Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Rookersh posted:

Uh, yeah. For the Elder Scrolls.

You know, those games with a ton of other guilds in them, with their own unique questlines/paths. Those guilds usually have at least 1-2 "good" ish questlines to go faff around on that end up being more fun then the main quest.

Or those games that feature a strong element of exploration. They usually have 5-6 towns, and each has a bunch of quests attached to them. You also have the daedric quests, which add in 7-8 very interesting quests. Oh, and outside of Oblivion, each dungeon has a chance to hold rare/special loot, like named items with specific stats. These make exploration far more exciting, as you never know what you'll find in that new area. Even without those unique weapons, there are enough different types of weapons/weapon trees that you'll constantly be finding new stuff in each location you visit, from different types of same type weapon ( Steel Axe, Steel Sword, Steel Hammer ), to new books, etc etc.

Fallout 3 had TWO towns! It had a grand total of 17 sidequests, which is hilarious when you realize Skyrim alone had something like 20-30 just basic sidequests, not even counting guilds/daedric/world quests. It had less explorable environments then Oblivion, with only 4 different dungeon model types to choose from, and it had almost no real benefit to exploration. You start with the best Pistol in the game, are given the best Small Arms gun in the game within the first hour, and almost every weapon category only has 3-4 different weapons in it. Exploring only exists to find the Bobbleheads ( basically a collectible ), and to pick up yet another 30 versions of the gun you use, so you can keep it at 100% Repair.

Does Fallout 4 have guilds/factions now? Does it have more then two towns? Does it have more then 17 sidequests? Because Fallout 3 was designed so that the main quest was all that mattered, and after that was done, you basically just go collect the remaining Bobbleheads. If Fallout 4 is the same and we already know the ending, then I hope the Settlement stuff is really well done, because it and Bobblehead collecting is probably going to be the only game left.

:yeah:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

super macho dude
Aug 9, 2014

Man, skyrim 2 is gonna be sooooo good

Starkk
Dec 31, 2008

So many people on twitch streaming console F4, why cant it be 22 hrs from now

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Rookersh posted:

It had a grand total of 17 sidequests,

That isn't the grand total, that is just the total of named sidequests that got on screen text popups. There was a ton of other quests like the Keller Family tapes and electing dave and stuff.

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

There are people here who still don't believe that Fallout 3 and 4 are basically Elder Scrolls with guns...

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Bholder posted:

There are people here who still don't believe that Fallout 3 and 4 are basically Elder Scrolls with guns...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XBlhXKjSy6M

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?

Starkk posted:

So many people on twitch streaming console F4, why cant it be 22 hrs from now

I really is annoying that if you're on console and get your game early you're golden, get to playing, but PC has to adhere to some archaic release date policy. The game is available. It's on my computer RIGHT NOW. Just let us have it.

Starkk
Dec 31, 2008

New Leaf posted:

I really is annoying that if you're on console and get your game early you're golden, get to playing, but PC has to adhere to some archaic release date policy. The game is available. It's on my computer RIGHT NOW. Just let us have it.

Yup

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Are a lot of stores breaking street date because of the leaks? Relatedly, is it worth stopping by a gamestop and being like "have you guys broken street date?"

Rodney-CK
Jun 19, 2004
I haven't watched any streams, so I hope this isn't a dumb question, but:

Is Fallout 4 enhanced with physics objects? Clothes rippling in wind/running, guns and junk swinging around as you move? Hair tossing around?

I hate to say it, but I really have been spoiled by just how pretty The Witcher 3 is. I know it probably is false hopes, but I'm hoping Bethesda took some of their Skyrim billions and did a few graphic upgrades that aren't visible in just screenshots.

VanillaGorilla
Oct 2, 2003

New Leaf posted:

On the other hand you can unlock it with a VPN at like 6 EST tomorrow morning.

discarded box
Oct 15, 2008

VanillaGorilla posted:

Is it really 6am EST? I thought it was 8am EST, anyone know for sure?

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

sector_corrector posted:

Are a lot of stores breaking street date because of the leaks? Relatedly, is it worth stopping by a gamestop and being like "have you guys broken street date?"

