Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

SneakyFrog posted:

What vpn you use?

Vyprvpn

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jst0rm
Sep 16, 2012
Grimey Drawer

XK posted:

I assumed their usage of "bandwidth" was a really tortured way of referring to production capacity. Really, though, even if metal cards might be a little harder to produce than plastic credit cards, I'm pretty sure any competent manufacturer's production run on silk screened metal sheets is limited only by the money the customer is paying. Even if it were etched, embossed, and pad printed, you could easily produce millions with people paying $10 a piece.

I'm assuming these cards are aluminum. I actually looked this up: ISO/IEC 7810 Identification cards — Physical characteristics is an international standard that defines the physical characteristics for identification cards. ID-1 standard, which almost all banking cards, identification cards, and driver's licenses adhere to internationally: 85.60 mm * 53.98 mm * 0.76 mm. This is 3.5cc. Aluminum is 2.7 grams per cc. This gives 9.5 grams in a card. Aluminum is currently 70 cents per pound. Each card would contain $0.0146 of metal. Let's say 1.5 cents. I'm completely spit-balling here, but let's quadruple it to 6 cents for high quality rolled sheets, and triple it again to stamp it out and run a press onto it. Those cards are maybe 18 cents a piece to make. Put a 40% manufacturer mark-up on them and they might be paying 25 cents a piece for them. Depending on how they package them, their shipping cost might be a couple bucks on average per recipient.

So, these dumb cards are easily in the neighborhood of $7 pure profit each.

Those amex black carbon fiber cards cant be cheap but why would cig do anything but cheap out at every step.

Banano
Jan 10, 2005
Soiled Meat
ah, so you were doing LTI laundering for others.

Their own records would show what you received and returned. So they are trying to say that you gifted away more than you actually spent and thus you somehow are in negative money spent? :psyduck:

Good news if you live in a western style democracy because there will be a consumer/criminal law that fucks them in the rear end. In the UK we have the citizens advice bureau for free legal advice on minor/consumer matters, if you have an equivalent I suggest you give them a call.

...............................................:gary:.....................................................

Loiosh
Jul 25, 2010

OhDearGodNo posted:

Great, now I'm going to have to put effort into a post.

Hang tight junior, this will take a little while.

Just to save some time, my source for the GTA V information was here: http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2013/sep/07/grand-theft-auto-dan-houser and http://www.develop-online.net/studio-profile/inside-rockstar-north-part-1-the-vision/0183989 The latter: "For GTA V, that discussion started as GTA IV was wrapping up – almost five years ago – although the latest game has been in full production for just three years." Similar, though longer for Fallout 4: "The development spanned seven years, delivering successes, failures, and unexpected detours like porting Skyrim to the Xbox One (keep reading). Just 25 days before Fallout 4 releases, the creators sound off on the lengthy development process" source: http://www.gameinformer.com/b/features/archive/2015/11/06/the-making-of-fallout-4.aspx?PostPageIndex=1

The first two years for FO4 were mostly preproduction (artwork) and setting their target, location research and technology research, like deciding to switch to a deferred renderer. Then full production slowly ramped up. One thing to note is that Bethesda's RPG team is significantly smaller than CIG. I recall the article mentioning they've stuck with a team size of around 100, compared to Rockstar's size of over 1,000.

That's what I based my statement on, I just didn't link the GTAV blogs to keep the size down.

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

Jst0rm posted:

Those amex black carbon fiber cards cant be cheap but why would cig do anything but cheap out at every step.

my metal amex got replaced with a regular black plastic one when they added the chip on the front in the US. i miss it.

(it's a company card, unfortunately i'm not a whale or id buy all the jpegs).

Jst0rm
Sep 16, 2012
Grimey Drawer

Romes128 posted:

my metal amex got replaced with a regular black plastic one when they added the chip on the front in the US. i miss it.

you have a black amex thru work? Good job.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Eonwe posted:

Vyprvpn

My girlfriend says thank you 2nd favorite shitposter

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Romes128 posted:

Just use the company card to buy all kinds of jpegs, and when your boss asks, just point him to the graph showing the jpeg market rapidly rising

LCL-Dead
Apr 22, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Jst0rm posted:

I dont understand any of that however cant you look at your cc statement and see how much you paid in and small claims them for that minus the gift stuff you bought?

