Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

DumbWhiteGuy posted:

It's probably getting dated by now, but Jason MacDonald vs Maia at UFC 87 was my gold standard for a long time.

Same, I was going to mention this one. MacDonald is long forgotten now but he was quite entertaining when he first entered the UFC.

Maia vs Sonnen for a hilarious grappling smack-down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phyzzle
Jan 26, 2008
I thought Maia vs. Munoz was an interesting look at how a high level collegiate wrestler and a high level BJJ practitioner move so differently on the ground. Not as exciting as (the first round of) Maia vs. Shields, though.

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(
Sakuraba v Renzo and Sakuraba v Carlos Newton were the classic grappling battles. of their time. and obviously by any standard theyre both amazing grapplers. The ending of Sakuraba v Renzo is still probably one of the finest submission achievements in mma.

Also watch frank Mir v the Traven guy to see him wreck some insanely credentialed person with a weird move, then watch him v Pe de Pano to see him get crushed by someone with good credentials

Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011
Watch Pe De Pano vs Monson

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

"I AINT DYING! Choo choo motherfucker!"
:toot::birddrugs::toot:

origami posted:

Watch Pe De Pano vs Monson

Why didn't Lana de pano have more of a career. That's right when I was getting started being hardcore.

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011

Captain Log posted:

Why didn't Lana de pano have more of a career. That's right when I was getting started being hardcore.

his loss to arlovski was amazing

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

david carmichael posted:

his loss to arlovski was amazing

The best part of that match was when Arlovski kicked him in the head on the ground. Herb Dean tried to stand them up and warn Arlovski and PDP categorically refused, going so far as to claim he hadn't actually been kicked, just so he could stay on the ground. Then Arlovski knocked him stupid with a punch from his back and pounded him out while hanging onto the fence.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

fatherdog posted:

The best part of that match was when Arlovski kicked him in the head on the ground. Herb Dean tried to stand them up and warn Arlovski and PDP categorically refused, going so far as to claim he hadn't actually been kicked, just so he could stay on the ground. Then Arlovski knocked him stupid with a punch from his back and pounded him out while hanging onto the fence.

I'd forgotten about that, that was loving hilarious.

The replay showed them talking with the ref, all the while AA had his right hand cocked way back. As soon as Dean said go AA just slugged him.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
That dude who is new to posting here about MMA should have to watch Royce Gracie vs. Kazushi Sakuraba like I had to. Drinking your weight in scotch and writing up 3300 words about it is optional but preferred.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Memento posted:

That dude who is new to posting here about MMA should have to watch Royce Gracie vs. Kazushi Sakuraba like I had to. Drinking your weight in scotch and writing up 3300 words about it is optional but preferred.

I thought that fight was hilarious and Important for the history of the sport. I watched it with my friend on youtube, where is was cut into separate videos for each round. We didn't know beforehand how many rounds it would be, so imagine our surprise when the drat thing just kept on going.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
When I first got into MMA, I found an archive of every single PRIDE event and watched all of them from the very beginning. I don't think I could make myself do that today. Weird finger-glove kickboxing seems like it would be funny, but it's really not.

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

I need something stronger.

Memento posted:

Hey now, I did know enough to watch that before searching for anything else. I also watched a few of the documentaries around the sport.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Gadamer posted:

Hey now, I did know enough to watch that before searching for anything else. I also watched a few of the documentaries around the sport.

Blessed with venom is a cool documentary if you like punchkickmans.

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything

BlindSite posted:

Blessed with venom is a cool documentary if you like punchkickmans.

that should be a buddy cop movie featuring Holloway and MVP

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

-Atom- posted:

that should be a buddy cop movie featuring Holloway and MVP

Instead it will star GSP and be retitled "Blessed Wit Riddum"

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
Since I didn't start watching UFC regularly until mid-2012, I missed the GSP/Hughes/Penn era at welterweight.

1. I haven't seen much of prime Penn. Was he good enough to be competitive today at lightweight in his prime, or was it more a function of shallower divisions?

2. Am I wrong in thinking that Hughes would be small for 170 by today's standards? He's pretty thick but not Lombard/Hendricks thick.

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(

Ditch posted:

Since I didn't start watching UFC regularly until mid-2012, I missed the GSP/Hughes/Penn era at welterweight.

1. I haven't seen much of prime Penn. Was he good enough to be competitive today at lightweight in his prime, or was it more a function of shallower divisions?

2. Am I wrong in thinking that Hughes would be small for 170 by today's standards? He's pretty thick but not Lombard/Hendricks thick.

1. Yes he was insanely good but he theres no universe where the trains hard enough to deal with edgar

2. Size judgments are weird. Hughes is wide and strong compared to anyone who can cut to 170 though, Im sure. Hed be hosed now based on the fact theres wrestlers who he couldnt just straight up takedown, and he was vulnerable standing

The ongoing narrative about how fighters are constantly getting way better is based somewhat in truth that training is becoming better in general but there have been athletic freaks and super skilled people in mma forever

Bundt Cake fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Nov 10, 2015

manyak
Jan 26, 2006

Ditch posted:

1. "Prime" penn is a weird thing because in lots of peoples minds he never trained to his full potential so it was hard to say when he was actually his best. But him vs frankie the first two times wasnt too far out from when he was probably his best and if you watch that you can extrapolate since Frankie still exists

2. The average size of guys in every division has gone up but Hughes wouldnt be tiny, hed still be strong probably but yeah

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

:qq:He expended too much energy and got tired:qq:

I'M NOT SURPRISED MOTHERFUCKERS
BJ was really talented but I remember when he won the lightweight title people instantly called him the best lightweight ever. He was really good but he never had the in cage record other people did.

