Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Camel Pimp
May 17, 2008

This poster survived LPing Lunar: Dragon Song. Let's give her a hand.
Chapter 13: Don't be a Creep

Hmmm... He appears to be cursed.
I thought he was being controlled.
He's being controlled and cursed.
Wow. Sucks to be him.

The only way to break it is to destroy the source.
Go figure. I bet the Vile Tribe's behind this, huh? Maybe we ought to leave this to teachers.
Ha!
I'm being serious!
Ha ha ha!

You yourself just said that you've been working so hard...
Umm...
Ha ha ha!
STOP LAUGHING.

Ho ho ho! Will you go?

A flash and a shake later.

That's not strictly right.

Wait, what? What are you talking about? C'mon! Spill it, old man! Hurry!
Well, you see... Ohh... No time. That's the Vile Tribe's castle.
Wait, wh-

That's amazing! Where the hell are we?
THAT is Demon Castle D, the Vile Tribe's stronghold.
Wow! It's incredible!
...that's what SHE said.

:hf:
...okay.

The Vile Tribe will be on the top floor. We just have to climb the stairs.
At least their castle came to us, huh...? Will we be able to beat them?
The three of us should be more than sufficient.
Wait, you're coming with us?
I wouldn't send you into such hostile territory alone!

Can- can I hug you?
Well, sir, I do appreciate it, but-

There's probably way more than three of THEM in there! I hope you're up to it, gramps...

Spoilers he's up to it.

Quick run down on his spells; Hoi! is a status spell of some description, Hoo! damages all enemies, Ha! instantly kills all non-boss enemies, and Soiree is a single target spell. Hoo! and Soiree are the only ones worth using. Hoi! never works and doesn't seem to do anything, so it's as useless as every other status spell in the game, and killing enemies with Ha! doesn't give you experience.

After the slog of the last chapter, the game has decided to throw us a bone. Despite being the Vile Tribe castle, it's not a super long or complicated dungeon.

Although there's an impassable door somewhere on the first floor, which suggests that we'll be here later, probably without Glen, and they'll probably stick a really annoying labyrinth there.

But for now we've got Glen tagging along. I actually had Ellie and Lena just defend every round, since there really was no point in them doing anything. So all those fancy new spells I got? Never really used them. They'll see use next chapter, though.

For some odd reason enemies here LOVED dropping items.

Of course, I'm full up on items I never use anyway. Also, I believe this game doesn't technically allow you to have a full inventory; you always have to have one empty space. Probably to make it so you always have space for plot important items.

But in sad news we're now forced to fight cats and dogs. And there's no "pet" option. :(

In any case, it's super short.

What? You're still alive, Glen? And still a creep.
You have no room to judge me.

And poof!

I'll get you back for that, old man!
When did you...!?
This isn't good! You're awake already!?
Hah! This child will be happier under my control than he ever would be at Iyen!
Are you kidding? To you he's just a tool to be used and thrown away! You just don't want to get your own hands dirty! But don't you worry. We'll wake him up!
Just you wait, you mean old hag!
Hmph! Big words from such a small girl!
I am NOT small!

Hahah! You tell her, Lena!
Rrgh...! You're one to talk, old man!

Okay, so I might have alluded to the fact that I really don't like Barua. Well, this is why. Barua's rather weird and creepy and... okay, I'm just going to say it, rape-y obsession with controlling an under-aged boy's mind? Yeah, it's really her only character trait. And it's a joke. Yeah.

Perhaps it's a bit hypocritical for me to bitch so much about this; I mean, Ghaleon in Lunar the Silver Star put 15 year old Luna in bondage gear and I didn't say much about that at the time. And arguably that's worse, as we're talking the active sexualization of an underage character. Although, at the very loving least, Ghaleon had other character traits and didn't go around saying "I sure love putting 15 year olds in bondage gear!" I'm not defending that creepy bit of Lunar 1, please don't get me wrong, but I just want to explain why I really hate Barua.

Of course, I'll admit my distaste for this might be due to the fact I knew, right away, that if I ever LPed this game Barua the super creep would garner the most discussion. And it would bring other super creeps right out the woodwork. So, to quote a fellow LPer; don't be a creep. Don't be a creep! Don't be a loving creep. Okay? Okay.

This is something I cannot forgive!
Wow! It's rare to see you get all fired up like this, Ellie!
Well, except for when our teachers are being stupid. Oh, and Taco Tuesday for some reason.
You saw those cheap, nasty taco shells right? Stella is better than that Taco Bell nonsense and we both know it!

Impudent little girl! I cannot stand brats like you! I love Taco Bell!
Mistress Barua... Let me take care of them! They just got lucky last time!
Heheh... As you wish! Show me what you can do!

Pictured: what he can do.

be a threat to you, Glen.
It seems that I'll just have to take you down myself!

Barua is the... closest thing to a hard fight this chapter.

She can do some damage, so Lena can't snooze the whole time. Still, she'll whiff against Glen, and Glen will ensure that it's a short battle.

Ellie can help, but she might as well sit on her hands the whole time. With Glen Soiree-ing it lasts about 3 turns.

I haven't given up on Winn yet!

She's caused a lot of problems in the past.
Pfft! Go on and run, loser! The Vile Tribe will never win against Iyen magicians!

Ohh... Um... Huh? Where am I?
You don't have a clue, huh? You were being controlled by the Vile Tribe!
Huh? Oh yeah... I remember some Vile Tribe woman appearing, then... Ooogh, it's all fuzzy.
You don't remember anything else?
I- really needed an adult?
Yeah, we got that. Anything else?

Uhm... Hm... I was at Iyen! I think. Right? Is this part of Iyen Island? I've been pretty confused about the geography so far.
You're a pretty simple guy when you get down to it, aren't you?

