean, it isn't but whatever.

Ghost Head
Sep 16, 2008
I found a really cool champion type I hadn't seen before. It's a green flashing champion that splits into 2 smaller ones when you kill it. The one I saw was one of those floating babies in the depths who shriek while firing at you

Also I just had Bumbo for the first time. He's hilarious. I assume that was him dropping live bombs in front of enemies?

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Waffle! posted:

The only person I haven't beaten Greed mode with is Lost, and I don't know if I hate myself enough to try it.

Chaos Card :getin:

NO LISTEN TO ME
Jan 3, 2009

「プリスティンビート」
「Pristine Beat」
Once the patches settle down and I feel good about modding my game again without fearing I'll break everything, I'm probably gonna mod The Lost to start with poo poo like holy mantle, blank card, and chaos card, because no way am I loving with any of that poo poo ever again.

Worklurker
Jan 2, 2014

Ghost Head posted:

I found a really cool champion type I hadn't seen before. It's a green flashing champion that splits into 2 smaller ones when you kill it. The one I saw was one of those floating babies in the depths who shriek while firing at you

Also I just had Bumbo for the first time. He's hilarious. I assume that was him dropping live bombs in front of enemies?

Not sure if they fixed it but, if you exit the game and restart your session, bumbo will revert to it's first stage. Kinda annoying for how much you have to feed him.

bassguitarhero
Feb 29, 2008

I finally beat greed mode with blue baby, the only damage ups I got were meat and Jesus juice so my damage was only 3 ticks but I still took ultra greed down in about the same amount of time as when I got there with eve in WOB with Polyphemus and pinking shears + magic mush

Some weird damage scaling for sure. At least I never have to do greed mode with blue baby again

bassguitarhero fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Nov 7, 2015

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice
The new secret character sounds like garbage but if you get a swallowed penny or piggy bank then he's pretty much invincible as he is currently.

Hopefully his inability to pick up soul/black hearts is a byproduct of him being unfinished.

NO LISTEN TO ME posted:

Once the patches settle down and I feel good about modding my game again without fearing I'll break everything, I'm probably gonna mod The Lost to start with poo poo like holy mantle, blank card, and chaos card, because no way am I loving with any of that poo poo ever again.

I'm just going to mod it so everyone starts with Spider Mod because I love it.

Also make someone start with Chaos.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost
Head of Krampus is hilarious for just melting bosses. Admittedly having proptosis, mysterious liquid and about three different shot speed/tear upgrades also helped.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
So phd has gone from "sort of good" to "totally worthless" since they keep adding more bullshit pills to the "good" side

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism
Just gave Eve a whirl in Greed to see what the fuss was about.

Bought a chaos card and Blank Card from the shop on Caves. Needless to say this simplified things a bit :D

Photux
Sep 3, 2012

Funny then, that such darkness gives me hope

Manatee Cannon posted:

it's definitely not gonna be anywhere near as hard as the lost since you can probably still use the holy mantle and extra lives in addition to the actual hearts you'd have/the wafer, but it'll still be the hardest non lost character to complete the game with if it actually is limited to two hearts ever. I don't really mind it tho because it doesn't require absolute perfection from you for 20-40 minutes, depending on how fast you go, and that's the biggest problem with the lost

Yeah, I like the sound of the new character a lot. Having a max of two hearts but having easy healing through coins makes him a lot like the lost with holy mantle: you can get hit once before you have to go back and pick up health. However, he trades flight for triple shot, and can pick up health/coins mid-battle. I enjoy playing as the lost (once I've got the holy mantle or dead cat) so another character that has extreme fragility, but with a little more leeway, skins fun to me.

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

PantsBandit posted:

So phd has gone from "sort of good" to "totally worthless" since they keep adding more bullshit pills to the "good" side

IIRC phd isn't "only good pills", it just turns all negative pills into positive ones and leaves neutral pills the same. So you're not wrong, with the like six new pill effects that all count as neutral (one makes you x, retro vision and other stuff) phd kinda got nerfed since there's still a limited number of pill types you can get and you're a bit more likely to have garbage now

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
Yeah, the Lost has absolutely no leeway (Without Holy Mantle) so I don't think new guy is gonna be as bad as him.

New guy actually can't get Soul or Black Hearts at all. In fact, any hearts that drop turn immediately into Blue Flies. While not being able to increase his HP stings, it's not like he has nothing to work with. In fact, he also starts with a currently unimplemented trinket that has the description "We welcome you with open doors" which might be the Paper clip equivalent for doors.

Araxxor fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Nov 7, 2015

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Photux posted:

Yeah, I like the sound of the new character a lot. Having a max of two hearts but having easy healing through coins makes him a lot like the lost with holy mantle: you can get hit once before you have to go back and pick up health. However, he trades flight for triple shot, and can pick up health/coins mid-battle. I enjoy playing as the lost (once I've got the holy mantle or dead cat) so another character that has extreme fragility, but with a little more leeway, skins fun to me.

y'know when you think about it, the new guy might actually be super easy against ultra greed since that boss knocks coins out of you

if you go into the fight with a lot of coins, you have basically infinite healing for when you gently caress up

biscuits and crazy
Oct 10, 2012
New daily is beat Mom with Lilith. It's pretty easy, the nerf to box of friends is nowhere near as crippling as you might think. Even did the boss rush, I really like the new version with 15 randomised waves vs. the old preset 15. Got the new Percs! pill as well, not sure what it does though.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
The new guy is going to be much easier than the lost if just by the fact that he doesn't die to one hit

graynull
Dec 2, 2005

Did I misread all the signs?
I hope their planned future DLC/level builder will allow for custom character starting builds. I'd love to tinker around with unique or thematic item combos and challenges without having to find them the hard way.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
It's a little bit of work but you can just use CheatEngine to do that now. Get one of the new/updated tables that has a pedestal script and just grab whatever items you want at the start of every run.

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

Property was their religion
A church for one

PantsBandit posted:

That and of the two detrimental pills that really matter (tears down, luck down) neither are as big of a deal.

You can get random luck ups from coins now so luck down isn't quite as painful. They added a lot more tears up items to the boss pool which is great because my actual least favorite thing about Rebirth was any run where I get lots of dmg ups, a tears down pill, and no tears up items at all. By the womb your damage is quite bad despite having 10 different damage up items and it became a tedious crawl. I hated those runs.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice
They could totally make Retro Vision a negative effect with I Can See Forever! as the positive counterpart or put in a new one that gives you a Book of Secrets effect if they don't want two negatives for one positive effect. Then move One Makes You Larger into the negatives and have One Makes You Smaller as the positive.

Speaking of which, does anyone know what the Perks! effect does? I've only seen it like twice and couldn't notice any change to stats or consumables.

that ivy guy
May 20, 2015

VDay posted:

It's a little bit of work but you can just use CheatEngine to do that now. Get one of the new/updated tables that has a pedestal script and just grab whatever items you want at the start of every run.

or just use one of many character xml file editors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

Speed is such an obnoxious challenge. I can't get to Womb 2 before the time limit no matter what I do, and the health drain kills me before I can find the boss room. I even loving skipped two full floors with Undefined on a run and couldn't get there fast enough.

I feel like you either need a super carry item or combo (really lucky guppy, brim, etc) or several damage ups + mapping. Mapping is super important for speed but every freaking run I've done, if I get mapping (the mind, crystal ball, etc) I don't get poo poo for damage.