Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

Trailer

Crazy Ex-Girlfriend is a musical comedy created by Aline Brosh McKenna & Rachel Bloom, which airs Mondays at 8PM Eastern on The CW.

quote:

In the new series, which was originally developed for Showtime, Rebecca Bunch (Rachel Bloom) is a successful, driven, and possibly crazy young woman who impulsively gives up everything – her partnership at a prestigious law firm and her upscale apartment in Manhattan – in a desperate attempt to find love and happiness in that exotic hotbed of romance and adventure: suburban West Covina, Calif. (it’s only two hours from the beach! Four in traffic). From CBS Television Studios, Crazy Ex-Girlfriend stars Rachel Bloom (“Robot Chicken”), who also serves as executive producer along with Aline Brosh McKenna (“The Devil Wears Prada”); and Marc Webb (“500 Days of Summer,” “The Amazing Spider-Man” films).

Don't believe the title?

It's in the show's main theme!

Make no mistake, The CW made the right choice to pair this with Jane the Virgin on Monday nights because they're both strongly female-friendly, if not feminist shows. The title is sure to put people off, but people who are quick to criticize the title as a gross term are very likely the same people who would enjoy the show a ton. Don't judge a show by it's title! Also each episode features usually 2 or 3 original songs performed by the cast.

Cast

quote:

Rachel Bloom as Rebecca Bunch
Vincent Rodriguez III as Josh Chan
Santino Fontana as Greg Serrano
Donna Lynne Champlin as Paula Proctor
Pete Gardner as Darryl Whitefeather
Vella Lovell as Heather Patel

Lastly, if you are not familiar with Rachel Bloom's work (she also writes and performs on the show, along with the musical numbers - as does the rest of the cast), check out her youtube channel. It also has the songs from the show (and some more explicit versions of them), but the songs pretty much go hand-in-hand with Bloom's original stuff. Take a sample of both and see if it's something you like. For example:

gently caress Me, Ray Bradbury
I Steal Pets
We Don't Need a Man
Die When I'm Young

Also, original songs from the show (not really spoilery):

"West Covina" - the show's big opening number
"The Sexy Getting Ready Song"
"Feeling Kinda Naughty"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

If this had any decent marketing, Rachel Bloom would be the new Felicia Day.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

If either of these numbers had appeared on Inside Amy Schumer (rather than this show, which is simultaneously mis-marketed and under-marketed), they would have gone viral for sure, and inspired all sorts of think-pieces on sites like Slate, Salon, and Huffington Post. Amy Schumer is awesome, but her show has never had anything quite so polished and perfect as these two musical numbers -- hilarious, subversive, raunchy, feminist -- all while being spot-on pop music parodies.

Needless to say, I'm enjoying the hell out of Crazy Ex-Girlfriend, and watching Rachel Bloom in action is like seeing a star being born. What can't she do?

JUICY HAMBUGAR
Nov 10, 2010

Eating, America's pastime.
It amazes me that this show is on the Pretty People Doing Things Network and that some of the actors even look almost like normal people you would expect to see in a suburban law office (especially compared to some major CW offenders like The 100 where the global apocalypse must have been some virus engineered to kill all the people who weren't natural 9s or 10s).

Anyway I think this is my favorite new show this season already and well on its way to being my favorite show I'm keeping up with.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate
This is the best show no one is watching and it makes me so sad

JUICY HAMBUGAR posted:

It amazes me that this show is on the Pretty People Doing Things Network and that some of the actors even look almost like normal people you would expect to see in a suburban law office (especially compared to some major CW offenders like The 100 where the global apocalypse must have been some virus engineered to kill all the people who weren't natural 9s or 10s).

This always bugs me about the 100 but the CW does seem to be moving away from being the Pretty People network

Phoon
Apr 23, 2010

This is the best show on tv atm imo

Popcornicus
Nov 22, 2007

This is my favorite show right now. Rachel Bloom is a ridiculously awesome singer and actor. Here's some positive press for people who are on the fence: Vice article that convinced me to watch, AV Club review of the pilot, AV Club review of episode 4.

The show's marketing made it look like a godawful generic sitcom. The ratings would be way higher if they'd advertised it as a quirky musical comedy.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I like that they didn't do the expected thing of

Rebecca: says something crazy
Valencia: what?
Revecca: says something sane that sounds similar

And just had her repeat her craziness verbatim.

#spider's #spiders #spiders'

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
I'm at work so I can't check and chances are I won't remember to anyways but is this on Hulu or Amazon or anything?

FetusSlapper
Jan 6, 2005

by exmarx

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

I'm at work so I can't check and chances are I won't remember to anyways but is this on Hulu or Amazon or anything?

It is probably on Hulu, but apparently they have no free streaming at all anymore so I can't be sure.

