Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Burning Rain
Jul 17, 2006

What's happening?!?!
Yeah, after a couple of hours with it, I agree that Skyshine's Bedlam is Not A Good Game. The meta-game is pretty much a window dressing for the tactical battles (more so than in FTL), and the battles... well, they are decent. They play out quick but don't offer many tactical options - it's like a chess with four different pieces and very few bells and whistles thrown in. It's clear that they were aiming for casual tactical RPG crowd, but the result is neither here nor there.

If the AI was better and it were easier to distinguish different classes, it would be quite good for a short break, but as it is, you can only call it decent, really. I wouldn't buy it, but if you have it, you can have some fun for a couple of hours.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sacrificial Toast
Nov 5, 2009

Hactar posted:

Anyone tried Dragon Fin Soup?

Came out yesterday (and it’s free on PS+ if anyone has that).

I backed it on Kickstarter, and I've played a few hours. It seems enjoyable so far. The controls are a bit of a mess, and you can't rebind them, but that's something that can be patched up pretty easily, which it seems they're already working on.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Burning Rain posted:

Yeah, after a couple of hours with it, I agree that Skyshine's Bedlam is Not A Good Game. The meta-game is pretty much a window dressing for the tactical battles (more so than in FTL), and the battles... well, they are decent. They play out quick but don't offer many tactical options - it's like a chess with four different pieces and very few bells and whistles thrown in. It's clear that they were aiming for casual tactical RPG crowd, but the result is neither here nor there.

If the AI was better and it were easier to distinguish different classes, it would be quite good for a short break, but as it is, you can only call it decent, really. I wouldn't buy it, but if you have it, you can have some fun for a couple of hours.

I just wish I could figure out how to actually attack something. Unless they are ALL ranged and your party isn't.

Burning Rain
Jul 17, 2006

What's happening?!?!
Each one of your classes has a different attack range (indicated by little orange circles at the edge of the position). If an enemy is in the attack range, it will have a bright orange outline at its feet. For some reason attacking is done with left mouse click instead of right (unlike moving).

DeathBySpoon
Dec 17, 2007

I got myself a paper clip!

Water in Roggle is actually water now and not just a reskin of solid tiles. I wonder how that chair got there.

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Mod sass? This evening?! But the cakes aren't ready! THE CAKES!
Fun Shoe

DeathBySpoon posted:

Water in Roggle is actually water now and not just a reskin of solid tiles. I wonder how that chair got there.

This is looking great.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

RPS' review of Dragon Fin Soup is out, for whoever was asking earlier. Even assuming John Walker was having an off day, sounds like it's going to need some patches before it's ready. Too bad, I thought the fairy tale theme had a lot of potential.

Edit-bad link

Fruits of the sea fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Nov 5, 2015

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
I've been giving Dream Quest a shot, and so far...level 2 is bullshit. What the gently caress is this with ghosts that surprise-attack you, take half damage from physical, have more health than my character does, automatically drain 4 health each turn, and get four cards each turn? I mean, even if I wasn't playing a physical-based character (thief) I'm having trouble seeing how that's a reasonable encounter.

Roguelikes can be hard, but they should be fair. At least let me run from the loving things!

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off
Just managed my first Renowned Explorers win (Adventure/Classic). Can someone explain to me how the whole 'their mood/your mood' system works? I get how individual characters' mood works, I get how using attacks/KOing enemies shifts the global mood, but then there's some other system that causes the effects of the global mood to change...? I don't think it's random, but...

I've been enjoying the game a ton, but not understanding this system has caused some frustrating deaths.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
Is Coin Crypt good? It was in some random two-dollar bundle and I remember the name so it must not be mediocre - but, well, quality can go in one direction or the other, right?

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

I've been giving Dream Quest a shot, and so far...level 2 is bullshit. What the gently caress is this with ghosts that surprise-attack you, take half damage from physical, have more health than my character does, automatically drain 4 health each turn, and get four cards each turn? I mean, even if I wasn't playing a physical-based character (thief) I'm having trouble seeing how that's a reasonable encounter.

