Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx
DSmart retweet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plankalkuel
Mar 29, 2008

1500 posted:

I also have a background in Control Systems, and that is why I wrote that. It is much easier to fake it then do what CIG are doing. There is also the problem that control systems are run on real time systems (windows is not a real time system), and as such are taken care of as fast as possible, if we take what is happening in AC, controls get worse as your frame rate drops, it might be because the control system is not getting updated and so you are actually losing control of the ship because you computer is not getting around to makes those calculations.

Nice to meet another Control Systems guy :)

Actually, if you want to control a simulated system (which the spaceship in SC is), you do not have to run anything on a real-time system. The simulation and the controller just have to be in lock-step, such that the controller code is executed once every XXms of simulation time. This, of course, necessitates that
1. the simulation can be run fast enough to run in "real-time" from the player's perspective (e.g. for 100ms simulation time, the computer has to do 50ms worth of calculations in real time) and
2. if the controller is configured to run every XXms of simulation time, there has to be data from the simulation at those intervals.

What you are writing sounds as if, in a low-fps situation, the simulation time step length increases and so does the controller's step length. While there are ways to design a controller for varying time-step length, this is by no means trivial to do properly! There are ways to get around these issues but seem easy to me. As such it is an rear end-backwards approach to a problem, an arcade/WWII-Dogfight-in-Space game shouldn't even have!

EDIT @LastCaress: Nice copy-pasting action there :haw:

Plankalkuel fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Nov 10, 2015

Namefag Edgelord
Nov 10, 2015

by Cowcaster

Google Butt posted:

Your posting

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

An RSS feed bot who makes questionable purchasing decisions.
Pillbug

Namefag Edgelord posted:

[citation needed]

Interests include PC gaming, cycling, death to capitalism, hiking, and slum-dunking goons on their own forums.

jaffyjaffy
Sep 27, 2010
Hopefully nothing shady like this happens with my attempt at a refund. I paid with credit and it is most likely far past any deadline that I assume exists for chargebacks (I've never needed to do a chargeback before). I never touched anything in the market beyond my initial Bounty Hunter LTI package so it should go through cleanly without any issue. In theory I'll have their old ToS on my side once December rolls around if I have yet to hear back.

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

theultimo posted:

slum-dunking

How does one dunk goons into slums?

Namefag Edgelord
Nov 10, 2015

by Cowcaster

CrazyLoon posted:

How does one dunk goons into slums?
By meta-gaming them into not going all-in on Bitcoin so they end up as doomed future-poors. This is the real reason I make you hate me.

It's definitely not because I can't help being super annoying and desperately want to be loved and accepted.

Namefag Edgelord fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Nov 10, 2015

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

Reclaimer
Sep 3, 2011

Pierced through the heart
but never killed

G0RF posted:

Yeah, it's bloody brilliant. Here's what it looks like when it happens:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1I_SS7jYQ30

The race to get your ship to a station - especially if you're hauling lots of loot or don't have cash reserves to cover the insurance rebuy on your ship - is one of the game's greatest bits of high stakes drama.

It's so elegantly done, too-- losing the navigational overlays makes the whole thing all the more rich. I'm sure Star Citizen will copy it-- overcomplicate it in an attempt to 'one up' Braben-- and completely rob it of fun, as is their wont recently.

Spacefuture with FTL travel and no one thinks to put the HUD into goggles or a visor instead of the drat windshield.

EightAce
May 10, 2015

Watch it all come crashing down on his head and wonder why any of us gave him money in the first place.

EightAce fucked around with this message at 08:39 on Apr 8, 2016

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem

This guy is one step ahead of the curve. Once fiat, I am sorry Seraph, I meant FIAT currency, crashes and burns to the ground all there will be left will be spaceship jpegs to pay your bills with.

Namefag Edgelord
Nov 10, 2015

by Cowcaster

EightAce posted:

....Nonce
Brit. You're probably not even a master-race London Brit, but some 3rd or 4th class hideous subspecies. Why are Brits the fugliest people on Earth, anyway? Was it all the in-breeding, or just the decades of bad dental?