Ouch...
Owned.
No, I'm... actually in a bit of pain. What happened to me?
Well we kinda had to beat you up a bit.
Wh- what? Why?
Well you were destroying a lot of stuff.
I did what?!
Don't worry, we beat that out of you.

You've got a lot to learn, m'boy!
We'll whip the ignorance right out of him!
Please not literally.
Eh. I was thinking it'll be more of a punching motion.

Incidentally, he does have a great deal of power. Do please take him to Steele for me.
Steele? You mean the Principal? You know him, gramps?

Back then? He knew less than you do now! And now he's become the principal of the school.
Wow! You must have been a great teacher!

Uh, dumb question, but...
Just who ARE you people?
We're... I guess you could call us upperclassmen.
And that means, as a freshman... You need to respect our authority!

Leave it to us! We'll introduce you to our professor!
Now we just have to walk all the way back to Iyen...
Well at least the monsters are all gone. We could just about skip home!
Right, PROFESSOR Glen!? :h:
Ho ho ho! I'm not teleporting you back.
You wrinkly little jerk.

As for the remake, sadly, yes, Barua is in it as well. She also shows up much earlier, as early as chapter two. Winn's introduction, though, occurs later than hers, and is actually very similar in Magic School. He shows up right after Senia leaves, he's approached and then mind controlled by Barua, and then starts blowing up stuff. You even get Glen in your party temporarily (yes he is temporary I imagine you are surprised) and go to the Vile Castle. Honestly, out of all the chapters in Magic School, Winn's intro seems to be the one closest to the original.

Camel Pimp fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Aug 21, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Derek Barona
Dec 8, 2009

WHO'S YOUR FRIEND?!
I'm not really sure what to say. On the one hand, yeah, she was kinda creepy. On the other hand, Lena did own her pretty hard with that one line.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
I'm having trouble seeing Barua's battle sprite as anything other than her sitting on a giant pile of poo. What is that supposed to be in the background of her sprite anyway?

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

I'm having trouble seeing Barua's battle sprite as anything other than her sitting on a giant pile of poo. What is that supposed to be in the background of her sprite anyway?

Pretty sure that's supposed to be her cape...

FH_Meta
Feb 20, 2011
And I thought it was a snake.

Picayune
Feb 26, 2007

cannot be unseen
Taco Defender

Glen's attacks make me think of the quarterstaff bit from Robin Hood Daffy--"Hoi! Hoo! Ha! Soiree! Parry! Thrust--" BWANG

So now I'm just going to picture Glen repeatedly smacking himself in the face with a quarterstaff.

Like so: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mw9vaNS3b0s

GrizzlyCow
May 30, 2011

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Thanks jerk. Now I can't unsee the poop stool.

Wayne
Oct 18, 2014

He who fights too long against dragons becomes a dragon himself

Kheldarn posted:

Pretty sure that's supposed to be her cape...

Yeah, she has a cape in her on-field sprite, gotta be that. It should really be a brighter red, but I guess that's palette limitations for ya....

That whole chapter reminded me of Marjoly from Rhapsody. She's also an older (late 30s/early 40s probably?) woman who's the head of a group of villains, and steals away a much younger man for herself because she thinks he's hot. In her case the guy in question is Cornet's love interest, and the entire game is basically "NI uses their formula to make a Disney movie," so there's the expectation that you'll rescue him and there's no real threat of the game cashing its metaphorical statutory check.

Anyway, CP, just in case:

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Man, college really changed Temmie.

Seriously, though, it seems a bit late in the game to get a traditional mentor character, though the stretch of game he's present for is still nice and small.

Camel Pimp
May 17, 2008

Wayne posted:

Anyway, CP, just in case:

:tipshat:

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
I just noticed this now, but what is Lena wearing on her head?

SorataYuy
Jul 17, 2014

That... didn't even make sense.

Mraagvpeine posted:

I just noticed this now, but what is Lena wearing on her head?

Some sort of... Chinese hat?

Elric
Mar 31, 2011

Gasp. Someone from the Vile tribe did something evil. I cannot believe it.

Poulpe
Nov 11, 2006
Canadian Santa Extraordinaire

SorataYuy posted:

Some sort of... Chinese hat?

Aw, the sprite really makes it look like some weirdly ornate crown. Given her personality, that wouldn't be shocking.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Poulpe posted:

Aw, the sprite really makes it look like some weirdly ornate crown. Given her personality, that wouldn't be shocking.

Looks more like a sandwich to me...

And that kind of fits, since food always seems to be on her mind...

Camel Pimp
May 17, 2008

Chapter 14: Padding

All right, I'm going to warn you now; even for this game, this chapter is pointless. Yes, in the game that consists of nothing but filler, this is filler.

A scholarship! It's about time they recognized how awesome we are.
I guess. I just didn't realize that we were paying to go here.
Wait we're paying to go here?
Well, I mean, why else give us a scholarship?
To recognize our awesomeness of course!
...yes, but there's no point in giving us a scholarship unless we were paying money.
Of course there is. To recognize our awesomeness!
What I don't get is why Winn got one too. Uh, no offense.
None... taken?
I mean, it's just we've fended off the Vile Tribe twice, and saved people a whole bunch of other times. All you've done is blow up the school. Which was cool, don't get me wrong, but not something you get scholarships for.
I... figured it was for my academic excellence?
...you've got a looooot to learn about this place.

Well, he IS the principal. He's probably busy.
Yeah, I guess.
Huh? There's a letter on the desk!

"In the meantime, Professor Dadis needed to ask you something. You should see him and find out more. Steele."
Well, we've got nothing better to do! And it HAS been a while since we met with him. Let's head over to his place!

