Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER

Dave Inc. posted:

Why is it always the HPDE-1 group that has the drivers who refuse to get passed?

'cause it's the group that has the most "new guys" in it. They're either so focused on their instructor's instructions or "the line" that they're oblivious to what's going on around them; or they're so inexperienced on track they red mist and wanna "win". We had probably 3-5 of the first sort and at least three of the second sort at that event in DE1.

Power cars are the worst.

The Prong Song fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Nov 9, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh

Sigma X posted:

'cause it's the group that has the most "new guys" in it. They're either so focused on their instructor's instructions or "the line" that they're oblivious to what's going on around them; or they're so inexperienced on track they red mist and wanna "win". We had probably 3-5 of the first sort and at least three of the second sort at that event in DE1.

My favourite is being on the rear end of a power car through turns to get a point by (only on straights at my track), having them floor it on the straight and dust me, then being on their rear end again by the apex of the first turn after the straight.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire

Crustashio posted:

My favourite is being on the rear end of a power car through turns to get a point by (only on straights at my track), having them floor it on the straight and dust me, then being on their rear end again by the apex of the first turn after the straight.

This is the worst. I went to one day at Pocono where there was one car that would murder everyone on the (few) straights but would create a horrible train for the rest of the track. Really maddening, that's the only time I was really frustrated with another driver.

Tekne
Feb 15, 2012

It's-a me, motherfucker

Sigma X posted:

The second group has their own video.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b7iUKaPlBl8

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
I've found that making a note of who's doing it and talking to them in the paddock usually works. It's one of those situations where it's easy to confuse malice with ignorance of what's around them.

More than a few people I've talked to, I got around them in the next session, and they followed me and were talking with their instructor about what I was doing and which lines I took.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Dude definitely should've let you by, and maybe it was the video perspective, but it looks like you were never getting real close to him. Backing off and leaving a huge gap sends mixed signals to the lead car that you're not committing to the pass. Notice the silver car who whizzes past you and up onto his rear end for a few turns gets a point-by in less than a lap. After a few track days, you learn that any car that appears in your rear view mirror that wasn't there before is a car that's faster than you, but I can't get too angry at a newbie who hasn't realized that yet. Get up on his rear end and stay there, he'll get the hint.

Crustashio posted:

Unless it was this kind of situation, in which case nevermind. The Worst.

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER

ColdPie posted:

...it looks like you were never getting real close to him. Backing off and leaving a huge gap sends mixed signals to the lead car that you're not committing to the pass...

FYI it's a really bad idea to ride the rear end of someone in DE1. Also bad track manners. It's a track day, not a race; and I generally leave sufficient space for the idiot in front of me to jam on the brakes mid-corner, spin out, or randomly lose control otherwise without me losing it.

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

Sigma X posted:

FYI it's a really bad idea to ride the rear end of someone in DE1. Also bad track manners. It's a track day, not a race; and I generally leave sufficient space for the idiot in front of me to jam on the brakes mid-corner, spin out, or randomly lose control otherwise without me losing it.

Agree with this, when I started out having a car right on my rear end mid corner was always unsettling. I still find myself on someones bumper on rare occasions though, typically when they brake very early for a corner or their corner entry speed is significantly lower than I was expecting.

Gets a lot better in the upper groups though, the club I'm in moved to open passing for the advanced group and it's fantastic. I actually get more point by's in the open group than anywhere else - everyone seems to be so much more conscious of where everyone else is because you can get passed at any point. Everyone typically still points by, but it's nice being able to point the C6Z06 driven by the head instructor through on the 2nd corner after the straight, rather than having them wait behind me until the next passing zone.

Does anyone here instruct? I've been asked by our club to instruct next year (with them running a full instructors course in the spring prior to the club lapping days) but I'm not sure I want to get in the passenger seat with some unknown person.

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
I MAP THE FUCK OUT OF PEOPLE

Sigma X posted:

You'll know he's about to spin long before he does. I've always ridden asses.