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

that post only said Brit. before

here's an edit

Victory Position fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Nov 10, 2015

Namefag Edgelord
Nov 10, 2015

by Cowcaster

Lovely Senorita posted:

that post only said before. before

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Lovely Senorita posted:

apparently he realized how lame it sounded and tried to ninja before we noticed and went on ignoring him.

Namefag Edgelord
Nov 10, 2015

by Cowcaster

SneakyFrog posted:

apparently he realized how lame it sounded and tried to ninja before we noticed and went on ignoring him.
[citation needed]

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Namefag Edgelord posted:

[citation needed]

:guinness:

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Seraph it is a two-second inconvenience to place your new accounts on ignore please save me the trouble and just blankpost from now on tia

Namefag Edgelord
Nov 10, 2015

by Cowcaster

Lovely Senorita posted:

here's an edit

Obvious photoshop.

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Namefag Edgelord posted:

Obvious photoshop.

we'll be seeing you sooner than we ever wished, because I'm literally talking to a child rapist

Namefag Edgelord
Nov 10, 2015

by Cowcaster

Sarsapariller posted:

Seraph it is a two-second inconvenience to place your new accounts on ignore please save me the trouble and just blankpost from now on tia
You still haven't figured out the rules of the game - everyone time you write "Seraph", I gain 200 points hth tia

Lovely Senorita posted:

because I'm literally talking to a child rapist
Actually you're literally typing hth you understand how the word literally works

EightAce
May 10, 2015

Watch it all come crashing down on his head and wonder why any of us gave him money in the first place.

Namefag Edgelord posted:

Brit. You're probably not even a master-race London Brit, but some 3rd or 4th class hideous subspecies. Why are Brits the fugliest people on Earth, anyway? Was it all the in-breeding, or just the decades of bad dental?

I may or may not be British but you are most definitely a Nonce, or 'Cholo' if it makes you feel better

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

Pillbug

EightAce posted:

I may or may not be British but you are most definitely a Nonce, or 'Cholo' if it makes you feel better

I just go with the time honored tradition of wanker

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

ball locks

Namefag Edgelord
Nov 10, 2015

by Cowcaster

EightAce posted:

I may or may not be British

celewign
Jul 11, 2015

just get us in the playoffs

A Neurotic Jew posted:

DSmart retweet.

I don't think that's very fair though, Skyrim was a sequel and not very ground breaking. SC claims to be setting new limits etc etc bullshit etc

Furious Mittens
Oct 14, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

Maldoror posted:

I have some extra thousands of dollars, I am going to spend it on this imaginary spaceship game to get the best ships, then I can own noobs right from the start!

Can't wait to spend all my time owning noobs!

Owning noobs is my basic need!

NOOOOBSS!!!! I WILL OWN YOU IN MY EXPENSIVE SPACE SHIPS!!! THEY WILL LOOK COOLER THAN YOUR CHEAPER SHIPS SO I WILL LOOK SUPER COOL DOING IT!!!!

MY DREAMS ARE GOING TO COME TRUUUEE!!!!!!!

And in the same breath, the space whales vehemently proclaim, "This game is not pay to win!!!!!!"

WebDO
Sep 25, 2009

Remember when we had hell bans?

EightAce
May 10, 2015

That's right by critisizing the UK the fact you are a kiddie fiddler fades into irrelevance. You are an oxygen thief and about as funny as a burning orphanage. To repeat, jog on you loving, nonce, cholo,beast, stowt the baw, monster

celewign
Jul 11, 2015

just get us in the playoffs

Namefag Edgelord posted:

[citation needed]

can we not ban him this time, mods, please? i'd like to hear what he has to say. you guys keep stopping him from explaining himself cogently and i'm sure he has a lot of important points to make.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

celewign posted:

I don't think that's very fair though, Skyrim was a sequel and not very ground breaking. SC claims to be setting new limits etc etc bullshit etc
On the other hand, with mods, Skyrim is probably closer to the life replacement simulator that a lot of Star Citizens seem to want.

