Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Percelus
Sep 9, 2012

My command, your wish is

some goons did

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

I think Derek Smart is interesting and entertaining, sure you could just dismiss him as a giant arsehole who freely admits to enjoying trolling everyone, but then again nobody is perfect.

But it does seem increasing likely that an awful lot of people who put time, effort or money into Star Citizen are going to be massively disappointed. As such it's interesting to me to look into the people trolling him via more than one twitter account and, of the few I've looked into, they all come back to either whales with a lot of money "invested", streamers or leaders of the larger pubbie organisations with vested interests in Star Citizen doing well.

Sure he gets a lot of grief too, just for being him but if he turns out to be even half right about all the bad stuff going on and especially the money remaining, we're going to have to get used to him being a hero and that's going to be a major shock to people who've been round the internet awhile. I fully expect he's going to be absolutely insufferable about it too.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

A Neurotic Jew posted:

I still don't get why more journalists haven't looked into what's actually going on with this game - either to confirm what's been said or to report that's everything is going fine. You would think that after the escapist article other journalists would want to get in on what it is a pretty major story in gaming, even if it were just to say "we've looked into this and there is no evidence behind the escapist and derek smart". There was that one Kotaku reporter who said he's heard stuff and that the escapist article was "unprofessional", but they still haven't touched it.

It's not like CIG is some major publisher where they would need to worry that much about a long term relationship, either. I know it's a lovely industry and everything, but that's precisely why I would expect a bunch of exposes for clicks.

I'd wager there are are very few journalists at gaming websites, just people who like to write about games

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

starkebn posted:

I'd wager there are are very few journalists at gaming websites, just people who like to write about games

I'd say there are more people who dislike writing about games but like the paychecks from writing about games.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
I am sorry I had to slack off on the thread lately. How did the nazi interview go? Have Bootcha released his new video? Why is Serpah's new account only probated?

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Paladinus posted:

I am sorry I had to slack off on the thread lately. How did the nazi interview go? Have Bootcha released his new video? Why is Serpah's new account only probated?

it was boring and made more of a ruckus in this thread than anywhere else

beats me

beats me

edit: oh yeah there was this and like five pages of anime

Victory Position fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Nov 9, 2015

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard
Star Citizen has no leaks...

and no investors...

JainDoh
Nov 5, 2002

Omar strollin'

AP posted:

Sure he gets a lot of grief too, just for being him but if he turns out to be even half right about all the bad stuff going on and especially the money remaining, we're going to have to get used to him being a hero and that's going to be a major shock to people who've been round the internet awhile. I fully expect he's going to be absolutely insufferable about it too.

Plausible, but he'll pull something before then. I don't know what, but it'll be spectacular.

And then, when everyone knows he's right and would grudgingly respect that? They won't even be able to do that much.

I Greyhound
Apr 22, 2008

MusicKrew Dawn Patrol

Paladinus posted:

1) uneventful 2) no 3)because 6 hour probations can be finalized by a mod alone with no oversight, so they're used to temporarily take care of an issue until a longer probation/ban can be reviewed by a second party.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Thanks. See you in ten pages, lads.

Goredema
Oct 16, 2013

RUIN EVERYTHING

Fun Shoe

One Winged Angel posted:

gently caress me! You guys I just realized something: Star Citizen would be better in every way if it were a car combat MMOFPS instead of a space combat MMOFPS. You could still have it be a scifi setting, just have it be frontier worlds like in Borderlands. Have there be giant portals between planets you could drive through and fight for control over or some poo poo. All that flight model balance and controller scheme balance bullshit goes right out the window!

Erin Roberts, if you're reading this thread, please hear my plea:

Once your brother runs CIG into the ground like some Noonan-owned chip shop, please acquire the video game rights to Redline, the high-concept anime remake of Hanna Barbara's Wacky Racers. Make it into a semi-persistent car racing MMO, complete with weird and retarded upgrades to the "cars" players drive, like rocket engines and stylish hair upgrades and stylish-hair-seeking missiles. This needs to happen.