Roguelikes can be hard, but they should be fair. At least let me run from the loving things!

Level 2 is just a random one of eight themes; the ghosts can be anywhere. All I can say is:be on the watch for ghosts, bro. They're acceptable even if you're a physical character; some guys can wreck your poo poo, to be sure, but be aware that you're going to need to do non-physical damage SOMETIME, and prepare for it. Thieves are particularly poo poo at this, but you can get really good poison. Try to back yourself up with an elemental strike or two. I agree ghosts can be an unpleasant surprise, and they've ended a few runs, but like those (loving) Ussuri (?) in the forest region, surprise attacks are a thing you quickly learn to be prepared for.

If you think the ghosts are legit bullshit and they make you really unhappy, you're going to have some unpleasant surprises in store for you. Phoenixes, Sphinxes, Storm Giants, and Hands of Glory are far more lovely.

(Also, running is a special ability you have to unlock and take as a perk.)

edit: I mean, the ghosts can show up in the 'undead castle' theme, which can be anywhere in the game.

John Lee fucked around with this message at 09:10 on Nov 7, 2015

Metal Meltdown
Mar 27, 2010

I've now managed one win as the Paladin and some close calls as a few other classes and the key to winning is diversity in your deck. The enemy types in the game are just too varied to only have one game plan. Always be able to deal a few different types of damage view elemental spells/slashes and piercing damage. Also gotta have at least a few defensive/healing cards.

The game is very RNG biased but I'm having a good time with it.

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
Every release is always a pleasant and entirely random surprise--Forays into Norrendrin finally hit v0.8.4! http://forays.github.io/

quote:

This version focuses on interface polish, flavor, and on small changes that have big impacts on gameplay.

Here's a quick summary of the big changes:
* Health and status bars! You can now see health & status effect durations for both you and enemies.
* Dungeon descriptions! Flavor text for your surroundings now appears at the bottom of the screen.
* Shrines can now appear at any depth, not just odd-numbered depths. A full set of 5 will still exist on each pair of depths. (1 and 2, 3 and 4, etc.)
* Monsters now tend to have slightly less health, but slightly more of them will appear.
* Added 2 new level types, and changed level type rarities - some are now more common than others.
* More font sizes, to better fit common screen resolutions while fullscreened.

Minor changes and bugfixes:
* Confirmation before resting is now the default. No more accidental rests.
* The dungeon is now overall a noisier place. Sounds are more likely to draw the attention of monsters.
* Fixed a bug where input wasn't properly flushed after certain animations.
* Fixed a bug where Feel no pain didn't activate the first time if you were below 20HP when you learned it.
* Fixed a bug where you could close doors on monsters and items.
* Mouse UI improved in several little ways, especially with middle-clicks and scroll wheels.

It really is one of the absolute bests right up there with Brogue and The Ground Gives Way when it comes to this sort of particular style of Roguelike.

DeathBySpoon
Dec 17, 2007

I got myself a paper clip!

ExiledTinkerer posted:

Every release is always a pleasant and entirely random surprise--Forays into Norrendrin finally hit v0.8.4! http://forays.github.io/

It really is one of the absolute bests right up there with Brogue and The Ground Gives Way when it comes to this sort of particular style of Roguelike.

I had never heard of it before, but this is really fun. Really easy to use UI, and I like that you start with each weapon / armor type from the start. You have a lot of options for how you want to play right off the bat, I like that.

It's screenshot saturday, which means it's time to take a look at fire and combat in Roggle:

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh

DeathBySpoon posted:

I had never heard of it before, but this is really fun. Really easy to use UI, and I like that you start with each weapon / armor type from the start. You have a lot of options for how you want to play right off the bat, I like that.

It's screenshot saturday, which means it's time to take a look at fire and combat in Roggle:

This looks hella rad and I look forward to it. Keep it up!

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Is Coin Crypt good? It was in some random two-dollar bundle and I remember the name so it must not be mediocre - but, well, quality can go in one direction or the other, right?

