Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slandible
Apr 30, 2008

This weekend I'm seeing Dear Rouge with Rah Rah in a small venue and I'm pretty pumped, but as much as I enjoy DR's stuff, I am only noticing an EP. I recall some others saying they were planning on seeing them as well, umm, what other material do they play?

Also at this point, I think I might be more excited for Rah Rah now. The Poets Dead album is really good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Slandible posted:

This weekend I'm seeing Dear Rouge with Rah Rah in a small venue and I'm pretty pumped, but as much as I enjoy DR's stuff, I am only noticing an EP. I recall some others saying they were planning on seeing them as well, umm, what other material do they play?

Also at this point, I think I might be more excited for Rah Rah now. The Poets Dead album is really good.

Dear Rouge is one of my favourite bands, they have a full album now: https://itunes.apple.com/ca/album/black-to-gold/id963397175

I'm seeing that same show you are in Vancouver on the 20th, so loving stoked.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
new Grimes album slays and now I just hope there's not as much of a turnaround time until the next one

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

abraham linksys posted:

new Grimes album slays and now I just hope there's not as much of a turnaround time until the next one

Can't wait to see her do some of these tracks live in March. Question is: Realiti demo or full version?!?!

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

It's a new version. I liked the demo version better. But the album as a whole owns.

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring

Possibly Chicken posted:

It's a new version. I liked the demo version better. But the album as a whole owns.

I was worried after the first video, but I really like the album overall. I want my artists to evolve and change. Now I can't wait for Pitchfork to give it a score of 3.5! I still prefer »Visions« (a lot), but if she felt the need to get this out of her system, more power to her.

edit:

Just got to Realiti. It's unfortunate that they mangled it like that. The demo version was way better.

Jack's Flow fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Nov 6, 2015

resident
Dec 22, 2005

WE WERE ALL UP IN THAT SHIT LIKE A MUTHAFUCKA. IT'S CLEANER THAN A BROKE DICK DOG.

I don't understand how they could overproduce Realiti and gently caress it up so much. The album itself is mostly really obnoxious sugarpop so if you are in the AG Cook fanbase you'll probably love it.

T Bowl
Feb 6, 2006

Shut up DUMMY
The new Grimes is not nearly as good as I was expecting, meh...

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
I love PC Music and this Grimes album is super boring

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:

resident posted:

The album itself is mostly really obnoxious sugarpop so if you are in the AG Cook fanbase you'll probably love it.

:psyboom:

the pop of this album is so far away from the kind of pop that PC Music is putting out that I don't understand your point of comparison here at all

fwiw, best tracks on this album: Artangels (that guitar!), Kill V Maim, Realiti, Venus Fly, Butterfly

abraham linksys fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Nov 6, 2015

Chelb
Oct 24, 2010

I'm gonna show SA-kun my shitposting!
That song in Mandarin is kinda crazy when translated.

Schremp Howard
Jul 18, 2010

What attitude problem?
New grimes owns, I can't stop listening to Flesh Without Blood and I'm probably going to find so much else to get obsessive about when I get sick of that track.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Currently obsessing over the new Realiti and Butterfly but I can see myself do it with all the tracks eventually.

Slandible
Apr 30, 2008

Wow, the Dear Rouge / Rah Rah show I was going to got canceled because the venue is retarded. loving great.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I'm not feeling the new Grimes overall, but there are a couple songs that knock it out of the park like Kill V. Maim and Venus Fly. Going to see her live on Monday night and still excited for that.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
I'm kind of surprised so many folks here like Grimes. I mean it's not inherently bad, but it just sort of sounds like something I'd hear over the PA when I walked into an American Eagle or something. But then again I'd be nodding my head to it so I think I'm just confused.

BonoMan fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Nov 7, 2015

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Slandible posted:

Wow, the Dear Rouge / Rah Rah show I was going to got canceled because the venue is retarded. loving great.

Ugh the gently caress, what happened? Are you able to get to another nearby show?

Slandible
Apr 30, 2008

CLAM DOWN posted:

Ugh the gently caress, what happened? Are you able to get to another nearby show?

