Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain_Person
Apr 7, 2013

WHAT CAN THE HARVEST HOPE FOR, IF NOT FOR THE CARE OF THE REAPER MAN?
Beautifully done Tom :golfclap:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Looks like the dust is finally clearing for the Carvers. Annie has her fire back and Tony is less of an indomitable wall than he first appeared.

Maybe they can start to build an actual father-daughter relationship.

you were warned
Jul 12, 2006

(the S is for skeleton)
I laughed so hard when I saw today's page...

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

The chapter is going to be one page long: Annie will walk in and say "I want Reynardine back." and then Tony will say "Fine."

THE END

And this made me laugh even harder. Holy poo poo.

Yay Renard :shittydog:

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
i can't stop laughing

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Next chapter, Annie demands to be moved back up a year, and Tony agrees, with a scene of him spiraling out of control through vast emotional galaxies.

Mimesweeper
Mar 11, 2009

Smellrose

The chapter is going to be one page long: Annie will walk in and say "I want Reynardine back." and then Tony will say "Fine."

THE END

Itzena
Aug 2, 2006

Nothing will improve the way things currently are.
Slime TrainerS

It was worth it.
:golfclap:

I still think the hard part is going to be convincing Kat that returning ownership of Reynard is the right thing to do, though.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

"Kat, please return ownership to me, TIA"
"Well I don't know Annie..."
*bursts into flames*
"OKHEREYOUGOMOZELTOV"

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Renard is their friend he should not be owned by either of them. :colbert:

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Reminder that Annie once offered to let Renard go, and he declined.

He's continued to be owned by Annie because the court wouldn't let him stay otherwise. She hasn't -- purposefully -- used her power over him since that summer she ran away. We get that much from his conversation with Hetty. He's still a slave, which is Not Great even with a 'kind owner' and etc, but all these issues were looked at in detail in that chapter Quicksilver: he sees this situation as best, and he kind of feels like he's atoning for his guilt.

Ditocoaf fucked around with this message at 06:14 on Nov 8, 2015

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
There's no class/socio-economic element to their relationship, so he's not a slave.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

There's no class/socio-economic element to their relationship, so he's not a slave.

1) Okay fine, sub that part of the sentence out with "The whole ownership situation is still Not Great, but" if you want.
2) I'm pretty sure "a person literally owning another person" qualifies for at least one definition of the word "slave."

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

*camera zooms in real close to my poo poo-coverd face* "OH BOY, HERE WE GO AGAIN" *laugh track plays for ten minutes while I hold your gaze, adder-like*

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Dec 1, 2016

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Annie does not own the person; she owns (owned) the doll he's trapped in. So the term would not be "slave" but "prisoner."

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Oh god I'm sorry, I really don't want to get bogged down in pedantry or any sort of argument with BOTL.

Can we agree that the magically-enforced-obedience is a less-than-ideal situation between people who have grown to become good friends, but [insert the rest of my post here. Actually, just insert the chapter Quicksilver here, which is a good chapter exploring Renard's perspective on this arrangement. That's what I wanted to talk about.] ?

EDIT: VVVVV You're hung up on the one clause in my original post tonight that was a reference to the opposite direction of the actual point I was trying to make in that post. I was talking to people who expressed distaste about the ownership thing, not expressing that distaste myself. Please stop. VVVVV

Ditocoaf fucked around with this message at 11:48 on Nov 8, 2015

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

In order to not confuse it with slavery, you need to actually think about what "ownership" here means. Since there is no class/socio-economic dimension to it, it's not a form of slavery or social inequality. "Ownership" means that Reynard has to obey his master, but since there's no element of social inequality, it cannot be parsed as anything but a relationship between people who are (in principle) equals.

