Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Asura Rhino gets the same vibe that Genos does during the DEATH punch and Garou does. When Saitama starts threatening to actually attack, his targets brick themselves and realise it.

I forget if that happens during the Boros fight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blinks77
Feb 15, 2012

Josuke Higashikata posted:

I forget if that happens during the Boros fight.

Boros was rather completely lacking in a self preservation instinct.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Blinks77 posted:

Boros was rather completely lacking in a self preservation instinct.

Probably because the normal punches could not actually kill him like they could everyone else. Due to his regeneration and durability.

Also people remember that guidebook that stated that Boros was a Dragon Level threat. According to people that could read it, that is only in his base form. In his more powerful states he is ranked as a god level threat.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I think I read that the first popularity contest for the original version listed Boros as God-Level, but when the remake came out with a guidebook he was called "Dragon-Level" on his file and "at least Dragon-Level" on the Q&A section.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

I don't think a true god level threat has appeared yet, not even Perfect Garou.

Kegslayer
Jul 23, 2007

mabels big day posted:

I don't think a true god level threat has appeared yet, not even Perfect Garou.

Garou and Boros definitely felt like God level threats with Garou many levels above a monster who travelled halfway across the galaxy for a fight.

I doubt any of the S Class heroes there could have touched Garou when he was all leveled up which is what made his fight with Saitama so unfair for him.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I would consider Boros a god level threat because if you remove Saitama from the equation, Boros kills all of the S classes and wipes out the planet with his planet buster attack if he wants to.

I wouldn't consider Garou a god level threat because even though he eventually wound up being strong enough to likely do that (with Saitama's help boosting him, almost definitely so), there was zero intent to kill people there. He's god level without the intent of being a real global threat, which almost removes him from the threat scale to me.

ONE supposedly said that Garou and Boros were equal overall, with Boros having more raw power and his planet buster while Garou was a better fighter.

SHAOLIN FUCKFIEND
Jan 21, 2008

What do you reckon Garou did after he disappeared?

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Ate some ramen with licenceless rider.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

SHAOLIN FUCKFIEND posted:

What do you reckon Garou did after he disappeared?

Thought over things and decided he'd rather be a true hero

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
It would be nice to see Garou entering the Hero Association.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.

Brainamp posted:

Ate some ramen with licenceless rider.

Or maybe they grabbed some takoyaki from the retired House of Evolution dudes.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

He's waiting for a call back on his application into Saitama's harem of acquaintances.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Garou will show up when there's an appropriate threat that he couldn't chump in place of Saitama.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
If Garou became a hero he still wouldn't go the official route.

KoB
May 1, 2009

Clarste posted:

Depends on what the mark-up is. Printing discs in bulk isn't exactly expensive.

What do you think "expensive" means? Printing discs/cases in bulk and distribution isnt cheap.

e: I dont mean to sound supportive of the ridiculous price points for anime, but the cost of physical media isnt negligible.

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

Kegslayer posted:

Garou and Boros definitely felt like God level threats with Garou many levels above a monster who travelled halfway across the galaxy for a fight.

I doubt any of the S Class heroes there could have touched Garou when he was all leveled up which is what made his fight with Saitama so unfair for him.
Yeah I don't know, I think Boros is actually the strongest being in the series so far besides Saitama. He (apparently) had the power to blow up a planet, which Garou did not. And he knocked Saitama to the moon.

Of course when Murata redraws the Garou fight who knows what he will come up with!

KoB
May 1, 2009
Boros is more of an unknown since he didnt face any other heroes.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I don't really feel as though there's any reason at all to doubt that he would have stomped everyone else with ease. Even Saitama is surprised of the speed he has, even if it's no match for his own.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??
I think Boros is the only God-Level threat so far, because that tier is defined as "a threat to the planet or civilization as we know it." So power levels aside, even if Garo was actually a better fighter, Boros is the only one we've seen who could've wiped out the planet Earth. He himself could destroy the planet with his planet buster, and he also had a ship that was capable of instantly leveling cities, giving him two different means of being a God Tier Threat.

