Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe

tonic posted:

So Data Stash is only available on the plans with 5gb or less of data? That seems silly.

I was going to switch my wife and I over, but it seems like unless you need 4 lines, TMO's plans are relatively expensive these days.

I believe you can still get the two lines with unlimited talk text and 4g plus 7 gigs of tether plan for $100

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tonic
Jan 4, 2003

Qwijib0 posted:

I believe you can still get the two lines with unlimited talk text and 4g plus 7 gigs of tether plan for $100

I only see the 4 line for $120 with 10gigs of data option on the website. Are some of these offers only available over the phone? Guess I'll give them a call today.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
I feel like my plan would be cheaper if I just had 4 lines and let two cheap phones sit in a drawer not being used...

Burden
Jul 25, 2006

Qwijib0 posted:

That plan is over, now it's two lines for $100 but with 10 gigs on each line instead of unlimited. It ends the 14th. Go before it ends.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

tonic posted:

I only see the 4 line for $120 with 10gigs of data option on the website. Are some of these offers only available over the phone? Guess I'll give them a call today.

It's the same deal. Two lines are $100 for 10gigs, a 3rd line is $20 and a 4th is free.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

Burden posted:

That plan is over, now it's two lines for $100 but with 10 gigs on each line instead of unlimited. It ends the 14th. Go before it ends.

The two lines for $100 ends this month? What replaces it?

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
Is the nerd plan in the OP still a thing? I can't seem to find something exactly like that on Walmart's site. If not, is there anyway to get a T-Mobile plan with at least 1GB of data in the $30-40 a month range? Or is $50/month the cheapest?

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
It's under "other" prepaid plans.

http://prepaid-phones.t-mobile.com/other-prepaid-plans

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.

Splinter posted:

Is the nerd plan in the OP still a thing? I can't seem to find something exactly like that on Walmart's site. If not, is there anyway to get a T-Mobile plan with at least 1GB of data in the $30-40 a month range? Or is $50/month the cheapest?

Nope it's still available. Check under the prepaid plans. Go to Plans>Prepaid>scroll down to simple prepaid > scroll all the way down to limited plans and click shop other options.

It's pretty hidden. You need to buy the prepaid sim off T-Mobile or from Walmart. When you activate the 30 dollar plan will be an option.

Check slick deals as they always have a link to get the t mobile prepaid sims for one dollar. It's usually just a code to enter when you order off the t mobile website. I've heard a rep can do this for you too.

Burden
Jul 25, 2006

PRADA SLUT posted:

The two lines for $100 ends this month? What replaces it?

2 lines for 100 would be 3 gigs on each line once the promotion ends.

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS
VERY glad I got the 2 lines $100 unlimited everything 7gb tethering plan when it was a thing. I didn't realize that was only temporary.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.
I ported my GVoice number (back) to t-mobile on my existing line Saturday. GVoice shows the number gone, number goes to not in service as of this afternoon. Should I be worried yet?

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

Burden posted:

2 lines for 100 would be 3 gigs on each line once the promotion ends.

So if you sign up now you get 10 gigs, if you wait a week you get 3 instead?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

PRADA SLUT posted:

So if you sign up now you get 10 gigs, if you wait a week you get 3 instead?

It's a promotion. Customers who sign up before XX date get 10GB per line for 2 years instead of 3GB per line. Promotions don't always run on for infinity.

nickutz
Feb 3, 2004

Put blue and red chicken in mouth plz
T-Mobile just announced Binge On: Unlimited Video Streaming. Appears many major services are supported.

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

No youtube or twitch yet which is a huge bummer.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.
I think unlimited Netflix streaming is a bit silly, but they apparently also doubled the amount of data you get on all their (postpaid?) plans. I've only bumped up against 1GB a couple times, but having 2GB makes me not worry so much about downloading the occasional podcast when I'm not on Wi-Fi.

Parasara
Sep 17, 2014

Next time I see that woman, I'm shooting her, and not in the knee.
I come in at like 5.3 gb so this is ace for me. Hopefully it just hastens us towards unlimited data but 10 gig is good for now

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Fun Shoe

LionYeti posted:

No youtube or twitch yet which is a huge bummer.

Probably similar to the issues they had with google music, google's cdn is more complicated than most.

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Damn, this is good coffee.
Seems like a lovely precedent to set. Happy for you goons that will save money/be able to stream more in the short term, but it's always disheartening to see this approach instead of keeping the data agnostic.

Cawd Rud
Mar 12, 2009
Salad Prong
I'm on the nerd plan and apparently Binge On is available for prepaid plans as well, according to their support document. However I can't see the Binge On toggle with the instructions they give. Anyone else able to see this?

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.

Cawd Rud posted:

I'm on the nerd plan and apparently Binge On is available for prepaid plans as well, according to their support document. However I can't see the Binge On toggle with the instructions they give. Anyone else able to see this?

Not seeing it yet on my postpaid account. Perhaps they're a little early with their documents?

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

BeastOfExmoor posted:

Not seeing it yet on my postpaid account. Perhaps they're a little early with their documents?

Yeah it doesn't start until the 15th.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

nickutz posted:

T-Mobile just announced Binge On: Unlimited Video Streaming. Appears many major services are supported.

Can I tether?

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Fun Shoe

FogHelmut posted:

Can I tether?

