Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bollock Monkey
Jan 21, 2007

The Almighty

pointsofdata posted:

The Tiffin Tin is by far my favourite Indian delivery.

Any other suggestions?

Clissold Spice does really tasty food and has a few more unusual options alongside your standard dishes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Alright, American friend has one night in London, where should I take him? Not moon on a stick prices.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
Harvester.

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

Everybody's gotta learn sometime
Salt Yard and order one of everything + lots of wine

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Fucker.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

He insisted on paying, so we went to Hawksmoor. Tragedy. :allears:

Kaiho
Dec 2, 2004

sweat poteto posted:

I can't find any South Indian (eg dosa, poori) that will deliver to clapham/battersea area :(

Dosa n Chutny are in Tooting, dunno if they deliver as far as you?

They're good though.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
Got a date Tuesday, she doesn't drink. Central London in general ), Soho in particular, any suggestions?

tentish klown
Apr 3, 2011

BizarroAzrael posted:

Got a date Tuesday, she doesn't drink.

Sever

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Tinseltown for milkshakes?

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
I really enjoy Ethiopian food and have had two very good takeways recently. One was a stall at Startisan in Covent Garden (a small indoor food market), and the other from dodgy-loooking St Gabriel's Cafe at the top of Blackstock Road. The injera from there was amazing, so soft and yielding, just a beautiful texture, served with four different vegetarian stews/wat (none of which were that different from the other - more variations on a theme, but a delicious theme). A huge injera and a container full of food was £8 but provided two lunches - so decent value.

The newish Street N4 just outside Finsbury Park station is also pretty good: their lunch special of a burger (which is good), fries (ditto) and a coke for I think £7.50 is really excellent value for the quality and quantity of the food. The chicken burger is a huge succulent breast in a lightly spiced crunchy batter, and the vegetable burrito is pretty good too (but not as good as Luardos!). Next door Pasta Remoli is actually very good too. Another local (for me) recommendation is Piccolo Diavolo, where I go when I get my lamb chop craving.

Lastly, a few weeks ago a chum and I had an excellent meal at the Old Dairy. Not cheap, but very good food.

Neris
Mar 7, 2004

don't you dare use the word 'party' as a verb in this shop
IM BACK :woop: been a while food thread.

I wanna take my pal to Korean BBQ. I'll be in Clapham Common and I live in North London. Normally I'd go to Seoul but that's a long old trek for me that day -- anything central you'd recomend? I'm leaning towards Asadal. I know Hang Kang is still around but maybe there's something better? Shame Dotori doesn't offer the authentic sunken BBQ-at-your-table jazz.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Kalbi by Exmouth Market does the sunken table BBQ. It's pretty good.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Neris posted:

I wanna take my pal to Korean BBQ. I'll be in Clapham Common and I live in North London. Normally I'd go to Seoul but that's a long old trek for me that day -- anything central you'd recomend? I'm leaning towards Asadal. I know Hang Kang is still around but maybe there's something better? Shame Dotori doesn't offer the authentic sunken BBQ-at-your-table jazz.

Hello! Some recent local suggestions from me a post or two ago.

Koba does BBQ at the table.

Neris posted:

Neris posted:

Hello! Some recent local suggestions from me a post or two ago.

Koba does BBQ at the table.

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

The_Doctor posted:

Kalbi by Exmouth Market does the sunken table BBQ. It's pretty good.

Going to check this out.

Spotted a place called kimchee near Holborn the other day. Korean places are popping up all over the place

sweek0
May 22, 2006

Let me fall out the window
With confetti in my hair
Deal out jacks or better
On a blanket by the stairs
I'll tell you all my secrets
But I lie about my past
Go to Hoppers on Frith Street, which is the new place by the Ghymkana team. Deal with the fact that you'll have to wait for a table and can't reserve. Order one of everything of their amazing Sri Lankan menu and one of their Colombo gin and tonics. Thank me later.

