Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
I'm angry cause the boss of Chapter 2 keeps slamming down my party with Earth Tremors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

It's a counter, only attack one at a time

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Cake Attack posted:

It's a counter, only attack one at a time

Ah! Thanks.

Decus
Feb 24, 2013
If you haven't put the Eagle Eye + Information quartz from the prologue boss on anybody yet you probably want to do that--it gives decent elements and you've got to have at least one character who wouldn't mind losing a slot to it early on. The Information part of it displays text below each enemy's little stat pop-up, hinting at things like "uses massive tremors when damaged" or "explodes when killed" or "can use this status ailment", while the eagle eye part displays enemies on the map sooner so you can have an easier time pre-emptive striking or avoiding combat entirely. All in all, two pretty useful things.

I got so mad at explode when killed and other stuff in FC before I realized information at least warns you about it so you can plan ahead without learning the hard way.

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

With the release of SC, I figured it was finally time for me to finish up my playthrough of FC. Things are pretty rad and all (I'm on chapter three) but I've got a question:

Does the Temp Librarian Plus sidequest expire once you leave for the Leiston Fortress or whatever plot? The wiki says it does, but the game plot-locked its completion ever since I got to Elmo Village and it's kind of really annoying me because I'm not sure when, exactly, I was expected to do the quest.

I've done literally every other sidequest in the game, hidden and not, and it would be kinda frustrating to be locked out of 100% quest completion because of this.

dmboogie fucked around with this message at 09:00 on Nov 8, 2015

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Slowly playing my way, chapter 3 done now.
Thoughts:
Amalthea is a bloody idiot.

Called it, said every player and their little dog too upon the reveal. To be fair, the characters really couldn't have seen it coming.
I liked Estelle's reaction afterwards though.

Oh hey it's time for the traditional spy on the villains cutscene with our player powers. Did Weissmann just say that? Weird sense of humor, but it was a decent joke.
Oh wait he was serious? Buddy, you should start thinking about what you'll do without teeth instead of indulging flights of fancy. But by all means, who am I to stop you.

And Kevin, Kevin is cool. I liked his line before the hail mary.

EDIT: oh wait I hadn't reached the official end of chapter yet: Nial, you're a good guy.

Omobono fucked around with this message at 12:03 on Nov 8, 2015

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

I like Father Kevin's deep dark secret. He may seem like a friendly warrior-priest, but the terrible truth is that he is...a friendly warrior-priest.

DUN DUN DUNNNNNNN

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

without love it cannot be seen

dmboogie posted:

With the release of SC, I figured it was finally time for me to finish up my playthrough of FC. Things are pretty rad and all (I'm on chapter three) but I've got a question:

Does the Temp Librarian Plus sidequest expire once you leave for the Leiston Fortress or whatever plot? The wiki says it does, but the game plot-locked its completion ever since I got to Elmo Village and it's kind of really annoying me because I'm not sure when, exactly, I was expected to do the quest.

I've done literally every other sidequest in the game, hidden and not, and it would be kinda frustrating to be locked out of 100% quest completion because of this.

You're basically required to do Temp Plus part 1 before Elmo is required. Elmo locks out pretty much everything for reasons.

In SC news, I accidentally triggered the Chap 8 end before I could do the Grancel monsters. Not going back though, Zeiss's hidden was so mind-numbing, even with Cloak, that I don't want to have to do it again for a while. Plus I missed some early stuff.
Hope the sepith shop wasn't overly great, because that's missed for me.

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

dmboogie posted:

You're fine. You'll be free to wander all over the place before heading to Leiston. The point of no return is also clearly signposted.

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Munin posted:

You're fine. You'll be free to wander all over the place before heading to Leiston. The point of no return is also clearly signposted.

Whenever I try to head south of Zeiss for the second part of the quest Joshua tells me I'm going the wrong way, though.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

you go to leiston twice. if you just have joshua in the party, it's fine and not the point of no return.

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Cake Attack posted:

you go to leiston twice. if you just have joshua in the party, it's fine and not the point of no return.

Oh, alright, cool! Thanks for clearing that up.

Decus
Feb 24, 2013
Is it? I'm pretty sure he's locked out if he went to Elmo for plot reasons and not just casual visit (which you need for the quest anyway). As I remember it you're meant to do those quests ASAP right when you first enter Zeiss since once you bring Tita to Elmo everything will be impossible to complete.

Save on like page 10 or something at the end of every chapter.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

someone buy me an estelle avatar already!

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Cake Attack posted:

Find one you want and a quote and I'll consider it.

