Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Crash74
May 11, 2009

Google Butt posted:

Close this thread Derek, nobody start another one until something happens, thanks

No don't, lowtax can get another hundo out of seraph re regs for the new server thingy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

Google Butt posted:

Close this thread Derek, nobody start another one until something happens, thanks

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

This dude was trying to start an argument with me on facebook or whatever, and told me to "return to my video game" and at first I was like gently caress this guy but then that made me remember Legacy of the Void came out today and I should go play it. So do I thank him?

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

Reclaimer posted:

Spacefuture with FTL travel and no one thinks to put the HUD into goggles or a visor instead of the drat windshield.

This kinda poo poo has always bothered me with space based games. People like Croberts keep thinking with loving 90's tech in mind. "THERE WILL BE GLASS AND A COCKPIT AND MANUAL CONTROLS AND AWESOME poo poo."

I mean... We have the helmet hud/camera tech, we are LITERALLY testing bio-neural connectors (granted right now its in its infancy and being tested for cripples)... Think about reaction times in a highly maneuverable fighter sized craft using direct-brain connections. Anyone using ancient stick control schemes, relying on their actual eyes for info in a limited degree arc would be shot down immediately.

But then again, fighters/bombers/small ships would never be used (for actual combat) when you consider the type of weapons, tracking speed, kill-distance capabilities, and the absolute scale of space warfare. youd most likely be looking at frigate and larger only style vessels. You figure, a laser/light/energy based weapon utilizing a ball sconce type turret would be able to instantly track and kill anything moving at even high speeds well before a small fighter-sized ship could even get in range for its smaller, much less powerful laser, to be able to penetrate any kind of depth in the hull of a huge ship. Literally, it wouldnt even be a turret so much as an optical lense that could focus in almost any direction with ease and the computing power behind the weapons tracking software would absolutely incredible. These ships would basicly never miss.

But we are also talking about combat that would be taking place over thousands of miles between combating ships are well. The chance of close-encounter combat scenarios would be pretty much nil unless you got "THE PICARD MANUEVRE!" captain somewhere being a total Karl.

fake edit: i put more effort into this post than CiG has put into Star Citizen.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.
I can't believe I'm resorting to Internet witchcraft but dammit this thread is in terminal decay and desperate times call for desperate measures...

"Derek Smart, Derek Smart, DEREK SMART!!!"

(Help me summon him people!)

Molotov Cock Tale
Jun 30, 2010

The Saddest Robot posted:

So they're trying to make ships spiral out of control when their thrusters and control systems are damaged and about to explode.

Except they can't control how the ships spiral out of control in the way that they want them to because the thrusters are damaged and unable to follow the carefully defined "out of control" flight path.

As opposed to just having them spiral out of control in whatever direction the flight engine says they should?

I guess that's not cinematic enough.

:star citizen:

Needs a fifth mocap studio. In space. Flying real ships in a spiral with mocap dots all over them.

So I expect that's the next stretch goal?

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

Google Butt posted:

It's bad regardless

You could help by not posting.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Molotov Cock Tale posted:

Needs a fifth mocap studio. In space. Flying real ships in a spiral with mocap dots all over them.

So I expect that's the next stretch goal?

Meet their mocap studio v.5

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

grimcreaper posted:

This kinda poo poo has always bothered me with space based games. People like Croberts keep thinking with loving 90's tech in mind. "THERE WILL BE GLASS AND A COCKPIT AND MANUAL CONTROLS AND AWESOME poo poo."

I mean... We have the helmet hud/camera tech, we are LITERALLY testing bio-neural connectors (granted right now its in its infancy and being tested for cripples)... Think about reaction times in a highly maneuverable fighter sized craft using direct-brain connections. Anyone using ancient stick control schemes, relying on their actual eyes for info in a limited degree arc would be shot down immediately.

But then again, fighters/bombers/small ships would never be used (for actual combat) when you consider the type of weapons, tracking speed, kill-distance capabilities, and the absolute scale of space warfare. youd most likely be looking at frigate and larger only style vessels. You figure, a laser/light/energy based weapon utilizing a ball sconce type turret would be able to instantly track and kill anything moving at even high speeds well before a small fighter-sized ship could even get in range for its smaller, much less powerful laser, to be able to penetrate any kind of depth in the hull of a huge ship. Literally, it wouldnt even be a turret so much as an optical lense that could focus in almost any direction with ease and the computing power behind the weapons tracking software would absolutely incredible. These ships would basicly never miss.