Before that, however, we've got a new party member! Let's see what he's about.

Winn seems to have picked up Ant's old spells, but unlike Ant he's actually got the MP to use them. Well... barely. 73 MP isn't a lot, and Winn's spells are all MP hogs. Ice Lance and Rain Breath are "only" 12 MP and 14 MP respectively. Blue D and White D are a staggering 23 MP and 25 MP. (I assume Blue D and White D stands for Blue Dragon and White Dragon. LunarNET calls them "Bulldy" and "Whidy" which makes even less sense.) They're very powerful group spells, some of the most powerful in the game, but he can't cast them much. Add to the fact that he's quite fragile right now, we're gonna be babysitting him for most of the chapter. Thankfully he'll also gain levels very quickly, alleviating the problem. Which is good, because he's our final party member.

Wait, what am I saying? That's no big deal.

For the most part, most everyone is praising the girls (and Winn) but there are a couple of jerks.

Since you've got scholarships, we can just leave eeeeverything to you, now!
Why- why do I not like the sound of that?
Ah don't worry about it.
Yeah, we've just kind of accepted that everyone is lazy and useless and makes us solve their problems for them.
O- oh.

But since YOU were able to manage it they seem to be catering to the lowest common denominator...
Okay, so next time you save everyone from the Vile Tribe.
Yeah, that's what I thought.

I'm sure some of my students would get scholarships if they didn't spend so much time singing!
Wow rude.

Huh, one of the few students not talking about the scholarship. HM.

Oh, there's a new robe available! As you can probably guess, this is the highest tier. I've only got enough for two of these robes, so Ellie and Lena both get one.

But thankfully, you don't actually lose the old robe if you swap it out. Winn gets one of the left over Trio Robes, and the other one gets sold.

Time for new spells! This one is an even more powerful party heal spell.

I found this book not too long ago, and it's got this AMAZING spell inside... Want to see for yourself?
Is it better than the last one you gave me?
Well, one of these spells here can decimate a group of enemies in a single blink.

Yeaaah! :h:
Oh no.
GIMME GIMME GIMME
GIMME
DON'T DO IT.
TOO LATE I GOT IT AN-

Is this your idea of a joke? Imma kill you! Imma-

Huh? Well, it goes like this. Then you do this, then...
Oh, okay.
And then you just channel your chi here, right?
Uh-huh.
Reverse the polarity.
Yup.
And thread the needle! See!
Nope.
Oh. Uh, well, you see, after you-
I didn't catch a word of any of that.
Okay, I guess I'll just start from the beginning. First you center your chakras-
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!

We'll, uh, try again later.

Actually, none of the spells Winn learns here (and he's the only one who learns anything from this exchange) are particularly worthwhile. You'd think with a name like "Althena" that it'd be a very potent healing spell. It's actually an insta-kill spell. Like Ha! you don't get experience for it, so why bother? PsyLift you'd probably recognize as Psychotron, the warp spell Mia had in the original Lunar 1. It warps you out of dungeons just like in that game. I've still got Wind Spirits that I've never used, but hey if I need to warp out I got options. Also, Winn also gets Win D. Completely useless.

What can I get you for dinner?
Everything.
Uh, how about tacos?
As long as you never use those cheap taco shells again.
Ellie! Jeez, learn some manners!
Don't worry, I won't. I... I remember last time.

I like you, NPC girl.

Where are you off to today?
What's with the new 'tude? You've always treated us like garbage.
Whatever gave you that idea? You tease me, Lena! :h: You always speak your mind, but that's what makes you... well, you!
...What's gotten into her?
I don't really know what you think you're getting by toadying up to us now.
Come now. Perhaps I was a bit harsh to you in the past, but I always knew you three girls had potential.
Uuuuuuuh....
Oh hello, uh... you.
I'm surprised you don't recognize Winn. Remember, he blew up the town!
Oh. Well. Nice to meet you.
Why does Lena always have to keep bringing that up?!

Does no one in this school know what a scholarship is?

Anyway, enough farting around. Let's go talk to Dadis and get this rolling.

How's your research been treating you?
Wha!! Who are you!? What are you doing in my lab!?
...:sweatdrop:
Oh yeah... He's got that memory thing. Or doesn't have. Whichever.
Ooh, I remember? You three are... Ellie, Lena, and Senia! Right!

This is Winn! He's new, actually! :sweatdrop:
Whuzzat? You sure? I would have swore that was the one that blew up my house.
No no no, Senia blew up your house the first time. Winn blew up your house the second time.
:sweatdrop:
Huh. We've got good architects in this place.
Hm, wait, so then is Richter doing something?
Who?!
Nevermind.

I think... yes! That's right! I'm running out of tan. It's a mineral component used in makeup. The only place I know of to get some is in the cave by the bay.
Wait, the same cave we fought Ant in and rescued Azu from?
I dunno what you're talking about but there's only one cave by the bay.
Are- are you sure? Maybe there's two caves? One we haven't explored two-
THREE.
Three times already.
Yes I am sure there is only one cave.
Are you sure there isn't some tan in a more interesting place?
And besides...
That's practically next door! Why don't you go fetch some yourself?
Well, I hear that some monsters have moved in recently. So naturally, I'm sending some students. That should be exciting enough for you.
I guess we haven't really earned our scholarships yet, huh? Oh well! Leave it to us!
Do we? Do we really have to? I mean, what is our scholarship even? Like, what do we have to do for i-
Let's just go get the drat rock. It's not going to take us any time. Geez.

You poor, poor boy.

What? You'll actually go? Whoa. I've always wanted to have students like you...
Uh, we've like, BEEN your students?
Allegedly.
Shut up.