Goredema fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Nov 9, 2015

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

Goredema posted:

Once your brother runs CIG into the ground like some Noonan-owned chip shop, please acquire the video game rights to Redline, the high-concept anime remake of Hanna Barbara's Wacky Racers. Make it into a semi-persistent car racing MMO, complete with weird and retarded upgrades to the "cars" players drive, like rocket engines and stylish hair upgrades and stylish-hair-seeking missiles. This needs to happen.

So... a modern rock and roll racing. I could get behind that. I also want to see a modern Road Rash.

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

IT WOULD NOT BE DIFFICULT MEIN FUHRER!

grimcreaper posted:

So... a modern rock and roll racing. I could get behind that. I also want to see a modern Road Rash.

Redline is the poo poo. Watch it as soon as you get the chance.

Amun Khonsu
Sep 15, 2012

wtf did he just say?
Grimey Drawer

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

On the First day of Backing Chris Roberts gave to me
a Sunk Cost Fallacy

On the Second day of Backing Chris Roberts gave to me
Two Echo Chambers
and a Sunk Cost Fallacy

On the Third day of Backing Chris Roberts gave to me
Three Lead Producers
Two Echo Chambers
and a Sunk Cost Fallacy

On the Fourth day of Backing Chris Roberts gave to me
Four Mocap Studios
Three Lead Producers
Two Echo Chambers
and a Sunk Cost Fallacy

On the Fifth day of Backing Chris Roberts gave to me
Five Stretch Goals
Four Mocap Studios
Three Lead Producers
Two Echo Chambers
and a Sunk Cost Fallacy

On the Sixth day of Backing Chris Roberts gave to me
Six Pre-Alphas
Five Stretch Goals
Four Mocap Studios
Three Lead Producers
Two Echo Chambers
and a Sunk Cost Fallacy

On the Seventh Day of Backing Chris Roberts gave to me
Seven Devs a-Quitting
Six Pre-Alphas
Five Stretch Goals
Four Mocap Studios
Three Lead Producers
Two Echo Chambers
and a Sunk Cost Fallacy

On the Eighth Day of Backing Chris Roberts gave to me
Eight Staff a-Firing
Seven Devs a-Quitting
Six Pre-Alphas
Five Stretch Goals
Four Mocap Studios
Three Lead Producers
Two Echo Chambers
and a Sunk Cost Fallacy

On the Ninth Day of Backing Chris Roberts gave to me
Nine Lesnicks Dancing :lesnick: :lesnick: :lesnick: :lesnick: :lesnick: :lesnick: :lesnick: :lesnick: :lesnick:
Eight Staff a-Firing
Seven Devs a-Quitting
Six Pre-Alphas
Five Stretch Goals
Four Mocap Studios
Three Lead Producers
Two Echo Chambers
and a Sunk Cost Fallacy

On the Tenth Day of Backing Chris Roberts gave to me
Ten Mods a-Banning
Nine Lesnicks Dancing :lesnick: :lesnick: :lesnick: :lesnick: :lesnick: :lesnick: :lesnick: :lesnick: :lesnick:
Eight Staff a-Firing
Seven Devs a-Quitting
Six Pre-Alphas
Five Stretch Goals
Four Game Dev Studios
Three Lead Producers
Two Echo Chambers
and a Sunk Cost Fallacy

On the Eleventh Day of Backing Chris Roberts gave to me
Eleven White Knights Crying
Ten Mods a-Banning
Eight Staff a-Firing
Seven Devs a-Quitting
Six Pre-Alphas
Five Stretch Goals
Four Game Dev Studios
Three Lead Producers
Two Echo Chambers
and a Sunk Cost Fallacy

On the Twelfth Day of Backing Chris Roberts gave to me
Twelve Lawyers Suing
Eleven White Knights Crying
Ten Mods a-Banning
Eight Staff a-Firing
Seven Devs a-Quitting
Six Pre-Alphas
Five Stretch Goals
Four Game Dev Studios
Three Lead Producers
Two Echo Chambers
and a Sunk Cost Fallacy

Just in time for the holidays woot \o/

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

grimcreaper posted:

http://store.steampowered.com/app/300380/ ?

