Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Welcome to the Casual Let's Play thread, formerly the 2007 LP thread! Relax, chill out, and enjoy some low-effort but high-quality LP's by your friends and mine.

This thread is for people who don't want to go the extra mile to spit-shine their LP to perfection, or get caught up in editing for hours on end. If you want to post your LP just to entertain people and aren't concerned with being informative, drop it here! Did you record a whole game live or do a live stream that you think is worth saving for posterity? Chop it up into chunks and post it here! Basically: If you don't want to make a thread for your LP, this is the thread for you.

:justpost: :justpost: :justpost:

If you're asking, the answer is yes. The subforum's usual standards of quality are significantly loosened here, so if you're nervous about it or are unsure, just go for it. What do you have to lose, anyway?

There's only really one rule: Please don't debate the ethics/social effects/etc of having a casual LP thread here. If you must, do that in the Sandcastle, where LP subforum-related discussion is usually had. Also don't bother calling somebody out on what is/isn't a casual LP, nobody cares. If someone makes a bad LP then it'll be ignored and they'll stop posting. But it's hard to make a bad LP anyway so don't worry about it.

Other than that, good luck and have fun! :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

This is a small sampling of what can be found in this thread, in case you want a quick series to watch or want an idea of what a casual LP looks like. Entries to this list are not added automatically; I reckon at some point there will be far too much for me to keep track of on a by-post basis. Therefore, if you would like to be on this list please send me a PM or email me at cjacobssa(at)gmail.com and I will track your LP and add it here as it unfolds.

by CJacobs (that's me!)
Episode 1 - It's Shoveling Time!
Episode 2 - For Shovelry!
Episode 3 - Justice in Spades!
Episode 4 - Let's Get Digging!
Episode 5 - Shovels Aweigh!
Episode 6 - I Can Dig It!
Episode 7 - I'll Be Your Shield!

by Blind Sally, guest starring nine-gear crow, Artix, Poorlywrittennovel, CJacobs, ChaosArgate, and Cirvante
Chapter 1, 2002 - The Only Winning Move Is Not To Coldplay
Chapter 2, 2003 - I'd Go To The Party With You But There's Snow Patrol In My Car
Chapter 3, 2004 - Don't Wanna Be A Corellian Idiot
Chapter 4, 2005 - Dash Rendar's Time Is Running Out
Chapter 5, 2006 - Dash Rendar Will Never Die But You Will.

by Blind Sally
Turok: Dinosaur Hunter Remastered - 1 - Hub Ruins
Turok: Dinosaur Hunter Remastered - 2 - The Jungle (with ACES CURE PLANES)
Turok: Dinosaur Hunter Remastered - 3 - The Ancient City (with Artix)
Turok: Dinosaur Hunter Remastered - 4 - The Ruins (with nine-gear crow)
Turok: Dinosaur Hunter Remastered - 5 - The Catacomb (with nine-gear crow)

by nine-gear crow
MISSION 1 - Janus | Commentary | No Commentary
MISSION 2 - Hyperion | Commentary | No Commentary
MISSION 3 - Tethys | Commentary | No Commentary

by Blind Sally, guest starring CJacobs
EXTREME UPDATE 1 - PLANET SCORCH 7 & FERRO LUPUS: COMMENTARY / NO COMMENTARY
EXTREME UPDATE 2 - PLANET ATLANTIS POINT & RAE GROOSHA: COMMENTARY / NO COMMENTARY
EXTREME UPDATE 3 - PLANET BASTION & IGOR RANCID: COMMENTARY / NO COMMENTARY

