Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Gitro posted:

You have to pick two people for GOTO's yacht

In my last playthrough that was Visas and Kreia or nothing as the other party members didn't get their health restored between loading screens which leads to them dying in about 2 seconds against the HK-bots.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gitro
May 29, 2013
Atton started the Twin Suns fight at about half health and his final solo bit one hit from death in my last playthough :v:

Nuebot posted:

Atton/Mira/T3. I'm going neutral so no Hanharr.

Yeah I got through that by level cheesing and letting Atton go down ten times a fight. That and the shock arm. Poison grenades are really good if you can live long enough to get one off and run away though.

Another thing dragging the game down for me: There's a ton of heavy armour, some of it even looks pretty good! Except I can't think of any character to use it on. Handmaiden can use it from the start but I don't see why I should level her before making her a Jedi, Atton needs a feat to use it and he's fairly dex based, Bao-Dur can't use heavy armour at all, Mandalore's armour can't be changed, the droids and Hanharr can't use it and Mira is pretty heavy on the dex. Heavy armour blocks most force powers, so you can't really use it as a consular, and even if you want to do melee combat the best melee buff also gets blocked by armour, so why bother giving Kreia or Visas the feats to use it?

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Heavy Armor pretty much has no use but Light and Medium can be kinda sweet if you're playing a Blaster-exile for the ridiculous defensive bonuses.

Gitro
May 29, 2013
I was thinking of doing a blaster exile at some point, but wouldn't you still be better off running crit shot/master speed or anything/master speed? I don't think I ever saw any medium armour that allowed power use. Sadly when I was starting my melee playthrough I got literally no armour until the end of Telos, and I already had knight speed by the time some dropped. Those extra attacks are just too good. Also speed is just too useful for tedium saving, but it's not like you're ever short of casters for it.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Gitro posted:

I was thinking of doing a blaster exile at some point, but wouldn't you still be better off running crit shot/master speed or anything/master speed? I don't think I ever saw any medium armour that allowed power use. Sadly when I was starting my melee playthrough I got literally no armour until the end of Telos, and I already had knight speed by the time some dropped. Those extra attacks are just too good. Also speed is just too useful for tedium saving, but it's not like you're ever short of casters for it.

Yeah I pretty much just use the other party members for buffing. Feels kinda besides the point to min-max to that level while doing a gimmick run. Besides, it's not like you get locked out of anything irreplacable outside of force speed, most powers are still useable.

Gitro
May 29, 2013
But if I'm not maximising the amount of red numbers I make pop out of enemies or spraying lightning everywhere what's even the point? It probably won't matter by endgame but I did want to go assassin and sneak attack everything, and I think the Insanity line is restricted by armour. If it's not then sweet, I can actually rock armour until I stack so much dex it becomes obsolete.

I find most of the buffs aside from speed or the resistance ones too fiddly to bother with. Either enemies die too fast or kill me too fast for a twenty second boost to matter, or I have to keep recasting them before combat and :effort:

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

I had somehow completely forgotten that prestige classes are even a thing. This is what I get for trying a completely darkside save the masters run.

MiddleOne has a new favorite as of 13:35 on Nov 8, 2015

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
I made everyone go heavy armor before realizing heavy armor was complete poo poo and everyone dies less with medium armor on anyway, and jedi can actually use their powers with some of it.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

The one thing that sort of drags the first KotOR down (I say sort of, because I must've finished that game a dozen times by now) is the ridiculous difficulty spike with the final Darth Malak fight.

If you're playing a light side character who isn't a guardian, you'd better hope you have 50 energy shields and enough drugs to kill a krayt dragon in order to survive a sword fight against Malak (and even then you'll probably want to cheese it by using medkits from the inventory), and god help you if you forgot to max out your Force Resistance skill. Even if you're using ridiculous overpowered gear from mods, it's still a tough fight especially for consulars. No other fight in the entire game (except maybe the Taris duel arena stuff if you're saving your levelups) is anywhere near as hard.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

KOTOR really loving wanted you to play a strength based Guardian for some reason.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

kazil posted:

Why would one buy a game called Farm Simulator 2015 if one did not want to do boring, monotonous tasks?

That's the paradox of the game: the boring, monotonous tasks that make it an outstanding Podcast Game can quickly become tasks you need to focus or pay attention to.

Xoidanor posted:

KOTOR really loving wanted you to play a strength based Guardian for some reason.

