Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FireWhizzle
Apr 2, 2009

a neckbeard elemental
Grimey Drawer
Albion is great because it also doesn't exist yet (still in perma "beta" limbo) and the drama is real. Goonfear and goonhate are running rampant. If you have some shitposts you need to squeeze off feel free to head over to the AO official forums to get a break from the SC fiasco

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

FireWhizzle posted:

Albion is great because it also doesn't exist yet (still in perma "beta" limbo) and the drama is real. Goonfear and goonhate are running rampant. If you have some shitposts you need to squeeze off feel free to head over to the AO official forums to get a break from the SC fiasco

if theres no goonfucking I'm not interested, sorry

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

spacetoaster posted:

Laser etched metal business cards. You can get a little over a thousand for $1.70.

Throw some star citizen art and you could probably make a better VIP card for yourself.

http://metalcards.com/pricing.html

Fake edit* And how pissed would the special snowflakes be if they say peons like us having better looking cards than them? lol

We should do an SA "I spent my money not backing Star Citizen" steel card with some cool star ships on them. I'd back it.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

AP posted:

Karl seems pissed again.

Karl on Twitter posted:

@dsmart @rucereal2k @IceGryphonX @Grummz @MageRheon @lizzyf620 @TeamMetroWingar the only mole you have are the voices in you head.
:ironicat:

Amarcarts
Feb 21, 2007

This looks a lot like suffering.

A Neurotic Jew posted:

CIG claims it will be used as a pass for Star Citizen "events".

I'm thinking of an Eyes Wide Shut orgy hosted by Chris and Sandi in a secluded mansion deep in the Hollywood hills. Despite the robes and plague doctor mask, everyone knows which is Lesnick.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

D_Smart posted:

^this. All of it. But hey, when I say it, those Redditards create a sub-Red dedicated solely to pointless attacks. But I already gave them another ultimatum before I burn down their JPEGs.

https://twitter.com/dsmart/status/663796407816617984

What is the ultimatum? I just see another shotgun Twitter explosion over the course of like 10 subsequent posts.

Dapper Dan
Dec 16, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

D_Smart posted:

^this. All of it. But hey, when I say it, those Redditards create a sub-Red dedicated solely to pointless attacks. But I already gave them another ultimatum before I burn down their JPEGs.

https://twitter.com/dsmart/status/663796407816617984

That's pretty crazy. I mean, can no one step back and think critically about this? Is nostalgia just that strong? I don't get it, I seriously don't. The question: 'Why is it ok when CRoberts does it and no other studio does?' will probably almost always be 'oh, he made great games in the past'. 1) Its been over a decade since he produced anything, the business has changed so much it is nearly unrecognizable 2) Past success doesn't free you from present consequence. George Lucas made the prequels. Again, why? There simply is no answer but blind faith and trust. Its garbage.

I guess you really can't pull people out of this massive fantasy they have built for themselves.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

A Neurotic Jew posted:

It's especially funny because Chris Roberts is also friends with Vox and together they batted around the idea of him having a role in developing Star Citizen.

Yeah, that's why I wasn't entirely against Smart actually talking to him about Star Citizen. As odious as Vox Day is, I knew he had that connection with Roberts that it would be willing to put up with that poo poo to get more goods on him.

The hilarious thing is that Karl would have never heard of Vox Day a.k.a. Theodore Beale unless it was from this thread. That whole "Nazi, racist, and woman hater", while true, was entirely picked up from complaints coming from this thread.

Young Freud fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Nov 10, 2015

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy

grimcreaper posted:

We should do an SA "I spent my money not backing Star Citizen" steel card with some cool star ships on them. I'd back it.

"Bitter Tears Platinum Card"

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx
why is karl so angry

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

grimcreaper posted:

I'd pitch in- though I think maybe it'd be better to have a joke to that effect in Latin. So it's not too on the nose.

It would prompt bitter tears from the Concierge Black Card holders if ours were actually well designed, black metal and customized while their's are not black, mass produced and goofy rear end.

Having a superior execution without requiring $1000 spaceship purchase to qualify definitely would definitely make the point. Then we could drink "Bitter Tears" beer, while their only option would be licking tears off each other's faces...

I can't brew beer but i can take a stab at a design. Got a vector of the SA grenade already.

Btw- it's only $0.50 for name customization per card... It would be the little touch that hurts so much...

