Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

Lakbay posted:

full map with all locations labeled: http://imgur.com/a/grh63

Good if you're a colossal sperglord like me and want to beeline bobbleheads and "You're SPECIAL" magazines so you can minmax in your already easy Bethesda game

hmm map actually looks bigger than i thought, either the scale on the ground is bigger than the map suggests or we're tripping over poo poo every 5 seconds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Infinity Gaia posted:

Softcap means "reasonable level to end the game" here, my friend. As in, levelling past such a point is unreasonably annoying or difficult. Judging from pre-release streams, betting on the 50-60 range is ideal. 280 would be the hardcap, beyond which point there would be nothing left to level.

I can't imagine they'd have you end the game right at the exact level you are able to even unlock the last tier of perks. None of them seem like overpowered post game stuff. Stuff like "In V.A.T.S every attack on the same body part gains +20% accuracy and does 20% more damage." seems like good skills but stuff that they aren't going to lock as extreme endgame stuff. I bet you are intended to get a good amount over 50.

pacmania90
May 31, 2010

Lakbay posted:

Looks like they did New Vegas style enemy scaling, in-land is early game and the swamps and coast line are end game.

New Vegas had Giant Radscorpions and Deathclaws right outside the starting town. I'm not sure what you're talking about.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
That was a microscopic pocket of high level enemies to make sure players didn't travel directly north to vegas and went around the map.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Protons posted:

If everyone has stopped remorseless shitposting, can we talk about some cool builds? How many of the New Vegas builds will translate well into FO 4? Can I make my atomic cowgirl, the cowgirl who uses energy weapons?

I plan to start with my preferred playstyle, which would be best with 7 Charisma for Party Boy and companion buffs, strength 3 for Armorer, Perception 4 for Locksmith and Rifleman, Intelligence 4 for Hacker and Gun Nut, and 8 Agility for Gunslinger and Quick Hands.

Then I've got a character I want to focus on Power armor and heavy weapons, since those are fun, so I was thinking Strength 10 for Pain Train (since you can get power armor early), Heavy Gunner, Steady Aim, and Demolition Expert and build up to the science perks that supposedly help the power armor playstyle.

I've got a few gimmick builds in mind to try out and see if any strike me as particularly fun:

The Superhero: Iron Fist, Solar Powered, Ghoulified (to make Radiation exposure a good thing), Ricochet, so he punches people and bullets bounce off him.

Grognak Cosplayer: Blitz, Big Leagues, Moving Target, Blacksmith. I want to focus this guy on things like the rocket powered Super Sledge.

Throat Cutter: Night Person, Sneak, Mister Sandman, Bloody Mess, Ninja, Big Leagues and Gunslinger for silence weapons. Just depopulate the wasteland without anyone knowing.

Mad Scientist: Intelligence 9, Perception 7 and Endurance 6 for a mad scientist that's running wild on drugs (Chemist+Chem Resistant) with Refractor, Science and robot control.

Sniper Commander: max perception and charisma gimmick, basically telling anyone who gets too close to stand down and popping the heads off the rest while sending grunts to the front lines. Gonna dress in the bossiest looking military uniform possible and take all the rifle and pacification perks.

Yeah with nigh infinite leveling one character could do any or all of this, but I find it more fun to make alts for given gimmicks. And there's the aforementioned "soft cap" that might make doing all that with one guy kind of a chore.

marshmallow creep fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Nov 8, 2015

Buff Butler
Mar 11, 2008

gamer death money
How are builds going to translate over when they essentially removed the skill system and completely changed the perk system?

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

Lakbay posted:

That was a microscopic pocket of high level enemies to make sure players didn't travel directly north to vegas and went around the map.

There were a bunch of Giant Rad scorpions on the way south, past Primm. They were off the road, but you could definitely see them. Most were off to the far side, near the map border, but a couple were in the salt flat. I suspect they were slapped in there to encourage the player to not get side tracked, but stick to the road and -you know- actually track down the guy who shot you in the head. It works on me, at least.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Buff Butler posted:

How are builds going to translate over when they essentially removed the skill system and completely changed the perk system?

