Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LostCosmonaut
Feb 15, 2014

Crash74 posted:

How nurfed is your tech tree gonna be if you play as a minor state like sweden?

Sweden will probably have a decently fleshed out tech tree, considering how developed their domestic arms industry was.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
Pretty sure if a country doesn't have specific models for tanks or whatever they'll just get medium tank II, ect.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

LostCosmonaut posted:

Sweden will probably have a decently fleshed out tech tree, considering that's where Paradox is based.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

Maybe they'll have that bullshit copper mine in Dalaskogen again.

Wooper
Oct 16, 2006

Champion draGoon horse slayer. Making Lancers weep for their horsies since 2011. Viva Dickbutt.
Peep these sweet tank tech trees:

tanks.txt
[word for tank] 1
[word for tank] 2
[word for tank] 3
[word for tank] 4
[word for tank] 5
[word for tank] 6
[word for tank] 7
[word for tank] 8

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Crash74 posted:

The long history of Paradox nerfing Sweden...

Party In My Diapee
Jan 24, 2014

Alchenar posted:

Jokes about American states getting merged for gameplay reasons but I bet every fiord on the Swedish coast is lovingly represented.

Ahistorical Swedish fjords are in.

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Tanks are kinda wasted on invading the USSR

Alchenar posted:

Jokes about American states getting merged for gameplay reasons but I bet every fiord on the Swedish coast is lovingly represented.

Well I bet they are because as far as I know there are no Swedish fjords. So gonna be pretty accurate I hope.

Groogy fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Nov 8, 2015

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Groogy posted:

Well I bet they are because as far as I know there are no Swedish fjords. So gonna be pretty accurate I hope.
Just reverse the Communist Norway shown in one of the DDs and there'll be Swedish fjords. :getin:

Party In My Diapee
Jan 24, 2014

Excellent use of the puppet mechanic.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JEPvZBDOjdc

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

If any of you haven't done Paradox's board game poll, here it is: https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/VZKLL2N

I hope you remember to mention that Paradox should make a Cold War board game.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

If any of you haven't done Paradox's board game poll, here it is: https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/VZKLL2N

I hope you remember to mention that Paradox should make a Cold War board game.
Wait, didn't Europa Universalis start as a board game?

ThisIsNoZaku
Apr 22, 2013

Pew Pew Pew!

Ofaloaf posted:

Wait, didn't Europa Universalis start as a board game?

Yep, same as Civilization.

And if they made a new EU board game that, too, would be just like Civilization.

Lustful Man Hugs
Jul 18, 2010

I think that if EU went full circle, the resulting board game would be pretty amazing.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

So in terms of managing the reformation and league war as the Emperor, what's the best strategy? Do you wait for the leagues to open, go to war and win? Or do you try and stamp out the reformation as best you can until that point?

I'm likely staying as Catholic at this point unless a surprise country like France goes reformed suddenly.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Crash74 posted:

I wouldn't be surprised if Paradox either:

A. Added unique tech trees for minor nations as post-launch patches/updates or

B. Include them in DLC for alt-hist/cold war/other settings

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

I made the suggestion that Paradox should make a board or card game out of the HOI series, but instead of just emulating what HOI already does to take it in a different direction, and to do a spiritual successor to "Up Front". I think it would be really cool. I think the games have to be dissimilar enough that you don't just say "I would rather let the computer handle all this, I'll play the PC game instead!". Maybe make a game that focuses on the HRE in EU IV time frame, but with a little more character interaction a la CKII. Perhaps a mechanically tight game of wheeling, dealing, and politicking to be elected the next emperor with variable game length to represent random life span of the current emperor.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.
You don't remember the HoI ccg, do you?

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Lichtenstein posted:

You don't remember the HoI ccg, do you?

I'll trade you a Montgomery, a Zhukov, and two Nimitzes for your holographic Hitler.

csm141
Jul 19, 2010

i care, i'm listening, i can help you without giving any advice
Pillbug
Won't be satisfied until I have a unique focus set for Luxembourg.

Get trampled by France <-X-> Get trampled by Germany <-X-> Benelux Supremacy

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.