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
I watched the first two episodes on Hulu and the third on the CW website. It was before the fourth episode aired, so I imagine they're available for free viewing on Hulu a week after the original airdate.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
http://www.cwtv.com usually posts episodes the day after they air, which is nice.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
If your cable provider has an on-demand service, the episodes should show up on that too.

I'm loving this show, but I wish they would stop dedicating so much time to Mrs. Hernandez' monologues. They're really out of place.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

http://www.cwtv.com usually posts episodes the day after they air, which is nice.

I'm West Coast, and most shows hit about an hour after they end here. CW is wonderful that way.

Phoon
Apr 23, 2010

Jamesman posted:

If your cable provider has an on-demand service, the episodes should show up on that too.

I'm loving this show, but I wish they would stop dedicating so much time to Mrs. Hernandez' monologues. They're really out of place.

I think they're building to a very loud song from her

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
I watched the first few episodes, since your thread piqued my interest and really enjoyed them. Then I realised that Rachel Bloom also writes this and that I saw some of her youtube stuff ages ago. Now I believe that she deserves a lot more attention.

Does anyone know anything about the ratings of the show? I was initially put of by the title (It sounds like a mean spirited show about a psychopath who stabs the name of her ex into her chest, rather than a light hearted musical.) and I imagine that other people where as well. It would be a shame if this gets chancelled before the end of the first season.

Why does CW have so many cool shows with strong female leads and absoluely awful titles and even worse marketing? Someone should get fired for that.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

The ratings are pretty much non-existent.

I don't dislike the title of the show though, but I can imagine it would put some people off.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
I love the show and adore Rachel Bloom, but I discovered it thanks to positive Internet buzz after the premiere. I've watched and enjoyed plenty of shows with bad titles or marketing campaigns that don't accurately represent the shows: iZombie, Terriers, Buffy the Vampire Slayer. I also LOVE musicals.

But all those factors combined will work against the show finding any kind of mainstream audience, I'm afraid. I am always stunned by how many people vehemently hate musicals, even if they like music just fine when people aren't bursting into song and dance routines between conversations.

Corley
Feb 2, 2010

Watched the first few episodes of this and I love it. Glad I read about it here or I would have never checked it out given the title/advertising.

Philip Rivers
Mar 15, 2010

EL BROMANCE posted:

The ratings are pretty much non-existent.

I don't dislike the title of the show though, but I can imagine it would put some people off.

The title is horrible. I still haven't checked it out but there's pretty much zero chance I would have ever watched it if I didn't know it was actually a good/feminist show.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
The last episode really made me sad.

Rebecca seeing that she could actually be happy letting go of her irrational infatuation for Josh and "settling" for Greg, but then actively sabotaging herself and choosing to live an unhealthy life.

Her being self-aware of how hosed up she is but being unable to help herself is just way too tragic for my fun musical comedy times. :(

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

Philip Rivers posted:

The title is horrible. I still haven't checked it out but there's pretty much zero chance I would have ever watched it if I didn't know it was actually a good/feminist show.

While I hate the title, I have to admit, it is descriptive. Blooms character has a sligth mental imbalance. iZombie is in the same situation. And while I never watched "Jane the virign", that title doesn't give me any reason either. It's like CW specifically chooses names which are as terrible as possible, while still technically fitting.

But what would be a better title?
Just being completly undescriptive would probably work best. "Rebecca Bunch" sounds like nothing at all. "The Rachel Bloom show" is way to generic. "West Covina" might work, but that might lead to disputes with the actual town. (I wasn't quite sure, if that town exists, but it does and their homepage is actually quite well organized and fast.)
I'm not a marketing expert, so I can't think of a good title, but I know that the current one sucks.

I am really glad that this thread exists, since it is the only thing which made me give this a chance and I really suggest everyone on the fence to try this series out.

violetdragon
Jul 27, 2006

RAWR

Jamesman posted:

The last episode really made me sad.

Rebecca seeing that she could actually be happy letting go of her irrational infatuation for Josh and "settling" for Greg, but then actively sabotaging herself and choosing to live an unhealthy life.

Her being self-aware of how hosed up she is but being unable to help herself is just way too tragic for my fun musical comedy times. :(

"Settling" isn't necessarily a good idea. If she doesn't feel anything for Greg, she shouldn't date him. She does need to chill the hell out about Josh, though.

Air is lava! posted:

While I hate the title, I have to admit, it is descriptive. Blooms character has a sligth mental imbalance. iZombie is in the same situation. And while I never watched "Jane the virign", that title doesn't give me any reason either. It's like CW specifically chooses names which are as terrible as possible, while still technically fitting.

I think iZombie is the name of the comic the show is based on.