In the lower groups I blame a lack of point bys 100% on the instructor.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Sigma X posted:

I mean, don't bump draft them or ride through hard brake zones or tricky corners, but clearly let them know you're faster than them.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Check your mirrors everyone.

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
FYI. Chumpcar forums got hacked.

http://forum.chumpcar.com/index.php?/topic/13662-critically-important/

parid
Mar 18, 2004
Lol for days. They pay someone to run the forums for them and its been a disaster since day one. Ohh well, no reason for west coasters to go back there now that Lucky Dog has a full schedule.

Anyone else making the new years Laguna race?

SlapActionJackson
Jul 27, 2006

TrueChaos posted:

Does anyone here instruct? I've been asked by our club to instruct next year (with them running a full instructors course in the spring prior to the club lapping days) but I'm not sure I want to get in the passenger seat with some unknown person.

Yeah, I've been instructing for about a year and a half now with PCA. Our ITS is pretty intense and has two basic goals: 1. How to stay safe while riding shotgun (keeping your student under control). 2: How to work with whatever talent your student possesses to improve their driving. In particular, we do a lot of in-car role-playing with instructor trainers pretending to be all kinds of problem children and evaluating how you respond. If your club's training is any good, you'll do something similar.
There's no doubt that instructing adds to the risks you take at a DE, but It's made clear to us that our own safety is job #1.

So I'd encourage you to sign up for the training if it's something you think you're interested in. It should help you get over the fear of getting in the passenger seat with an unknown person by giving you tools to manage the situation. If not, there is no shame in telling the organizer that you don't think instructing is right for you.

Longpig Bard
Dec 29, 2004

parid posted:

Lol for days. They pay someone to run the forums for them and its been a disaster since day one. Ohh well, no reason for west coasters to go back there now that Lucky Dog has a full schedule.

Anyone else making the new years Laguna race?

They got one in friggin Rosarito, Baja. There's a non-zero chance I'd show up to that just to watch.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

TrueChaos posted:

I did for a few years and really enjoyed it. You'll occasionally get students that don't want to listen or drive past their skill levels but as long as you identify them quick you can reign them back in. I've talked with the local clubs about getting back into it but without any local tracks it likely won't happen, still do the occasional when I'm up north on the right weekends.

Your club should have designated instructor training days to get you comfortable instructing and learn how to deal with students.

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

With our rifles and grenades and some help from God.
The autox thread has fallen into the archives so I'll just post this here.
I was doing an event in the Bay Area this past weekend and one of our corner workers was hit by a car. The driver apparently had a tankslapper and then instantly got back on the gas the moment he righted himself before really getting his bearings back. He ended up pointing right at the people working the station and couldn't brake in time. Three of the people ran in one direction and one ran in the other, and the car ran her down. She bounced off the hood pretty hard and was thrown into the air. I was working one station over so I saw the whole thing, and she was already being attended to when I got over to her. I'm not entirely sure the extent of her injuries, but I'm pretty sure she was concussed and she was bleeding from her head. Aside from that they didn't want to move her for fear of a neck injury. She went away in an ambulance, obviously.

The moral of the story is, motorsport is dangerous, and even autocross can have insane moments that make no sense. I have no idea how that station could have been made any safer, because the car went off in a direction that was completely unexpected and had no relationship to the direction of travel. The corner workers were basically in the right place, yet there was still an accident that put them in the path of a Cayman at full chat. Stay safe out there.

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
Yet another reason to not autocross.

User Error
Aug 31, 2006
Where else can you stand in the heat all day for 4 minutes of action?

Muffinpox
Sep 7, 2004

McMadCow posted:

The moral of the story is, motorsport is dangerous, and even autocross can have insane moments that make no sense. I have no idea how that station could have been made any safer, because the car went off in a direction that was completely unexpected and had no relationship to the direction of travel. The corner workers were basically in the right place, yet there was still an accident that put them in the path of a Cayman at full chat. Stay safe out there.