I have no idea. The venue has 2 stages and something else going on the same night, so either the hosed that up or just didn't advertise right. I was talking to DR on Twitter and suggesting nearby shows, I might try driving out to the one in London Canada tonight.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Slandible posted:

I have no idea. The venue has 2 stages and something else going on the same night, so either the hosed that up or just didn't advertise right. I was talking to DR on Twitter and suggesting nearby shows, I might try driving out to the one in London Canada tonight.

DR is absolutely incredible and probably my favourite band, do it.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

Miike snow is back. Give it a few tries, it grows slowly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cBMQAd0G2_k

Slandible
Apr 30, 2008

Well guessing I'm going. Dear Rouge felt bad about the cancellation and put me on the guest list for tonight.

E-- And now I can't go. So much disappointment in one day. Hope you enjoy it Clam Down.

Slandible fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Nov 7, 2015

Constant Hamprince
Oct 24, 2010

by exmarx
College Slice

BonoMan posted:

I'm kind of surprised so many folks here like Grimes. I mean it's not inherently bad, but it just sort of sounds like something I'd hear over the PA when I walked into an American Eagle or something. But then again I'd be nodding my head to it so I think I'm just confused.

I know her more recent albums are more 'mainstream' or whatever, but I really want to go to the American Eagle that is playing stuff from Giedi Primes over the PA.

T Bowl
Feb 6, 2006

Shut up DUMMY

Constant Hamprince posted:

I know her more recent albums are more 'mainstream' or whatever, but I really want to go to the American Eagle that is playing stuff from Giedi Primes over the PA.

Visions wouldn't be on there either.

Slandible
Apr 30, 2008

CLAM DOWN posted:

DR is absolutely incredible and probably my favourite band, do it.

Well after everything trying to gently caress me over from getting to their show today, I made it, and it was totally worth it. Both Dear Rogue and Rah Rah were great and Danielle of DR even got me in for free and gave me a poster for making the drive. Thanks for convincing me to go, probably wouldn't have otherwise.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

I like the new grimes album a whole lot.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Slandible posted:

Well after everything trying to gently caress me over from getting to their show today, I made it, and it was totally worth it. Both Dear Rogue and Rah Rah were great and Danielle of DR even got me in for free and gave me a poster for making the drive. Thanks for convincing me to go, probably wouldn't have otherwise.

Awesome dude, they're pretty awesome eh. I can't wait to see them again on the 20th in Vancouver.

resident
Dec 22, 2005

WE WERE ALL UP IN THAT SHIT LIKE A MUTHAFUCKA. IT'S CLEANER THAN A BROKE DICK DOG.

abraham linksys posted:

:psyboom:

the pop of this album is so far away from the kind of pop that PC Music is putting out that I don't understand your point of comparison here at all

fwiw, best tracks on this album: Artangels (that guitar!), Kill V Maim, Realiti, Venus Fly, Butterfly

I'm not saying it sounds like PC Music. Just that the artist is trying to put a "personal spin" on pop music so they can disassociate themselves from other top 40 radio acts. I don't like it in either case.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

resident posted:

Just that the artist is trying to put a "personal spin" on pop music so they can disassociate themselves from other top 40 radio acts.

How awful!

Genetic Toaster
Jun 5, 2011

New Grimes is probably my AOTY.

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

More pop music should be like Art Angels (i.e. really good and memorable)

Alec Eiffel
Sep 7, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I like both REALiTis. Initially I was put off by the album version, but I really love its galloping beat and I would say that it's now my preferred version. The demo is moodier and more Visions-esque, to be sure, but this one fits right at home on Art Angels.

gentle pete
Feb 21, 2015

by Nyc_Tattoo
This morning, precisely at 6 AM, I forced myself out of a lofty perch amidst warm covers and into the cool morning air. I had decided the night before, and I was resolute, that I would go for an early morning run. So I quietly laced up, donned a sweatshirt, inhaled a glass of water, and was on my way into the misty morning darkness.

The previous night, I’d given the soundtrack to my excursion plenty of forethought. I’d need something atmospheric, exquisite, and thrilling… something that encapsulated the early morning campus ambiance in all of its chilling glory. I hadn’t been particularly impressed with Grimes' 2012 release, Visions, but I figured experimental pop would be the perfect sort of music for my intents and I decided to give the group another shot.