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(

Dangersim posted:

BJ was really talented but I remember when he won the lightweight title people instantly called him the best lightweight ever. He was really good but he never had the in cage record other people did.

Other than Gomi's GP win and Jens Pulver's UFC run, what else had anyone done at LW? Kawajiri and others had accomplished things in Shooto, but when BJ took the title from Sherk it confirmed what everyone already knew from BJs history, that he was the best LW.

I still think hes the best LW to do it. He was the best lw fighter for like ten years

manyak
Jan 26, 2006
BJ won the welterweight title before he even won the lightweight title i thought, unless im misremembering the fight with caol uno. people probably already thought he was the best

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(

manyak posted:

BJ won the welterweight title before he even won the lightweight title i thought, unless im misremembering the fight with caol uno. people probably already thought he was the best

You're right. He fought at LW first though

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

I guess I've just never been on the bj train. Yeah he was super talented but he got beat a ton of times. Not many were at lightweight true, but his lightweight title defenses were against Sherk, which was impressive, Kenny, which was a good win but beating kenny was not earth shattering accomplishment, and Diego sanchez, which was a joke. In the midst of all this he got obliterated by gsp. So maybe he was the best lightweight, but I always felt he was overrated, and soon people are going to start getting rose tinted glasses.

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(
We couldve saved a lot of time arguing about who was better if wed known that every fighter would be remembered as bad and anyone who didnt watch some of their fights live is going to be extremely skeptical about how good they were

mewse
May 2, 2006

BJ's win over Sherk was impressive at the time.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Dangersim posted:

I guess I've just never been on the bj train. Yeah he was super talented but he got beat a ton of times. Not many were at lightweight true, but his lightweight title defenses were against Sherk, which was impressive, Kenny, which was a good win but beating kenny was not earth shattering accomplishment, and Diego sanchez, which was a joke. In the midst of all this he got obliterated by gsp. So maybe he was the best lightweight, but I always felt he was overrated, and soon people are going to start getting rose tinted glasses.

Arguing that BJ isn't the best lightweight ever because he lost to the best welterweight ever in the middle of cleaning out the lightweight division is a little ridiculous.

At the time BJ made his lightweight title run he was pretty clearly the best lightweight ever because, as I've said many times, this is MMA and "Ever" means "Since 1989". The only person who'd accomplished anything close to BJ's run at lightweight was Gomi, and BJ had already beaten the gently caress out of him.

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(

Dangersim posted:

Kenny was a much better fighter than Sherk. I think you know this

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

Its a thing ive always had a bout bj, even in his prime. Super talented but didn't work as hard as other people, and if the going got tough he usually lost.

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011
bj's best win was against gomi, without doubt. bj was training with good coaches full time from the jump, and he was really far ahead of almost everyone skill wise prior to the first gsp fight. even after that he was still obviously very good relative to the rest of the roster, he just wasn't head and shoulders better than everyone.

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(

Dangersim posted:

Its a thing ive always had a bout bj, even in his prime. Super talented but didn't work as hard as other people, and if the going got tough he usually lost.

Yeah and lets hear the names of those chumps who pushed him

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(

david carmichael posted:

bj's best win was against gomi, without doubt. bj was training with good coaches full time from the jump, and he was really far ahead of almost everyone skill wise prior to the first gsp fight. even after that he was still obviously very good relative to the rest of the roster, he just wasn't head and shoulders better than everyone.

gomi wasnt even gomi when they fought. he mostly wrestled

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011
let us be incredibly clear: while bj's win against gomi is his best win, he also cheated non stop and the entire thing was greasy

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011

Bundt Cake posted:

gomi wasnt even gomi when they fought. he mostly wrestled

half a gomi is easily better than kenny florian

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(

david carmichael posted:

half a gomi is easily better than kenny florian

what percentage of gomi fought kenny

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Ditch posted:

Penn was The Prodigy, its hard to live up to a name like that but he did. He has his ups and downs for sure, but its worth watching his career from the start. Some of the stuff he does is hilarious. Like going up in wieght to take on the super dominant Hughes, and subbing him easily. Or calling off his own fight against Pulver 2. Or his fight with Diego Sanchez.

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011

Bundt Cake posted:

what percentage of gomi fought kenny

i don't recall any such contest ever taking place

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(
BJ has a couple things that don't show up on paper but I'll bring them up

1) GSP tried to quit on his stool against him in their first fight after the first round
2) Jens tapped to BJs armbar after the bell rang at the end of the, uh, second I think, round

oh yeah and against hughes he suffered something I forget the name of thats extremely common amongst gymnasts who come back from a lay off and hurt themselves, so basically he didn't even train and only ended up utterly helpless and bloody having his face smashed in by a creepy hick

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"

david carmichael posted:

i don't recall any such contest ever taking place

Gomi was cruelly tricked when Joe Silva told him he would be meeting Ben Stiller for an autograph and photo shoot.

manyak
Jan 26, 2006

Bundt Cake posted:

1) GSP tried to quit on his stool against him in their first fight after the first round

wasnt that because of an eyepoke?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

Bundt Cake posted:

2) Jens tapped to BJs armbar after the bell rang at the end of the, uh, second I think, round

oh yeah and against hughes he suffered something I forget the name of thats extremely common amongst gymnasts who come back from a lay off and hurt themselves, so basically he didn't even train and only ended up utterly helpless and bloody having his face smashed in by a creepy hick

What about wHen he got fitched to a 10-8