It's not so much because of the leaks as it is the individual retail stores not really giving a gently caress. They have stock, they put it on the shelf. Sometimes they ignore the "do not release before X" stickers.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Gonkish posted:

It's not so much because of the leaks as it is the individual retail stores not really giving a gently caress. They have stock, they put it on the shelf. Sometimes they ignore the "do not release before X" stickers.

A lot of big chain stores though have the release date baked into the cash register so if you find a leaked game at walmart or something the machine will just say "do not sell" if you try to buy it, you have to go to a store small enough they don't use some big integrated system.

Cheap Shot
Aug 15, 2006

Help BIP learn gun?

Post more cool stuff like this please. Everyone. I sure as hell don't read this thread for the several spoilers assholes didn't bother to cover with the tags. (I don't care if the plot is bad, it's still lovely to post spoilers. I'd watch more of the streams if I wanted spoilers) And I REALLY don't read this thread for people arguing about if two perks "count as VATS perks", in a sub argument about weather or not half the perks are about VATS, which is rediculous and no one gives a poo poo.

Now I know that accounts for most of the thread. I'm saying let's change that and post cool fallout related entertainment and news. Need to kill time and scratch the itch before release day. Videos like this one, that one about those two dudes in the simulated wasteland, and all the songs and rap are fantastic.

Cheap Shot fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Nov 8, 2015

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?

VanillaGorilla posted:

Day job, evening obligations, etc. Being able to play on the weekend when my wife is with her mother and her aunt at a Christmas decoration show thing would be ideal.

Colt Cannon
Aug 11, 2000

Has anyone posted a full list of the soundtrack from the radio stations? I just want to build a playlist with all the music from the game in it.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

That isn't the grand total, that is just the total of named sidequests that got on screen text popups. There was a ton of other quests like the Keller Family tapes and electing dave and stuff.

Of those 22 "quests", 17 count as side objectives for the actual 17 quests. They are attached to those quests, and would be completed alongside them. One is a side objective used to open up an area if you hosed up earlier.

2 are collectathons.

2 are actual quests, but are so small they can be completed at that location in under 5 minutes. I'd count them as world events more then quests.

They are more akin to Skyrims "radiant" quests, which I didnt count for Skyrim. I only counted voice acted, detailed quests.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Rookersh posted:

Of those 22 "quests", 17 count as side objectives for the actual 17 quests. They are attached to those quests, and would be completed alongside them. One is a side objective used to open up an area if you hosed up earlier.

2 are collectathons.

2 are actual quests, but are so small they can be completed at that location in under 5 minutes. I'd count them as world events more then quests.

They are more akin to Skyrims "radiant" quests, which I didnt count for Skyrim. I only counted voice acted, detailed quests.

nah, just look, a bunch of these are real quests, they just don't put them as prominantly in the quest log compared to skyrim: http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Fallout_3_quests#Unmarked_quests

Colt Cannon
Aug 11, 2000

Rookersh posted:

Nerdy counting poo poo

http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Fallout_4_quests - Here is a list of all the quests in Fallout 4, that are known as of right now. It is obviously full of spoilers, so don't click it unless you want it spoiled.

I still don't know the ending luckily, but I know some people get upset about quest names.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Rodney-CK posted:

I haven't watched any streams, so I hope this isn't a dumb question, but:

Is Fallout 4 enhanced with physics objects? Clothes rippling in wind/running, guns and junk swinging around as you move? Hair tossing around?

I hate to say it, but I really have been spoiled by just how pretty The Witcher 3 is. I know it probably is false hopes, but I'm hoping Bethesda took some of their Skyrim billions and did a few graphic upgrades that aren't visible in just screenshots.

I can't see a Bethesda game having hair physics but I think I've seen trees and environmental poo poo swaying around

Dohaeris
Mar 24, 2012

Often known as SniperGuy

discarded box posted:

Is it really 6am EST? I thought it was 8am EST, anyone know for sure?

Are people doing the VPN route? I'm interested in playing as soon as possible but don't want to get banned or anything.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
What's the best active stream right now?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Rookersh posted:

Does Fallout 4 have guilds/factions now? Does it have more then two towns? Does it have more then 17 sidequests? Because Fallout 3 was designed so that the main quest was all that mattered, and after that was done, you basically just go collect the remaining Bobbleheads. If Fallout 4 is the same and we already know the ending, then I hope the Settlement stuff is really well done, because it and Bobblehead collecting is probably going to be the only game left.

