Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

Hypnolobster posted:

I bring vodka in these http://amzn.com/B000XYMYRU dump it in one of my half full water bottles with some Mio, which I always have anyways for the purposes of my necessary consistent caffeine consumption.

I can't drink whiskey without chasing it with beer. It's like concentrated heartburn.

get better whiskey!

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

Do caffeine supplements improve hiking performance for someone who's not a regular caffeine drinker? Usually all I have is an occasional diet soda.

Dunno, probably depends on the person. It's a stimulant so it might make you feel more energetic and it's basically considered one of the cheapest effective stimulants you can get

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Shop around for doctors! Always fucking shop for doctors. Doctors are stupid assholes. And they get by because people are cowed by their mystical bullshit quality of being able to maintain a 3.0 GPA at some Guatemalan medical college for 3 semesters. Find one that makes sense.

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

Do caffeine supplements improve hiking performance for someone who's not a regular caffeine drinker? Usually all I have is an occasional diet soda.
I don't know but I bring them and take them because I can't keep my energy drink fix going on the trail. Works well enough to cancel out the caffeine withdrawl headaches.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Hypnolobster posted:

I bring vodka in these http://amzn.com/B000XYMYRU dump it in one of my half full water bottles with some Mio, which I always have anyways for the purposes of my necessary consistent caffeine consumption.

I can't drink whiskey without chasing it with beer. It's like concentrated heartburn.
poo poo, that bottle would only last me for the hike in. Gotta have something to drink at the campfire too.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

I've taken Everclear and Crystal Lite pouches, makes for easy coolers that weighs nearly nothing.

Tigren
Oct 3, 2003

cheese posted:

I don't know but I bring them and take them because I can't keep my energy drink fix going on the trail. Works well enough to cancel out the caffeine withdrawl headaches.

If you prefer drinking your caffeine, the Crystal Light with caffeine is pretty good and comes in single serve packets.

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Shop around for doctors! Always fucking shop for doctors. Doctors are stupid assholes. And they get by because people are cowed by their mystical bullshit quality of being able to maintain a 3.0 GPA at some Guatemalan medical college for 3 semesters. Find one that makes sense.
Hiking & Backpacking Megathread III: Ultralight Drinking

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!
Hiking & Backpacking Megathread III: Still afraid of beers

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland
Pack those carbs into the highest ABV alcohol possible.

Comatoast
Aug 1, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
The hiker trash I've seen usually carry Fireball cinnamon whiskey.

Comatoast fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Nov 8, 2015

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Comatoast posted:

People who drink that poo poo are terrible

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

Levitate posted:

People who drink that poo poo are terrible

Thank god someone else thinks that too. It is vile and not even a good mixer.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I'm pretty sure everyone other than frat boys knows that Fireball is terrible.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Internet Explorer posted:

I'm pretty sure everyone other than frat boys knows that Fireball is terrible.

My mom drinks fireball.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Atticus_1354 posted:

Thank god someone else thinks that too. It is vile and not even a good mixer.

Pouring it into hot apple cider is probably its only legitimate use.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
Fireball is candy liquor for children who think real booze is icky.

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Verman posted:

Fireball is candy liquor for children who think real booze is icky.
Its cloyingly sweet and syrupy. Really awful.

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Problems look mighty small from 150 miles up.

Comatoast posted:

Naw, real hiker trash drink this stuff:

Available only in the finest convenience stores of Appalachia, they come in a variety of colors flavors: red, blue, green, purple, and pink. For reasons lost to time my trail maintenance group always ends up passing one of those around the campfire as a right of passage before you're allowed to touch any good stuff.

Jenny of Oldstones
Jul 24, 2002

Queen of dragonflies

eSporks posted:

Powdered Beer is a thing
I usually take some whiskey in a platypus though.

Thanks for posting this. I just...It's amazing what people come up with.

I've got one of these wine skins that I hope to put to use someday in camping trip. Right now it is just decoration in our living room.

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

Desmond posted:

I've got one of these wine skins that I hope to put to use someday in camping trip. Right now it is just decoration in our living room.

My dad had one of these from his younger days with "Fighters by day, lovers by night, drunkards by choice." written on it in black sharpie. It was in the family camping supplies for a long time. I should get one and carry on the tradition.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

I've got this guy

http://www.amazon.com/Vapur-40026-Incognito-Flask-Grey/dp/B00EMDAI44/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1447035254&sr=8-6&keywords=soft+flask

But just haven't used it. Definitely need to on my next short trip. Not sure it's worth taking on a week long trip

Speaking of, I really need to magically win the lottery or get paid a whole bunch and not have to work next year so I can do the Grand Canyon, Wind Rivers, Bighorn Crags, Sierra High Route, and some exploring in Colorado or the Trinity Alps. Then I'd have a pretty happy year.

