Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Dallan Invictus posted:

Apparently they did that to make sure the Dothraki didn't require HL to play (which is weird because how does vanilla handle that case where certain titles are in the history files as nomadic but the player doesn't own HL?)

They're still tribal if you don't have HL.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013

Dallan Invictus posted:

Apparently they did that to make sure the Dothraki didn't require HL to play (which is weird because how does vanilla handle that case where certain titles are in the history files as nomadic but the player doesn't own HL?)

That said if the Dothraki had vanilla nomad mechanics they'd overrun Essos in short order so maybe this is for the best!

They also don't have anything else that requires an expansion or DLC. No retinues or religious reformation mechanics, for instance.

I can see why, but it still annoys me a little.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

It's possible to put checks in decisions and events so that they only fire if certain DLC is active. The Game of Thrones people know this, right?

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice

Ofaloaf posted:

It's possible to put checks in decisions and events so that they only fire if certain DLC is active. The Game of Thrones people know this, right?

They'll just complain that it's too much work for something not a lot of people have. :rolleyes:

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Hitlers Gay Secret posted:

They'll just complain that it's too much work for something not a lot of people have. :rolleyes:

To be fair, if the dothraki was to use the nomad mechanics as they are now, they would be sitting on the iron throne at the end of each and every game.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

Elias_Maluco posted:

To be fair, if the dothraki was to use the nomad mechanics as they are now, they would be sitting on the iron throne at the end of each and every game.

As it should be.

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

O'er the sea from the north
there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow

NewMars posted:

They also don't have anything else that requires an expansion or DLC. No retinues or religious reformation mechanics, for instance.

I can see why, but it still annoys me a little.

It's been a while but I'm pretty sure they've said that retinues and religious reformations aren't in since they don't think they fit the setting. It's like how there isn't any technology.

There are two different raiding systems in the mod, one for people without old gods and one for people with so it's not like they are just going :effort:

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
As a former giant ASOIAF fanboy I can safely say retinues 100% fit the setting so I don't get that one.

Ultimate Shrek Fan
May 2, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Every time I try to play with the new asoiaf mod I crash to desktop with no error, anyone else getting this?

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

So it turns out Github is banned from the Paradox forums because of forum rule no. 7, which is as follows:

quote:

{No External Links} You will not post a link to an external website or forum without prior approval of an Administrator. (Sites with no user interaction (that only host media are okay, as long as that media meets and obeys all other rules) You will not link to images on other websites unless you have authorization to do so (or the site is designed for that purpose). This kind of "hot linking" is stealing the bandwidth of the server you link from, and is not appreciated. You will not post material (including text, images, graphics or other artwork) unless the copyright is owned by you, and/or Paradox, and/or the material is not in violation of any NDA (non-disclosure agreement) that you may have signed, and/or you have the expressed permission of the copyright holder to do so, and/or you fully attribute the holder of the copyrighted material.
Moddb links and such are okay because they are. No Github though, that's a gross violation of rules and there'll be no bending of them.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Ofaloaf posted:

So it turns out Github is banned from the Paradox forums because of forum rule no. 7, which is as follows:

Moddb links and such are okay because they are. No Github though, that's a gross violation of rules and there'll be no bending of them.

...but... don't they pretty much have to have outside links... to host mods...???

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

College Slice
Pdox are both the best and worst at times.

This is mostly why I never publish any of my mods in the first place. So much red tape.

Midnight Voyager posted:

...but... don't they pretty much have to have outside links... to host mods...???

They now have their own upload server apparently, which is what they're probably trying to force people to use. But the problem is guthub is just easier. It's loving retarded to ban it.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

I don't know and I don't understand why this is how it is and no I'm not bitter at all shut up mom.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

Midnight Voyager posted:

Wasn't Paradox spitballing hosting mod downloads on the forums to address precisely this issue?

(really they could fix this entirely by just raising the filesize limit on the Workshop to match, say, EU4's, which is like five times higher for no apparent reason.)

I get what they're trying to do, honestly - using mods and tech support as your "legit copy" incentive only works as long as you can ensure people mainly find mods through legit channels. Transitory mediafire/etc. links are one thing (and Game of Thrones largely seems to do whatever the gently caress it wants) but a persistent place users can go for updates/downloads to your mod that isn't Steam Workshop or the Paradox forums undermines that plan.