RPGs became a lot easier for me when I realized that most of them are (intentionally or not) designed to be easiest/most fun as a Strength/Melee/Warrior character. Fallout is the only one that strikes me as bucking that trend.

Namarrgon
Dec 23, 2008

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!
KOTOR and Planescape Torment are the only games I can remember where the combat was so loving terrible I had to quit somewhere midgame, restart and make a character with the help of some guide to make sure it didn't get curbstomped in combat.

Bar Crow
Oct 10, 2012
Real time with pause combat is just terrible. I have never seen a good implementation of it.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

I just finished Dragon Quest Heroes and I was disappointed that there wasn't a point where the entire group fights on the field at the same time

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Has anyone who liked Trails in the Sky played the first Legend of Heroes on the PSP? That game seemed like the most bog standard, boring JRPG I've ever played and didn't really have anything to recommend it. I probably would have quit 2 or 3 hours in but I was a captive audience when I was playing it. It seems like the series must have undergone some pretty big changes between that game and Trails in the Sky but maybe other people's tastes are just wildly different than mine.

MisterBibs posted:

RPGs became a lot easier for me when I realized that most of them are (intentionally or not) designed to be easiest/most fun as a Strength/Melee/Warrior character. Fallout is the only one that strikes me as bucking that trend.

The Witcher 2 has a weird progression where if you main alchemy you'll be weak and struggling for a lot of the game and then suddenly during the late game a switch flips over the course of about half an hour of progression and you become an unkillable god.

The Moon Monster has a new favorite as of 21:05 on Nov 8, 2015

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

The Moon Monster posted:

The Witcher 2 has a weird progression where if you main alchemy you'll be weak and struggling for a lot of the game and then suddenly during the late game a switch flips over the course of about half an hour of progression and you become an unkillable god.

Isn't that every build in Witcher 2? I remember the second fight in the prologue literally being the most difficult fight in the game.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

Xoidanor posted:

Isn't that every build in Witcher 2? I remember the second fight in the prologue literally being the most difficult fight in the game.

I always just Axii the biggest heaviest guys, so that they usually kill a few of the weaker ones and I get a few free backstab hits.

Barring that, those fights aren't really a problem if you just mix it up with any of the other signs.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Xoidanor posted:

I heard that the sword and magic trees get stronger a lot more quickly, but I only played through the game once.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

I remember Quen getting ridiculously strong towards the end of act 1.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

kazil posted:

Why would one buy a game called Farm Simulator 2015 if one did not want to do boring, monotonous tasks?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gEJHrmliVQw
The trailers made it seem different.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

MisterBibs posted:

Pre-Skyrim Elder Scrolls games gave a lot of the keys to power to mages. Not in a way that's necessarily bad even for the warriors themselves, they're usually pretty decent, but the real keys to breaking those games wide open were in the enchanting and spellcrafting, which needed a lot of magical skill levels (as well as actual creativity). Skyrim tipped that in the other direction, and I've said a lot about what was bad about that. Pillars of Eternity also gives a lot of ability to the more tricky classes, but that's a very party-based combat system so that doesn't mean a whole lot.

That's a trend I hate whenever I see it, though. I find melee combat in RPGs to be really frustrating and boring even when it's good, so I always go for the mages. But that usually wind up in a far different frustration, because most of these games don't like you for playing a mage.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

Cleretic posted:

Pre-Skyrim Elder Scrolls games gave a lot of the keys to power to mages. Not in a way that's necessarily bad even for the warriors themselves, they're usually pretty decent, but the real keys to breaking those games wide open were in the enchanting and spellcrafting, which needed a lot of magical skill levels (as well as actual creativity). Skyrim tipped that in the other direction, and I've said a lot about what was bad about that. Pillars of Eternity also gives a lot of ability to the more tricky classes, but that's a very party-based combat system so that doesn't mean a whole lot.

That's a trend I hate whenever I see it, though. I find melee combat in RPGs to be really frustrating and boring even when it's good, so I always go for the mages. But that usually wind up in a far different frustration, because most of these games don't like you for playing a mage.

Gothic 2 if you wanted to be a good mage you had to never level up for like six hours, get to the 2nd city, buy a goat, lead it along a treacherous mountain path to the mage club without getting it or you killed, at level 1, in order to join their order. And then an hour later a troll is smashing you to a fine paste and no magic you throw at it helps even a little bit.

I've never seen mage as a class be so punished on what felt like principal. "gently caress you, nerd" the game seemed to say to me.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

Doc Morbid posted:

The one thing that sort of drags the first KotOR down (I say sort of, because I must've finished that game a dozen times by now) is the ridiculous difficulty spike with the final Darth Malak fight.