I complain mainly because I realllllly want to get back to the Wind Rivers, but would love to go to the Grand Canyon again with my dad this year, but doing some Idaho backpacking is high on my list as is the Sierra High Route

Someone please pay me lots of money to do this

Keldoclock
Jan 5, 2014

by zen death robot
On the topic of drugs, wilderness guru Cody Lundin wrote this, in the late 90s or early 2000s.

Cody Lundin posted:

http://pastebin.com/0uiMuYXj

Of course, no advice is one size fits all.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

Keldoclock posted:

On the topic of drugs, wilderness guru Cody Lundin wrote this, in the late 90s or early 2000s.

Of course, no advice is one size fits all.

Ephedrine was my jam for years before it became impossible to buy locally. I live in perpetual fear of falling asleep behind the wheel and that stuff was amazing when I would work long overnight gigs.

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

If I were human, I believe my response would be: 'go to hell'.
So picked up an Atmos 65 per thread recommendation. Going on a trip this weekend. pack weighs 28lbs sans water (have food packed in but 2 Mountain House meals and cliff bars don't weigh like anything). That seems... very heavy, but am mentally justifying that by saying I need more stuff cause camping in Nov gets chilly. Is that good logic or am I just bad at this?

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Crazyeyes posted:

So picked up an Atmos 65 per thread recommendation. Going on a trip this weekend. pack weighs 28lbs sans water (have food packed in but 2 Mountain House meals and cliff bars don't weigh like anything). That seems... very heavy, but am mentally justifying that by saying I need more stuff cause camping in Nov gets chilly. Is that good logic or am I just bad at this?

I think you'll be fine but you can probably go lighter. My base weight with the same pack, no food or water, is 21 lb, and I haven't cut weight that aggressively.

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

I think you'll be fine but you can probably go lighter. My base weight with the same pack, no food or water, is 21 lb, and I haven't cut weight that aggressively.

I'll list off the crap I got in here:

-pack cover
-light rain jacket
-clothing (2 pairs hiking socks, boxers, baselayer, extra pair of pants)
-Grand Trunk Double Hammock (1lb 7oz)
-underquilt (900g according to site)
-down mummy bag being used as top quilt (~2-3 pounds)
-Kelty Noah rain 9x9 fly (1lbs 12oz)
-5' reflectix (weighs effectively nothing)
-Folding fiskars camp saw
-light weight stove and butane
-First aid kit probably <1lb total
-Kataydn Water pump filter
-Hiking poles (0.5lbs each according to amazon but they sure don't feel that heavy)

Tigren
Oct 3, 2003

Crazyeyes posted:

I'll list off the crap I got in here:

-pack cover
-light rain jacket
-clothing (2 pairs hiking socks, boxers, baselayer, extra pair of pants)
-Grand Trunk Double Hammock (1lb 7oz)
-underquilt (900g according to site)
-down mummy bag being used as top quilt (~2-3 pounds)
-Kelty Noah rain 9x9 fly (1lbs 12oz)
-5' reflectix (weighs effectively nothing)
-Folding fiskars camp saw
-light weight stove and butane
-First aid kit probably <1lb total
-Kataydn Water pump filter
-Hiking poles (0.5lbs each according to amazon but they sure don't feel that heavy)

Why do you need a camp saw?

Why do you need 1lb of first aid equipment?

Why do you need an extra pair of pants for what sounds like one/two days?

If you're using your hiking poles, don't add them to your total weight. They're not on your back, right?

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

Tigren posted:

Why do you need a camp saw?

Why do you need 1lb of first aid equipment?

Why do you need an extra pair of pants for what sounds like one/two days?

If you're using your hiking poles, don't add them to your total weight. They're not on your back, right?

- It's just a little guy for cutting stuff for a fire. Could certainly get by without you, you're right.

- I oversimplified. The bag containing my first aid stuff also contains toiletries, a trowl, meds, body glide stick, etc. It weighs a half pound at max.

- Because I will be camping by a stream and it has been raining a lot recently and I don't want to have wet pants while expecting temps in the low 30s. That seems like a bad idea.

- This is true. They will not be on my back for the most part.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Yeah for the average non-ultralight person 30lbs is pretty normal for multiple nights of self sufficiency.

Not sure if you'll need the saw but that's up to you and where you'll be. You can usually find all kinds of fallen wood on the ground that requires no cutting and burns just fine.

Food and water add weight very fast but it's good weight in that it gives you energy and gerrys lighter as the trip goes on.

Also for the second pants, if your temps are wet and near freezing, having dry clothes is huge if you get soaked from rain, sweat etc.