Related, if someone could find a good Anelace avatar (SpaceDrake?), I'd be grateful.

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

dmboogie posted:

Whenever I try to head south of Zeiss for the second part of the quest Joshua tells me I'm going the wrong way, though.

Oops, sorry. Yeah, that is not the point of no return I'm talking about. As Cake attack says you'll be back.

BearDrivingTruck
Oct 15, 2011

You see the most shocking sights sometimes
If the enemy gets a Sepith Up turn bonus, can they take some of your Sepith? I have a sneaking suspicion that I won't like the answer.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

im almost positive they don't

BearDrivingTruck
Oct 15, 2011

You see the most shocking sights sometimes

Cake Attack posted:

I'm glad, even though it's almost certainly inconsequential.

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

Cake Attack posted:

From what I could tell they certainly could in FC. That said the amount is generally inconsequential.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Cake Attack posted:

I think Dilbert is giving away avs in the adtrw Halloween thread, but he's incoherently drunk posting again so I'm not 100% sure.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Sakurazuka posted:

I think Dilbert is giving away avs in the adtrw Halloween thread, but he's incoherently drunk posting again so I'm not 100% sure.

i've seen what happens when he tries to buy people avatars, i'm not going to risk it

smenj
Oct 10, 2012

BearDrivingTruck posted:

If the enemy gets a Sepith Up turn bonus, can they take some of your Sepith? I have a sneaking suspicion that I won't like the answer.

They might be able to reduce the amount you get at the end of a battle or something, but I've never ever lost sepith after a battle, even if I was only facing one monster who hit my entire party with aerial on a sepith up turn. So most likely not.

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

Quick potential FC script (not scripting) bug:

If you visit the gates just before the raid on Erbe Royal Villa the guards at Gurune Gate mention the lockdown that is currently underway, however the guards at Sanktheim Gate are still talking about simply about still being on high alert. Is that the correct dialog for Sanktheim?

Also, random translation/japanese version question. How are all the German names rendered in the Japanese version? I presume that the German names ARE present in Japanese version as well.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

If you're worried about enemies getting Sepith Up, just hit Tita's Cannon Impulse and make it rain.

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof
When doing this picture taking sidequest, is there a place to stand that makes the picture better? Whenever I stand, Estelle just goes like, "I guess this is an okay place." If it matters, I currently have Estelle, Agate, OLIVIER, and Dorothy in my party. Can't I just make her take the picture?

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Yes, you should be able to ask for help on that.

Decus
Feb 24, 2013

Capsaicin posted:

When doing this picture taking sidequest, is there a place to stand that makes the picture better? Whenever I stand, Estelle just goes like, "I guess this is an okay place." If it matters, I currently have Estelle, Agate, OLIVIER, and Dorothy in my party. Can't I just make her take the picture?

Make her take the picture or I don't think you even can get full BP. You can get up to +1 with Estelle, but Dorothy's genius is required for a full +2

evilalien
Jul 29, 2005

Knowledge is born from Curiosity.

smenj posted:

They might be able to reduce the amount you get at the end of a battle or something, but I've never ever lost sepith after a battle, even if I was only facing one monster who hit my entire party with aerial on a sepith up turn. So most likely not.

No, they can definitely make you lose sepith from your current total amount. At least that is how it worked in FC.

Alard
Sep 4, 2011

Capsaicin posted:

You can, the option should come up after you have estelle try I believe.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
Started Chapter 5 of SC last night. Aside from a few little bugs here and there it has been an incredibly fun experience. They really tug at the heartstrings when they need to. Game feels a lot more difficult than FC. Tougher fights see enemies with weird immunities and abilities, tons of HP, etc. The status quartz don't seem so good this time around.

Quartz question: when is the earliest it's reasonable to put together White Gehnna (or the better version that Joshua had in Chapter 4?) on a caster?

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

I'm a sucker for the particolar plot beat that happens in chapter 4, when I reached it there was a sudden onset of rain. Indoor. Strange thing really.
Then we switch back to Olivier being an idiot and I'm left wondering, is he a competent guy that pretends to be an idiot or is he a competent guy so laidback he's upside down? Is there even any difference? I guess I'll discover when his secret comes out.