How did it get to a place completely unrelated to direction of travel? Did it pull a complete 180 and loop around to nail the station? If not, that's just bad course design or worker placement.

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

Muffinpox posted:

How did it get to a place completely unrelated to direction of travel? Did it pull a complete 180 and loop around to nail the station? If not, that's just bad course design or worker placement.

I didn't see the spin that led to it, I only saw the impact. But yes, from what the race director described, the driver lost control at a corner before the station and then came out of it disoriented but still full on the gas. It was near a box section, so he probably saw the yellow cone of the entrance and aimed for the wrong side of it. I guess the course design needs to be re-examined, but really, that sort of thing could happen anywhere if the driver doesn't have their wits about them to get off the gas when they lose direction in the sea of cones.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
I'm pretty sure the club I run with says that if you loop it, just go both feet in. You're not going to salvage the run, so just coming to a safe, backwards stop is the best option.

e: god my early morning grammar is awful

Phone fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Nov 17, 2015

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Phone posted:

I'm pretty sure the club I run with says that if you loop it, just go both feet in. You're not going to salvage the run, so just come to a safe, backwards stop is the best option.

Indeed. I would be curious to see the course design and the exact placement. A properly placed station shouldn't be hittable unless the driver tries to hit it. A lot of course designers cut corners and a lot of safety stewards let them get away with it (and my unwillingness to be one of those guys is why I not a safety steward anymore, because of an incident with the same region scca. . .).

puberty worked me over
May 20, 2013

by Cyrano4747

nm posted:

A lot of course designers cut corners and a lot of safety stewards let them get away with it

RallyX is great when they change the course layout on a downhill after an uphill crest between runs and don't tell any of the drivers. :salt:

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

Phone posted:

I'm pretty sure the club I run with says that if you loop it, just go both feet in.

They do tell us that. I'll bet they're a bit more adamant about it from here on out.

McMadCow fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Nov 17, 2015

dema
Aug 13, 2006

Did babies first track day on Friday. Through Hooked on Driving at Thunderhill.

Appreciated that they had us do a few drills in the morning, before getting out to the track. Figure eights on the skid pad w/ TC off off and a few braking drills to get folks trusting their ABS. Coaching was great too. Huge newbie gains.

I was the youngest person there with a Corvette by half.

dema fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Nov 23, 2015

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
When are we going to have strava segments for cars?

dema
Aug 13, 2006

Over the lawyer's dead bodies.

Totally unrelated to that, here is a "workout" that I did: https://www.strava.com/activities/436306320

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

dema posted:

Over the lawyer's dead bodies.

Totally unrelated to that, here is a "workout" that I did: https://www.strava.com/activities/436306320
Note to self: bring my Garmin when I get out to a track.

Nice work.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

I've seen people ask about the actual cost to race in something like ChumpCar, Lemons or World Racing League. This doesn't include travel and food but should give you a good idea.

2013, three races. $6504 on tires/gas/brake/registration/transport and $13832 on car parts. $20336 total
2014, five races. $11357 and $6256 - $17613
2015, five races. $10731 and $3208 - $13939

2013 is when we built our car so the parts cost is substantially higher. Know how everyone says expect to spend about 10k before your first race...yeah. 2014 we bought two parts cars, I also did a decent amount of damage sliding the car down the wall at Road America Backwards. 2015 we replaced the motor but it was one we had built in 2013.

We split this between four people fairly evenly (within about 10%). This year we're all pitching in $4000 which should cover operating expenses for the year.

I spend $4-600 per race on flights, rental cars, lodging and food. This is less for the other guys since the team is based out of WI and most of the races are within six hours or so of them. Two races will be within driving distance for me this year (VIR and NCM) which will save me some cash.

tldr: racing isn't cheap but it isn't horribly expensive either if you can split it between several people :homebrew:

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
I would race if I could split it like that, but our track is all Sprint races so only partnerships make sense. I think next year I'm going to get my race license and do a rental just so I can say I've done it, then be able to hop into friends cars if they have an opening.