Kaiho
Dec 2, 2004

Loving Africa Chaps posted:

Spotted a place called kimchee near Holborn the other day. Korean places are popping up all over the place

Yeah but that place is like Pret of Korean food. If you want decent Korean near Holborn, Asadal is trad enough that Korean friends of mine have taken me there, and there's Tohbang a bit further down toward Farringdon.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

sweek0 posted:

Go to Hoppers on Frith Street, which is the new place by the Ghymkana team. Deal with the fact that you'll have to wait for a table and can't reserve. Order one of everything of their amazing Sri Lankan menu and one of their Colombo gin and tonics. Thank me later.

I walked past this the other day after lunch at Koya bar and thought it looked worth checking out. Thanks for the good word, will try and get to it.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
Is there a Japanese place in London that does proper okonomiyaki?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

peanut- posted:

Is there a Japanese place in London that does proper okonomiyaki?

There's a really good stall on Leather Lane that does it.

midori-a-gogo
Feb 26, 2006

feeling a bit green
Pacific Social Club's okonomiyaki is proper. It's Hiroshima-style, though, I imagine you meant Osaka-style?

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
I actually prefer Hiroshima style, but either is good. Thanks, I've been to Pacific Social Club for lunch before and it was excellent, will have to try and get along there for dinner.

MrNemo
Aug 26, 2010

"I just love beeting off"

I went to the goat on Fulham road for lunch just recently. It's down near the Chelsea and Westminster hospital, does basic set of dishes like burger, chicken, cod and good pizzas. They've got a decent set of choices for lunch £10 with a drink included. It's definitely a good choice if you're in the area and fancy something simple.

reality_groove
Dec 27, 2007

Any recommendations for a restaurant in Angel, party of ten. Something lively and not too expensive? Party includes some vegetarians so goon favourite Rodizio Rico is off the table.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

reality_groove posted:

Any recommendations for a restaurant in Angel, party of ten. Something lively and not too expensive? Party includes some vegetarians so goon favourite Rodizio Rico is off the table.

There are the Gallipoli restaurants and other Turkish ones too. Lively, reasonable, decent food, and many veggie options.

sweek0
May 22, 2006

Let me fall out the window
With confetti in my hair
Deal out jacks or better
On a blanket by the stairs
I'll tell you all my secrets
But I lie about my past

reality_groove posted:

The Gate is good for vegetarian food, and Le Mercury (1 and 2) do very good value French cuisine. Zilouf's is good as well and very lively.

Bollock Monkey
Jan 21, 2007

The Almighty

sweek0 posted:

The Gate is good for vegetarian food, and Le Mercury (1 and 2) do very good value French cuisine. Zilouf's is good as well and very lively.
Seconding the Le Mercury recommendation, it's got a good buzz to it, plus the food's fancy enough to feel special and cheap enough to feel reasonable. And when I went with my partner and my veggie brother, all were satisfied.

Anae
Apr 23, 2008
Soo...slightly unusual request that may be simply way too vague to even answer, but thought it might be fun to see if anything comes to mind for you guys. No worries if not.

I have a friend who used to have an eating disorder and it's kind of hosed their enjoyment of food as anything other than a necessity for years. They're starting to get to the point where they want to go out and 'enjoy' a nice meal, but still struggle with heavy meals and generally the feeling of being very full.

So - where would be a great place to go which has excellent food but isn't stodgy/heavy/a big feast that requires stuffing yourself to the gills to really enjoy it?

Restaurants, cuisines, anything really. I know it's slightly impossible to answer but just looking for ideas if anyone has any.

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

Fine dining? Big flavour in tiny portions :)

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

Where's the best fruit ice cream in London? All the supermarkets are pushing vanilla / chocolate / caramel or B&J marshmellow cookie dough junk. Where can I get a good raspberry ripple (or blackberry, blueberry, apricot, boysenberry (!) ripple for that matter)

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Anae posted:

Soo...slightly unusual request that may be simply way too vague to even answer, but thought it might be fun to see if anything comes to mind for you guys. No worries if not.

I have a friend who used to have an eating disorder and it's kind of hosed their enjoyment of food as anything other than a necessity for years. They're starting to get to the point where they want to go out and 'enjoy' a nice meal, but still struggle with heavy meals and generally the feeling of being very full.