But we are also talking about combat that would be taking place over thousands of miles between combating ships are well. The chance of close-encounter combat scenarios would be pretty much nil unless you got "THE PICARD MANUEVRE!" captain somewhere being a total Karl.

fake edit: i put more effort into this post than CiG has put into Star Citizen.

I remember reading some sci-fi book that was like that. All the "fighters" were little drones that were basically just missiles and combat took place over huge areas and was essentially all run by computers. I think the only "manned" turret in it was a ground-based anti-air weapon that just operated on a dead-man switch. If I remember right it could basically instantly track, target, and vaporize anything out to the horizon but for some stupid reason it needed a guy in it to stop it from doing that if a friendly ship came in? I don't know why they didn't have IFF tags, but whatever. So the dude's only job was to hold a button down until they got attacked and then they let go and just went along for the ride. I want to say it was "The Forever War" but I could be wrong.

I'll admit though, it doesn't sound like a very fun video game.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

AP posted:

You could help by not posting.

:iamafag:

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

Beet Wagon posted:

To be fair, neither does Star Citizen.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Mirificus posted:

To be fair, neither does Star Citizen.

Yeah, you have a point.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I would love to know how much lowtax has made off this thread.

Loiosh
Jul 25, 2010

The Saddest Robot posted:

So they're trying to make ships spiral out of control when their thrusters and control systems are damaged and about to explode.

Except they can't control how the ships spiral out of control in the way that they want them to because the thrusters are damaged and unable to follow the carefully defined "out of control" flight path.

As opposed to just having them spiral out of control in whatever direction the flight engine says they should?

I guess that's not cinematic enough.

:star citizen:

So, firstly this is an update related to the spline system.

quote:

We’ve made a couple of nice improvements to spline flying for ships. As you may know, ships mostly fly freely in combat, but we do sometimes have them use splines to achieve results that we can’t otherwise get easily. For example, if we want a ship to fly close to other objects or through small gaps, their obstacle avoidance usually won’t allow it, and so we can markup maps with splines to guide ships through these kinds of areas.

They had 3 different methods they wanted to use. It's all in the monthly update, but essentially they wanted to make ship destruction a bit more creative than explode (or swap out model, frame, frame, swap in debris and explode, which is the older system that was replaced a bit ago, however, made great gif). 1 was scripted events that would activate near other objects (like spiraling into a platform or asteroid), but it would be rare in space. Here's what they've said about the death flourishes:

quote:

The idea is to have a generalized framework to sometimes delay the destruction of an AI ship when it has become fatally damaged, so that we can have it do something interesting, such as perform a death spiral, before it is destroyed. But it also needs to be smart, and not make the ship invulnerable to further damage while doing its death flourish. You don’t want it to fly a death spiral into an asteroid and NOT explode!

They settled for using death spiral splines. The AI knows how to to fly them and they are easy for the ship designers to use. They can also be customized into objects (animation tags) so you could have spline-into-structure types of destructions to add flavor to exploding jpegs. What they discovered is that the because the AI does not cheat and uses all the same controls and inputs the player does, that some of the tighter splines would not be correctly flown.

quote:

Finally, we tried a very simple but surprisingly effective option of just jamming one of the ship’s thrusters on! If you pick the right one, a ship will quickly go into an uncontrollable spin. It works well, though it’s a bit limited in variety, so we will use this along with the spline flying option, and have tunable probabilities for seeing these things happen before a ship is destroyed. Over time, we hope to expand the list of possible death flourishes with other ideas, which could even allow for unique deaths for certain types of enemies. There’s a lot of fun to be had here, and the end result should mean more satisfying kills during dogfights.

Basically, it's something similar to what X-Wing and Tie Fighter used to have. Certain classes of ships would randomly leave a death flourish (usually just the central part sparking and spinning as it speeds off).

