Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Capitalism
Jul 28, 2009

That sample chapter was awesome and I can't wait for this book. Unfortunately it's still sitting at around 21% on his tracker, and he's proofing a bunch of other books. Still, I know when he does put his mind to this it'll get done quickly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
We get Bands of Mourning already at the beginning of next year, we're pretty spoiled. But I wouldn't mind more Stormlight Archive, it's my favorite Sanderson series.

I'm just lucky that I don't like ASOIAF, after waiting ages for a Wheel of Time conclusion I don't think that I could take GRRM's writing speed. Especially considering Robert Jordan's fate.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice
Bands of Mourning, Calamity, and let's be honest he'll probably have another couple novella-sized things and likely another Legion book? out before Stormlight 3.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
Stormlight book #3 will probably still come out before Winds of Winter... not that ASOIAF's wait matters as much now since thanks to HBO we have confirmation about certain ADWD cliffhangers and rumors.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Evil Fluffy posted:

Stormlight book #3 will probably still come out before Winds of Winter... not that ASOIAF's wait matters as much now since thanks to HBO we have confirmation about certain ADWD cliffhangers and rumors.

I though GRMM said that when the show catches up to the books, HBO is on their own and the books will probably be very different. Whatever was said probably didn't stick, so I may be wrong. I'm not really a fan of the books.

Jorenko
Jun 6, 2004

I think you're just mad 'cause you're single.

flosofl posted:

I though GRMM said that when the show catches up to the books, HBO is on their own and the books will probably be very different. Whatever was said probably didn't stick, so I may be wrong. I'm not really a fan of the books.

The HBO peeps know his plan for the ending, and will likely use most of it, but many details will differ, if only due to things that already diverged in the show.

OneTwentySix
Nov 5, 2007

fun
FUN
FUN

quote:

I did some exploratory scenes for it this summer, though these may or may not end up in the actual book. I have been tweaking the outline, and am starting to feel very good about it. Writing the book should consume the entire rest of 2015, with a 2016 release. I do plan the Stormlight books to be an every-other-year thing.

So yeah, another Stormlight in 2016, plus Bands of Mourning, Calamity, another Alcatraz, and maybe one or two smaller or YA works like Legion or The Rithmatist.

Luminaflare
Sep 23, 2010

No one man
should have all that
POWER BEYOND MEASURE

OneTwentySix posted:

So yeah, another Stormlight in 2016, plus Bands of Mourning, Calamity, another Alcatraz, and maybe one or two smaller or YA works like Legion or The Rithmatist.

Actually I was at a signing last Tuesday and asked him about Rithmatist. He said that he'd be working on it after Stormlight 3.

He also heavily implied that different coloured chalk has different properties.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
A Stormlight book every two years would be nice. Though if he writes 9 books total that still means we won't see a conclusion until 2028. :v:

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Evil Fluffy posted:

A Stormlight book every two years would be nice. Though if he writes 9 books total that still means we won't see a conclusion until 2028. :v:

I thought there's supposed to be 10 Stormlight Archive books in total?

In any case, it will be a long wait, but we have Mistborn books, the Warbreaker sequel and likely some other Cosmere novels to look forward in the off years, not to mention that we will get 7/8 1000+ pages books out of the deal.

Pong Daddy
Oct 12, 2012
Isn't he planning on doing the second Mistborn trilogy in between Stormlight 5 and 6? So it'll be even longer than that.

Captain Capitalism
Jul 28, 2009

Either way, that's still something like 30,000 books at his current schedule. I still can't believe he was writing Shadows of Self and found it easier to just write two books at once.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Torrannor posted:

I thought there's supposed to be 10 Stormlight Archive books in total?

In any case, it will be a long wait, but we have Mistborn books, the Warbreaker sequel and likely some other Cosmere novels to look forward in the off years, not to mention that we will get 7/8 1000+ pages books out of the deal.

I'm gonna be legit mad if the Warbreaker sequel doesn't cover how Nightblood ended up where it did. I *really* want to see what its new owner/partner does with it.. :commissar:

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Luminaflare posted:

Actually I was at a signing last Tuesday and asked him about Rithmatist. He said that he'd be working on it after Stormlight 3.

That's neat, not a lot of people ask stuff about the rithmatist. Did he give any other book hints?

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

OneTwentySix posted:

Legion needs to be a TV show, like NOW

Luminaflare
Sep 23, 2010

No one man
should have all that
POWER BEYOND MEASURE

Tunicate posted:

That's neat, not a lot of people ask stuff about the rithmatist. Did he give any other book hints?

Not to me and I unfortunately didn't have time to hang around, had to get to class.

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

Finally finished Shadows of Self so I can pop back into this thread and caught up with the CIA documents. I like AoL better, but that might be because it was such a refreshing change of pace from the original Mistborn trilogy. Man there are so many things I haven't caught from the books and would never know where it not for this thread, the wiki and answers from Sanderson at book signings.