So, uh, back to the sea-side cave for a third time. Yeah, they, uh, didn't really bother making too many dungeons for this game. I think you can tell this isn't a game with a lot of effort put into it in general.

But hey, at least there's some new-ish going on here.

Ellie! Fancy meeting you here!
Yeah it's something all right.
Sorry about that mess with the Vile Tribe... I'd still like another chance to--
No no no no no no no no no
Sorry, guys.
Thank you.
Lizardmen have been nesting deep in the cave.
Oh, Elenora. Could you move a little to the left?
I don't know why you're asking me that, but okay.

That's why we're all out here. I guess you could say that we're the exterminators...
Wait, someone other than us is gonna take care of a monster problem? Not likely.
People other than you and your two friends do actually do things, you know.

MOTHERFUUUUUUUUUUUU-
I can't help but to feel somewhat responsible for this.

Wh-wh-what should we do, Lena? We c-can't just leave her...!
Uh, duh? We mount a rescue operation! What else would you expect us to do!?
Oh. But-but what about Brown and the others here?
What about them?
Are- aren't they going to help?
What did we tell you earlier, Winn?
...everyone is lazy and useless and we need to solve their problems for them.
You learn fast. Good job.

I know. This is, what, the third time she's been kidnapped?
Fourth, actually. During her freshmen year, she got kidnapped by some moggles.
Wait, the pig-bunny things? How?!
It's a mystery to this day.

Would you three please rescue her in my stead?
At least you're admitting it.
Well, uh, you know, I couldn't keep up with you-
Yeah okay we're gonna go rescue your friend.
Say, Ellie, before you go, I was wondering if you'd like-

...I think she's warming up to me.

Anyway, it's time for that one cave again. And they refilled the treasure chests again. I'm beginning to feel like hunting down all the treasure chests in this game is pretty pointless.

Also, they changed up monsters again. Again, I kind of have difficulty distinguishing them due to the fact that monsters in this game rarely do anything unique.

Oh, I wasn't kidding when I said Winn is super powerful. He could end every single battle here single-handedly with this spell. Although if choose to do this, you'll have to sit and recharge after every 3rd fight or so.

I also wasn't kidding about him being fragile. That's about half his HP in damage. So healing up after every fight is a necessity. Fun.

But anyway, you've seen this cave already. Let's just get to the drat boss fight already.

We finally found you, you dastardly fiend! Let go of Elenora now, or suffer the consequences!
Hhrhhggg <I understand your anger, human. But this cave is the ancestral home of the lizardmen. We->
Lena, it can't understand us. Let's just kill it already.
Hrzzzhagrrrrr <No, wait, let me finish! You see, we've been under attack from both your kind and the Vile Tribe for some time. Please, we are desperate! We can->
Gotta ruin my awesome big drat hero speech, huh? Well, time to get-a killin'.

Gkaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa <Please I have a family!>

Well that was pointless.

Oh look we found the rock Dadis was looking for.
This is... charcoal.
And?
It's... not tan. I mean, "tan" isn't a rock anyway, but I assumed he meant a rock that was tan colored. This is... definitely not tan colored. Why-
Winn, what have we told you?
E- everyone is lazy and useless?
Exactly. So unless Dadis wants to come here himself, which he won't, this will have to do.
...okay.

Really, it's nothing. Just be more careful, alright? Maybe you'll be able to go a whole week without being kidnapped. Just avoid the forest on the way back.
I will... Bitch.

L-Lena... You were amazing! I was kind of useless, though...
Nonsense, Winn. You're a lot stronger than you give yourself credit fo-

Oh. Well.
I'm not carrying him out.

MEANWHILE.

Oh. We're back at school.
Oh no. She saw me pass out. Oh man... She must think I'm such a wimp... There's no way I've got a snowball's chance in the Red Dragon Cave with her now.

O- oh. Well. Heh.
Oh crap. This is worse somehow. How do I respond to that?! What do I do? What would the great romantics of history do?
Wrap her in your arms and tell her she's safe now!
Slap her on the rear end! Bitches love that!
Ditch her and go stand on your head!
DON'T TRUST HER SHE'LL loving KILL YOU!
WHAT DO I DOOOOOOOOOOO?!
Winn?
Aaaaaa
Winn?
AAAAAAAAAA
WINN!

Wow, you look white as a sheet.
Oh geez they're looking at me. Say something Winn, say something!

L-Lena... You, j-just said... Y-y-you... L-l-l... Liked me...
Huh? What?
N-no... Nevermind...
Spit it out, man! I absolutely hate it when people stumble over their words!
Argh... Why didn't I just say silent?!
Well, we got the tan for Professor Dadis. Let's head back.
Sh-she hates it...? No, I can't leave it at this! Think, think!
Um, L-Lena?
What?
Y-y-you're, uh... safe now.
Isn't that my line?
... ... ... ...y-yeah....
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Anyway, back to town.

Professor, we've got the tan you wanted.
Oh my, this stone looks to be quite a rare type, indeed!
Actually, it's really just ch-
Shut up Winn!

But what's "tan?"
Well, strictly speaking, it's the name of a color or a process to preserve animal hide. It's not the name of-
SHUT UP WINN.

It's a rare mineral, found only in the cave by the bay! Professor, you asked us to get this for you!
Oh, that's right, I think! It's just like this black rock I'm using in my experiment!

...He had it the entire time, huh? :sweatdrop:
You must have gone through a lot of trouble to get this for me!
Actually-

Just continuing to earn our scholarships, sir...
See, you're catching on!
How noble! I've always wanted apprentices like you!
...this is such a waste of our time!
OH NO FOOLIN'?
We're not going to fetch any more of this stuff for you, you here!? Urgh, I hope the principal's back by now. Let's see if he's in his office.