Loiosh
Jul 25, 2010

Beet Wagon posted:

I remember reading some sci-fi book that was like that. All the "fighters" were little drones that were basically just missiles and combat took place over huge areas and was essentially all run by computers. I think the only "manned" turret in it was a ground-based anti-air weapon that just operated on a dead-man switch. If I remember right it could basically instantly track, target, and vaporize anything out to the horizon but for some stupid reason it needed a guy in it to stop it from doing that if a friendly ship came in? I don't know why they didn't have IFF tags, but whatever. So the dude's only job was to hold a button down until they got attacked and then they let go and just went along for the ride. I want to say it was "The Forever War" but I could be wrong.

The Night's Dawn books by Peter F. Hamilton also dealt with one of the possible progression passes of space battles, where lots of small micro drone ordinance/counter ordinance was used. His later Commonwealth books would deal with energy weapons, most ship to ship combat would last a second or less.

My favorite is Alastair Reynolds in the Revelation Space series. Nothing quite like some slow and difficult speed-of-light combat that could last years.

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

MarcusSA posted:

I would love to know how much lowtax has made off this thread.

Im pretty sure that most recent dude pretending to be Seraph IS lowtax. Look at his posts and compare them to past lowtax stuff. I think hes having Star Fun with us.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Loiosh posted:

The Night's Dawn books by Peter F. Hamilton also dealt with one of the possible progression passes of space battles, where lots of small micro drone ordinance/counter ordinance was used. His later Commonwealth books would deal with energy weapons, most ship to ship combat would last a second or less.

My favorite is Alastair Reynolds in the Revelation Space series. Nothing quite like some slow and difficult speed-of-light combat that could last years.

My favourite in dumb space war poo poo was always the Transform Cannon and similar weapons. Nothing like ending a fight by just teleporting ordinance directly into the enemy ship.

Those things used giant fusion bombs as ordinance, though. This meant even near misses could be hilariously effective.

Molotov Cock Tale
Jun 30, 2010

Loiosh posted:

If you like realistic future space war check out http://www.projectrho.com/public_html/rocket/ it's a well written/researched site on how physics influences warfare in space, if you haven't already seen it I imagine you'll like it.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Loiosh posted:

I'll have to find the book when I get home, but I'm pretty sure it was The Forever War, by Joe Haldeman. The way they did space combat was definitely interesting. At one point the main troop carrier ship thing comes out of jump, gets targeted by the enemy, fires back, starts evasive maneuvers, and then everybody has to wait like ten minutes to see which shots are going to hit and which ones aren't.

Loiosh
Jul 25, 2010

Beet Wagon posted:

I'll have to find the book when I get home, but I'm pretty sure it was The Forever War, by Joe Haldeman. The way they did space combat was definitely interesting. At one point the main troop carrier ship thing comes out of jump, gets targeted by the enemy, fires back, starts evasive maneuvers, and then everybody has to wait like ten minutes to see which shots are going to hit and which ones aren't.

Joe Halderman is one of my favorite authors, though I've never read The Forever War. I really loved his All My Sins Remembered. TFW is on my list to pick up (also what everyone else posted. I read.. a LOT, so it's all going on my list).

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

Cultists are falling over themselves to get concierge so they can be allowed to spend :10bux: on useless cards:

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

G0RF posted:

I can't believe I'm resorting to Internet witchcraft but dammit this thread is in terminal decay and desperate times call for desperate measures...

"Derek Smart, Derek Smart, DEREK SMART!!!"

(Help me summon him people!)

you have to pet peters cat too.

JainDoh
Nov 5, 2002

Omar strollin'
The shitposting is Roberts & Roberts attempting to sink this thread because it's a threat

And the money going to lowtax came from jpegs...

cultist rp itt

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Namefag Edgelord posted:

Hi Peter how are you? You're funny and I like you. We're friends - even if the others try to tear us apart - okay? BTW I bond for life.