(this isn't the reason CK2+ removed its github link and made its repository private but it is something we discussed)

Dallan Invictus fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Nov 6, 2015

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

College Slice

Dallan Invictus posted:

(really they could fix this entirely by just raising the filesize limit on the Workshop to match, say, EU4's, which is like five times higher for no apparent reason.)

Steam apparently won't raise the limit, from what I remember pdox answering a year or so ago.

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!
The date/time function of the paradox servers never got past 1992 it seems.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Dallan Invictus posted:

I get what they're trying to do, honestly - using mods and tech support as your "legit copy" incentive only works as long as you can ensure people mainly find mods through legit channels. Transitory mediafire/etc. links are one thing (and Game of Thrones largely seems to do whatever the gently caress it wants) but a persistent place users can go for updates/downloads to your mod that isn't Steam Workshop or the Paradox forums undermines that plan.
With steam playing an ever-more prominent role in the distribution of Paradox games and the increasing usage of ~The Cloud~ for savegames, patch distribution, etc., how important is it to stick to that model anymore? Even if you do get a pirated up-to-date copy and your favorite mods, you're still effectively stuck with a gimped copy of the game nowadays.

Plus the centralized mod hub thing starts eroding the moment the games start to get popular enough to warrant permanent communities outside the Paradox forums- you can track down mod download links on Reddit fairly easily, and 4chan just passes on whatever the current mediafire links are for mods and happily shares them amongst each other out there.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

So anyone got any ideas where my non-castle troops are disappearing to? I mouse over the bar and it says 24 reinforced per month or whatever, but it will go up by that number for a few days, then tick right back down to where it was. No wars, no diseases, no ideas.

e; it occurs belatedly that I should probably specify I'm playing Elder Kings.

Ms Adequate fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Nov 7, 2015

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
That is some pretty weak and sad justification for not allowing github. Seeing as I was using that (though I failed to get the last After the End update to work) I'm pretty irate too.

As an anti-piracy measure, it's somewhat archetypal in that it just bothers legit consumers more than it does pirates, but can't you just skirt the line by mentioning in the OP that there is a github version of the mod?

And I'm still annoyed that you can't have it on Steam. It's just so way more convenient. Ach.

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Text BEEP to 43527 for the dancing robot!
Pillbug
Why not a way around for ATE: get a web page or site that just links the various places to download from.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

College Slice

Ceciltron posted:

Why not a way around for ATE: get a web page or site that just links the various places to download from.

Because then it couldn't be posted on the pdox forums period. They're against websites or forums for mods, save for ones made in their forums.

It's why I kept getting weird messages from the WtWSMS team demanding I cease discussion of their mod in this forum for a while. :psyduck:

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Text BEEP to 43527 for the dancing robot!
Pillbug
That is laughably stupid. Seriously, how can anyone think such mind-numbingly aggressive, uh, I won't say censorship, but Control-Freak-ness is a good idea?

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

Ofaloaf posted:

Plus the centralized mod hub thing starts eroding the moment the games start to get popular enough to warrant permanent communities outside the Paradox forums- you can track down mod download links on Reddit fairly easily, and 4chan just passes on whatever the current mediafire links are for mods and happily shares them amongst each other out there.

Sure, but there's deffo a downside to using Reddit or 4chan for that - most of the time you have to trawl through useless bullshit posts to find what you want. That's where a dedicated modding forum has the advantage - everything categorized, search function tailored towards saving you time and a specific community of modders and mod fans that can immediately point you towards what you're looking for. I mean hell, for a less savory example in practice, why do you think loverslab is still doing as well as it is and nerds don't just gently caress off to wherever to find their Skyrim/Fallout sex mods?

Deceitful Penguin posted:

As an anti-piracy measure, it's somewhat archetypal in that it just bothers legit consumers more than it does pirates, but can't you just skirt the line by mentioning in the OP that there is a github version of the mod?

And I'm still annoyed that you can't have it on Steam. It's just so way more convenient. Ach.

As an outside observer, this does seem to be the vibe I'm getting. It really seems like Paradox needs to make one of two choices - either go all the way to integrate all their poo poo with Steam Workshop, due to them having pretty much perfected the 'convenience to rope in pirates' approach down to an artform by this point, or they just drop the whole thing and use that time and energy on other things than trying to rope in folks via modding.

