Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Loiosh
Jul 25, 2010

Hav posted:

Perhaps you'd like to express your feelings on scope creep, or the overall plan/road map?

I don't want to look like I'm spamming the thread, so please forgive me if I'm answering a lot. One of our datacenters went down and I cannot do much work :/ - I did not join in during the kickstarter because I felt the game as too small for what I was looking for. The original investment pitch was along the lines of Earth and Beyond/Freelancer ++ You can imagine that my response to creep is :gizz: because a deep sim is the kind of thing I'm interested in. I totally get why people who saw the original Wing Commander + small MMO idea and wanted that game and not what SC has become.

quote:

What number are they aiming for? Bearing in mind that we already have models for this kind of thing.

You've described normal game development, but under a climate of shifting sands. Why do they have shifting sands?

'Whatever they can get' but I suspect the realistic number is 50 per server instance which is what they've given as a basic goal. 50-100 is what they're hoping to get when this finishes. I think it'll start very low.

Also, yes, shifting sands. It happens all the time for better (FarCry 3) and for worse (DNF). I'm not convinced it will either fail or succeed, but I am hopeful that something called Star Citizen, the MMO, will come out. It's the kind of game I've wanted to play since I was younger (see giant wall o text earlier D: )

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Wafflz posted:

pgabs the way you cook hot dogs is wrong :colbert:

Probably :negative:

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

They are ahead of schedule :laffo:

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

"We leapfrogged ahead of ourselves which is why we are very late."

"It hasn't been released yet because it's too finished".

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Yeah, I saw that, but it's pretty much thirty words amounting to nothing. Meat and potatoes? Leapfrogged? Still happening? :confuoot:

Atheist Sunglasses
Jul 26, 2003

All the candy you want. Crotton crandy, crandy apple. I like to go on the best ride first. Name of roller croaster.

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

Yeah, I saw that, but it's pretty much thirty words amounting to nothing. Meat and potatoes? Leapfrogged? Still happening? :confuoot:

Ben with the food analogy

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Loiosh posted:

I don't want to look like I'm spamming the thread, so please forgive me if I'm answering a lot. One of our datacenters went down and I cannot do much work :/ - I did not join in during the kickstarter because I felt the game as too small for what I was looking for. The original investment pitch was along the lines of Earth and Beyond/Freelancer ++ You can imagine that my response to creep is :gizz: because a deep sim is the kind of thing I'm interested in. I totally get why people who saw the original Wing Commander + small MMO idea and wanted that game and not what SC has become.

'Whatever they can get' but I suspect the realistic number is 50 per server instance which is what they've given as a basic goal. 50-100 is what they're hoping to get when this finishes. I think it'll start very low.

Also, yes, shifting sands. It happens all the time for better (FarCry 3) and for worse (DNF). I'm not convinced it will either fail or succeed, but I am hopeful that something called Star Citizen, the MMO, will come out. It's the kind of game I've wanted to play since I was younger (see giant wall o text earlier D: )

you arent spamming the thread. its good high quality stuff.

MrDorf
Apr 28, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Valatar posted:

Check your credit cards. They did a 'Well golly, we can only give back about half of the amount because we see you've already had a partial refund' thing to me, at which point I (politely) wrote back to correct them and list the exact pledge I'd made. They then paypalled the remainder. Which left me sitting there for a bit wondering where the gently caress the first part of my money was. Then I reread the initial refund mail and saw that they were doing a chargeback instead of a paypal, logged into my credit card site, and found the first part of the refund sitting in there.

Not even with the same bank anymore. I did everything through paypal, so there's no way (that I know of) that the actual card/bank has been exposed to them in any way.

KiddieGrinder
Nov 15, 2005

HELP ME

fuctifino posted:

"We leapfrogged ahead of ourselves which is why we are very late."

"It hasn't been released yet because it's too finished".

"We've always been at war with Eastasia."