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.
"My faith is faltering... Help!"

quote:

"SQ 42 is a lot like Fallout 4 right now - see a ton of it has been made in secret behind closed doors and while there is some rumours of what went on for the most part the story has been kept pretty decently under wraps."

Um, Fallout 4 is releasing in 27 hours. Squadron 42 won't be out in 27 weeks...

G0RF fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Nov 9, 2015

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Goredema posted:

yea but why not have a good dev make it?

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx

Amun Khonsu posted:

Just in time for the holidays woot \o/

Once it becomes apparent that a lot of CIG staff have been waiting for the holidays before bailing, this is going to get heavy rotation.

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh

:sigh:

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

yea but why not have a good dev make it?

yeah its clear that if anyone currently making spacegames should make that it's hello games, the no man's sky guys, who are predominantly ex-criterion guys

Raskolnikov
Nov 25, 2003

DoctorStrangelove posted:

Amun Khonsu
Sep 15, 2012

wtf did he just say?
Grimey Drawer
edit

Amun Khonsu fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Nov 9, 2015

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
games in space, space games

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Research confirms that black is a color like silver is a color, and that beyond black is clarity.

Also whoever suggested a modern Road Rash is my best friend I never knew I had.

Amarcarts
Feb 21, 2007

This looks a lot like suffering.
Could you imagine how stunned the community would be if CIG officially renamed the game to Queef Citizen?

Imagine telling your wife you blew the kids' college funds on a game called Queef Citizen

Queef Citizen

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
I'd like them to be all TA DAA!!!! and release a 2D sidescrolling platformer with puzzle elements

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

peter gabriel posted:

I'd like them to be all TA DAA!!!! and release a 2D sidescrolling platformer with puzzle elements

That'd be an improvement on everything they've shown to date.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

CrazyTolradi posted:

That'd be an improvement on everything they've shown to date.

That is why there would be a TA DAA!! sound instead of a parp my freind

EminusSleepus
Sep 28, 2015

it does not take a rocket science nor be a software developer to know that scope creep is not good for development, in any development for that matter

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot
hey CIG true believers i just picked up a neat looking space game Starpoint Gemini for 9 bucks and does a lot of what SC claims to do. How you like them apples?

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice

Agrajag posted:

hey CIG true believers i just picked up a neat looking space game Starpoint Gemini for 9 bucks and does a lot of what SC claims to do. How you like them apples?

Shoulda picked up SG2, SG1 is kinda dire and 2 has DLC that adds the campaign for 1 into the game anyway :shrug:

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

3 posted:

Shoulda picked up SG2, SG1 is kinda dire and 2 has DLC that adds the campaign for 1 into the game anyway :shrug:

it's SG2 i was just too lazy to add the 2. it's on steam sale hence the 9 bucks.

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice

Agrajag posted:

it's SG2 i was just too lazy to add the 2. it's on steam sale hence the 9 bucks.

Ah. SG2 is a good spaceships game, if a little (extremely) European. It's also optimized terribly for some reason, but fun nonetheless.

to0terfish
Apr 4, 2015

Pork Pro
https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/294701/tired-of-waiting/p1

lol

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret

Goredema posted:

That may or may not be actually something in my planned future. If it were, it'd be part of City of Tokusatsu.

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx

quote:

P.S. Most games this size take 5 to 7 years to develop. SC is at 3 years.

the amount of time it takes to make a videogame keeps increasing.

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

quote:

great first post. kudos

edit: I do hope the magic of the new space ships makes up for the penis magic... once the game is done you won't need that old thing anymore.

yeeeah i think i value my dick working more than anything jpeg related there buddy

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

Will do. Always looking for interesting shows to watch.

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

Holy crap that looks like it could be fun. Thanks for the link.

I love this thread. Every game suggested in it has been inherently better than star citizen simply by existing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

IT WOULD NOT BE DIFFICULT MEIN FUHRER!

grimcreaper posted:

Will do. Always looking for interesting shows to watch.

It's a movie but yeah, watch it.

• Locked thread