Castlevania: Symphony of the Night by Wayne
Playlist (Parts 1-26 + Bonus Episodes)

in New Game ++, by NGDBSS
Playlist

by Angrymog
Episode 1 - Tutorial and Firelink Shrine
Episode 2 - High Wall of Lothric, Part 1
Episode 3 - High Wall of Lothric, Part 2

by mikeycp
Playlist
Episode 1 - The Stranger
Episode 2 - Groundwork
Episode 2.5 - Channelwood Lore
Episode 3 - Ewok Village
Episode 3.5 - Stoneship Lore
Episode 4 - Rough Waters
Episode 5 - Lost at Sea
Episode 6 - Maestro
Episode 6.5 - Selenitic Lore
Episode 7 - Rocket Man
Episode 8 - Rollercoaster
Episode 9 - Get in Gear
Episode 9.5 - My Personal Hell
Episode 9.75 - Mechanical Lore
Episode 10 - Goose Chase
Episode 11 - A Bit Late
Episode 12 - The End Begins
Episode 13 - Garbage Puzzle
Episode 14 - The Ends

by Wayne
Playlist

by Lizard Wizard
Part 1 - Sword and Fruit

by Spikeguy
Playlist

by Spikeguy
Playlist

by Spikeguy
Playlist

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Nov 9, 2017

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

I'll start things off with the first episode of Shovel Knight! Today our hero begins his adventure and sets out for the Tower of Fate to defeat the Enchantress and save his beloved, Shield Knight.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
I paid 40 bucks for this poo poo: Project Cross Zone (SSLP)

Prologue 1

Tae fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Nov 10, 2015

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

oh man PxZ and Shovel Knight already I'm being pampered over here :allears:
(mind putting updates in the SSLP checker? things could get hella elongated.)

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Fists of Furious Talking

Prologue 2

Tae fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Nov 10, 2015

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Tae I am enjoying this but you may wanna slow down a bit because screenshot LP posts get super tall when there's a bunch in a row. :v:

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?

CJacobs posted:

Tae I am enjoying this but you may wanna slow down a bit because screenshot LP posts get super tall when there's a bunch in a row. :v:
Or use the SSLP test poster as I think that helped the roguelike megathread become a bit more manageable.

Also I have that you jacobs will finally be the one to complete a Shovel Knight LP on the forums; you'd think that wouldn't be such an insurmountable task...but I've been proven wrong three times.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Holy poo poo XZone is already more nuts in its crossovers than Endless Frontier :psyduck:

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
it's amazing, and I've never heard of it whatsoever. :allears:

(you might want to identify the NPCs' origins too. Juri's from SF, DURAL's from VF, and our "demons" are none other than the legendary Red Blaze himself, Firebrand, the Red Arremer from Ghosts N Goblins and Gargoyle's Quest! )

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Dunno who they are. If others want to point them out, feel free cause the game already assumes people have played Namco vs. Capcom, Endless Frontier, Endless Frontier 2, and memorized each super niche cast's villains to fully "get" their point in the plot.

And yet somehow it sold well enough to get a sequel.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Tae posted:

Endless Frontier, Endless Frontier 2

Oh we're gonna go places...

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Tae posted:

Dunno who they are. If others want to point them out, feel free cause the game already assumes people have played Namco vs. Capcom, Endless Frontier, Endless Frontier 2, and memorized each super niche cast's villains to fully "get" their point in the plot.

And yet somehow it sold well enough to get a sequel.

Honestly, I had to look up Juri, and I never played past Virtua Fighter 2, but Dural was always in those.

Firebrand on the other hand, I know a thing or two about...

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I'm violently ill! Here's an episode of Shovel Knight!

On this episode, Shovel Knight liberates Pridemoor Keep and the Lich Yard, defeating King Knight and Specter Knight, a dastardly duo that stand in the way of his path to the tower.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Niggurath posted:

Also I have that you jacobs will finally be the one to complete a Shovel Knight LP on the forums; you'd think that wouldn't be such an insurmountable task...but I've been proven wrong three times.
True that; at this point I kinda want to see how that thing ends.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

The Sword that Cleave(ages) Evil!

Prologue 3

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Someone fix this lady's botched boob job. Also, does this game really need 3 prologues?

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
Huh, interesting how they gave one of suzzuku's fan dances to Kaguya.