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

MrDorf posted:

A full month after the "Refund granted!" email has ended with my CIG account closed and no refund issued, so I'm trying the Paypay chargeback route now. Unfortunately the charges were from mid-2013, so I have a feeling time is going to work against me here. :ohdear:
That's interesting, given the earlier report of the same.

That seems like a rather new development. Anecdotally, refunds seem to have been actioned without much difficulty (though usually with a lot of shoe dragging...)

Two data points aren't a trend, but I do wonder if CIG's former "are you sure you wanna-- really, are you sure?-- oh well okay we'll do it but was there any article in particular that prompted this request?" policy is being modified. Or if one is finally being codified.

I do think the date of your backing actually helps your case, not harms it. You've been waiting a long time, deadlines have been missed, creep has scooped, and all the rest. Seems like you have more right to claim "this isn't what I backed and I want out" than someone who backed more recently. You might have to pull an Ortwin and threaten legal, but in your case, they'd blink before going to court over it. That's NOT a story they want to see catch fire in the gaming press...

KennyLoggins
Dec 3, 2004
Welcome to the Danger Zone
:yarg:

:yarg:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QVw5mnRI8Zw

KennyLoggins fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Nov 9, 2015

Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib

Why do you think the denizens of this forum spend over 300k on SC (before refunds). Because a lot of people would like to see a game with a huge depth. I mean it's the kind of game Derek Smart has build in several iterations. Just that he went with (for the time) low visual fidelity. Which is unsuprising, since a small team of ~ a dozen can't produce a lot of art.

Different opinions are welcome here. Especially if they're well written. That's at least my opinion. Though I dare say that there is some smoke around CIG and that might be due to a fire.

Kakarot
Jul 20, 2013

by zen death robot
Buglord
whats the difference between REC and UEC currency on the website?

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Kakarot posted:

UEC costs real dollars and REC is what you get for playing Arena Commander, right?

I think you can only 'rent' gear with REC whereas if you spend UEC you get it forever.

Nov 3, 2015

Give me all your crackers

Kakarot posted:

REC is just rental currency and is earned in AC and used to rent ships and equipment to be used in AC. Basically it was CIG's way of giving its backers the middle finger and telling them they can't earn anything.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

How the gently caress could anyone see the shady poo poo CIG is doing wrt refunds and think "yeah, I can trust these people"

I can understand rough game development and all that stuff at least a little, but how the gently caress do you gently caress up refunds?

Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib

1500 posted:

REC is just rental currency and is earned in AC and used to rent ships and equipment to be used in AC. Basically it was CIG's way of giving its backers the middle finger and telling them they can't earn anything.

As soon as people can earn UEC ingame, their JPEG sales will plumment. Especially once a real economy is working.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Loiosh posted:

This is where I was. Giving to the original pitch for Squadron 42 was a hail mary willingness to throw $35 on something that may not happen, and remains the only reason why I won't ask for a refund. I *already* considered it dead money the second I forked it over. it was the creeping feature list that convinced me that they didn't have a solid plan going in.

You don't start with a rowing boat and accrete to an ocean liner. And if you want deep sim, check out Rogue System (http://imagespaceinc.com/rogsys) - He's attempting to build the Falcon 4 of space sims and has a very solid development plan. He didn't succeed on kickstarter because it's a niche, but a niche that SC appears to be moving towards if the ship UIs are anything to judge by.

I think you're optimistic, personally. I'd like to actually play the game, but what I've been presented has actually been a very, very bad showing.

edit:

LITERALLY MY FETISH posted:

How the gently caress could anyone see the shady poo poo CIG is doing wrt refunds and think "yeah, I can trust these people"

I can understand rough game development and all that stuff at least a little, but how the gently caress do you gently caress up refunds?

Not having ready liquidity. Needing to find a way to alter the perception of mass refunds to other VC. Sandi.