Garou is probably stronger than Boros, using Saitama as our vague yardstick, but Garou didn't kill anybody and had no intention of wiping out civilization. Going by the threat level scale, he's only Demon - a threat that will majorly disrupt the functioning of society and likely cause loss of life. His ability to just mess up the hero association endlessly still means he needed dealing with, but it isn't like he was going to then go and destroy any cities or civilians. He's definitely more than Tiger level, though - his actions probably lead to indirect loss of life just because he took so many heroes off the streets. But he isn't going to go on and end the planet like Boros was both willing and able to do.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
The hero association's categories are entirely artificial, though. They are just arbitrary labels some bureaucrats invented. I don't really trust the amazing minds who spent hours coming up with "Caped Baldy" to discern much of anything concerning how strong a given monster is.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Actually I kinda like it that they're not power levels, just threat levels. So yeah Garou has a lower threat level than most of the random monsters just because he's not interested in anyone but heroes.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

KoB posted:

Boros is more of an unknown since he didnt face any other heroes.

Yeah, Watchdog-Man woulda wiped the floor with him.

KoB
May 1, 2009

Serious Frolicking posted:

The hero association's categories are entirely artificial, though. They are just arbitrary labels some bureaucrats invented. I don't really trust the amazing minds who spent hours coming up with "Caped Baldy" to discern much of anything concerning how strong a given monster is.

They spent hours on Demon Cyborg, they threw out Caped Baldy because they didnt care about him.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Shugojin posted:

Actually I kinda like it that they're not power levels, just threat levels. So yeah Garou has a lower threat level than most of the random monsters just because he's not interested in anyone but heroes.

His level was probably below Tiger, even.

For all the poo poo he spouted about murder, Garou never killed anyone that wasn't a monster, did he?

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

TheKingofSprings posted:

His level was probably below Tiger, even.

For all the poo poo he spouted about murder, Garou never killed anyone that wasn't a monster, did he?

He did not, but Tiger is basically joke-monster tier. Also Garou seriously injured so many people that the lack of murder doesn't make him less of a threat.

The threat levels are, in order from least dangerous to most:

Tiger: A threat to the functioning of society, will possibly cause loss of life. Crabrante, Octoclaw, and all the other minor monsters are at this level. Monster Kombu was also given this threat level, even though they took out two A-Class heroes before being assigned a level.

Demon: A major threat to the functioning of society. Will probably cause heavy collateral damage and loss of life is likely. The Sea King and Mosquito Girl were assigned this level. The majority of serious threats end up at level Demon - it takes serious firepower to get ranked higher. Even the Giant from chapter 3, who ended up taking out both B City and D City, was only ranked at threat level Demon. I'd place Garou here because destroying the hero association is a major threat to society's ability to function, he caused a lot of structural damage on several occasions, and crippling the hero society almost certainly caused some unnecessary loss of life just because heroes weren't available.

Dragon: A threat that can destroy the functioning of society. Will cause heavy damage and loss of life. Threats at this level can destroy entire cities. Black Sperm, Natural Water, Homeless Emperor, and the Meteor were assigned this level. Asura Rhino and Vaccine Man are probably around here too but were never assigned a rating.

God: A threat that can destroy the planet or society as we know it. Boros is the only one who has been undeniably at this level, although Vaccine Man could have maybe gotten up here if Saitama hadn't nipped him in the bud. Saitama's dream version of the Underground People would also be a god level threat - wiping out 70% of humanity in a single day or obliterating an entire city in under a minute is the kind of stuff that gets this level assigned to it.

gnome7 fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Nov 10, 2015

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Technically the Giant's dead body wiped out a city in under a minute. :v:

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

RatHat posted:

Technically the Giant's dead body wiped out a city in under a minute. :v:

what, you want to be the one to tell king he's been assigned a threat level?

Tobias Grant
May 16, 2009

Lucky for you, I'm a dog lover.
Y'all are mental if you think Garou was anywhere near Boros. Garou is the better technical fighter, yeah, but Boros' sheer strength, speed, and regeneration put him miles ahead.

talking about webcomic character power levels ITT.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Most of Garou's ability came from being a martial artist, too. Meaning, he was specialized in fighting humans which was how he was able to fight Saitama at all. He wouldn't be able to predict any non-human's moves at all. Really, while he was very good at beating up heroes most of the s class heroes are probably much better than Garou at fighting monsters.