Namefag Edgelord
Nov 10, 2015

by Cowcaster

EightAce posted:

stowt the baw
I'm going to have to ask you to explain this one, please.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
this thread is getting awfully meta

Nov 3, 2015

Give me all your crackers

Plankalkuel posted:

Nice to meet another Control Systems guy :)

Actually, if you want to control a simulated system (which the spaceship in SC is), you do not have to run anything on a real-time system. The simulation and the controller just have to be in lock-step, such that the controller code is executed once every XXms of simulation time. This, of course, necessitates that
1. the simulation can be run fast enough to run in "real-time" from the player's perspective (e.g. for 100ms simulation time, the computer has to do 50ms worth of calculations in real time) and
2. if the controller is configured to run every XXms of simulation time, there has to be data from the simulation at those intervals.

What you are writing sounds as if, in a low-fps situation, the simulation time step length increases and so does the controller's step length. While there are ways to design a controller for varying time-step length, this is by no means trivial to do properly! There are ways to get around these issues but seem easy to me. As such it is an rear end-backwards approach to a problem, an arcade/WWII-Dogfight-in-Space game shouldn't even have!

EDIT @LastCaress: Nice copy-pasting action there :haw:

You are right, a real time operating system is not need, as long as you carefully control what that operating system is doing so that it is able to perform those XXms of simulation time when they are called (this also depends on how often you want your controller updated). Its just easier to use a real time system, then you don't have to worry about other operations screwing up your controller, and forces good coding.

The problem is that I don't think you can force Windows to operate that way (ignore everything else when the controller data is needed), you also can't control what people have put on their PC's.

But really who makes a controller for a loving video game. There really is just no point. Its doing "realism for the sake of realism" and not because it enhances the game play experience.

Namefag Edgelord
Nov 10, 2015

by Cowcaster

Eonwe posted:

this thread is getting awfully meta
Hi Eonwe!!!! Hi friend!!

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Namefag Edgelord posted:

You still haven't figured out the rules of the game - everyone time you write "Seraph", I gain 200 points hth tia

That's okay because every time you wake up friendless and alone and contemplate the effort it would take to try, today, just try to get out that door and get a job and live a happy life and maybe talk to somebody in person it sends you spiraling down into depression and you think about how much easier just giving up and ending it all in a bottle of vodka and a handful of anti-psychotic meds would be but in the end you're too big of a coward for that even, too afraid of the unknown so instead you sigh deeply and go masturbate to pictures of children and post on something awful- every time that happens, you lose, Seraph.

Namefag Edgelord
Nov 10, 2015

by Cowcaster

Sarsapariller posted:

That's okay because every time you wake up friendless and alone and contemplate the effort it would take to try, today, just try to get out that door and get a job and live a happy life and maybe talk to somebody in person it sends you spiraling down into depression
Oh man this is going to be so :perfect: some day if/when you find out what I do for a living. This is like some kind of weird "pre-selfown" happening here.

Raskolnikov
Nov 25, 2003

I'm really important. Really.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

Reclaimer posted:

Spacefuture with FTL travel and no one thinks to put the HUD into goggles or a visor instead of the drat windshield.
Chris Roberts thought of it and forced a protesting design team to implement it over the course of months. An entire menu system available to you in helmet! You know, for immersion and fidelity's sake.

Turns out it was crap all when it came to fun. Having to put your helmet on whenever you wanted to do stuff-- even if you'd prefer an unobstructed view as you gazed contemplatively out of a window-- sucked.

It got scrapped. Money was wasted. Time misspent. Tears were shed. And you would never have seen them if the guy shedding them was wearing his helmet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

Pillbug
Puppetmaster defense now, huh. It seems the cycle of star citizens is exactly the same always

• Locked thread