Drone posted:

I'll trade you a Montgomery, a Zhukov, and two Nimitzes for your holographic Hitler.

I actually had three or four Rommels in the beta so we could have done the deal back then.

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003
Shoulda talked to Jeb and his hundreds of Changs.

Durendal
Jan 25, 2008

Who made you God to say
"I'll take your sheep from you?"

If you want a Cold War board game, play Twilight Struggle. It's everything you could ask for out of a game based on that theme.

Lichtenstein posted:

I actually had three or four Rommels in the beta so we could have done the deal back then.

Why am I not surprised.

Durendal fucked around with this message at 12:08 on Nov 8, 2015

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
I told them I really really want to see a Magicka board game. I think that would work way better than trying to translate any of the crazily complex map games.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

vyelkin posted:

I told them I really really want to see a Magicka board game. I think that would work way better than trying to translate any of the crazily complex map games.

AAFW. Always be AAFW. :getin:

Or would you just flip the table for the same effect?

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

IncredibleIgloo posted:

I made the suggestion that Paradox should make a board or card game out of the HOI series, but instead of just emulating what HOI already does to take it in a different direction, and to do a spiritual successor to "Up Front". I think it would be really cool. I think the games have to be dissimilar enough that you don't just say "I would rather let the computer handle all this, I'll play the PC game instead!". Maybe make a game that focuses on the HRE in EU IV time frame, but with a little more character interaction a la CKII. Perhaps a mechanically tight game of wheeling, dealing, and politicking to be elected the next emperor with variable game length to represent random life span of the current emperor.

Well rather than just pretending to be Hitler you would also get to dress up as him, for those who don't already.

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012
Stellar is as a board game :getin:

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Decrepus posted:

Well rather than just pretending to be Hitler you would also get to dress up as him, for those who don't already.

Paradox is proud to present its groundbreaking new party cardgame "Hitler Against Humanity", a game in which players attempt to escape from receiving the dreaded gold Juden card by telling only Hitler approved jokes! The other players reward the winning jokes and gas the losers!

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

IncredibleIgloo posted:

Paradox is proud to present its groundbreaking new party cardgame "Hitler Against Humanity", a game in which players attempt to escape from receiving the dreaded gold Juden card by telling only Hitler approved jokes! The other players reward the winning jokes and gas the losers!

Hmm, this reminds me of a certain Internet forum.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Durendal posted:

If you want a Cold War board game, play Twilight Struggle. It's everything you could ask for out of a game based on that theme.

Twilight Struggle is my favorite game right now, it's an amazing design. I'd really like to see Paradox take on the period too, though. Compared to other historical eras I think there is a lot of room for Paradox to do something really interesting.

unwantedplatypus posted:

Stellar is as a board game :getin:

Vivian Darkbloom fucked around with this message at 06:24 on Nov 9, 2015

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

Twilight Struggle is my favorite game right now, it's an amazing design. I'd really like to see Paradox take on the period too, though. Compared to other historical eras I think there is a lot of room for Paradox to do something really interesting.

Twilight Imperium is a hell of a drug

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
For some reason space based actual boardgames trip my "too groggy" switch extremely hard, that makes me feel as though this isn't a bad thing.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

420 Gank Mid posted:

Twilight Imperium is a hell of a drug
With the expansion, it was a good way to spend a weekend when you had no girlfriend, job or obligations.

Now, alas...

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009
jesus fucing christ this looks like it takes longer to play than warhams or battletech.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx

Oberleutnant posted:

jesus fucing christ this looks like it takes longer to play than warhams or battletech.

The set up alone takes longer.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Oberleutnant posted:

4X boardgames are a bad idea. You can have like 2 X's before the game gets too goddamn complicated for a tabletop.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Oberleutnant posted:

I got roped into playing it online once with some god awful program that had all the pieces scanned. When we were still doing the setup 3 hours later I just bailed, gently caress that.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

4X boardgames are a bad idea. You can have like 2 X's before the game gets too goddamn complicated for a tabletop.

I kind of like Seven Wonders for my 4x boardgame fix, though obviously it's not like you're painting a map your colour or anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

Battleship is the best 2X game.