They certainly don't want a big blob of dissatisfaction chilling sales of upcoming soon to be released ships.

Hav fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Nov 9, 2015

Incombibulator
Dec 9, 2014

I'm ready for my close-up
Ms. Gardiner...

Grimey Drawer
:gary:!!!SUPER IMPORTANT NEWS!!!:yarg:

:lol:

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Incombibulator posted:

What's the price?

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Incombibulator posted:

lol a machine is going spit these out at the rate of probably a 100 a minute and at a cost of like 10 cents to CIG. They just know the low stock trick works on citizens every drat time.

Onkel Hedwig
Jun 27, 2007

Incombibulator posted:

jpegs and plastic cards are very rare commodities indeed. This shortage is in no way meant to drive up the price.

Incombibulator
Dec 9, 2014

Ms. Gardiner...

Grimey Drawer

spacetoaster posted:

What's the price?

$10 I believe. 7.5 quids.

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Rich Kid of Insurancegram

Wafflz posted:

And now I have serious posted in the Star citizen thread :(

:gary: PAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRP :yarg:

That's better.

:gary: :lesnick: :lesnick: :lesnick: :yarg:

Wow, fake exclusive credit cards that are somehow ~~limited~~ :byodood:

:gary: PAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRP :yarg:

Loiosh
Jul 25, 2010

Hav posted:

This is where I was. Giving to the original pitch for Squadron 42 was a hail mary willingness to throw $35 on something that may not happen, and remains the only reason why I won't ask for a refund. I *already* considered it dead money the second I forked it over. it was the creeping feature list that convinced me that they didn't have a solid plan going in.

You don't start with a rowing boat and accrete to an ocean liner. And if you want deep sim, check out Rogue System (http://imagespaceinc.com/rogsys) - He's attempting to build the Falcon 4 of space sims and has a very solid development plan. He didn't succeed on kickstarter because it's a niche, but a niche that SC appears to be moving towards if the ship UIs are anything to judge by.

I think you're optimistic, personally. I'd like to actually play the game, but what I've been presented has actually been a very, very bad showing.

Rogue System looks like a neat idea, I love the complexity, but I hope he addresses the technological progress. Basically, being able to do a difficult manual landing is cool, but lacking an autodocking mechanism is a bit silly. I like the compromise E:D made in this regard (autodoc computer), and I hope he'll do the same. I haven't seen any combat yet. One that I've been very interested in is Enemy Starfighter: http://enemystarfighter.com/videos/

Best feature? It takes a realistic look at the future, pilots remote in to control drone ships and you, as the player, can shift in and out of different ships while giving RTS-like orders to the fleet (and it's multiplayer!)

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Incombibulator posted:

Holy poo poo they can't even print things without loving it up - what did they do? Build a new loving office complex to house their own printing machines and some how still gently caress it up that they can't cope with printing a few thousand copies of something? How many hundred thousand of what are basically laminated business cards would they have to loving order to overwhelm a printing facility? gently caress off that's too dumb.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Chalks posted:

Holy poo poo they can't even print things without loving it up - what did they do? Build a new loving office complex to house their own printing machines and some how still gently caress it up that they can't cope with printing a few thousand copies of something? How many hundred thousand of what are basically laminated business cards would they have to loving order to overwhelm a printing facility? gently caress off that's too dumb.

When you are preaching to the whale pond why not go with what works? Create an artificial sense of scarcity and watch the :10bux: roll in.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

Loiosh posted:

...Ilfonic did shoddy work...

Are you sure Ilfonic delivered bad work? Some people seem to favour the idea that Illfonic delivered an FPS module that Croberts was unable to implement into his game because in a move of retardedness he switched to 64 bit whatchamacallit after handing off the work to Illfonic.

Which others claim is why they are keeping so quiet about the reason. Because Croberts done hosed up by making the module incompatible on his side.

I know nothing about developing but this is what I read.