G0RF fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Nov 10, 2015

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
Good for nothing but smug

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

A Neurotic Jew posted:

why is karl so angry
Between Reddit and Twitter, I'm beginning to get the impression Karl is far more interested in Derek than Star Citizen itself.

Rodney-CK
Jun 19, 2004

Warcabbit posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oLB28JvEQAg

Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee.

Why, yes, I've been monkeying with that for my superhero game.

Just want to say: really great job! That's impressive!

Raticus79
Oct 21, 2015

no_recall posted:

"Bitter Tears Platinum Card"

You can get the tears as a cutout pattern around the border of the card.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer
The other thing is if people start trying to use the whole "Derek Smart is friends with a nazi" line of attack outside of their echo chambers they are also going to look even more like lunatics. It just looks like Godwin in action.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

grimcreaper posted:

Or make a 1:1 copy of the CIG card, and then sell that one on the grey market

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Apparently Jared is working on the fabled Cutlass update. The one Ben said they would do back in July.

Amarcarts
Feb 21, 2007

This looks a lot like suffering.
Derek doing the interview most likely helped his message reach some actual Queef Citizen backers that may not have otherwise taken the time to listen. They aren't all VD fans but the demographic ranges overlap (white male sci-fi fans).

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.
If we do our own metal cards, they should say "this didn't cost me $1,000".

Gamesguy
Sep 7, 2010

Loiosh posted:

I can answer this from my perspective, but I'm not a game developer. The issue with starting over or moving to a new engine is one of capability. The requirements for SC's goals are not available. From the sidelines we look in and see vehicles in (Halo or Unreal) for example and go, Look at that, it's right there! If you dig into it though you begin to realize limitations and how well hidden they are. It's why you (In Halo 5 as an example) still see the same jump height/floatiness while supposedly jumping 'down' the side of a large ship. The engine only supports a single zone (which includes a universal gravity vector). Unreal 4 is the same. (Tech note: 'zones' in Unreal Engine are self-contained area. They're not nestible). Even in engines with zoning, like Uncharted 3) they tend to be heavily restricted. Uncharted 3 has nested zones, but they're clamped on the X/Z axis. It's used for the sinking ship level where 3 different zones are nested to do the physics simulation, the only zone rotation is on the Y axis (bank) as the ship rolls.

Unreal 4 does have excellent multiplayer code, but it is not optimized for zoning which would require the engine to functionally be re-written to support it because the entire engine thread makes assumptions like each level having a universal gravity. I have not worked with it, but I believe it does allow you to specify different gravity vectors, but they're static and baked into the level. (This allows you to do something silly like make a level inside of a sphere, but the limitation is that the sphere cannot rotate).

You can see how that would be a problem for an engine that wants to have ships with internal gravity sources moving and allow the player to do EVA outside of a mobile ship. It's actually a hard problem to solve, and besides Derek's assertions that BattleCruiser 3000AD and LoD support nested moveable zones, I'm not aware of another engine that does (please feel free to correct me).

I'm curious, how did this 8 year old source mod manage it?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vA4CwmaiG7c

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

skaboomizzy posted:

If we do our own metal cards, they should say "this didn't cost me $1,000".
I just realized the obvious-- unlike the non-black Concierge Black card, every Goon card could say what the user wanted it to say. So jokes could be tailored to taste...

So maybe we get to a universal template-- and have room for a name (or forum name) and a punchline / slogan on each.

walruscat
Apr 27, 2013

Mirificus posted:

Between Reddit and Twitter, I'm beginning to get the impression Karl is far more interested in Derek than Star Citizen itself.

Sadly Derek seems to create more entertaining Star Citizen content than Croberts does.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

G0RF posted:

I don't know if that's been disclosed or not. With 700000+ backers, it could easily be 10000+ that are VIPs.

Here's some figures, though, if you've wondered what the general demographic breakouts look like.

Hahaha, Star Shitizens are poors.

But why also middle eastern?

Major Asshole
May 3, 2004
I knew it... im surrounded by assholes!

grimcreaper posted:

It needs to be a jpg of a card. Then Id back it.

Octopode
Sep 2, 2009

No. I work here. I manage operations for this and integration for this, while making sure that their stuff keeps working in here.