So - where would be a great place to go which has excellent food but isn't stodgy/heavy/a big feast that requires stuffing yourself to the gills to really enjoy it?

Restaurants, cuisines, anything really. I know it's slightly impossible to answer but just looking for ideas if anyone has any.

Tapas or small plates like Riding House Cafe? Or good Japanese?

Lady Gaza
Nov 20, 2008

sweat poteto posted:

Where's the best fruit ice cream in London? All the supermarkets are pushing vanilla / chocolate / caramel or B&J marshmellow cookie dough junk. Where can I get a good raspberry ripple (or blackberry, blueberry, apricot, boysenberry (!) ripple for that matter)

I'd also be interested in this as I love a good lemon ice cream or sorbet.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
Ruby Violet in Tufnell Park is very good.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

sweat poteto posted:

Udderlicious

Brand New Malaysian Wife
Apr 5, 2007
I encourage children who are bullied to kill themselves. In fact, I get off to it. Pedophilia-snuff films are the best. More abused children need to kill themselves.

sweat poteto posted:

Riley Ice Cream Cafe in Crouch End is good (albeit wildly overpriced) and as someone else said, Ruby Violet.

Bollock Monkey
Jan 21, 2007

The Almighty

Anae posted:

Something picky and share-y, so tapas, maybe South Indian food (since it's on the whole less rich than other Indian food), and sushi are the things that immediately come to mind.

With that said, not much food has to be eaten to excess to be enjoyed. When I was helping a friend with a similar story to learn how to food again I mainly just took her to places and made sure she didn't feel pressured to eat everything - it's fine to go somewhere and just have a couple of starters or sides instead of a main meal because, y'know, you're paying and so you're the boss. Just make sure to show that you're up for doing the same so that your friend doesn't feel singled out when picking at food instead of ordering the biggest steak or whatever.

I also found that starting out by going to reasonable quality chains was a good way to start with my friend, since it had been so long since she'd been out to eat with friends that going somewhere that felt more anonymous helped her deal with the inherent panic of being in a temple of food. So rather than your friendly neighbourhood, family-owned place for dinner, I'd suggest - say - La Tasca for tapas. That sort of thing, where there's less pressure on them to be all about the etiquette and less fear of being judged for eating this or that in whatever way.

Bollock Monkey fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Nov 24, 2015

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Great thread just landed here and will stay for 6 nights. I'm a Hong Kong goon that just came from Prague and Nuremberg. Man even a random kebab place here beats Germany and Hong Kong.

I'm staying near royal oak and just now walked along Oxford circus and Leicester square. I do see a few pop up viet places in china town and do wonder if they taste decent. Then again it's much easier for me to eat east and south East Asian so I'm probably eyeing for British food.

A really good Dutch restaurant in Amsterdam impressed me. I never knew potatoes could be cooked that delicious and croquettes need to be fried in the right temperature without being too hot and hard.

Anyways I'm trying to find this place called salt which keeps on getting mentioned here. You guys got any good micro brew beer bars to recommend?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

80% of the reason I'm visiting HK next year is food. :saddowns:

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

The_Doctor posted:

80% of the reason I'm visiting HK next year is food. :saddowns:

Passing through there in january. Wife has already booked 1 2 star restaurant :dance:. We're going to Lung King Heen until we spotted shark fins on the menu

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

caberham posted:

Great thread just landed here and will stay for 6 nights. I'm a Hong Kong goon that just came from Prague and Nuremberg. Man even a random kebab place here beats Germany and Hong Kong.

I'm staying near royal oak and just now walked along Oxford circus and Leicester square. I do see a few pop up viet places in china town and do wonder if they taste decent. Then again it's much easier for me to eat east and south East Asian so I'm probably eyeing for British food.

A really good Dutch restaurant in Amsterdam impressed me. I never knew potatoes could be cooked that delicious and croquettes need to be fried in the right temperature without being too hot and hard.

Anyways I'm trying to find this place called salt which keeps on getting mentioned here. You guys got any good micro brew beer bars to recommend?

I think maybe people are talking about Salt Yard? It's a good tapas place.

Go to Koya bar for amazing handmade udon. Great Queen Street does good modern British.