I think White Gehenna is possible by chapter 4 at the earliest? Maybe chapter 3 on Olivier or Schera? Action, ep cut and ep 3 meet the time/space/mirage requirements, then a fourth slot for the requisite 4 wind value.
The upgraded version is 18 time 6 each of wind space and mirage. You can actually unlock it with only basic quartz, Action, EP and EP cut 4 plus evade 4 or similar. You can buy those in chapter 5, but the septium cost is kinda high. 600 time for action 4, 600 space 400/400 time mirage for EP cut, 300 mirage 200/200 for EP 4, and 300 wind 100 mirage for the wind quartz, since you really don't want a Shield quartz in a spellcaster setup.
Total, 1200 time 800 space 800 mirage plus orbment upgrade costs, since lvl 4 quartz want an upgraded slot.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Omobono posted:

I'm a sucker for the particolar plot beat that happens in chapter 4, when I reached it there was a sudden onset of rain. Indoor. Strange thing really.
Then we switch back to Olivier being an idiot and I'm left wondering, is he a competent guy that pretends to be an idiot or is he a competent guy so laidback he's upside down? Is there even any difference? I guess I'll discover when his secret comes out.

I think White Gehenna is possible by chapter 4 at the earliest? Maybe chapter 3 on Olivier or Schera? Action, ep cut and ep 3 meet the time/space/mirage requirements, then a fourth slot for the requisite 4 wind value.
The upgraded version is 18 time 6 each of wind space and mirage. You can actually unlock it with only basic quartz, Action, EP and EP cut 4 plus evade 4 or similar. You can buy those in chapter 5, but the septium cost is kinda high. 600 time for action 4, 600 space 400/400 time mirage for EP cut, 300 mirage 200/200 for EP 4, and 300 wind 100 mirage for the wind quartz, since you really don't want a Shield quartz in a spellcaster setup.
Total, 1200 time 800 space 800 mirage plus orbment upgrade costs, since lvl 4 quartz want an upgraded slot.

Thank you, that's super useful. I need to re-quartz my team since I've sort of been throwing on things willy nilly and not taking a good long look at my setups. I don't have a decent earth or fire caster (earth kind of hurt me in ch4). Lots of wind though! I farmed Poms a bit in Chapter 3 so I have about 2k of each sepith now. A lot more Earth sepith thanks to fishing up Rockeaters.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Chapter 4: stop making me feel, game.
Chapter 5: I said stop. Also, of course those two are drinking buddies.
Chapter 6: What did we say on feelings game?
Estelle is great
Estelle is great
Estelle is AWESOME.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
I have finished Chapter 8. My journey is coming to an end.

I'm really hoping Chapter 9 blows my socks off.

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Twenty-five dollars and a six pack to my name
As a person who loved the story in FC but hated its combat system I must say I'm pretty bummed with the amount of fights in SC. And they're unfair, too, like the 5 giant worms in ch. 2 who are just spamming area based attack constantly and I can't do anything about it. Please tell the game gets better in that regard or there's a cheatcode to skip the fights. Not to mention everything takes so goddamn long, I might consider following Cake Attack and use cheatengine to speed the fights up.

Story's super fun as usual, you can really see the love put into the translation.

Decus
Feb 24, 2013

Terminally Bored posted:

As a person who loved the story in FC but hated its combat system I must say I'm pretty bummed with the amount of fights in SC. And they're unfair, too, like the 5 giant worms in ch. 2 who are just spamming area based attack constantly and I can't do anything about it. Please tell the game gets better in that regard or there's a cheatcode to skip the fights. Not to mention everything takes so goddamn long, I might consider following Cake Attack and use cheatengine to speed the fights up.

Story's super fun as usual, you can really see the love put into the translation.

Use the information quartz or the information+eagle eye quartz. The enemy descriptions tell you when they'll spam stuff so you can strategy around it/not get spammed.

Fights are pretty fair. Debuff enemies, buff allies, read information to not fall into traps. Use impede when you can.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Terminally Bored posted:

Trick with those worms is to only attack one at a time. If you don't attack them, they don't spam the big AoE attack on their turn. I haven't encountered an unfair fight yet, even the ones with optional win conditions.

Bland
Aug 31, 2008

Winner Of The TRP I dont actually remember the contest im pretty high right now here's your venkys tag

Levantine posted:

Trick with those worms is to only attack one at a time. If you don't attack them, they don't spam the big AoE attack on their turn. I haven't encountered an unfair fight yet, even the ones with optional win conditions.

The only bullshit fight I've seen so far is (Chapter 7 spoilers) The fight against Renne atop the tower where she opened the fight with a Crit Bonus S-Craft which insantly killed Tita and crippled everyone else, only for them to be promptly finished off by the army of loving spider jerks that followed her up. Reloaded and it turns out the crit bonus was just incredibly bad luck, go figure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Twenty-five dollars and a six pack to my name
Thanks, I'll try that fight again. Still would help if it didn't take half an hour to retry it each time.