If you're playing a light side character who isn't a guardian, you'd better hope you have 50 energy shields and enough drugs to kill a krayt dragon in order to survive a sword fight against Malak (and even then you'll probably want to cheese it by using medkits from the inventory), and god help you if you forgot to max out your Force Resistance skill. Even if you're using ridiculous overpowered gear from mods, it's still a tough fight especially for consulars. No other fight in the entire game (except maybe the Taris duel arena stuff if you're saving your levelups) is anywhere near as hard.

I cheesed the hell out of that fight. I kept on Mandalorian armor when I was fighting him and switched to Jedi robes so i could activate force speed and blow up all the bodies before he could leech them. Rise and Repeat.

Xoidanor posted:

Quen seems like the best answer for any occasion but if you're talking about the Letho fight, you wanna use Aard to stunlock his rear end and dispel his shield while you get some free hits in.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

Action Tortoise posted:

I cheesed the hell out of that fight. I kept on Mandalorian armor when I was fighting him and switched to Jedi robes so i could activate force speed and blow up all the bodies before he could leech them. Rise and Repeat.
I guess this means that Mandalorians are better and cooler than jedi after all. Karen Traviss was right all along! :pseudo:

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Replaying Saints Row: Gat Out of Hell, and the upgrade system is really annoying me. Powers are fine since you can just fly around grabbing more soul clusters whenever you need to, but I'm constantly low on cash and it's used for both character upgrades and weapon upgrades. Last time I played I got to the end of the game, including all activities and targets, without having even half my weapons fully upgraded. It's frustrating to not be able to play with all the fun toys.

Bar Crow posted:

Real time with pause combat is just terrible. I have never seen a good implementation of it.

I really enjoyed the combat in Dragon Age: Origins.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Krinkle posted:

Gothic 2 if you wanted to be a good mage you had to never level up for like six hours, get to the 2nd city, buy a goat, lead it along a treacherous mountain path to the mage club without getting it or you killed, at level 1, in order to join their order. And then an hour later a troll is smashing you to a fine paste and no magic you throw at it helps even a little bit.

I've never seen mage as a class be so punished on what felt like principal. "gently caress you, nerd" the game seemed to say to me.

One thing dragging a lot of games down for me is that being a mage almost always boils down to a numbers thing and I almost immediately have to throw up a guide somewhere to make sure I'm not going down the wrong path of the six presented to me. So many games make mages into these weird generalists by default. I can only really play mages in ARPG games because those ones lay out the whole progression tree for me so I can see what I'm actually building toward.

Actually, that's the weird thing. There's always this "mage" archetype thing that we're becoming, but the end stages vary wildly game by game. If I'm playing a two-handed swordsman, then no matter what I build I'm basically gonna end up as Conan- jumpy, fighty, shouty, swordy Conan. But there are so many end-stage mage characters I could accidentally be building myself toward, and so few games actually lay out "Yeah here's what a really strong fire mage can actually do." I don't wanna be flickin' the same goddamn fireball around at level 5 and at level 50, I want a promise that it gets way cooler.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

Cleretic posted:

The whole strength/melee build thing started a long time before Skyrim and pretty much any playstyle works in that game, so I'm not sure where you're getting that from. You don't even really have a "build" in that game unless you're purposely restricting yourself a lot. While spellcrafting was gone, enchanting/alchemy broke the game to an insane degree and neither of those are restricted to certain builds only.

There was a game that came out about a month before Skyrim that's probably the major culprit but I don't remember if we're still not supposed to mention it in the thread. :v:

Action Tortoise posted:

Quen seems like the best answer for any occasion but if you're talking about the Letho fight, you wanna use Aard to stunlock his rear end and dispel his shield while you get some free hits in.

I always found Yrden to work best for that guy. You just set the trap, lure him into it and then you get a bunch of free hits. I always found Aard to be kind of a gamble - it either works really really well or completely fails.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?
Well I finished dead rising 2 last night, it's weird, towards the end of the game all the cutscenes feel like they went to poo poo, sound effects don't appear when they should, guns don't fire with recoil and characters stand in front of the camera and block what's going on.Also there's just not enough time to breath and explore, I know the reasoning behind the time limit but it's not fun.