Probably not, but even if you could you probably wouldn't want to, binge on launches at 480p.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Fun Shoe

illcendiary posted:

Seems like a lovely precedent to set. Happy for you goons that will save money/be able to stream more in the short term, but it's always disheartening to see this approach instead of keeping the data agnostic.

You are still paying market rate for agnostic data, this is just a fringe benefit. I wish I could watch NFL mobile, but that's a verizon fringe benefit.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Qwijib0 posted:

Probably not, but even if you could you probably wouldn't want to, binge on launches at 480p.

Does this mean locks the resolution on your video apps?

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Cawd Rud posted:

If I'm reading that tight, it seems to indicate that data still counts on prepaid plans, just you use less data. Bah. Since I curtailed my music streaming, 5 gb is enough for the amount of video I watch on the go. Except for the time I decided to stream all of the X-Men cartoon on Netflix at work.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Fun Shoe

hiddenriverninja posted:

Does this mean locks the resolution on your video apps?

Yes, based on the minor amount of technical detail they gave at the conference. The way I understand it to work is that when you are opted in to binge on, and using a supported app, they know what kind of packets are going to and from where and they transcode it to reduce data usage (in the same way they recompress images over non-https connections).

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!

Baller Witness Bro posted:

Nope it's still available. Check under the prepaid plans. Go to Plans>Prepaid>scroll down to simple prepaid > scroll all the way down to limited plans and click shop other options.

It's pretty hidden. You need to buy the prepaid sim off T-Mobile or from Walmart. When you activate the 30 dollar plan will be an option.

Check slick deals as they always have a link to get the t mobile prepaid sims for one dollar. It's usually just a code to enter when you order off the t mobile website. I've heard a rep can do this for you too.

Thanks guys. So if I buy a 3rd gen Moto G from Amazon all I need is this SIM from Walmart and I'm good to go?

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew

Qwijib0 posted:

I wish I could watch NFL mobile, but that's a verizon fringe benefit.

NFL Mobile kinda sucks unless you want to watch it on your phone. They turned off Chromecast for live games, and block mirroring your phone screen.

Merv Burger
Jan 3, 2008

Splinter posted:

Thanks guys. So if I buy a 3rd gen Moto G from Amazon all I need is this SIM from Walmart and I'm good to go?

Yes, that's all you'll need.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
I'm going to put MY FIANCEE onto my plan, but for Reasons she's not able to get on it until January. When I went in, they told me I can add her on, get the $100/10 gig deal, and then just suspend the line for $10/mo until January.

I noticed that this will make my bill $60 and some change, including the suspension fee. That's the same price I was paying before for a single line of 3GB.

Why wouldn't you just do this in general? Buy two lines, suspend one, get a cheaper plan than a single individual?

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
BingeOn is pretty awesome, T-Mobile is awesome. Psyched about the increase in my tether from 7gb to 14gb (not that I ever got close to 7 anyway) and doubly psyched that BingeOn will work while I'm tethering my phone, since that means I can watch Netflix on my laptop at work on Sundays instead of my phone! I mean, sure, quality's not gonna be great, but I'll take lower quality on a bigger screen over higher quality on my phone screen anyway.

The free movie rental is pretty cool too, though I can't say I see myself taking advantage of the Sling TV discount--it's missing Comedy Central and FX (two channels I'd need if I was signing up for any kind of cable package again) and when I tried the free trial the app was a hot mess. You can't even use the drat pause button on certain channels (even though the pause button for live streams on those channels' respective dedicated apps work just fine) and the Apple TV implementation is funky as hell (you have to enable mirroring but it doesn't actually mirror). Finally, the app crashed like a gajillion times when I first downloaded it, which I've never seen happen on iOS before. I'm honestly shocked it made it through the approval process.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
So how does the "unlimited" video work now? T-Mobile forcibly degrades your video quality to 480p, but just doesn't charge you for it, or can you opt-in to a non-SD resolution somehow?

edit: Ah, it seems that if you want it to not count, they force your resolution down for all video. If you don't you can keep logging in to your account and switching it. Sounds like a pain in the rear end to me, but at least the option is there.

https://support.t-mobile.com/docs/DOC-24294#tutorial1

PRADA SLUT fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Nov 11, 2015

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
Here is the list of initial approved services.

http://www.t-mobile.com/offer/binge-on-streaming-video-list.html

Allaniis
Jan 22, 2011
Is Unlimited Data increasing by 15 a month, or am I reading it wrong?

tonic
Jan 4, 2003

Yeah their pricing is going up again, wasn't unlimited $70 not too long ago?

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.
So I did a port from GVoice to my existing T-Mo line on Saturday evening.
They've apparently got my number showing as active already, but calling it gets an out of service message. I can call out (caller ID showing the existing number). Google says the number is out of their hands. Customer care is escalating to a network dude apparently.

:argh:

OTOH, I use <2GB data so I'll be dropping my plan from 3GB->2GB when that doubling goes into effect. Since I was waffling on switching to verizon (yay unlocked all carrier phone!) their making the difference $15 instead of $5 will definitely help keep me on T-Mo. I wonder if/how VZW will respond.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
I am not sure how the competition can respond. T-mobile offered Rollover data so you have it for a year, AT&T offered it for only a month.

I'd love to see these video apps just let you download the shows/movies to your phone over wifi so you don't even use cellular data. Amazon Prime does it, Comcast's app does it with very limited shows/movies. It just makes more sense to let people queue stuff over wifi than to force streaming all the time.