"You should be careful. Steele."
Oh, come ON! Where is he!?
Wait, so he came back to write a letter to us, but didn't stick around to actually talk to us? He must have been here recently-
Eh, I guess he must be pretty busy...
Gonna let this go too?
I just don't wanna hear you bitch about it.

Should we head over to the dorm?
Of course. As scholarship students, it's our job to solve all these little problems!

He always gives good advice.
This... this is just a sheet of paper with the words "kill everyone" written in crayon.
So wise.
...at least I hope that's crayon.
Heh heh well look at the time gotta go, bye!

Yup soooo busy gotta go.
Before you go, would you-
Noooooooooope.

They're the ones with the scholarships, right? THEY should be the ones to go beat Zigan!
Yeah!
THEY have the scholarships! Nothing is out of their reach!
Oh what fresh hell is this.

By the way, ladies! Have you heard the magnificent tale of Ant and his friends?
What did he get beat up by this time?
He- Hey! I didn't-
Oh Ellie there you go with your... signature wit!

Oh, quit it with the false feminine charm. Us girls can see right through it! So what the heck is this "Zigan" thing, anyway?
It's a monster that appeared on the lake island east of here! Haven't you heard about it?
That monster roughed Ant up quite dreadfully!
You poor dears...
Heh, well, you know... I'm pretty strong, but Zigan's totally out of my league.
But I bet Ellie and her friends could take it down!
Why, it would be simple for them!
They DO have scholarships, after all!

Well, what are you waiting for?
Yeah! What are you waiting for!
Hold up. Why should we kill this thing? Did it actually do anything bad?
It hurt Ant!
...did it actually do anything bad?
Come now! We can't let such a dangerous monster roam free so close to the school!
...you've seen that cave behind the dojo, right?
I... suppose you have a point. But, um...
Honestly, we just really want you to kill a thing. It's been kinda boring around here lately.
Kill the monster! Cut his throat! Kill the monster! Bash him in!
Kill the monster! Cut his throat! Kill the monster! Bash him in!
Um... yes, let's go with that.

Can't we get a moment's peace around here? Oh well! If we must, we must!
You sound so strong when you say that... Oh, Lena...
C'mon, let's hurry and beat that monster!

Next time: a monster! More Winn dithering about Lena! More bullshit! It's a non-stop rollercoaster ride up in this LP!

Camel Pimp fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Aug 21, 2016

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

Sleep in the briefing room.
At your own peril.
Beautiful reference to your FF2 LP.

So, what, Ant has been reduced to a toady (and his toadies reduced to subtoadies) now? Is that snobby bitch going to be a villain too? Please tell me Ellie and company get to beat all of them up. It would make the rest of this game worth it.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Bufuman posted:

So, what, Ant has been reduced to a toady (and his toadies reduced to subtoadies) now? Is that snobby bitch going to be a villain too? Please tell me Ellie and company get to beat all of them up. It would make the rest of this game worth it.

The last chapter will involve the party taking out the entire faculty (starting with the student council) so they can reign over the school unopposed.

Wayne
Oct 18, 2014

He who fights too long against dragons becomes a dragon himself

Bufuman posted:

Yeah, that whole bit was some of CP's best work. :golfclap: I'm not sure if an Alex head going "..." would've been good or extended the joke a bit too long. Lunar 2 (at least with EBC) actually put in the effort to build some chemistry between Hiro and Lucia, but they didn't bother with that nonsense in Lunar 1!

And of course, as soon as I saw that reference to "MAN's dungeon" (interesting...), had to do this:

Speaking of Ant, I'm glad I didn't have time to post in this thread much earlier, because I totally assumed he would've become one of the love interests after, y'know, he reforms and comes through in the clutch or something like that. Nope, looks like he's comic relief all the way to the end. :allears:

Derek Barona
Dec 8, 2009

WHO'S YOUR FRIEND?!
My urge to give Ellie a hug and tell her that it's okay, the bullshit will eventually end continues to grow. loving filler chapters.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
This game seems terrible, c/d

Camel Pimp
May 17, 2008

It's not very good, no.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

corn in the bible posted:

This game seems terrible, c/d

Were you there for Dragon Song? Comparatively, nothing is terrible.

Speaking of terrible games, though, what happened to your After Years LP?

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
gently caress AFTER YEARS

is what happened to it

GrizzlyCow
May 30, 2011
They're really laying it on thick with Dadis. Like drat, how does he function?

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

So, wrt the title, is Walking School a translation everyone agrees on? Because when I heard it out of context I assumed it was some silly pedometer tie-in or something and after finding this thread I wrote it off as nonsense. I've just realised that it probably refers to the fact that the school is on a moving island, but doesn't it float?

E: Just checked with a friend that knows Japanese and no it's totally, unambiguously, "walking". :psyduck: As opposed to, eg, Howl's Moving Castle, which does use the word "floating".

AlphaKretin fucked around with this message at 11:14 on Nov 8, 2015

Polsy
Mar 23, 2007

I saw it suggested elsewhere that it should probably be 'wandering' - that it should be read as 'walking' as in 'going for a casual stroll', rather than the literal 'going somewhere using your legs'.

SorataYuy
Jul 17, 2014

Or maybe "wandering" as in "this plot wanders all over the place." :rimshot:

Camel Pimp
May 17, 2008

SorataYuy posted:

Or maybe "wandering" as in "this plot wanders all over the place." :rimshot:

That would imply a plot, a bit of a spurious suggestion at best.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
So it seems like the problem here is that the game isn't strong enough on its own to make a dungeon crawl interesting, which puts the plot in position to do all the heavy lifting.

