Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007
Aren't all these silly comicbook gis really lovely quality? Like someone send a pattern and order for a few hundred to the lowest bidder in Pakistan who has no idea what they're for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

canada jezus
Jul 18, 2011

Pocket Billiards posted:

Aren't all these silly comicbook gis really lovely quality? Like someone send a pattern and order for a few hundred to the lowest bidder in Pakistan who has no idea what they're for.

http://www.grapplersreview.com/modern-flow-saiya-jin-dogi-batch-3/ Not the one i got but the same company.

quote:

All in all its a strong, well made GI and I enjoy rolling in it. It has good movement and the lapel is fairly hard to hold for long periods of time, and unless their at the end of the sleeve with a cuff grip the (since it needs to be tapered just a bit for me) the softer, material is harder to hold and easier to break grips than it’s counterpart 1.0. but I enjoy wearing/rolling in both of them.

Of course i have no idea if grapplersreview.com is any good, but hey.

Keg
Sep 22, 2014
I like loud and silly rashguards, but I want my gis to be as plain as they can be.

Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011
If you get the TMNT gi you're basically obligated to play turtle like Telles

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.
I've never owned anything other than a white gi ever but we have the occasional guys who start out as a white belt in a camo or red gi. No one really cares at least at my gym.

TwistedNails
Dec 1, 2008

The only non-white gi I have used is a blue judo gi because the house I was at back when I was in judo had hard water and stained my old white gi and I don't like using bleach because it stinks. I like plain boring white gi's the most.

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

:qq:He expended too much energy and got tired:qq:

I'M NOT SURPRISED MOTHERFUCKERS
The only real rule us that if you wear a pink gi ( and,are a dude);you better be a loving badass

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?
Did Royler ever say anything about his knee after his metamoris match with Eddie Bravo?

Opal
May 10, 2005

some by their splendor rival the colors of the painters, others the flame of burning sulphur or of fire quickened by oil.

Dangersim posted:

The only real rule us that if you wear a pink gi ( and,are a dude);you better be a loving badass

Lol what the hell

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.

Opal posted:

Lol what the hell

Yeah, I can't say I agree either.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

Dangersim posted:

If you make fun of men who wear pink because it's "girly" you're a giant shithead.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
I think what he is saying is that if you're going to dress like Gene LeBell then you should be a bad-rear end like Gene LeBell.

Tezcatlipoca fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Nov 8, 2015

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

Opal posted:

Lol what the hell

yes we are tough men we must all wear tough man colours at all times that way people will know that we are tough and straight

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll
Judo Gene LeBell, you morons

manyak
Jan 26, 2006

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

yes we are tough men we must all wear tough man colours at all times that way people will know that we are tough and straight

this but non sarcastically

Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011
I don't want any faggots in my gay sport thank you very much

Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011
On that note I dropped into Ralph Gracie SF and had a great time. Kurt was very welcoming and I got some good rolls. The warmup sucked.

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

Lmao at all of you

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

Tezcatlipoca posted:

I think what he is saying is that if you're going to dress like Gene LeBell then you should be a bad-rear end like Gene LeBell.

Yeah

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

Mechafunkzilla posted:

If you make fun of men who wear pink because it's "girly" you're a giant shithead.

I'm from new jersey, I have plenty of pink poo poo

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005
It's not ballet.

Slaapaav
Mar 3, 2006

by Azathoth
its gay wrestling

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

In Ancient Rome pink had a connotation of a grizzled dangerous man. Red dye was reserved mostly for legionaires, but becuase clothing was expensive, it wasn't replaced often. A legionaire's red would fade to pink with time, so seeing a man in a pink garment meant that he was a seasoned combat veteran of multiple campaigns and a deadly, trained killer.

You know, like Gene Lebell.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

We already wear pyjamas and put our balls on each other's foreheads. We already look like idiots. Why does a colour upset you so much?