Also, apparently chump is coming out to my local track (AMP) [not AMP in Atlanta] next August. Curious to see how many cars come out because we're all the way out in NS.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

jamal posted:

When are we going to have strava segments for cars?

That's what AutosportLabs are going for with Podium: https://www.autosportlabs.com/announcing-podium-race-it-share-it-prove-it/

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002

NitroSpazzz posted:

2013, three races. $6504 on tires/gas/brake/registration/transport and $13832 on car parts. $20336 total
2014, five races. $11357 and $6256 - $17613
2015, five races. $10731 and $3208 - $13939

tldr: racing isn't cheap but it isn't horribly expensive either if you can split it between several people :homebrew:

I need to put those numbers together for my season of NASA sprint racing. I'm a bit scared to know what it's going to look like.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
This off season is too long.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
Well that escalated quickly.

Buddy picked up our chumpcar today. Civic si with the non-vtec d16 swapped in (Who knows why).

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
DTD is running a BF/CM deal, double promotions, ect

205/50R15 Advan AD08's for 144*4 - 160 rebates = $416 with free shipping

Are these tires worth it at that price? how's the performance in the wet?

SpaceRangerJoe
Dec 24, 2003

The little hand says it's time to rock and roll.
I had my E36 at the track the other day, and it ran pretty well all weekend. This is at a local track, Motor Sport Ranch in Cresson. This is from the last session of the day, where I spent the whole time chasing down a new GT3. I'm not a great driver, but I put together a decent string of laps. They told me I can ask for a check ride to their advanced run group whenever I want, so that's nice. Feel free to judge my driving and lack of interior.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TSjl2CtiV5Y

First few laps are 1:25s, which I'm told is a pretty good time for street legal tires and the hp/weight I have. I got one 1:24 that weekend.

3:20 - only two off, still good

5:05 - a little counter steer, nbd. Never lift

6:40 - even polite on track. Someday I'm going to go off because of this. I only hope I have video going when it happens.

8:23 - crawling through a few turns now that I caught the Porsche. I don't know what I'd do with the speed in the straights the Porsche has.

rotard
Jan 15, 2012
Looks good! how much does it weigh and what tires were you using. Also, shame on the GT3 for not giving a point by

User Error
Aug 31, 2006
I've never added up what we have into my e36 chumpcar but I know it's not that much. We built the cage with about 300$ worth of tubing and the car was my old daily driver. E36s don't need anything other than fresh rotors, good brake pads, fresh bearings and ball joints, and a fresh cooling system to be track worthy. The M50 motors are bulletproof. Fire suppression system is about $350, figure on $1000 for two sets of 17" wheels and another $1000 or so for belts/seat/window net, another $800 or so on gauges and data acq, 300$ in gas per weekend, $600 in tires every other weekend, $1200 in registration, tow vehicle, trailer, hotels .... OK it's expensive. Consumables and entry seem to cost about 700$ per driver per race.

I'm considering running with WRL at NCM next year because Chumpcar keeps changing the rules and the owner is a dick. They recently made Bilsteins legal and next year after market springs are legal which means I need to spend another $800 to keep up and they've really jerked around turbocharged cars. WRL seems much more straightforward.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpaceRangerJoe
Dec 24, 2003

The little hand says it's time to rock and roll.

rotard posted:

Looks good! how much does it weigh and what tires were you using. Also, shame on the GT3 for not giving a point by

I haven't weighed it, but internet says it should be around 2700. Tires are Toyo RA1's. They are close to the end of their life I think. Gonna try NT01's next time.

Even if the GT3 wanted to give a point by (I'm sure he didn't), he couldn't have. He wouldn't put his windows down because he didn't want to mess up the fresh tint... In his defense, I only caught him because of traffic. But still.