We're talking payments made over a 3 year span. I didn't do this all at once.

However, I am not that worried about receiving the full $700+ back as I made more than I spent on Reddit. I just want the amount that's still on the account back, which is right at what they really do owe me.

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

spacetoaster posted:

Laser etched metal business cards. You can get a little over a thousand for $1.70.

Throw some star citizen art and you could probably make a better VIP card for yourself.

http://metalcards.com/pricing.html

Fake edit* And how pissed would the special snowflakes be if they say peons like us having better looking cards than them? lol

That's $1.70 per card, and they're 0.01 inch thick vs. standard card thickness of 0.03. Flimsy as poo poo. Also, their width and height dimensions are both about 1/8 inch out from standard card dimensions, so they'd be kind of awkward if you were trying to role-play it as a real ID card.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

SneakyFrog posted:

My girlfriend says thank you 2nd favorite shitposter

Np friend

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard
Note the "clever" names like Class-D Smart Missile, RANT and LOD.

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

Jst0rm posted:

By far, the expensive part of carbon fiber stuff is the molding process. Little flat cards don't require very much molding.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Just a reminder

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx

Sappo569 posted:

Just a reminder

This was proven to be fake I believe. I think the new policy at CIG is to not give release dates on anything, ever. Also the sig that guy has gives it away.

Loiosh
Jul 25, 2010

Sappo569 posted:

Just a reminder

I honestly entirely doubt that SC will launch in 2016. I could see some part 1 of SQ42, but I don't think it has a chance of a 2016 launch. I also suspect they're going to have to cut down on the diddling with the ships (the amount of iterations of design work they do). Having a production bottleneck that slow (large ships take 3-6 months) is bad when you are concerned about ongoing income.

As an odd coincidence: a battleship in World of Warships takes six months from selection to release in game.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

A Neurotic Jew posted:

This was proven to be fake I believe. I think the new policy at CIG is to not give release dates on anything, ever. Also the sig that guy has gives it away.

You're probably right,

But they haven't banned the poster or closed the thread, a little out of the norm for the mods

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Loiosh posted:

I honestly entirely doubt that SC will launch in 2016. I could see some part 1 of SQ42, but I don't think it has a chance of a 2016 launch. I also suspect they're going to have to cut down on the diddling with the ships (the amount of iterations of design work they do). Having a production bottleneck that slow (large ships take 3-6 months) is bad when you are concerned about ongoing income.

As an odd coincidence: a battleship in World of Warships takes six months from selection to release in game.

World Of Warships, a game you can play, while waiting for more ships to be added

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

Enchanted Hat posted:

I mean, yeah, it's pretty obvious that having this card is going to get you laid, but it's still a dumb thing for them to be selling.

I am pretty sure "This card is a guaranteed lie" does not mean what the majority of cultists think it means ...

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Once anyone receives their card, what is the usage scenario? Their relatives happen to stumble upon it while scooping their junk into a garbage bag after their death?

walruscat
Apr 27, 2013

Eonwe posted:

Honestly, I wouldn't say the combat is great. Its plays like Diablo II in some ways. The only reason I recommend it is because its full loot and even for a gaming community the people are incredibly thin skinned.

I wouldn't recommend buying in. I'd just wait till launch in early 2016 when it launches F2P, but you can also get into the beta and get some funbux to spend for $30 if you desperately want to.

Did they change the territory pvp from 5v5 arena to open world sandbox pvp?

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Dapper Dan posted:

Yeah and 3 to 4 years later there is absolutely nothing indicating that poo poo exists. There are only disparate, broken as gently caress, poorly optimized 'modules' with no sense of how they will fit together.

They had to use year old footage for a 'sneak preview' of their alpha 2.0. Nobody except Star Citizen fucktards would let a developer get away with pulling that poo poo. And it wasn't even loving gameplay. It was an old pre reneder. They couldn't even be loving bothered to put together a new pre render. And their excuse for not showing anything? 'Oh it is in Q&A, not much to show'.

For your retarded brain, that means the thing is nearly done and only bugs are being worked out. So there is plenty to show in theory. But nope, not a thing.