Jane the Virgin is amazing. I just started watching it on Netflix. If you like Crazy Ex-Girlfriend, you'll most likely enjoy it too. Pairing them on the same night was a great choice.

I'm not totally sure why people call the show feminist. It certainly throws in feminist commentary and seems to be aware that it's core premise is hosed up, but... it's core premise is hosed up.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

violetdragon posted:

"Settling" isn't necessarily a good idea. If she doesn't feel anything for Greg, she shouldn't date him. She does need to chill the hell out about Josh, though.

By "settling," I mean she was having a great time with Greg and wasn't even thinking about Josh during the entire date. The whole "I don't need to be with Josh to be happy. I can find another guy or hey maybe no guy at all!" prospect that was presented to her and she was fully aware of this and actively decided against it to go for the unhealthy choice. The whole theme of the episode. With the butter and everything.

Just a very :smith: thing to do. Rebecca you quit your job and left New York because of how unhappy you were now you're just putting yourself into another unhappy situation. :smith:

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

I love Rachel Bloom and I think it's awesome that she got a show, I hope the CW gives it more time for an audience to find it. On any other network it'd be doomed, but fortunately the CW doesn't really have anything else lined up.

Air is lava! posted:

"West Covina" might work, but that might lead to disputes with the actual town. (I wasn't quite sure, if that town exists, but it does and their homepage is actually quite well organized and fast.)
The state agency I work for has an office in West Covina, and I now can't deal with anyone there without thinking of the song. Also based on the one or two times I visited it the show's general image of West Covina is pretty accurate.

Phoon
Apr 23, 2010

violetdragon posted:

I think the idea is she declares internally that it would be settling very early, as an excuse not to do it, has a great time and is suddenly faced with the possibility of a healthy relationship which she is terrified of so she sabotages it immediately.

She even seems to realise this and is on the verge of some sort of growth/breakthrough but as always Josh appears at that moment and she seizes the opportunity to stop confronting her failings.

I've been enjoying the Josh scenes they've been very careful to have the interactions be positive - lots of compliments etc - without having them ever actually seem to have anything in common.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe
Rebecca pushed the awfulness pretty hard this episode, but then redeemed things at the end. It's gotta be tough writing a character that's deeply flawed but still likable enough that the audience enjoys watching them.

Was nice seeing things more from Josh's perspective, and it looks like we'll get to see even more of that next week.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate
I would go to Father Bro's church.

violetdragon
Jul 27, 2006

RAWR

sbaldrick posted:

I would go to Father Bro's church.

^Father Brah

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
"Paula, Paula, I have a weird tampon thing happening"

Phoon
Apr 23, 2010

Getting real with Karen

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

Good, bad. I'm the one with the power of Shu, Heru, Amon, Zehuti, Aton, and Mehen.
College Slice
I have nothing insightful to add, just wanted to chime in as a huge fan (both of the show and Bloom generally). Also to recommend people watch Rachel Bloom Is a Triple Threat and the Sugar Ray short musical. Pretty sure she links to those on her website, but if not, her YouTube channel should!

filthychimp
Jan 2, 2006
Damned dirty ape
The only reason I even noticed this show is because I'm from West Covina...

We're less than an hour from the beach, thank you very much.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

filthychimp posted:

The only reason I even noticed this show is because I'm from West Covina...

We're less than an hour from the beach, thank you very much.

Then why is "two hours from the beach, four in traffic" you official city motto? Are you implying that TV is lying to us?
According to google maps you would need pretty much exactly 2 hours if you took the bus. Maybe they ment that.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Oh hey there's a thread for this show! I love this show. Female-centric musical dramedies are my favorite genre and it is a very very specific genre so it is not easy finding things to watch.

yay :buddy:

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
So what's the engine of the show? What happens in the typical episode besides musical numbers?

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

Golden Bee posted:

So what's the engine of the show? What happens in the typical episode besides musical numbers?

Rachel Bloom making irrational decissions and being absolutely adorable. While the cast is quite good in general, it's fair to say that she carries the show.

On a deeper level it's about the concept of happiness and the implausibility of a simple soloution for emotional distress. Blooms character is quite broken. And on some level she realises it, but at the same time she goes out of her way to lie to herself, because the alternative would be that she's not sane. It's quite sad, really.

ricro
Dec 22, 2008

Golden Bee posted:

Intense crushing on Rachel Bloom, mostly

Phoon
Apr 23, 2010

She tries to get closer to her ex boyfriend and usually does something awful as a result and then (sometimes) tries to redeem herself

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

It's mainly about a smart, successful, charming woman, who nonetheless has a huge blind spot when it comes to herself and her love-life, and the consequences thereof. It's very sharply written and has handled topics like mental illness and abandonment issues pretty well so far.

• Locked thread