Yes I actually played Endless Frontier and my only regret is the End-Of-The-World walls of HP I broke myself upon.

hopeandjoy posted:

Someone fix this lady's botched boob job. Also, does this game really need 3 prologues?

Every mashup in the Super Robot Wars vein does. Because it has to introduce everyone, get their tie-in rehash plots started AND get the games amalgamation plot started. Sometimes I'm amazed these games only need 3 prologues to do so.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

For the record, you're right, the bad guys in that section were straight out of Dark Stalkers 3 (both the demon dude, and the bee girls). The things that look like Tonberries in space suits I don't have a clue.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

I don't know what weirds me out more, the fact that Haken and Kaguya live in the Tinkerbell or the fact that the game went for two scenes without making a boob joke at Kaguya's expense. That is some serious restraint on the part of Banpresto.

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?

SSNeoman posted:

I don't know what weirds me out more, the fact that Haken and Kaguya live in the Tinkerbell or the fact that the game went for two scenes without making a boob joke at Kaguya's expense. That is some serious restraint on the part of Banpresto.

Just give it time.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

hopeandjoy posted:

There's 5 prologues.

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Perspective

This is Perspective. It's a short little puzzle game from 2012 that was developed as a student project. I remember I heard about it a while back here on the forums, and it's pretty fun. It'll only take you maybe an hour to get through your first time, so we'll be seeing all of it in this one video. I'd really recommend checking it out, It's available for free right here.

http://seewithperspective.com/

This is my first project here, so this was all pretty off the cuff for me and I figured out the editing as I went. Expect lots of mumbling and some less than insightful commentary in this video. Enjoy.

Spudd
Nov 27, 2007

Protect children from "Safe Schools" social engineering. Shame!

But will you actually finish an LP of Shovel Knight because so far everyone just seems to give up pretty early on.

crab avatar
Mar 15, 2006

iŧ Kë3Ł, cħ gøÐ i- <Ecl8
We're #BADATGAMES and we're usually not very knowledgeable about what we play, but we have tons of fun doing it. We're pretty much just using YouTube as an excuse to take valuable time out of our busy schedules to sit down and play games for extended periods, under the guise of being creative.

Fingers crossed that I'm not gonna get probated for posting completed/ongoing LPs! I'm hoping to post these in chunks if it's allowed. Enjoy!

Part 1: SUPER FUCKIN' PUMPED
Part 2: DIED IN A SEX SHOP
Part 3: LOOK MOM I'M IN A STRIP CLUB
:synthy: Playlist

Part 1: IT IS ON FIRE
Part 2: SCORPIONLIONBAT
Part 3: BASE LARD
:synthy: Playlist

edit: BTW, our other ongoing series fits this thread as well but for our River City Ransom VLP I made a separate thread since we just started playing it.

crab avatar fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Nov 11, 2015

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Wait, no Shovel Knight LP has been finished yet? Looks like this is the perfect opportunity to finish an entire Plague Knight LP before a proper Shovel Knight one does. Time to start recording.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Spudd posted:

But will you actually finish an LP of Shovel Knight because so far everyone just seems to give up pretty early on.

Yes!

Today, Shovel Knight takes on the incredibly wealthy diver-pirate Treasure Knight, then prepares for his journey further into the second third of the Order of No Quarter's territory. Along the way, he meets a Kickstarter-based threat that will surely test his mettle.

JamieTheD
Nov 4, 2011

LPer, Reviewer, Mad Welshman

(Yes, that's a self portrait)

Wanamingo posted:

Perspective

This is Perspective. It's a short little puzzle game from 2012 that was developed as a student project. I remember I heard about it a while back here on the forums, and it's pretty fun. It'll only take you maybe an hour to get through your first time, so we'll be seeing all of it in this one video. I'd really recommend checking it out, It's available for free right here.

http://seewithperspective.com/

This is my first project here, so this was all pretty off the cuff for me and I figured out the editing as I went. Expect lots of mumbling and some less than insightful commentary in this video. Enjoy.