Now let me show you this numeric power level chart I made...

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Yeah, I never got the impression that Garou was stronger than Frieza either.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Garou's power was how long it took Saitama to show up against him.

Jintor
May 19, 2014

Serious Frolicking posted:

If Garou became a hero he still wouldn't go the official route.

dude's gonna die protecting the world... somehow.

as a monster.

monster-hero.

Davinci
Feb 21, 2013
I always got the feeling that if Boros went all out on Garou at the beginning of the fight then Garou would have been obliterated. However, that if Boros decided to go easy on him for really any length of time than Garou's absurdly high potential for learning and developing his skills would kick in and he would be able to match and maybe surpass Boros in battle.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Boros' idea of going easy was knocking someone to the moon.

Jintor
May 19, 2014

batato is demanding i sign up to read archives. anywhere else where ONE translations are stored besides imgur (no grand chapter database afaik)?

/edit nevermind, it works if you select the drop down menu on the chapter itself. You just can't go directly from the OPM mainpage or whatever and I was fooled because all the previous chapter links were broken.

Jintor fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Nov 10, 2015

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

gnome7 posted:

He did not, but Tiger is basically joke-monster tier. Also Garou seriously injured so many people that the lack of murder doesn't make him less of a threat.

The threat levels are, in order from least dangerous to most:

Tiger: A threat to the functioning of society, will possibly cause loss of life. Crabrante, Octoclaw, and all the other minor monsters are at this level. Monster Kombu was also given this threat level, even though they took out two A-Class heroes before being assigned a level.

Demon: A major threat to the functioning of society. Will probably cause heavy collateral damage and loss of life is likely. The Sea King and Mosquito Girl were assigned this level. The majority of serious threats end up at level Demon - it takes serious firepower to get ranked higher. Even the Giant from chapter 3, who ended up taking out both B City and D City, was only ranked at threat level Demon. I'd place Garou here because destroying the hero association is a major threat to society's ability to function, he caused a lot of structural damage on several occasions, and crippling the hero society almost certainly caused some unnecessary loss of life just because heroes weren't available.

Dragon: A threat that can destroy the functioning of society. Will cause heavy damage and loss of life. Threats at this level can destroy entire cities. Black Sperm, Natural Water, Homeless Emperor, and the Meteor were assigned this level. Asura Rhino and Vaccine Man are probably around here too but were never assigned a rating.

God: A threat that can destroy the planet or society as we know it. Boros is the only one who has been undeniably at this level, although Vaccine Man could have maybe gotten up here if Saitama hadn't nipped him in the bud. Saitama's dream version of the Underground People would also be a god level threat - wiping out 70% of humanity in a single day or obliterating an entire city in under a minute is the kind of stuff that gets this level assigned to it.

You forgot wolf

its Wolf<Tiger<Demon<Dragon<God as far as we know.

The first sea king monster (His herald or what not) was only a wolf.

Jintor
May 19, 2014

man, re-reading the villain association assault is so much fun. I hadn't picked up the first time through that King accidentally disabled Evil Natural Water because Water reacts to killing intent, and King not having any neutralised it.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Davinci posted:

I always got the feeling that if Boros went all out on Garou at the beginning of the fight then Garou would have been obliterated. However, that if Boros decided to go easy on him for really any length of time than Garou's absurdly high potential for learning and developing his skills would kick in and he would be able to match and maybe surpass Boros in battle.

Wasn't part of the point of the Garou vs Saitama fight that evolving too far made him weaker instead of stronger?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

RatHat posted:

Wasn't part of the point of the Garou vs Saitama fight that evolving too far made him weaker instead of stronger?

I think Garou was on the verge of breaking his limiter, but fighting against Saitama drove him to so much despair that he gave up the chance to do so in order to become a mysterious being instead. Which ties into Saitama's whole speech about Garou giving up on being a hero and taking the easy way out.