It's not, people are being weird towards a game where "builds" are not relevant.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Actually builds are probably more relevant than ever in Fallout 4. There isn't THAT much experience to go around in the game, just because you can theoretically level forever doesn't mean it's reasonable to do so. Like I said, having watched a bunch of leakers, I'd guess the average player ends the game in the high 50's/low 60's range, which is pretty much just enough for a focused build considering multiple perk ranks and such. Unlike the previous two games where with minimal amounts of effort (mostly just having high starting Intelligence) you could trivially become a master of all things in vanilla.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

How do energy weapons work this time around? I saw a perk for "radiation" weapons, but none for energy weapons. Do they use the regular gun perks, or are they classified as "radiation weapons" now?

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Honestly I'm just glad skills are gone

Harrow posted:

How do energy weapons work this time around? I saw a perk for "radiation" weapons, but none for energy weapons. Do they use the regular gun perks, or are they classified as "radiation weapons" now?

Now it's more based on what mod perk you choose, picking Science! over Gun Nut would give you more stuff to mod your energy weapons

For pure damage bonus you can choose based on Heavy Weapons/Revolvers/Pistols/Rifles/Assault Rifles, regardless if they're ballistic or energy

frajaq fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Nov 8, 2015

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

frajaq posted:

Honestly I'm just glad skills are gone

Same here.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Gun-Fu's name suggests that its meant for firearms and the like, but looking at the description the perk itself doesn't say it has to be guns. So if you combine it with Blitz to automatically close the distance to a target it seems like it would let you essentially superspeed between targets for bonus damage like some kind of anime ninja.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Harrow posted:

Regular gun perks. They're now divided by type of gun rather than tech of gun, if that makes sense? So the handgun perk gives boosts to 10mm pistols and laser pistols, for instance.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

I'll be satisfied if we get anything better than Skyrim's shitshow perk system, never again. :shepicide:

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
Gun Fu seems better suited with melee/unarmed thanks to Blitz and Big Leagues, at least from the description. I'm putting it on my Idiot Savant VATS sniper (an Idiot SaVATS if you will) just to see how it works out on guns.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Buff Butler posted:

You only unlock everything hundreds of levels in where you will only get to if you play for absurdly long and unreasonable amounts of time, actually playing the game you are going to have a finite number of perk points to spend at any given time and will have to pick what you have unlocked at any point even if hundreds of hours later you could have other things unlocked too.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

Harrow posted:

There's still energy weapons. From what I gather, the damage types in this are:
-Ballistic. Basically guns and shrapnel.
-Energy. Lasers, plasma, and flames.
-Radiation. New type of damage that severely hurts humans but does dick to everything else. Works kind of like the Microwave Emitter from Fallout 3.
-Bleed. Damage over time caused by bladed weapons.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Infinity Gaia posted:

Regular gun perks. They're now divided by type of gun rather than tech of gun, if that makes sense? So the handgun perk gives boosts to 10mm pistols and laser pistols, for instance.

You also upgrade Science! or gun nut to determine if you have the best mods for regular or energy weapons, so while you can use either equally you will have better guns on one or the other (or both if you upgrade both)

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

Buff Butler posted:

You still have to distribute SPECIAL and your perks depend on it. You still get only one perk point per level. Even if you technically can grind out all the perks by level 80 or whatever, you actually have to get that far.

Again, it's just like Elder Scrolls, where you technically can max out every skill you have but it's not feasible so you'll be stronger at certain things than others.

Not sure why this lack of skill system is so alien some of you...

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Infinity Gaia posted:

frajaq posted:

Now it's more based on what mod perk you choose, picking Science! over Gun Nut would give you more stuff to mod your energy weapons

For pure damage bonus you can choose based on Heavy Weapons/Revolvers/Pistols/Rifles/Assault Rifles, regardless if they're ballistic or energy

Yep, that makes sense. That's nice--it means I can more easily experiment with both ballistic and energy weapons before committing to one or the other. I really never used energy weapons in 3 or NV.

So the "high-tech mods" in Science! refers to energy weapon mods, then? I didn't know if that's what it meant or if it meant high-tech mods for any kind of weapon (laser sights, stuff like that).

I'm going to have some hard choices to make. Getting all the perks I want would probably require me to spend at least 6 levels worth of perk points on SPECIAL stats and I don't know if that's going to be too much or not.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

You also upgrade Science! or gun nut to determine if you have the best mods for regular or energy weapons, so while you can use either equally you will have better guns on one or the other (or both if you upgrade both)

It actually depends not only on the type of base weapon, but also the type of mod being installed! Some regular ballistic gun mods require Science!, such as night sights, while some energy weapon mods require Gun Nut. It's not as simple as one providing gun mods and the other providing energy weapon mods!