Gamesguy posted:

There's not much of anything special going on in that mod, and certainly nothing like the implementation in Star Citizen. The larger ships with people inside them appear to be simple fixed geometry, and the ship->player transitions are just model substitution with gravity disabled when in the fighters. The map is a contiguous physics space, and fairly small. I'm honestly not even sure what you think it's demonstrating that is especially out of the ordinary for its time.

Amun Khonsu
Sep 15, 2012

wtf did he just say?
Grimey Drawer

FrankieGoes posted:

middle eastern is not a proper ethnic classification.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Octopode posted:

There's not much of anything special going on in that mod, and certainly nothing like the implementation in Star Citizen.

Based on all your hands-on experience inside the game of Star Citizen right?

walruscat
Apr 27, 2013

FrankieGoes posted:

Maybe expat workers in the middle east are really into spaceship jpgs.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
Welcome back Octopode.

Do you have anything funny to say about the fourth mocap studio and how 2.0 is so finished that there is nothing to show for it? Tell us of the innovative QA process at CIG that results in not a single in progress jpeg or video clip.

Will you be getting a concierge card?

Namaste.

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice

Gamesguy posted:

By cheating. Once you leave the actual on-foot map, you're basically shrunk by a scale of like 16 and shoved into essentially a separate skybox. It was fun to play and a neat bit of trickery to get around the source engine's limitations, but TBF it's not really what Star Citizen is trying to achieve.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

3 posted:

By cheating. Once you leave the actual on-foot map, you're basically shrunk by a scale of like 16 and shoved into essentially a separate skybox. It was fun to play and a neat bit of trickery to get around the source engine's limitations, but TBF it's not really what Star Citizen is trying to achieve.

inb4 its revealed this is exactly what CIG is doing

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice

Sappo569 posted:

inb4 its revealed this is exactly what CIG is doing

The reason you know they're not is because that would be the intelligent and efficient way to do it, while losing very little in actual fidelity.

Kakarot
Jul 20, 2013

by zen death robot
Buglord

Sappo569 posted:

Or make a 1:1 copy of the CIG card, and then sell that one on the grey market

Do that!

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx

Octopode posted:

There's not much of anything special going on in that mod, and certainly nothing like the implementation in Star Citizen. The larger ships with people inside them appear to be simple fixed geometry, and the ship->player transitions are just model substitution with gravity disabled when in the fighters. The map is a contiguous physics space, and fairly small. I'm honestly not even sure what you think it's demonstrating that is especially out of the ordinary for its time.

I think he may have genuinely wanted to know how they did it.

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

3 posted:

Thats actually a really cool trick thanks for sharing :)

Octopode
Sep 2, 2009

No. I work here. I manage operations for this and integration for this, while making sure that their stuff keeps working in here.

3 posted:

The reason you know they're not is because that would be the intelligent and efficient way to do it, while losing very little in actual fidelity.

Shrinking things doesn't actually fix the problem with spatial imprecision that necessitates 64-bit values for object positioning; there's still the same number of discrete values representable with a 32-bit float, no matter what you call the measurement between them. It will allow you to work around some other limitations built into some engines, but those weren't the issues that CIG had issues with.

White Phosphorus
Sep 12, 2000

FrankieGoes posted:

ISIS laundering money.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Octopode posted:

Shrinking things doesn't actually fix the problem with spatial imprecision that necessitates 64-bit values for object positioning; there's still the same number of discrete values representable with a 32-bit float, no matter what you call the measurement between them. It will allow you to work around some other limitations built into some engines, but those weren't the issues that CIG had issues with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Re: Concierge Black Cards

quote:

[–] pittsburghjoe 2 points 6 hours ago
Do you think I could flash this in front of a cop to get out of ticket? Like, some kind of fight club card?
No. But you might get a free trip to a rubber room.

---

It's honestly amazing to read all the enthusiasm in that thread.

If I had spent $1000+ on spacepixels I'd bloody well be demanding the stupid thing free. Hell, they haven't even shipped all their backer rewards as it is-- and now, the very group they should be treating like Kings and Princes they are instead fleecing all the further with a transparently cheapass not-black "Black" status card that denies their unique identity, demands their fealty until death, nut-punches their very dignity, and is certain to impress no one other than other fellow nut-punched not-black "Black" card holder chumps who are PROUD they spent $1000+ on space pixels.

---

quote:

[–] SC_Druggie 10 points 7 hours ago

I bought 7...
1 for me
1 for my SO
1 for me
1 for me
1 for me
1 for me
1 for me
ಠ_ರೃ