...which is kind of a lot to ask from those bitty little text boxes.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
You know what's fun about discovering an LP late and then binge reading to catch up? It's that you can read the story in one go, giving you a much clearer image of how the story progresses. Seeing all the tiny hints to a greater story all lined up without distractions and time between them...that's not happening here. :psyduck:

It's really strange, it's probably worse to play it, but reading along it doesn't seem that bad. The main problem being that the game has no point. Like really. It's like reading Harry Potter except with Voldemort removed completely from the story. It's remarkable in how little story there is.

Also, CP, your last update killed me. It would've been funny without comments, but your extra comments really drove home how incredibly stupid this is/was.

I don't think I've ever seen a more accurate game case image. I mean look at the expressions of the red head and Ant on there.

Wait a minute, that guy on the left is supposed to be Winn right? Why isn't his hair green?

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.
The case is kind of a weird bit of art. The super-deformed style is too overdone and makes Ellie, Lena, and Senia look like little kids (they're supposed to be 14 or so, right?). And why does Elenora get cover space if she's not going to be a party member? Is she secretly evil or something and the constant kidnapping is just really bad acting?

EDIT: Wait, I think I get it. She's secretly Althena, isn't she? The kidnapping thing should've been a dead giveaway, now that I think about it.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
There's also the fact that Winn's head is gigantic and Ant's is teeny-tiny. Also what is the laughing rich girl doing on the cover? She's not even an important NPC!

Camel Pimp
May 17, 2008

Chapter 15: Lessons About Self-Esteem

All right, we're here at Zigan's forest. We actually haven't been here before, not counting the pointless preliminary exploration. So yay, new dungeon!

Which is what I would say if every single dungeon in this game wasn't boring and samey. Seriously, I'm starting to long for brown caves.

Look, more Unknowns.

Oh, and I got this from some snake thingies. It casts a lightning spell. Neat.

And that's pretty much it for this dungeon. It's only a single screen.

And the boss here starts with zero dialogue.

The fight really isn't too hard. Characters other than Ellie have a hard time doing any damage to Zigan (as shown here) but it only has a regular attack that doesn't do that much damage.

-

It takes a long time, but the fight ends without any difficu-

Wait, what.

Ellie...! Let's get out of here...!

So, uh, if you're confused as to what just happened, don't worry, so am I. I mean, as far as I can tell I did beat that fight; the monster disappeared and I got experience. But... he's not dead (which you'll see later) and Winn passed out and we're in trouble? Lunar-net's walk-through for this part says "Attempt to fight Zigan. Soon enough, [Winn] will get knocked unconscious and Lena will yell for them to escape." Which suggested that this is supposed to be an unwinnable fight. Maybe?

Oh, and Winn is having another weird dream.

And for whatever reason there's no character portraits here. I'm gonna add them anyway, but just so you know.

... Does this have something to do with that power the Vile Tribe said was buried within me? ...No, it can't be....
...there's only one way to be sure. Uh... Lena... honey?
Yes, sweetie?
....how's it... uh, swinging. ... ...sugar butt?
Oh, you silly billy!
Yeap. Definitely dreaming.
Now, come on you guys. Dinner's getting cold!
... ... ...you know what, I'm here, I might as well enjoy this. So yes, dear, I'd love to have some-

That's... Lena's voice... I've got to...

You were muttering in your sleep or something! You even stutter in your sleep. How do you DO that?! It's kind of weird, you know? Well, we should get back to the principal's office for now.
H-huh? It was just a dream...
Huh? What was just a dream?
Oh, uh...
What's the matter?
It, uh, it was just a dream about... pie.
Oh you have those too?
...yes.
Well, I think they bought it. Man, I've got to better about talking to myself.
I'll say.
... ... ... ...uh-
Anyway, let's just hope Steele's finally in his office.

"You'll be able to beat him eventually."
Come ON! Again?! Seriously, this just happened! So he just dashed off a quick note and ran off?! Why?! What is his problem?!
Wow... you're really, really mad.
Yes. Yes I am. Because this is stupid. Why is he doing this.
:sigh: Yeah, it's dumb. Super dumb. But you know what, complaining about it isn't going to do anything. So let's just read the stupid letter.
...fine.

"Please come to Professor Glen's house. Steele."
I'd rather stay with you, Lena... But I'll go.

.....um. You know, after Barua, this is might be in bad taste-
I'm going to stop you there.
... ... ...probably for the best. Still...
Just Winn, huh? Something smells fishy...
You seem kind of interested in him!
What? No! Geez, I'm not allowed to be concerned about a friend?
We just met him a few days ago. Also, you're you.
You're a bitch.
And so are you. Come on, are you going to tell me that you've not noticed that he follows you around like a lost puppy? You must like him a little bit if you haven't told him to buzz off yet.

Well, okay, maybe a little.
But he needs more self-confidence, you know?
I mean, whatever happened to that swagger he had when we first met him.
He was being possessed. And also destroying stuff.
Yeah, that was cool, wasn't it?
...yeah okay I'm just going to drop this topic.

MEANWHILE

Will I ever get another glimpse at that...? Hopefully without having to pass out in front of her first.

Future-gazing is off limits!

That's right. Do as your teacher says, Winn!
What!? How do you know about the future? Wait, wait, I was seeing into the future, then? Wait, how do you know that? How do you know it was-

So, uh, this is new. This was NOT in any previous Lunar game, or even remotely hinted at. So, uh, the Lunar universe has Time Lords now, I guess. Okay I don't really know what Time Lords are, I've seen like two episodes of Doctor Who and I wasn't really paying attention to them, but this is my LP and I'll call 'em Time Lords if I wanna.

I am unbelievably confused.
We seek out and destroy that which might disrupt the flow of time.
Spoken like a pro! Well done, lad!
I've been doing this for some time now, you know...
...I'm still confused.