Hey, it was a relatively entertaining showing of a game that, while interesting, doesn't have a whole lot to talk about unless you're willing to go into perspective tricks in art or somesuch, and takes half an hour to finish. I would also recommend checking it out. :)

Spoiler joke below.

Sadly, Wanamingo vanished after making this LP, although his posts occasionally turned up, sometimes the right way up, sometimes upside down, sometimes curved. Mods are looking into the issues

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

CJacobs posted:

Yes!

Today, Shovel Knight takes on the incredibly wealthy diver-pirate Treasure Knight, then prepares for his journey further into the second third of the Order of No Quarter's territory. Along the way, he meets a Kickstarter-based threat that will surely test his mettle.

:eng101: Actually, water really isn't that good at letting light true. In the sea, it's already pitch black like 50 or 100 meters down. Doesn't have much to do with density.

At the bottom of the ocean, the water is very dense. The density plus some weird chemical tricks makes it so that there's actually puddles of liquid CO2 sitting there. And there's also a whole bunch of methane ice. Both are greenhouse gases and there's a lot of it - if those escape and bubble up, we'd have a bit of a problem.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Carbon dioxide posted:

:eng101: Actually, water really isn't that good at letting light true. In the sea, it's already pitch black like 50 or 100 meters down. Doesn't have much to do with density.

At the bottom of the ocean, the water is very dense. The density plus some weird chemical tricks makes it so that there's actually puddles of liquid CO2 sitting there. And there's also a whole bunch of methane ice. Both are greenhouse gases and there's a lot of it - if those escape and bubble up, we'd have a bit of a problem.

Product of Pressure, temperature and density :science:
So if the oceans really do warm up a bit say hello to recent history's biggest dutch oven prank.

except we all die.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
I know Reize (and his boomerang) shows up in Valdis Story, anything else that guy forced himself into?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

anilEhilated posted:

I know Reize (and his boomerang) shows up in Valdis Story, anything else that guy forced himself into?

Valdis Story and Shovel Knight are the only two so far, but his... ahem, dedication to the character is perhaps a bit out of the ordinary. Also he's kind of a jerk.

We will meet all 4 of the kickstarter backer boss fights before the end of the LP. There's actually one more director for a day tier backer, but he designed an enemy type instead of a boss fight.

Carbon dioxide posted:

:gonk: Oh god not the fartwater

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Nov 12, 2015

Dr. Tough
Oct 22, 2007

CJacobs posted:

Valdis Story and Shovel Knight are the only two so far, but his... ahem, dedication to the character is perhaps a bit out of the ordinary. Also he's kind of a jerk.

:lol: he's a black weeaboo who's in the military

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Prologue 4: Jackpot! Characters from Who-The-gently caress-Knows

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
That's.... Certainly a mashup of characters :psyduck:

At least the X in the title is appropriate for 'cross ALL the things.'

Major_JF
Oct 17, 2008

CJacobs posted:

Yes!

You could have made things a little easier on yourself by using that treasure collection chalice you got.

If you have an empty chalice do you get free refills?

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

EponymousMrYar posted:

That's.... Certainly a mashup of characters :psyduck:

At least the X in the title is appropriate for 'cross ALL the things.'

Wait til next update. It is both more cohesive yet even more random. Bruce Willis is involved.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Major_JF posted:

You could have made things a little easier on yourself by using that treasure collection chalice you got.

If you have an empty chalice do you get free refills?

If you go all the way back to the troupple king I believe you do, and fishing rod refills are always free, which is nice.

Dr. Buttass
Aug 12, 2013

AWFUL SOMETHING

CJacobs posted:

Also he's kind of a jerk.

Holy poo poo, he actually has a public blacklist of artists he won't commission, what a loving doucheberet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Deep, deep underground lies the den of the appropriately-named Mole Knight and his army of magic fireballs and instant death lava. Will Shovel Knight be able to take the heat?? (yes. yes he can. i mean how else would he fight plague knight afterward?)