All good man, allll gooooooood :)

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene

Loiosh posted:

Joe Halderman is one of my favorite authors, though I've never read The Forever War. I really loved his All My Sins Remembered. TFW is on my list to pick up (also what everyone else posted. I read.. a LOT, so it's all going on my list).

cannot recommend The Forever War enough

SyRauk
Jun 21, 2007

The Persian Menace
I'm going through the refund blackhole as well. My account has already been de-activated but, alas, my paypal account still shows nothing. It's been over 10 days that they said would be needed for the funds to clear. Has anyone had a successful refund?

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

SyRauk posted:

I'm going through the refund blackhole as well. My account has already been de-activated but, alas, my paypal account still shows nothing. It's been over 10 days that they said would be needed for the funds to clear. Has anyone had a successful refund?

Im still waiting for a response to my refund request for my Hopes and Dreams since i didnt actually back the game.

Valatar
Sep 26, 2011

A remarkable example of a pathetic species.
Lipstick Apathy

SyRauk posted:

Check your credit cards. They apparently default to chargebacks rather than paypal, so the money might be there instead.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

LCL-Dead posted:

Newest reply. Somehow being gifted something, melting it, rebuying the LTI version and gifting it back counts against my account even though the actual transaction is listed as $0.00USD in the billing page, therefore not contributing to overall amount spent.

Reply:

I think this is a clear case of "if you can't dazzle them with brilliance baffle them with bullshit".

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

An RSS feed bot who makes questionable purchasing decisions.
Pillbug

MeLKoR posted:

I think this is a clear case of "if you can't dazzle them with brilliance baffle them with bullshit".

The Chewbacca defense

SyRauk
Jun 21, 2007

The Persian Menace

Valatar posted:

Check your credit cards. They apparently default to chargebacks rather than paypal, so the money might be there instead.

Just checked and it was there. I got confused by the whole PayPal stuff they kept telling me in the e-mail. Thanks!

Jst0rm
Sep 16, 2012
Grimey Drawer
why the gently caress is this guy so insane?

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Google Butt posted:

The greatest self own of all

That's a hosed up AV, every time I see you post I crack up. You can't just not laugh along.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Loiosh posted:

Joe Halderman is one of my favorite authors, though I've never read The Forever War.
:psyduck:

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

BMan posted:

Cultists are falling over themselves to get concierge so they can be allowed to spend :10bux: on useless cards:

It all makes sense now, and much more logical from a 'marketing' standpoint

They've forced all the fence sitters to pony up that extra $50-100, and they know there will still be more for the anniversary sale

Loiosh
Jul 25, 2010

It's not the kind of reading I normally go for. I picked some of his smaller works before getting into a large series like that. I read about 200 books a year, I'll get there.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

SyRauk posted:

Just checked and it was there. I got confused by the whole PayPal stuff they kept telling me in the e-mail. Thanks!

So who's the refund from? :munch:

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Loiosh posted:

So, firstly this is an update related to the spline system.

They had 3 different methods they wanted to use. It's all in the monthly update, but essentially they wanted to make ship destruction a bit more creative than explode (or swap out model, frame, frame, swap in debris and explode, which is the older system that was replaced a bit ago, however, made great gif). 1 was scripted events that would activate near other objects (like spiraling into a platform or asteroid), but it would be rare in space. Here's what they've said about the death flourishes:

They settled for using death spiral splines. The AI knows how to to fly them and they are easy for the ship designers to use. They can also be customized into objects (animation tags) so you could have spline-into-structure types of destructions to add flavor to exploding jpegs. What they discovered is that the because the AI does not cheat and uses all the same controls and inputs the player does, that some of the tighter splines would not be correctly flown.

Basically, it's something similar to what X-Wing and Tie Fighter used to have. Certain classes of ships would randomly leave a death flourish (usually just the central part sparking and spinning as it speeds off).

This is all very interesting but you missed the crucial question: Are the splines reticulated or non-reticulated?

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret
And now I'm missing Auto Assault. (Yes, they got it from Sim City 2000)

E: \/ I've been known to do something horribly similar. It's _expensive_. PS: Forever War is a single book, not a series, man.

Warcabbit fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Nov 10, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

squirrelzipper
Nov 2, 2011

Loiosh posted:

It's not the kind of reading I normally go for. I picked some of his smaller works before getting into a large series like that. I read about 200 books a year, I'll get there.

You finish a book every 44 hours?

• Locked thread