...my name is Winn.
Oh- oh! Terribly sorry. I had a former student named Wing. Got a bit confused.
Wasn't Wing the boy that exploded?
Ah yes... tragic.
Wait what.
But we're getting off-topic.
You too have the ability to become a Guardian of Time! Please, Winn, use your powers to...

Ack!! How did you...
Sir, this is highly inappropriate-
Don't care! Dang it, I don't get out much, I need me some gossip! Spill it kid!
Uh, well, Lena is... she's a girl I know... she's a- she's... someone I-
You haven't gotten anywhere with her have you?
No.

You know, right now? You don't stand a chance with her.
But... I saw the future...!
The future we see is far from certainty! We have to work to make it happen.

I just don't get it! What should I do, Professor!?
I thought you'd never ask! It isn't THE future, it is A future. Become a Guardian Time, and with some tutelage, all will be made clear.
Did you just say "Guardian time?"
Don't interrupt me, boy.
For now, you lack confidence in yourself. Lena will not stand by someone so weak.
Okay...
If you become a Guardian of Time, you'll gain confidence, my lad!

Hee hee hee! Be a Guardian, and you'll be swimming in bitches!
Sir, NOT APPROPRI-
Come on, he's getting to that age where there's only one thing on boy's mind...
W- with all due respect, I don't really wanna be "swimming in..." uh, women. I just want Lena to like me.
...you're really sheltered, aren't you, boy?
Can we please get back on topic?
Just remember boy. Swimming in bitches!

Now, first to seal away your visions of the future...
O-okay...

One all-purpose screen flash later...

There. That should do it.
That was quick! Alright, next! Go beat up the master of the MAN'S Dungeon.
What!? Th-there's no way I'd ever--
This is your chance to show Lena how manly you really are!
I-If you say so...

Sir, I cannot condone this!
What? I just offered him a tip or two.
It might get him killed! I don't need to have another pair of parents clamoring for my head.
See, this is why I don't work with the public.

This part of the script really wasn't proof-read very well.

He'd dig through a mountain if he thought it'd help.
I must still question your motives!
Oh, don't be such a fuddy-duddy. It doesn't suit you.
Ugh. :sweatdrop: If you say so...

MEANWHILE (again)

Wow, Winn's been gone for some time.
I know. I can't believe it's been days.
It... it hasn't been days.
Hours?
Maybe?
Did we just wait here this whole time?
I don't think so. That letter on Steele's desk looks new.
Oh crap it does.

"Enter the MAN'S Dungeon and take care of it. So long as Winn is with you, you should be okay. Steele."
The MAN's Dungeon, huh? Say, where is Winn, anyway? Slacking off, I bet!
Seems kinda harsh. It's only been 30 minutes.
Has it?
I do- I don't know! I DON'T KNOW ANYTHING ANYMORE

SPACE IS WARPED AND TIME IS BROKEN-
I mean hi Winn.
Uh... hi.

We've got to go to the MAN'S Dungeon!
Why do you guys keep yelling?
Mr Iason insisted that the word "man" in MAN'S dungeon must be "pronounced and spelled with all caps" at all times. He lectured me for about an hour about it.
Uh, more important question...

Hey, how did you know about that?
Actually that is a good qu-
Guess it doesn't matter! C'mon, let's go see Professor Iason.
Why did you bring it up then?!

Oh come on. Didn't you already get beaten up for this chapter?
What?!
Uh... nothing.
We're not here for you, anyway.

You're here... to pick on Winn?
Yup!
...don't you guys have hobbies or something?

YOU'RE going to attempt the MAN'S Dungeon? That's a laugh! Why not just go play house instead? You can be the mama!!
No... I'm... I'm...
Dammit, Winn! Stand up for yourself, already!
You can blow up towns, boy! Make them regret the day they decided to mock you!
I- I don't want to hurt anyone!
...I miss Senia. Look, if you're not going to ice these fools...

You could tell these wusses off if you really wanted to!
Wusses!? Screw this! You'll soon see just how girly you really are!

"Wusses" is what set him off?
Skin of tissue paper, seriously.

Anywho. The MAN'S dungeon. Except we can actually explore it this time.

Although "explore" is a bit strong of a word to use. There's four descending ladders on the first floor, but they all go to the same place. This cave looks like there's a ton of branching paths, but everything leads to the same place. No treasure or anything.

I only got into two battles the entire time. The other battle consisted solely of those goblin-ish enemies (called Bigfoot. I don't know either).

And apparently the monster we're looking for is... just a dude?

Scratch that. It's a furry. I guess.

Like the last boss, all this thing can really do is hit one character kinda hard. At this point Winn's gained enough levels that this isn't worth worrying about.

Turns out becoming a MAN isn't that hard at all. Who knew?

It's not like we didn't help!
But, er...
No, no, I'm sorry, Ellie beat Gear. She was doing the brunt of the work. YOU helped US beat Gear.
I'm not... I'm not...
Trying to take all the credit? Sounds like you were, chief.
You don't understand!
Since I beat Gear, that means I'm strong... And...
What?
That's why I did this! Because of you Lena, I...
What ABOUT me!? I hate it when guys just can't get to the point!
Urgh...

And from there we-

Jump to Ellie, Lena, Stella, and Emma gossiping about boys. This chapter jumps around a lot, if you've noticed.

Think it's true?
Does a moggle shi-
Ellie!

You don't say! Winn's nice and kind of cute, and he does know some very strong magic. I wholeheartedly approve! I mean, I was worried she'd get with Ant.
Oh don't even joke about that.