Or, and far more likely, they just keep doing what they're doing right now, which is trying to learn to do what Steam is already doing far better than them, and along that longer road, unfortunately, also wind up bothering legit consumers a bit more than pirates. Because the truth is, whereas folks imagine most pirates as entitled manchildren, that post poo poo on forums, most of them are actually more than happy to just have a working base game and accept poo poo like no multiplayer as a given. Plus the fact, that learning to mod in CK2 really would just require a savvy mind, a text editor for most things and time on your hands, rather than genuine skills with specialized developer tools or poo poo like that, so...I dunno if they really are roping that many pirates in via this modding approach TBH...but I suppose we'll see.

CrazyLoon fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Nov 7, 2015

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone
Paradox are just really heavy handed and stupid about this poo poo. Right now, Majesty 2's DLC doesn't work for anyone who's paid for it because their DRM servers are down. It's happened enough times in the past that you'd figure they'd do away with server-side authentication entirely, especially with how old the game is and the fact that they've put it up for sale this week on GOG. They once offered a short term fix for this problem but you had register your game and make a forums account in order to download it.

Gating features to aggressively promote their forums is just really distasteful.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
Paradox made Majesty?? Whaaaa

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

verbal enema posted:

Paradox made Majesty?? Whaaaa

I don't think they did, they were "just" the publishers. And for Majesty 2 only, I believe (and their Civ-like Warlock: Master of the Arcane series that plays in the Majesty world).

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
Ah

Synnr
Dec 30, 2009

moot the hopple posted:

Gating features to aggressively promote their forums is just really distasteful.

That is pretty much why I don't use it. I don't like having to sign in to even browse junk much less see/download mods and all that.

Anyway, I cannot figure out why a neighbor won't show up for the marriage proposal. If I choose myself here isn't anything (but sometimes two random courtiers) and if I choose her there isn't anyone to select. Any idea what is up? I just wanted to see if she would accept my merger proposal but I couldn't even swap over to her and forcibly sent a marriage proposal to myself just to see what was wrong. Same sitch with any other ladies in her heir tree.

I'm Zoroastrian if maybe that is doing something weird.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Aug 24, 2018

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

I don't really think so outrageous..

What's really outrageous is that someone is making a Mars mod, and it isn't planetary romance :smugjones:

e:

The exciting world of far-future Mars.

:smugjones:

How the gently caress do you make a Mars mod of a game about feudalism and not think immediately Barsoom

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

I doubt many people these days have even heard of Burroughs. And even if they have, it's probably by way of the not-very-well-received John Carter movie.

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013

Synnr posted:

Anyway, I cannot figure out why a neighbor won't show up for the marriage proposal. If I choose myself here isn't anything (but sometimes two random courtiers) and if I choose her there isn't anyone to select. Any idea what is up? I just wanted to see if she would accept my merger proposal but I couldn't even swap over to her and forcibly sent a marriage proposal to myself just to see what was wrong. Same sitch with any other ladies in her heir tree.

I'm Zoroastrian if maybe that is doing something weird.
Where are they located? I do believe this happens to betrothals where they end up out of diplo range of each other, but this sounds different.

Synnr
Dec 30, 2009

lurksion posted:

Where are they located? I do believe this happens to betrothals where they end up out of diplo range of each other, but this sounds different.

It's just next door, our borders are touching. I've a moderate portion of the Persian empire lands retaken starting from Gilan and they are that bit down the southeast towards the Indian border.

Between that and being unable to get rid of my lovers I think something went weird in my save.

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

I don't really think it's so outrageous.

What's really outrageous is that someone is making a Mars mod, and it isn't planetary romance :smugjones:

e:

The exciting world of far-future Mars.

:smugjones:

Finally we'll be able to declare MARTIAN LAW

pwnyXpress
Mar 28, 2007
Is there a Dune mod? There should be a Dune mod. A good one.

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

pwnyXpress posted:

Is there a Dune mod? There should be a Dune mod. A good one.

Synnr
Dec 30, 2009
It's already a bene gesserit simulator.

pwnyXpress
Mar 28, 2007

Synnr posted:

It's already a bene gesserit simulator.

Well, yeah, especially the way I play it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

• Locked thread