It's pretty solid and has a good balance of RNG/skill but it was sort of eclipsed by being entirely redone while in EA killing its momentum, and then that whole "Binding of Isaac" thing smashed into the genre.

Tax Inductions
Jul 9, 2007

I carry refreshments to the good guys
I made the good guys some home fries
I thought I'd hit my skill ceiling in Towerclimb, but it was just a big plateau. All of the sudden I can win like 70%+ in chapter 1. The turning point seemed to coincide with the ability to use the boots/golden greaves effectively. I'm coming for you Zardo

Amorphous Abode
Apr 2, 2010

We may have finally found unobtainium but I will never find eywa.

Mr. Wednesday posted:

I thought I'd hit my skill ceiling in Towerclimb, but it was just a big plateau. All of the sudden I can win like 70%+ in chapter 1. The turning point seemed to coincide with the ability to use the boots/golden greaves effectively. I'm coming for you Zardo

I agree. The important trick is properly utilizing boots by using them to do an item jump over a pool of lava. gently caress boots I hate them.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Speaking of towerclimb, finally made it through the volt cave, yeah!

oh nooooooooooooooooooo

e:

I want to cry

lets hang out fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Nov 8, 2015

Big Sean
Jan 18, 2010
On a rating of 1 to spelunky, how good is towerclimb?

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*

Big Sean posted:

I can't give a number but I burned out on towerclimb after a bit because the base climbing speed was really slow, and progress felt glacial if you never got one of the random climbing speed glove upgrades. This was in the beta version so I don't know if the guy ever adjusted it. If it wasn't for that I'd rate it higher than spelunky though.

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

I didn't like Towerclimb much at first, but I grew to love it after maybe an hour and a half of play. I would rate it at Spelunky, or perhaps Spelunky-1.

It has the same deal; changing areas in a set order, semi-random events, you can find powerful items, etc. The pace is slower than Spelunky in general, though.

It still has the same old Spelunky murderous multiplayer rife with recrimination, though.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Mercury_Storm posted:

I can't give a number but I burned out on towerclimb after a bit because the base climbing speed was really slow, and progress felt glacial if you never got one of the random climbing speed glove upgrades. This was in the beta version so I don't know if the guy ever adjusted it. If it wasn't for that I'd rate it higher than spelunky though.

Apparently they did increase climbing speed at some point but I don't know if it was before or after you played. It's still pretty slow but I just try to do as much jumping upward as possible instead. Don't spend too much time on walls after the hatchery. If you paid for the beta than you can just email them at davioware@davioware.com to get your steam key and see if you like it better now.

e: realized I maybe don't remember enough about spelunky to actually compare the two

lets hang out fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Nov 8, 2015

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

started on chapter 1 for the first time since i beat it and made it all the way from there to zardoland and wow is it satisfying. like i figured it was a fluke that i ever made it to chapter 2 at all but maybe i actually got better at the game??? :D

nplus1 elephants
Oct 23, 2010
I say it's perfectly heartless your eating muffins at all, under the circumstances

ExiledTinkerer posted:

Thanks for sharing this! I'd never heard of this or The Ground Gives Way but they both sucked up a fair bit of time last night.

Tax Inductions
Jul 9, 2007

Big Sean posted:

Totally subjective obviously, but i'd honestly rate towerclimb higher than spelunky. It's in my top tier of games along with necrodancer.

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010

Mr. Wednesday posted:

Totally subjective obviously, but i'd honestly rate towerclimb higher than spelunky. It's in my top tier of games along with necrodancer.

What about it clicks so strongly with you?

alarumklok
Jun 30, 2012

Is anyone else playing Forays? How does the game decide when you get feats?

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
Jesus loving Christ.

look at the final boss's remaining HP [top-right]. look at it...

alarumklok
Jun 30, 2012

Dire indeed

Renowned Explorers owns bones

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010
That image makes my soul hurt.

netcat
Apr 29, 2008
I don't understand what anything in that image means.