Verman fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Nov 14, 2015

Hungryjack
May 9, 2003

Make a list when you're done of the things you brought but didn't use.

Keldoclock
Jan 5, 2014

by zen death robot

bunnielab posted:

falling asleep behind the wheel

I had that same fear after a few drive-after-being-awake-48-hours situations, and normally solved it with a thermos, but just in case I ever found myself in that position again in Buttfuck, Nowhere at 2AM or whatever, a few months ago I started to keep two of these in my center console.

I've used one once, it's real handy because I can consume it with 0 planning ahead of time, without having to stop driving, any time I feel bad.

Crazyeyes
Throw away your pack cover or sew it into something more useful, pack covers are worthless. Provide waterproofing to anything that needs it (clothing, electronics) using drybags or plastic bags (ziplock or even just trash bags).

Why are you using a butane stove? The only butane stoves I know are car-camping garbage. Consider switching to an ethanol based stove like the Super Cat (this is ideal for short trips) or a purpose-built isobutane stove (you'll thank me when you're at altitude in cold weather, although if you are in truly cold weather you should be using a white gas or other liquid fuel stove). Unless when you said butane you meant isobutane, in which case, nevermind.

You might even be able to get away with using solid fuel for cooking, if you only want a little bit of hot water to make tea or w/e and are fine eating powerbars for the rest of it.

If I were you I would replace your spare pants with a pair of shorts or tights, if you can't completely get rid of it you might as well lose weight and gain versatility. I often use a pair of board shorts as my "shorts" for long trips where I'm not trying to go fast, since I can use them for swimming, but they are still OK for walking around in. Note: if you are wearing floral print board shorts while walking around town, people will try to sell you weed.

Throw away your Kataydin pump filter and get a Sawyer Mini or Aqua Mira drops.

I count hiking poles as pack weight because they are usually in my pack until I hit the steep stuff, and they're part of my shelter system.

Keldoclock fucked around with this message at 11:22 on Nov 14, 2015

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

I came up with a brilliant idea of backpacking on Baffin Island but flights there would be $6000 for me and my husband. Ouch. Travelling to the Arctic is loving expensive. We could go to New Zealand and do the same thing for half the price. Except for the fact it isn't Baffin Island. That place looks astonishing.

Edit: proof

SulfurMonoxideCute fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Nov 15, 2015

Time Cowboy
Nov 4, 2007

But Tarzan... The strangest thing has happened! I'm as bare... as the day I was born!

Picnic Princess posted:

I came up with a brilliant idea of backpacking on Baffin Island but flights there would be $6000 for me and my husband. Ouch. Travelling to the Arctic is loving expensive. We could go to New Zealand and do the same thing for half the price. Except for the fact it isn't Baffin Island. That place looks astonishing.

Edit: proof

One of my dream trips is Quttinirpaaq, which has (supposedly) the northernmost hiking trail in the world. If it's six grand to get to Baffin, I can only imagine Ellesmere is even worse.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

Time Cowboy posted:

One of my dream trips is Quttinirpaaq, which has (supposedly) the northernmost hiking trail in the world. If it's six grand to get to Baffin, I can only imagine Ellesmere is even worse.

I checked it out just for fun, and from Ottawa to Resolute would be about $7330 round trip per person through First Air. Then on top of that charter a 4 hour flight or find space on board an icebreaker to go to the park. I was looking at photos though, there are some amazing glaciers there.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Courtesy of my hiking club:

Hiking & Backpacking Megathread III: No Longer Afraid of Bears

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Then you wake up and forget that you fell asleep in a bear bag ... and assume you're inside a bear.

Or a bear comes up and has sex with you.

theroachman
Sep 1, 2006

You're never fully dressed without a smile...
Or you wake up and get shot with an AK.

Fake edit: oops, wrong thread.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
Ruins and trees are far cooler then just trees.

"Park closes at dusk" is more of a suggestion imho.

Hungryjack
May 9, 2003

I know some of you guys like Hyperlite Mountain Gear packs. they are having a 20% off sale on their Southwest line of Cuben fiber packs in different sizes.

link

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

bunnielab posted:

Ruins and trees are far cooler then just trees.

"Park closes at dusk" is more of a suggestion imho.

Where is that? It looks cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
The ruins are what remains of the Seneca Stone Cutting Mill, which is along the C&O canal. The sunset is over the Potomac river. My friend and I were checking out a new trail that connects the C&O with another park that is like 12ish miles up Seneca creek. There are apparently two trains, one on each side of the creek, so it could be a great overnight trip with no back-tracking. However, they are very poorly marked and mapped, so I am glad we went on a scouting trip, we couldn't even find one of the trail heads, and the other we would have never found in the dark.