Dohaeris
Mar 24, 2012

Often known as SniperGuy
Just give me a gauss rifle and power armor and I'm ready to rock. Gonna do a fairly high intelligence and charisma build I think. What VPN are people using?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Infinity Gaia posted:

It actually depends not only on the type of base weapon, but also the type of mod being installed! Some regular ballistic gun mods require Science!, such as night sights, while some energy weapon mods require Gun Nut. It's not as simple as one providing gun mods and the other providing energy weapon mods!

Ah, so I was right in how I read those. Cool.

So now that I know most people are finishing around 50-60 and that I can get one bobblehead per SPECIAL stat I suppose I can decently plan out what kind of build I'm going to go for and preemptively cry over the perks I won't get.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Starkk posted:

who did you go with friend? thank you and god bless

https://www.goldenfrog.com/vyprvpn

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

does health still go up with level independent of damage?
because i could see that getting really tedious towards the end of the level curve

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

I can't imagine they'd have you end the game right at the exact level you are able to even unlock the last tier of perks. None of them seem like overpowered post game stuff. Stuff like "In V.A.T.S every attack on the same body part gains +20% accuracy and does 20% more damage." seems like good skills but stuff that they aren't going to lock as extreme endgame stuff. I bet you are intended to get a good amount over 50.

Wow, watch out. This guy really knows game design! Hatchie matchie!

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
There's a +damage perk for unarmed; melee; big guns; non-automatic rifles; non-automatic pistols; automatic weapons; radiation weapons; and silenced weapons while sneaking.

I'm not entirely sure why they had to split non-automatic weapons into two different perks while automatic weapons get lumped into one.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

^ They probably wanted a clear divide between "sniper" and "gunslinger" builds.

AriadneThread posted:

does health still go up with level independent of damage?
because i could see that getting really tedious towards the end of the level curve

Knowing Bethesda, I'd assume that yeah, enemy health is going to go up independent of how much damage your build can do, so you're really going to want those +% damage with X weapon type perks.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

A think I feel I should emphasize for those mind-maxing:

Remember that the gun-mod abilities are for crafting, not equipping, those mods. There are ways to get mods without crafting. (There is even an NPC who noticed a unique weapons I was carrying, had dialogue for it and sold me mods for it. I don't know if it was that specific weapon or not but it would be sort of odd if it was.) You can equip any mod if you have it, just not craft.

Lowtechs
Jan 12, 2001
Grimey Drawer

Dohaeris posted:

Just give me a gauss rifle and power armor and I'm ready to rock. Gonna do a fairly high intelligence and charisma build I think. What VPN are people using?

I've used this before and they have a location in NZ https://www.goldenfrog.com/vyprvpn

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
How many discoverable locations are there, approximately?

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
Over 300

VVV Rifleman, assuming there's no full-auto shotguns in the game (I assume the Neverending enchantment doesn't count) or pistol shotguns like the Taurus Judge in real life.

Lakbay fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Nov 8, 2015

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Which of the +% perks effects shotguns?

This thread really chilled out over the weekend. The hype is real.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?

Lowtechs posted:

I've used this before and they have a location in NZ https://www.goldenfrog.com/vyprvpn

Is that Free - Limited Plan going to work? It has a 500mb limit. It just needs to see my location to activate right?

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

New Leaf posted:

Is that Free - Limited Plan going to work? It has a 500mb limit. It just needs to see my location to activate right?

It depends on if there's a day one patch or not.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
you arent going to be downloading the rest of the game on the VPN

you are basically just going to close out of Steam entirely, turn the VPN on, launch steam, unlock the game, then turn the VPN off

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
at least thats how it has always worked for games I've done this on before

Lowtechs
Jan 12, 2001
Grimey Drawer

New Leaf posted:

Get it unlocked then play it in offline mode. http://www.howtogeek.com/117424/how-to-make-steams-offline-mode-work/

Edit: Or do what Eonwe says

Lowtechs fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Nov 8, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scoss
Aug 17, 2015
I did the VPN trick with Skyrim, but it's been a long time and I'm sure I was a little nervous back then too. Just to confirm:

It's technically against the steam TOS to disguise your location, but it's pretty much an open secret that Valve has never banned anyone for doing this to unlock games early, so long as you're not trying to buy games cheap over the VPN. Is that more or less the situation?

• Locked thread