Is SoS one of the books with the more overt inter-book/world connections or is it just because I have been on the lookout for them now? Has Sanderson talked about how he's gonna play out his world crossovers? I expect that since his WoR series to be the largest, that's where his Cosmere endgame is gonna play out, but he sure does have a lot of Mistborn books planned.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

I don't think anything comes close to the Stormlight books in regards to inter-connectivity. Part of that probably has to do with Hoid and whatever his power-collecting end game is. Instead of being a name drop or once-off appearance like in other books he's at least a secondary character in Stormlight. Also no matter how powerful* he may be we know he's still nothing compared to a Shard and their godly power.

the later Mistborn books are going to be interesting, especially the futuristic one since once that world's science gets advanced enough in metallurgy the amount of various alloys and such that will be created could mean even more mistings of varying powers. I wouldn't be surprised if the far future series has its FTL happen via combined use of the acceleration and deceleration time bubble abilities considering that'd mesh with some current FTL theories.

* Just off the top of my head we know that he has (spoilers for various books, mainly Mistborn?)enough Breath for Perfect Pitch, "pure" Mistborn power like the Lord Ruler/Elendel, and he is either immune to shardblades(he might not be human/mortal) or his other abilities make shard bearers (and radiants) a low/non threat. He likely has knowledge of Hemalurgy as well which means he could use that to pick up other powers from people, including the Surges.

Evil Fluffy fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Oct 27, 2015

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe

Luminaflare posted:

I think Rithmatist 2 is still listed as 2016 so we should see how that story continues next year.

Tofu Injection
Feb 10, 2006

No need to panic.
That's good news; I'm actually just getting to the end of Rithmatist now, and while I'm liking it a lot it feels like one big set up for a more interesting story.

Also Rithmatics would work great as a tablet game.

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010
So is anyone else pumped as hell about this post I found on reddit:

Brandon Sanderson posted:

It will have four trilogies now. (Though part of me thinks I might need another interim cyberpunkish one between 1980's and full Space Opera.) Right now, though, I have four eras planned.

As for your original question, Harmony is excited, but also worried, perhaps in equal measure.

Bring on the Cybermistborn.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

senae posted:

Oh hell yes. :flashfap:

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

That's actually a theory I have now. With the autonomy shard if Harmony acquires it he may feel the ability to take more direct action rather than being in harmony

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

senae posted:

Mistborn: Shadowrun Edition is a thing I could definitely get behind.

Lobsterpillar
Feb 4, 2014

Hughlander posted:

That's actually a theory I have now. With the autonomy shard if Harmony acquires it he may feel the ability to take more direct action rather than being in harmony

Autonomy is actually Tindwyl brought back from the dead

HidaO-Win
Jun 5, 2013

"And I did it, because I was a man who had exhausted reason and thus turned to magicks"
So with regards to the ending of Shadows of the Self
I'm not convinced Bleeder/Lessie is dead. When Wax shoots her with the earing, Harmony could potentially assume direct control, he doesn't appear to, but he might have and then had her feign death. We've never seen a Kandra die on screen before so we don't know if they are forced to shift back or not when they do, but she notably doesn't. Also if he didn't take control we have the huge smoking gun of Wayne's stolen metalminds, if she had them within her she could have caused her body to enter fatal shock, Harmony to have withdrawn as she died and then accessed the metalminds once they thought she was dead, having two spikes in her could be avoided by her creating cysts inside her body with the metal minds suspended inside without touching her

Lobsterpillar
Feb 4, 2014

HidaO-Win posted:

So with regards to the ending of Shadows of the Self
I'm not convinced Bleeder/Lessie is dead. When Wax shoots her with the earing, Harmony could potentially assume direct control, he doesn't appear to, but he might have and then had her feign death. We've never seen a Kandra die on screen before so we don't know if they are forced to shift back or not when they do, but she notably doesn't. Also if he didn't take control we have the huge smoking gun of Wayne's stolen metalminds, if she had them within her she could have caused her body to enter fatal shock, Harmony to have withdrawn as she died and then accessed the metalminds once they thought she was dead, having two spikes in her could be avoided by her creating cysts inside her body with the metal minds suspended inside without touching her

That would only work if the spike Wax shot into her was a feruchemical gold spike, which would mean it would have to be made of Atium or Gold. It is possible that Harmony - or somebody else - slipped such a spike into the bullet in the place of Wax's earring, which I'm fairly sure wasn't either of those two metals. The other spike inside bleeder at the end was the allomantic steel spike made from the unknown god metal.
And wouldn't the spike need to have been used to kill Wayne in order to use his stolen metalminds? (A feruchemist can't use another feruchemists metalminds, unless hemalurgy just makes you a general feruchemist that breaks that limitation)

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I saw the twist coming pretty early on. Probably had something to do with the Lessie story being related in the intro. Even with the darker ending it's nowhere near as depressing as it got in the first trilogy.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Just finished Legion 2

It was ok, kind of like a wacky episode of Numbers or American Sherlock. The part where he defeated an hit girl with a hostile takeover made it worth it though.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
I actually read the two Infinity Blade novellas out of boredom, that could have been a nice setting for proper books. Makes me wonder if the game is actually decent.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
FYI Anderson bookstore in napperville IL is having Robert Jordan's wife doing book signings November 12th. I assume some of you guys are crossover fans like me.