Have we been reading the same comic? Annie and Renard live in the Court, where forest denizens can't go without literally abandoning their old bodies and becoming humans. There absolutely is a social inequality element there, simply because Annie is human and Renard is not. On top of that, Renard is also an actual criminal who's done jail time for goddamn murder. Oh sure, Annie might try to treat him as an equal, but that will not make the social stigma of being a murdering fox god go away.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

YF-23 posted:

the social stigma of being a murdering fox

Around fox, never relox.

Worthleast
Nov 25, 2012

Possibly the only speedboat jumps I've planned

Why does Tony have Renard at the door already? Does he just carry him around everywhere?

Also, Annie's haircut is now very out of place.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Now robots? Those are real proles.

Except robots seem to choose to do what the humans want mainly to have something to do, rather than because they're compelled to.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

a dictionary posted:

slave
sleɪv
noun
(especially in the past) a person who is the legal property of another and is forced to obey them.
I could have sworn :???: mapped to something.

Guava
Nov 10, 2009

Love's made a fool out of Bear.

Worthleast posted:

Why does Tony have Renard at the door already? Does he just carry him around everywhere?

Ha! But seriously, I would say he either saw Annie before opening the door and knew what she would want, or he walked back into the house to grab the doll and that part isn't shown so as not to mess up the pacing of the joke.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

In addition, slavery is a socio-economic relationship between classes. A master-familiar function is extremely rare in GC, so you can't really call them discrete classes. I have to obey authority figures sometimes too, but that doesnt make me a slave.

This is semantic nonsense, and you are trying to achieve correctness based on nothing but force of argument. It's pretty dumb, and also wrong, and on top of that a pretty pointless argument, so stop. No one cares about your transparent attempts at trying to push niche definitions into a position of acceptance in the Gunnerkrig Court thread.

MikeJF posted:

Except robots seem to choose to do what the humans want mainly to have something to do, rather than because they're compelled to.

I suspect the way the robots see the relationship and the way the court sees the relationship may differ.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

You see ,Tony represents the Court.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
"Griffith Annie did nothing wrong" says the goon as she exchanges ownership of another living sentient being with her father.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

"Griffith Annie did nothing wrong" says the goon as she exchanges ownership of another living sentient being with her father.

Custody, not ownership. :eng101:

Ownership belongs to Kat.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Please keep all talk of custards in GWS, thanks.

Lowen
Mar 16, 2007

Adorable.

Annie only "owns" Renard in the sense that there's this magic mumbo jumbo binding thing on the wolf doll he possessed. That could make Renard a slave, but doesn't for the sole reason that Annie is perfectly willing to release him from his magic mumbo jumbo binding thing, and Renards knows it.

Renard told her he doesn't want that because he would have to go to the forest and leave Annie. If he was actually a slave he wouldn't get that choice.

and for my closing argument, http://gunnerkrigg.com/?p=995

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Lowen posted:

Renard told her he doesn't want that because he would have to go to the forest and leave Annie. If he was actually a slave he wouldn't get that choice.

Sounds a lot more like Stockholm syndrome honestly.

ATP5G1
Jun 22, 2005
Fun Shoe
One of the things I like about this comic is that the characters, their motivations, and their actions possess some degree of nuance and detail and not everything must be Good versus Evil. I'm not sure why one would be so insistent on shoving everybody into those boxes when the alternative creates a far more rich and engrossing story.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!

Lowen posted:

well, I'm convinced.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

you were warned posted:

I laughed so hard when I saw today's page...

And this made me laugh even harder. Holy poo poo.

Yay Renard :shittydog:

Maybe we've been reading into this all wrong and Tea-san actually scrapped the entire chapter and went with this after reading the post.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Lowen posted:

Yes but what about the socioeconomic implications.

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Splicer posted:

http://gunnerkrigg.com/?p=995

amishjosh
Jul 16, 2004
Yeah

welp, i'm convinced

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ATP5G1
Jun 22, 2005
Fun Shoe

Splicer posted:

I would like to get a Marxist analysis of the relationship between Antimony and Renard