I was blown away. Speechless. Art Angels is immaculate. Eerie, foreboding, gloomy, magnificent, monolithic. Massive. I couldn’t have asked for a more perfect soundtrack to my trek across the campus ground, and I really can’t quite explain why. Words evade me, and I can only hope you would have the same experience some day.

As I approached the end of my route, I acted on impulse and backtracked to the bluffside in hopes of catching the sunrise. I sat on a lonely column of rock high above the ocean waves and rested, digesting what had just transpired. As I waited for the first sign of that fiery ball of hydrogen and helium on the horizon, deep in contemplation, a lone dolphin fin arched up above the swells. It was loving beautiful. This is the kind of poo poo that people give God credit for. This is what creates religious nuts.

My catacean friend quickly disappeared along the coast, and as it bid me adieu, the sun had just began to shine on my infinitesimal self. The skyline was beautiful on fire, a blaze of orange, purple, and blue. I sat in silent awe for some time.

…my soundtrack had long since concluded, and it was high time I found my way home to a hot shower.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

gentle pete posted:

This morning, precisely at 6 AM, I forced myself out of a lofty perch amidst warm covers and into the cool morning air. I had decided the night before, and I was resolute, that I would go for an early morning run. So I quietly laced up, donned a sweatshirt, inhaled a glass of water, and was on my way into the misty morning darkness.

The previous night, I’d given the soundtrack to my excursion plenty of forethought. I’d need something atmospheric, exquisite, and thrilling… something that encapsulated the early morning campus ambiance in all of its chilling glory. I hadn’t been particularly impressed with Grimes' 2012 release, Visions, but I figured experimental pop would be the perfect sort of music for my intents and I decided to give the group another shot.

I was blown away. Speechless. Art Angels is immaculate. Eerie, foreboding, gloomy, magnificent, monolithic. Massive. I couldn’t have asked for a more perfect soundtrack to my trek across the campus ground, and I really can’t quite explain why. Words evade me, and I can only hope you would have the same experience some day.

As I approached the end of my route, I acted on impulse and backtracked to the bluffside in hopes of catching the sunrise. I sat on a lonely column of rock high above the ocean waves and rested, digesting what had just transpired. As I waited for the first sign of that fiery ball of hydrogen and helium on the horizon, deep in contemplation, a lone dolphin fin arched up above the swells. It was loving beautiful. This is the kind of poo poo that people give God credit for. This is what creates religious nuts.

My catacean friend quickly disappeared along the coast, and as it bid me adieu, the sun had just began to shine on my infinitesimal self. The skyline was beautiful on fire, a blaze of orange, purple, and blue. I sat in silent awe for some time.

…my soundtrack had long since concluded, and it was high time I found my way home to a hot shower.
:magical:

I just got home from seeing Neon Indian. They were awesome! While I dig the new album, the highlight of the night was when they played Polish Girl because Era Extrana has always been my favorite album of theirs :D

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
New grimes is way better than her old stuff.

Also I didn't like her old stuff. Come at me haterz

ThatsMyBoye
Nov 21, 2006

I wish that I believed in fate
I wish I didn't sleep so late
I used to be carried in the arms of cheerleaders

gentle pete posted:

I enjoy this post and wanted you to be made aware of that.

RedneckwithGuns
Mar 28, 2007

Up Next:
Fifteen Inches of
SHEER DYNAMITE

New Grimes owns but even more than the new album I loved all the people that were doom and gloom over how "mainstream" Flesh without Blood was and were saying Art Angels wasn't going to be good. I mean, I love Flesh without Blood and even the weirder stuff like Scream or Venus Fly but how hard is it to like a simple song? Reminds me a lot of people who were let down by Tame Impala's record earlier this year because they didn't like the poppier sound the went with.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
If you don't like the new Grimes because its "too mainstream" or way too "pop" then you're just an idiot imo. Personally her old stuff was like ok at best but it was missing something, like some intense energy and she delivers that with spades on this album (and her live show, just saw her this weekend and she loving killed it).

resident
Dec 22, 2005

I know right!

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP FOREVER.
Lol grimes is loving garbage she wouldn't have even been on an oc soundtrack wth is wrong with you people

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

T Bowl
Feb 6, 2006

Shut up DUMMY
Her stuff isn't as poppy as everyone on her wants to pretend as well. None of that poo poo would every fly on top 40, and you're a loving tool if you think it would.