Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TASTE THE PAIN!!
May 18, 2004

HATE WILL IT RUN POSTS

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

Turtlicious posted:

Building a new gamer PC and this game is the reason why.

A productivity PC with a $150 GPU should probably get the job done

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Magmarashi posted:

Exercise Restraint.

F5 forever. :colbert:

The Droid
Jun 11, 2012

TASTE THE PAIN!! posted:

HATE WILL IT RUN POSTS

The Droid
Jun 11, 2012

Die roll checks are bad, see Wasteland 2, a game I will never attempt to replay and finish because that would mean reloading countless RNG-based skillchecks.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

The Droid posted:

Die roll checks are bad, see Wasteland 2, a game I will never attempt to replay and finish because that would mean reloading countless RNG-based skillchecks.

Just accept the first result and move on, playing this way is your fault.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Lakbay posted:

Yay someone labeled where the bobbleheads are on the in-game map:

Anything not on there is in Boston they said.

Judging by the enemy level map someone posted earlier, all of the SPECIAL bobbleheads aside from Perception seem to be in some of the most dangerous parts of the game. May want to take that into account when making your builds. Intelligence and Strength aren't on there though.

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

Reason posted:

Just accept the first result and move on, playing this way is your fault.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
Oh my god a competent streamer that actually manages their inventory and upgrades their equipment: http://www.twitch.tv/dualface_genobee

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
I like how Bethesda has handled percentage speech checks this time around - the writing is so bad, and the story is so linear that I don't even care if I pass them or not. That's just streamlined design.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I haven't even watched the streams and now I kind of want to just... not get this.

Which I probably should have predicted, because it's Bethesda, and I was never all that enamored with Fallout 3.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

Lakbay posted:

Oh my god a competent streamer that actually manages their inventory and upgrades their equipment: http://www.twitch.tv/dualface_genobee

DOG CAN WEAR ARMOR?!

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

i never really cared if i passed them or not so rather than reload a save like a giant sperg i just kept playing

and you can too

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Lakbay posted:

This guy has been playing a lot and so far the only bugs he spotted was graphic glitches like being inside a building and in some parts you can see the sky and poo poo like that.

Crabtree posted:

DOG CAN WEAR ARMOR?!

$4,99

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Lakbay posted:

Yay someone labeled where the bobbleheads are on the in-game map:

Anything not on there is in Boston they said.

I can't wait to find my old lovely apartment and blow it sky high.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

NecroMonster posted:

i never really cared if i passed them or not so rather than reload a save like a giant sperg i just kept playing

and you can too

Percentage-based checks where you never get another shot are lovely when they're tied to a skill you have to invest your limited points into. There's nothing quite so demoralizing in a game with skill builds like that as failing a critical check and then thinking about all the better things you could've put your skill points into.

That said, I've never seen a video game do persuasion checks well anyway. It's always just "pick the thing that says PERSUASION from the dialog menu and you'll get a better result."

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

Lakbay posted:

He's staring at the goddamn wall and talking about bullshit, 10/10 stream

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

Harrow posted:

Percentage-based checks where you never get another shot are lovely when they're tied to a skill you have to invest your limited points into. There's nothing quite so demoralizing in a game with skill builds like that as failing a critical check and then thinking about all the better things you could've put your skill points into.

That said, I've never seen a video game do persuasion checks well anyway. It's always just "pick the thing that says PERSUASION from the dialog menu and you'll get a better result."

this is all true but also you can just not care that's an option

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

NecroMonster posted:

I'd put money on it that the same people who complain about the % based checks forcing them to save scum also reload and set their skill levels up to pass skill checks in NV all the time, too.

The Droid
Jun 11, 2012

NecroMonster posted:

Fallout was never about the graphics, or the story, or the setting, or the rpg mechanics, or character building, or roleplaying, or gameplay, fallout is abou

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.
I'm going to hatefuck this game so bad.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
It's some fail when I can plan a character around being able to pass checks with a transparent, obvious system that encourages roleplaying. It's some win when I can get the epic dialog options randomly, like pressing a slot machine lever.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

The Droid posted:

Fallout was never about the graphics, or the story, or the setting, or the rpg mechanics, or character building, or roleplaying, or gameplay, fallout is abou

t hoarding thousands of dandy boy apples and tin cans

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

frajaq posted:

This guy has been playing a lot and so far the only bugs he spotted was graphic glitches like being inside a building and in some parts you can see the sky and poo poo like that.

$4,99

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

The Droid posted:

Going into a subway tunnel and looking at a skeleton with a knife in it and then picking up three 20 pound fusion batteries that I will never conceivably use while coming up with some epic loving stories about the knife skeleton in my mind.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Magmarashi posted:

I'd put money on it that the same people who complain about the % based checks forcing them to save scum also reload and set their skill levels up to pass skill checks in NV all the time, too.

Actually no. I'm cool with not getting to pass a Speech check in New Vegas because I haven't leveled my Speech high enough yet, or coming back to places to unlock/hack things I couldn't before. I'd be annoyed if I had leveled it high enough to have like an 85% chance and failed it, though.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

NecroMonster posted:

The easiest way to not care is to not buy or play the game in question. Who's with me?

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

psure yeah fallout games are about tooling around in a wrecked rear end wasteland full of broken poo poo and crazy weirdness these days sorry people who obsess about the black isle days

spoiler: not actually sorry

The Droid
Jun 11, 2012

Harrow posted:

Actually no. I'm cool with not getting to pass a Speech check in New Vegas because I haven't leveled my Speech high enough yet, or coming back to places to unlock/hack things I couldn't before. I'd be annoyed if I had leveled it high enough to have like an 85% chance and failed it, though.

Yeah

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

I don't like that a good 25% of the map is ocean. Seems like a cheap way to increase the size of the map...

The Droid
Jun 11, 2012

NecroMonster posted:

psure yeah fallout games are about tooling around in a wrecked rear end wasteland full of broken poo poo and crazy weirdness these days sorry people who obsess about the black isle days

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Can we get a skill check roll on this

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

I only pray, Heaven knows when to lift you out
Oh god he's jumping in water

Are there underwater enemies?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

NecroMonster posted:

Fallout: New Vegas lets you do all that tooling around a wrecked rear end wasteland with crazy weirdness part and also manages to have a compelling story with cool branching paths and all that neat poo poo. It ain't mutually exclusive unless you're Bethesda.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

but this is bethesda

Apple Craft
Mar 8, 2012
Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray :cry: Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray
Do you think that rat-faced bitch will build a house and fill it with cabbages?

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro
I'm not watching streams because I don't want spoilers but I would like to know whether there's enough water content to make aqua boy worth it.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

NecroMonster posted:

but this is bethesda

I know :smith: I have no real grounds to be disappointed, I knew this was going to be "Fallout 3 but newer," but I guess I just like to post bad posts.

skimothy milkerson
Nov 19, 2006

JoshTheStampede posted:

I'm not watching streams because I don't want spoilers but I would like to know whether there's enough water content to make aqua boy worth it.

What does your heart tell you?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

enraged_camel posted:

I don't like that a good 25% of the map is ocean. Seems like a cheap way to increase the size of the map...

maybe there's a diving bell and a mermaid kingdom

• Locked thread