I think my own perception of Fallout 4 will probably be enhanced by the fact that I'm going into it with reduced expectations from the start. Everything you said about Fallout 3 is why I think it's really lackluster--fun enough to be worth playing, but not nearly the RPG behemoth that it seems to be treated as. I fully expect Fallout 4 to be "Fallout 3, but new." I'd say that I hope Fallout 4 gets a pseudo-sequel to be the New Vegas to its FO3, a game where worldbuilding and exploration aren't just emphasized over the main quest but basically are the main quest, but I doubt that'll happen in this case.

I really don't have the high opinion of Bethesda that much of the internet does, I think, games like Skyrim included.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Dohaeris posted:

Are people doing the VPN route? I'm interested in playing as soon as possible but don't want to get banned or anything.

I have never heard of a single instance of people getting banned by unlocking early via VPN, and I've done it a few times myself.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Dohaeris posted:

Nobody got banned for unlocking skyrim early.

Someone linked this earlier, hope it works. https://www.goldenfrog.com/vyprvpn

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
Yeah, if we VPN into NZ, when does this kick off?

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

AlternateAccount posted:

If it's a midnight release over there, just about 16 hours from now.

I Am Frick
Mar 26, 2004

The lesser half
of Frick and Frack

AlternateAccount posted:

Midnight Tuesday in New Zealand = 6 a.m. Monday eastern, 3 a.m. Monday pacific. I looked into it and did the math yesterday.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Any word on PS4 preload yet, others have been able to preload for like 38 hours

Mondlicht
Oct 13, 2011

if history could set you free
Sorry if it's been linked already, but here is a peek at the hairstyle/beard options. Nothing really great on the female side, as kind of expected, they have to stick to short hair to prevent ridiculous clipping probably.

Cheap Shot
Aug 15, 2006

Help BIP learn gun?

http://youtu.be/H9GsLBKu3To

Prerelease gameplay. No spoilers. Graphics are terrible. You can see some of the rubble has different resolution textures. Also get a load of the NPC's face that he talks to, and the janky punching animation. Classic Bethesda!

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1137035

this thread is amazing. it's like watching retards in their natural habitat complete with kneejerk
"preorder cancelled"

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I mean this thread is like that too

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

duct taped iPhone pip boys are my favorite pip boys

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

MinibarMatchman posted:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1137035

this thread is amazing. it's like watching retards in their natural habitat complete with kneejerk
"preorder cancelled"

It's hilarious since others on GAF have also said that bug is extremely rare.

EDIT: Heck, in his video the fps drops were 10x worse on 360 versions of Skyrim and Fallout 3/New Vegas.

Mokinokaro fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Nov 8, 2015

Cheap Shot
Aug 15, 2006

Help BIP learn gun?

Mondlicht posted:

Sorry if it's been linked already, but here is a peek at the hairstyle/beard options. Nothing really great on the female side, as kind of expected, they have to stick to short hair to prevent ridiculous clipping probably.

Wow. Who gives a poo poo about women says Bethesda I guess. :wtc:
The article counts 28 hairstyles but I only see 21. 24 if you count the three different levels of bald. The last four boxes are just showing weird body slider proportions.

Mondlicht
Oct 13, 2011

if history could set you free

Cheap Shot posted:

The article counts 28 hairstyles but I only see 21. 24 if you count the three different levels of bald. The last four boxes are just showing weird body slider proportions.

Considering they took the facial construction part of the character creation from The Sims, they could have at least taken a look at their hairstyles too.

boneration
Jan 9, 2005

now that's performance
Anyone who's watched the streams a bunch: are there radiant quests (I think that's the term) like in Skyrim? Similar to how you could walk into any bar in Skyrim and the bartender would tell you "here's a note from the jarl, go to random dungeon and get widget/kill this dragon/wipe out these bandits".

e:

Cheap Shot posted:

I saw a loading screenshot that said there was magazines that expanded the hairstyle list as well.

boneration fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Nov 8, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cheap Shot
Aug 15, 2006

Help BIP learn gun?

Mondlicht posted:

Considering they took the facial construction part of the character creation from The Sims, they could have at least taken a look at their hairstyles too.

No kidding. And only 2 of 24 hairstyles even reach the neck. Male characters even get a longer hairstyle than women (as we've seen in action on Tommy.)

• Locked thread