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005
I remember in hs wrestling, only the best wrestlers wore those ugly green and pink shoes. It has more to do with not being outlandish unless your good, than whatever gender stuff you guys got going on.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

always be closing posted:

I remember in hs wrestling, only the best wrestlers wore those ugly green and pink shoes. It has more to do with not being outlandish unless your good, than whatever gender stuff you guys got going on.

But prowrestling has taught me, you don't have to be the best grapplemans so long as you're outlandish. How can I reconcile that?

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005
Actually compete.

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

Does anyone have any recommendations for knee pads? My knees have basically permanent bruises right on the inside of my knee caps and it's getting a little old.

Preferably pink since that seems to be the gooncensus.

WayneCampbell
Oct 7, 2005
You got me a gunrack?!? I don't even own a gun, let alone alone enough to nessecitate an entire rack.

Clanpot Shake posted:

Does anyone have any recommendations for knee pads? My knees have basically permanent bruises right on the inside of my knee caps and it's getting a little old.

Preferably pink since that seems to be the gooncensus.

Well, since someone mentioned Kurt earlier, he recommends bauerfiend knee pads in his videos although they ain't cheap.

http://www.bauerfeind.com/b2c/bauerfeind-b2c-us/en/USD/PRODUCT/KNEE-BRACES-BY-GENUTRAIN/c/nav_b2c_us_kneeBraces

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iPHBn7Z0ezY

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

Anything good in the 2-digit price range?

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Clanpot Shake posted:

Anything good in the 2-digit price range?

I use these, $40 for a pair and they work fine: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000UW1JZI?psc=1

Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011
I wear two neoprene sleeves on my bad knee.

Miching Mallecho
May 24, 2010

:yeshaha:
I've used volleyball pads and the one time I didn't in the past four years, bruise city.

I've used these in white and black, white ones under my gi pants.

http://www.amazon.com/ASICS-Unisex-Slider-V-Kneepad/dp/B005AFGWL6

I've used mizuno pads too but I found them to have less padding, they were fine but I used my asic ones a lot more.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

We already wear pyjamas and put our balls on each other's foreheads. We already look like idiots. Why does a colour upset you so much?

if you seriously don't know about judo gene then you have no business posting in the grappling thread. i'm generally against "qualifications" for posting in a thread, but jfc people, know the history of your fuckin sport please.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

You know, this discussion made me just wonder what rank Judo Gene has, and his wikipedia page says that he's a 10th dan, which made me go "woah," but there's no mention of him at all on the list of notable judoka on wikipedia, which page also asserts that "only 32 or 33 people have ever been promoted to 10th dan."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_judoka

Apparently the 10th dan came from the "World Martial Arts Masters Association" or something? And I go to their website, and it looks to me like they just hand out higher ranks with mail order certificates to anyone who has had a belt for a long time:

http://martialartsmastersassociation.com/

Can anyone else shed light on this?

(I'm not disputing that Gene LeBell is a badass, I'll put that here, but this is some fishy poo poo)

e. here's one of their certificates:

The dragons have convinced me that they're a legitimate organization.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

if you seriously don't know about judo gene then you have no business posting in the grappling thread. i'm generally against "qualifications" for posting in a thread, but jfc people, know the history of your fuckin sport please.

It was the "wearing pink (and are a dude)" part of it. If the point is not imitating Gene LeBell, what does gender have to do with anything?

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Mechafunkzilla posted:

It was the "wearing pink (and are a dude)" part of it. If the point is not imitating Gene LeBell, what does gender have to do with anything?

OK, I completely missed the parenthetical part because the responding posts all seemed to not know Gene existed. I agree that's stupid. Nobody should wear pink unless they've made Steven Seagal poop himself.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Everyone should wear pink

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"
The problems with wearing pink is that someone might confuse you for Bret Hart and try to kick your leg out of your leg

Or worse, think you are Phil Davis.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

LobsterMobster posted:

Or worse, think you are Phil Davis.

I'm not near triangular enough for that to ever be a problem.