Death Zebra
May 14, 2014

In Disgaea 2 you can unlock a dark world version of the stage you're currently on. The game doesn't tell you what the conditions are for this and sometimes doesn't give you a choice of whether to go there so you could end up being forced into a battle you can't possibly win. Hope you saved recently! The most absurd example of this I've been exposed to is when I unlocked a dark world battle by doing 2500 damage and wound up fighting 3 enemies with 100000HP who my most powerful character couldn't damage at all.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Tiggum posted:

Replaying Saints Row: Gat Out of Hell, and the upgrade system is really annoying me. Powers are fine since you can just fly around grabbing more soul clusters whenever you need to, but I'm constantly low on cash and it's used for both character upgrades and weapon upgrades. Last time I played I got to the end of the game, including all activities and targets, without having even half my weapons fully upgraded. It's frustrating to not be able to play with all the fun toys.
Oh yeah, it's pretty similar in Saints Row IV and you pretty much have to stick to one weapon from each category to have a chance of seeing its final form. Unless you do a lot of open world loving around, which admittedly is SRIV's whole thing, but still.

Actually in most games that have different weapon variations I'd prefer it if it was like the old days where you got the pistol, the shotgun, the assault rifle and so on. Looking at you, Phantom Pain.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
My friend and I beat Saint's Row 4 last night on co-op, and for the most part the final sequence of levels in the game were, in my opinion, some of the best the game had to offer. But some things really hosed with it.

Glitches kept loving with us - for one, at a really awesome point when "You've Got the Touch" is playing, the flow kept getting interrupted because my buddy's controls got hosed and he was smashing into the bottom of the screen constantly. And at least once we just straight-up failed because the mission said he died, even though he was like "What, no, we just both went through the door, right?"

Also, prior to this mission I had just purchased the dubstep gun with a swing skin, so it played cheesy 50s swing music or something whenever it was equipped.

It also played this music during in-game cutscenes. All the cutscenes. So here's the game trying to be all dramatic and stuff and all you hear in the background is something that you could "doodle bop diddle dee doo doo doo" to. It was cute at first, but drat. It just kept going, and it only had something like a 10-second loop.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

The final drop in the final mission is just fuuuuuucked to hell and back. It is totally possible to complete it co-op, I've done it twice, but both times there was a lot of bullshit trying to figure out what the hell happened and how to get around it. I don't know exactly what I did but maybe if you restart from checkpoint, everything works fine? I have no clue, it's the worst loving thing.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

ChaosArgate posted:

The final drop in the final mission is just fuuuuuucked to hell and back. It is totally possible to complete it co-op, I've done it twice, but both times there was a lot of bullshit trying to figure out what the hell happened and how to get around it. I don't know exactly what I did but maybe if you restart from checkpoint, everything works fine? I have no clue, it's the worst loving thing.

I think he temporarily switched to a gamepad. I'm not sure, but we made it through. I had zero issues, though I'd been using a gamepad since the start.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
To whomever decided that "lets make the Fallout Farcry 4 ending bleak because that's how the kids like it right?" gently caress you, you loving arsehole.

Josef bugman has a new favorite as of 20:59 on Nov 9, 2015

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007

Josef bugman posted:

To whomever decided that "lets make the Fallout 4 ending bleak because thats how the kids like it right?" gently caress you, you loving arsehole.

Goddamn, you're already finished, holy poo poo.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

kizudarake posted:

Goddamn, you're already finished, holy poo poo.

I am an absolute moron and meant farcry. loving hell that is a Freudian slip.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Josef bugman posted:

To whomever decided that "lets make the Fallout Farcry 4 ending bleak because that's how the kids like it right?" gently caress you, you loving arsehole.

There's a perfectly nice and fulfilling ending if you just sit tight for like five minutes during the initial dinner like you're asked to, like a proper civilised person. :colbert:

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Lost Dimension seems like extremely My poo poo from the fifteen minutes of it I've played so far but how in gods name do you gently caress up a port so badly that there is a literal loading screen every time you cast a spell on a digital download of the game?! This is 2015 we're talking about here, gently caress.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Perestroika posted:

There's a perfectly nice and fulfilling ending if you just sit tight for like five minutes during the initial dinner like you're asked to, like a proper civilised person. :colbert:

I am not listening to someone getting tortured whilst I have Crab Rangoon.

Substandard Crab Rangoon at that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Perestroika posted:

I did this the first time I played the game because I heard it was a cool thing to do - what I did not hear was how it spoiled the poo poo out of your only purpose in the game. I was not pleased (the game is still fun and the story takes a heavy, heavy backseat to all the rebellion stuff, but still).