Lena hasn't caught on yet though, has she?
Ugh! Why is everyone talking about Winn? Also, I'm right here! Come on. What's so special about him...?
I mean, I'd be lying if I said I didn't like him, but... He's just so insecure!

So, uh, why are we talking about Winn again?
I 'unno.
Oh. And how are your classes doing, ladies?
So, uh, about Winn...

Oh, uh, hi Winn. So what brings you-
I overheard Lena and a couple others talking about me but she was annoyed but then she said she liked me but then she said I lacked confidence but on the other hand-
Ho ho! Breathe, boy, breathe. So, she's admitted she likes you?
But she said I didn't have any confidence!
...but she's already said she liked you?
But she's so mad that I'm not very manly!
You did beat Gear, right?
I did, but Lena got mad when I said I did.
Why?
She said Ellie deserved more credit than me. I- she was kind of right? She did more damage.
...you were... supposed to do that on your own.
Wh- wha? I couldn't have done it on my own!
But doing it on your own was what was supposed to be so MANly about it.
...oh.

Finally! I thought you'd never reach this point! I'll summon some monsters, and you'll fight them and train! How 'bout it? They're pretty tough, but if you beat them, I think you'll be more confident!
I'll give it a try!

And remember, you have to do it on you own for it to- oh, I don't think he heard me. Oh well, he's a smart kid. He'll get it.

And once again we abruptly jump to

Huh? That sounded like Winn!!
Let's go check it out!

Wait, he didn't say he'd bring them HERE-

L-Lena... You came to help, huh?
And just what are you doing?

Wait, were did the other imp go?
Think it ran off crying.

Yer drat right it did.

S-sorry.
But you know, I feel a lot stronger than I used to!
I've got it! Time to redeem our pride!
Huh?
Let's go smash Zigan!
Why do you think we can do it now when we couldn't do it earlier?!
We did do it earlier!
I know we did!
But then Winn passed out and Zigan ran away. I believe you were there.
But he passed out AFTER we beat the monster. This doesn't make any-
...Lena, do you ever feel like our lives are just going in circles?
Do you know what'll make all of us feel better?
Is it beating Zigan?
It's beating Zigan.

Come on, Winn!

Heeeey kids, you know how that short, pointless dungeon with that piss-easy boss fight added so much to this game? Let's just do it again. No real change. Just... a completely transparent recycle.

...maybe Iason will cheer us up, now that we've passed his test of manliness.

Gear should be calm for a little while, at least. Way to earn your scholarships! I hereby confer upon each of you the title of "True MAN!"
Hey, I'm a LADY! I'm quite demure!
I dunno, we do have this "Manliness" here, which means we have to be true men.
It's pronounced "MEN!"
...sorry.
Well maybe you can just keep that... trophy or whatever that is to yourself, because I'm a goddamn delicate flower of a lady!

Good times.

All right, let's get this over with.

Even for the rematch, there's no dialogue preceding the fight.

Seriously, why make us do this twice?

There! Now those losers won't be able to badmouth you any more.
Ahh! That was refreshing!
Lena, you're strong!
What are you mumbling about? Let's go!
Oh, please wait! I'm getting stronger...! Lena... Hey Lena!!
That seals it. My life is stuck in a loop.

Well, my boy, did it work?
I tried so hard, but Lena didn't notice me at all!
Even those you managed to defeat two imps single-handedly? She's a hard lady to impress!
I, uh, didn't beat those imps by myself.
Also, one of them ran away, so-

Whew... Quite the spot of bother, this! Let's see, what else can we dream up, hmm?
Sir, is it odd that sometimes it feels like... like everything is repeating itself?
Don't worry about it, lad. Time is an illusion after all. Now, let's concentrate on how to impress girls.

Oh, well thank gently caress that's over with.

Camel Pimp fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Aug 21, 2016

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.
Cripes, the plot leaps around more than 2-year old hopped up on sugar and possessing frog DNA. Also I guess it's OFFICIALLY a dating simulator game now?

Derek Barona
Dec 8, 2009

WHO'S YOUR FRIEND?!
Alright, that's it. Pack your poo poo Ellie, you're coming on the Destiny and getting in on a good Lunar game that has at least an idea what the gently caress it's doing. No, I don't care if it's 1300 years away from now, we just sat through a bunch of pointless time dialogue bullshit, we can find a way to get there.

SorataYuy
Jul 17, 2014

Maybe if she's really lucky, Crowetron can find a way to squeeze her in there. Y'know, when he goes back to updating again - twenty years from now. >.>

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
Man, that's certainly a romantic story that's being written. I mean there's a boy and a girl inhabiting the same world, what more would you want?

SorataYuy posted:

Maybe if she's really lucky, Crowetron can find a way to squeeze her in there. Y'know, when he goes back to updating again - twenty years from now. >.>

Is it time for our annual Crowetron chant yet?

Camel Pimp
May 17, 2008

Darth TNT posted:

Man, that's certainly a romantic story that's being written. I mean there's a boy and a girl inhabiting the same world, what more would you want?

To be fair, unlike Dragon Song, this is being portrayed as not much more than a boy who had a crush on his classmate. It's not being portrayed as some grand love story. It's still kinda insufferable, but at least they're not trying to make is think that this it's the greatest romance of all time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Derek Barona
Dec 8, 2009

WHO'S YOUR FRIEND?!
Honestly, Winn having a crush on Lena wouldn't be so bad if it wasn't literally the entire focus of an obviously filler chapter. They don't even actually progress with it in a sensible manner, it's just Winn having dreams about a girl he's crushing on that are apparently breaking the loving timeline somehow, so the mysterious old man has to throw some vague coked up bullshit into the mix to set him straight, but really just manages to leave everyone involved, even within the story, just going "Wait, what the gently caress?"

• Locked thread