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

bowmore posted:

Just finished Legion 2

It was ok, kind of like a wacky episode of Numbers or American Sherlock. The part where he defeated an hit girl with a hostile takeover made it worth it though.

I still think that Legion would make a brilliant tv show. I need to sit down one of these days and bang out a spec script for a pilot.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice
I'd wanted to wait until Bands of Mourning came out but I had some copious spare time this week so I ended up reading Shadows of Self anyway. Ugh why can't it be January/February already?

Ex-Priest Tobin
May 25, 2014

by Reene
Not meaning to threadshit, but I've heard so many fantasy fans rave about this guy's novels that I picked up and read the first Mistborn novel. Really struggle to make out what the fuss is about? All the characters were stock, the storyline predictable and the prose functional at best. To be honest it felt like an average comic book in novel form. The magic system was kind of cool and interesting, and the plotting fairly tight the majority of the way through, but those are the only positive takeaways I had. Altogether I felt like I was reading something written by a 16-year-old.

Did I pick up the wrong one or are his others significantly better?

enigma105
Mar 16, 2004

His record...it's over 9-7!!!

Ex-Priest Tobin posted:

Not meaning to threadshit, but I've heard so many fantasy fans rave about this guy's novels that I picked up and read the first Mistborn novel. Really struggle to make out what the fuss is about? All the characters were stock, the storyline predictable and the prose functional at best. To be honest it felt like an average comic book in novel form. The magic system was kind of cool and interesting, and the plotting fairly tight the majority of the way through, but those are the only positive takeaways I had. Altogether I felt like I was reading something written by a 16-year-old.

Did I pick up the wrong one or are his others significantly better?

You picked up his second published novel, so it's definitely early in his career. The Emperor's Soul is considered his best by many, and Sanderson is always improving. He's also always writing, so there have been quite a few books written since then (Including the final 3 WoT books).

His early books also have the "Sanderson Avalanche", where every plot thread wraps up in the one or two crazy chapters. He has gotten better at that as well. He is still an outliner first, so his plots will always be pretty tight, but his characters are improving. Check out Warbreaker (it's free on his website) for a character most people really like (Lightsong).

His signature is the magic systems that he creates, and the rules he sticks with. If that kept you interested then it only gets better. If it isn't, it still gets better but I'd suggest Warbreaker (free) and the novella The Emporor's Soul to get a more modern Sanderson.

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
Personally I think the Mistborn books are crap, and it always astounds me when someone suggests them as a place to start. It's cardboard-character YA fantasy that goes on a few hundred thousand words too long.

He's an interesting author to follow because his writing has gotten consistently better over the years, rather than just sticking at the first success. By the time you hit Emperor's Soul or Way Of Kings (about ten novels into his career) they actually get quite enjoyable.

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

mossyfisk posted:

Personally I think the Mistborn books are crap, and it always astounds me when someone suggests them as a place to start. It's cardboard-character YA fantasy that goes on a few hundred thousand words too long.

He's an interesting author to follow because his writing has gotten consistently better over the years, rather than just sticking at the first success. By the time you hit Emperor's Soul or Way Of Kings (about ten novels into his career) they actually get quite enjoyable.

He also delivers books on a regular basis so it's safe to start reading a series that's not done, because you won't fall into the Rothfuss/Martin abyss of waiting 5+ years between books.

mewse
May 2, 2006

I really liked mistborn, even the first novel, but this is the second time I've heard someone having significant trouble enjoying it. It might just be that I can abide cliches without gagging? I really wonder why it's polarizing

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde

mewse posted:

I really wonder why it's polarizing

Different folks, different strokes and all that but i still wonder why too. As cheesy and "young adult novel"* as it is, I find the first Mistborn to have a pleasant cast of characters and extremely good at invoking a scene. Would love to see it hit the cinema or a high quality tv show.

*This I genuinely don't understand. What does it mean in a negative light? It'd be like accusing star wars of being too sci-fantasy or star trek of being in space. Would Mistborn be improved if it was channeling GRRM or something? Vin gets pretty grim at times and Mistborn gets plenty dark so this accusation baffles me.

I will agree that it drags in book 2. It sets up book 3 pretty good which has a great final act.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ex-Priest Tobin
May 25, 2014

by Reene

mewse posted:

I really liked mistborn, even the first novel, but this is the second time I've heard someone having significant trouble enjoying it. It might just be that I can abide cliches without gagging? I really wonder why it's polarizing

Too juvenile (notwithstanding that this is fantasy lit we're discussing) and too cliched I think about sums it up. It's a spot-on point about the 'Sanderson avalanche' as well. Throughout the novel I was mostly thinking 'yeah, this is kind of cliched and by the numbers but the guy does know how to spin a tight plot at the least', but that more or less unravelled in the last few chapters: the pacing was way off.

Interesting to know that his writing does improve though, so I will add Emperor's Soul to my list. Thanks for the recommendation. Even though I found it disappointing in the end, Final Empire did show a bit of talent in world-building which I felt would have been better displayed in the hands of a more technically adept author. I definitely do like a bit of cheese fantasy as well so long as it's well done, so will give him another shot.