Glidergun
Mar 4, 2007

netcat posted:

I don't understand what anything in that image means.

The important thing to take away from it is that a) a bunch, and probably all, of PF's guys are laying face-down on the ground (i.e. he probably lost the fight) and b) the final boss has, like, 1 HP left out of something like 100 base, and that boss is the keystone of the fight (i.e. he very nearly won the not just the fight but the game)

bisonbison
Jul 18, 2002

alarumklok posted:

Renowned Explorers owns bones

Do other folks agree?

Tax Inductions
Jul 9, 2007

Pladdicus posted:

What about it clicks so strongly with you?

A few of my favorite things about it:

- Great feeling of 'flow' when you start getting good, this is one of the reasons I mentally associate it with necrodancer.

- Combines slower puzzly gameplay with quick twitch/dexterity gameplay in a very natural way.

- Some really clever game/level design. See for example the Segmentation Plant. There are no enemies, but like 4 out of 5 of the block types are traps in one way or another and a malicious RNG makes that area one of the most brutal platforming zones I've ever encountered

- Despite the aforementioned brutality, the game is very rarely unfair (leaving aside the centurial trials, gently caress you throbbing air levels). The game starts you off with enough resources and gives you enough as you play to make 'impossible' situations very unlikely, (and it's probably your fault for wasting resources earlier). The vast majority of my many, many deaths in the game have been my fault, and I can usually tell what I did wrong.

The cherry on top is excellent atmosphere / music / sound.

Sacrificial Toast
Nov 5, 2009

Mr. Wednesday posted:

A few of my favorite things about it:

- Great feeling of 'flow' when you start getting good, this is one of the reasons I mentally associate it with necrodancer.

- Combines slower puzzly gameplay with quick twitch/dexterity gameplay in a very natural way.

- Some really clever game/level design. See for example the Segmentation Plant. There are no enemies, but like 4 out of 5 of the block types are traps in one way or another and a malicious RNG makes that area one of the most brutal platforming zones I've ever encountered

- Despite the aforementioned brutality, the game is very rarely unfair (leaving aside the centurial trials, gently caress you throbbing air levels). The game starts you off with enough resources and gives you enough as you play to make 'impossible' situations very unlikely, (and it's probably your fault for wasting resources earlier). The vast majority of my many, many deaths in the game have been my fault, and I can usually tell what I did wrong.

The cherry on top is excellent atmosphere / music / sound.

In addition to these points, I just want to say that double jumps as a limited resource is one of my favorite ideas in a recent platformer, and I'd love to see more games attempt it.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

The Zenith is a loving nightmare. Like it should be easy compared to the Seg Plant or whatever but god it's nerve wracking

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012

Glidergun posted:

The important thing to take away from it is that a) a bunch, and probably all, of PF's guys are laying face-down on the ground (i.e. he probably lost the fight) and b) the final boss has, like, 1 HP left out of something like 100 base, and that boss is the keystone of the fight (i.e. he very nearly won the not just the fight but the game)

the awful thing is that I still had one guy standing, but ran out of Resolve. it was this close. this close!

I weep.

bisonbison posted:

Do other folks agree?

I'm liking it a lot. It's really easy to get into, has a lot of depth, and you can die pretty fast if you gently caress up, which is a good thing in a permadeath game. (there's a non-permadeath mode but it doesn't seem to be the design focus.)

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
I'd personally like some easier roguelikes, I am bad at video games and don't have the time to invest in getting good at them, and I've always been hot garbage at learning the internal mechanics of games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009

bisonbison posted:

Do other folks agree?

It is the best game yet, by an enormous margin, to tap into the core spirit of what hooked so many people on FTL as opposed to the various ones that instead tried to work from the setting/premise and work backwards to ends that generally and wholly missed the mark.

Also helps that the devs have been on the ball with post release support and content updates despite the launch sales being far less than they'd hoped for---it is the sort of game that, if they continue to flesh out as they'd hope, will legitimately become something of a sprawling modern classic outright.