Anyone who has half a loving brain can smell the poo poo coming from this unwashed rear end in a top hat of a project and has enough sense to stay the gently caress away. They haven't met one deadline and all the other poo poo that went on, and you are describing loving features that haven't been demonstrated after 90 million. They haven't even proved they can get the server architecture for a PU. Only people as loving stupid as you would give this any thought at this point.

^this. All of it. But hey, when I say it, those Redditards create a sub-Red dedicated solely to pointless attacks. But I already gave them another ultimatum before I burn down their JPEGs.

https://twitter.com/dsmart/status/663796407816617984

D_Smart fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Nov 10, 2015

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

D_Smart posted:

^this. All of it. But hey, when I say it, those Redditards create a sub-Red dedicated solely to pointless attacks. But already gave them another ultimatum before I burn down their JPEGs.

https://twitter.com/dsmart/status/663796407816617984

lol @ a literal white knight defending star citizen.

Loiosh
Jul 25, 2010

Sappo569 posted:

World Of Warships, a game you can play, while waiting for more ships to be added

A good one too! Just the right amount of grind so that you can gently caress around without needing to invest money. I kinda stopped for a little while at Tier VII (gently caress the Nagato), to wait for another country to be added. American BBs, the less said the better.

cutie
Oct 22, 2010

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Loiosh posted:

A good one too! Just the right amount of grind so that you can gently caress around without needing to invest money. I kinda stopped for a little while at Tier VII (gently caress the Nagato), to wait for another country to be added. American BBs, the less said the better.

I love those games (World of Tanks) etc, have managed quite a few hours of entertainment out of them and never paid a dime

But the ability is there if you want to spend $5-10 here and there you're free to, not forced to like some OTHER games :gary:

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

Karl seems pissed again.

Raskolnikov
Nov 25, 2003

Here is my little poo poo being so cute I have no idea what to do.

~Blue cat vet blues~

XK posted:

Once anyone receives their card, what is the usage scenario? Their relatives happen to stumble upon it while scooping their junk into a garbage bag after their death?
This is so real it is almost like this post is from the future.

Othin
Nov 20, 2002

Hair Elf

Raskolnikov posted:

Here is my little poo poo being so cute I have no idea what to do.

~Blue cat vet blues~

Making some headway with the catte puppet show I see

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

AP posted:

Karl seems pissed again.

I didn't think it was a great idea to do the interview either, but it's hilarious that they've turned it into 'Friends with nazis and possibly a baby killer also Derek hates women'

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

I just realised I haven't posted a pic of my house panther yet

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx

XK posted:

CIG claims it will be used as a pass for Star Citizen "events".

blueberrysmith
May 4, 2006

Dirty Sanchez

fuctifino posted:

I just realised I haven't posted a pic of my house panther yet

Nice catte. The claws on that thing invoke fear.

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx

Sappo569 posted:

I didn't think it was a great idea to do the interview either, but it's hilarious that they've turned it into 'Friends with nazis and possibly a baby killer also Derek hates women'

It's especially funny because Chris Roberts is also friends with Vox and together they batted around the idea of him having a role in developing Star Citizen.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

A Neurotic Jew posted:

It's especially funny because Chris Roberts is also friends with Vox and together they batted around the idea of him having a role in developing Star Citizen.

That kind of talk will get you dead Citizen

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

A Neurotic Jew posted:

It was "proven" to be fake by a guy who ran the jpeg through a forensic algorithm that detected compression artifacts.

Spoiler: it found compression artifacts around everything that wasn't the solid white background because that is how jpegs loving work.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

I gave my grocery store $15000 the other day, I don't mind that they haven't delivered any of the food I ordered by the deadline they initially estimated.

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx

Ghostlight posted:

It was "proven" to be fake by a guy who ran the jpeg through a forensic algorithm that detected compression artifacts.

Spoiler: it found compression artifacts around everything that wasn't the solid white background because that is how jpegs loving work.

lol. ok nevermind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stanko-Prussian
May 22, 2006

CLEAN YOUR ROOM!, 'they' said.
DO YOUR HOMEWORK!, 'they' said.
WHY ARE YOU IN LOVE WITH A CARTOON PONY, 'they' said.
FOR GODSAKE! STOP SHOWING US YOUR BLACKHOLE'!! 'they' said.

When I lit the match....STOP SCREAMING, 'I' said

you ever see something and immediately wonder why it took so long to appear?
:vince:

• Locked thread