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh
These cards have literally zero function, right? Like the rest of the pledge rewards?

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

dyzzy posted:

These cards have literally zero function, right? Like the rest of the pledge rewards?

I think it's used to cut cocaine into lines.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Nuclearmonkee posted:

When you are preaching to the whale pond why not go with what works? Create an artificial sense of scarcity and watch the :10bux: roll in.

It's meant to be a limited thing for their elite backer group though right? How many of them can there possibly be? 2000? Who's falling for the idea that these overpriced toy credit cards are some how so complex to make that they couldn't poo poo out 2000 of them in a few days!? I bet they think banks print these things in their millions using fairy dust or something, no way CIG could summon such powerful black magic to produce a few thousand clearly!

I love that it just looks like complete incompetence that CIG couldn't work out how many people would want these when they know the number of concierge backers and some how organise for their contractor to be able to supply up to that many cards. I mean holy poo poo. "Hey guys we're offering special cards to 2000 people, how many can you produce?" "Gee I dunno maybe 100?" "Ok sure this sounds fine"

Chalks fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Nov 9, 2015

Loiosh
Jul 25, 2010

Hopper posted:

Are you sure Ilfonic delivered bad work? Some people seem to favour the idea that Illfonic delivered an FPS module that Croberts was unable to implement into his game because in a move of retardedness he switched to 64 bit whatchamacallit after handing off the work to Illfonic.

Which others claim is why they are keeping so quiet about the reason. Because Croberts done hosed up by making the module incompatible on his side.

I know nothing about developing but this is what I read.

I have no inside information, so that's me reading between the lines. I could be entirely off-base and what you said above could be the reason.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Atheist Sunglasses posted:

Um, I just watched this for the first time and...it sort of looked cool :kiddo:

Yeah it does- very much a game I'd like to play, if somewhat incomplete. I've never been turned off by the scope and the mechanics do seem possible for a focused group to deliver. What's turned me off to the whole project is the back-and-forth project management, the promised/missed dates, the completely incompetent community management, and the truly greedy sales tactics. It's easy to forget that there's a genuinely interesting tech piece behind all of that.

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

dyzzy posted:

They're depleted mo-cap studio fuel.

Incombibulator
Dec 9, 2014

Ms. Gardiner...

Grimey Drawer

dyzzy posted:

CIG WEBSITE posted:

Whether you’re flaunting high fashion on the runways of Prime, Terra or cozying up with a bottle of 2733 vintage behind the velvet rope at the Goss’ Million Mile High Club, the Concierge Black Card has your back. Showcase your involvement in making Star Citizen’s crowdfunding a success with this limited edition, wallet-sized metal card. The Concierge Black Card, available exclusively to high-level backers, is more than just a token of your dedication to the game: it will provide VIP access to future pop-up events and meetings. Don’t leave your hangar without it!

Please note: The price of this card is to cover production costs and worldwide shipping fees. The images displayed are the prototype version of the card; the text and logo portion of the card will be printed in black on the final product. This is a pre-order; estimated delivery date is February 2016.

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

An RSS feed bot who makes questionable purchasing decisions.
Pillbug
Illfonic is making this- I doubt it was their fault

http://www.ign.com/videos/2015/10/13/friday-the-13th-official-announcement-trailer

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Incombibulator posted:

quote:

estimated delivery date is February 2016.

I'm sorry someone please explain this to me in a way that doesn't mean CIG's suppler couldn't work out how to print enough cards in 4 months because that is completely impossible to believe.

Raskolnikov
Nov 25, 2003

Chalks posted:

I'm sorry someone please explain this to me in a way that doesn't mean CIG's suppler couldn't work out how to print enough cards in 4 months because that is completely impossible to believe.
CIG is robbing nerds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

Nuclearmonkee posted:

I'm ready for a limited edition UEE Marine Helmet!

G0RF fucked around with this message at 10:32 on Jul 20, 2016

• Locked thread