Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Wikipedia posted:

The Adventures of Captain Comic (or just Captain Comic) is a 1988 DOS platform game which is known for being one of the first side-scrolling games made for IBM PC. It was developed entirely by Michael Denio. The PC version of the game was distributed as shareware.

As it's shareware the game is still freely available, so you can play along with me if you like. We play the titular captain as he attempts to recover the three lost treasures of Omsoc, apparently hidden on the planet Tambi, a world inhabited by various unpleasant and potentially deadly creatures.

Along the way we'll battle various dangers, discover useful items, and recover the three treasures. Also it's pretty fun, in my opinion.

Videos

Part 1, arrival on Tambi.
Part 2, the seaside.
Part 3, tour the moon.
Part 4, the moonbase.
Part 5, confusion and setbacks.
Part 6, moving on.
Part 7, the cave.
Part 8, it's magic!
Part 9, treasure!
Part 10, back to the seaside.
Part 11, more backtracking.
Part 12, this is a spaceship?
Part 13, the real Captain Comic starts here.
Part 14, eye of the storm.
Part 15, still in the land of coloured blocks.
Part 16, same as last time, but this time I don't die.
Part 17, this is what the inside of a computer looks like.
Part 18, video games are art.
Part 19, the castle at last.
Part 20, victory!

Part 21, you are likely to be eaten by a grue.
Part 22, game over.
Part 23, this is the sequel.
Part 24, an unauthorised Ukrainian total conversion mod.
Part 25, the NES port.

Tiggum fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Nov 4, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

A pleasant stroll through the woods of Tambi, a refreshing beverage and a key.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pb8D25LzzU0

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

A trip to the seaside spoiled by bugs. Next time let's go somewhere with less wildlife.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3q0ox9lzkCU

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

No animals on the moon, but the plant life is a bit unpleasant.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VU1VWpIzTyw

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
I played this, and the sequel, as a kid. My main memory is of getting absolutely, absurdly lost, which may mostly have been because I was a kid and had no idea what I was really doing.

I remember the sequel adding a good bit more complexity, in a good way, any chance you'll be playing that after this one?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

PurpleXVI posted:

I remember the sequel adding a good bit more complexity, in a good way, any chance you'll be playing that after this one?

I might give it a look, but I haven't played it before so I don't know if I'll like it as much, and if I do play it I might need a bit of practice before I can actually finish it.

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich
This game and LP are absolutely wonderful, and charming. It reminds me of the many hours I spent as a kid doodling in the zoomed-in mode of mspaint, and playing bad flash games for fun. :3:

thedaian
Dec 11, 2005

Blistering idiots.
I have fond memories of the sequel, and, well, less fond memories of this one because it requires you to play through the full thing in one sitting. And I suck at platforming games. The sequel had saves, and it was, in some ways, a lot easier for me to play.

Tiggum posted:

I might give it a look, but I haven't played it before so I don't know if I'll like it as much, and if I do play it I might need a bit of practice before I can actually finish it.

It's almost the exact same thing, but there's more plot, more items, and a whole lot more levels. It's also got a Megaman style "chose the level/boss you fight next" where you need item X from one level to be able to progress in the next level.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

A moon base full of monsters, and a couple of useful items.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iXXCZRGO4CA

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
I don't think I ever even saw the moonbase when I played it, mostly I remember getting stuck in some caves or something.

Are there any hints whatsoever as to where stuff is? Or are you stuck just exploring blindly and hoping you stumble into something useful?

thedaian
Dec 11, 2005

Blistering idiots.

PurpleXVI posted:

I don't think I ever even saw the moonbase when I played it, mostly I remember getting stuck in some caves or something.

Are there any hints whatsoever as to where stuff is? Or are you stuck just exploring blindly and hoping you stumble into something useful?

The first game doesn't have any clues, but it's also pretty linear. There's a few extra doors (including the one you start in front of) but I think they all need keys.

The second game is a bit less linear, but there's in game text/plot that tells you where to go. It's possible to miss where you're supposed to go at the start, and end up wandering around in the outside area.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

PurpleXVI posted:

I don't think there's a way to get to the cave level without going through the moonbase. You can get to the "computer" level before then, but you'll very quickly hit a dead end and realise you're in the wrong place.

thedaian posted:

The first game doesn't have any clues, but it's also pretty linear. There's a few extra doors (including the one you start in front of) but I think they all need keys.
They do, but you get the key just near the second door in the woods (which you actually don't want to go through). At that point you probably won't think to go back and try the first door, but you can. The correct path, of course, is to keep going through the woods till you reach the door that leads to the seaside.

There are a couple of other places where it's entirely possible to go the wrong way (in the moonbase, for example, you could go along the bottom path and get the boots before the corkscrew), and even some other doors that you don't want to go through when you first see them, but most of the time there is only one way to go.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

The most shocking and exciting episode yet!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0pR21zUFdUA

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

And that's the end of this LP.

thedaian
Dec 11, 2005

Blistering idiots.
Ironman runs of Captain Comic are hardcore.

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich
Alas, our fair LPer has met their untimely end for want of logical scenery progression.

Memento mori

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Let's try that again.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mmHAQaOOnvc

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Holy crap, I remember this game. I used to play it a bunch as a kid. Of course I never got far 'cause I was bad at games.

Glad someone else has played it and it's not just a figment of my broken imagination :)

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

I used to play this as a kid, along with those dreadful Skunny games. The PC Speaker sound were such a good way to annoy my parents! It also was on of the few games that ran at my father's 486.

There was an Ukrainian hack of the game, The Adventures of Pioneer Ksenia:

https://sites.google.com/site/pionerkaksenia/materialy/kartynky-z-hry

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

laserghost posted:

There was an Ukrainian hack of the game, The Adventures of Pioneer Ksenia:

https://sites.google.com/site/pionerkaksenia/materialy/kartynky-z-hry

Amazing. Is there a download of this anywhere? If I can get a copy I'll try to demo it as a bonus video. :allears:

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

Sure there is!

https://sites.google.com/site/pionerkaksenia/game.rar?attredirects=0

It's been some time since I played this, and iirc it's bullshit hard.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Haha, I can't tell what's solid ground and what's a bottomless pit, and this colour scheme seems designed to make my eyes bleed. :haw:

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Creepy crawly slimy things inhabit the cave.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l4fuA0F2uIg

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

That's a really nice color palette, never got that far, and holy poo poo those green buggers are the perfect annoyance.

thedaian
Dec 11, 2005

Blistering idiots.
:eng101: Captain Comic is a spaceman because the colour palette used doesn't have a good "flesh tone", so the creator gave him a helmet and a purple visor. In the sequel, he has a red visor.

This is the point where the enemies come in enough numbers, and have the sort of AI patterns that they can gently caress you over.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

I wouldn't mind some slightly longer videos, if it wouldn't be too much to ask for. I enjoy the LP, but ten-minute chunks or something wouldn't hurt.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

laserghost posted:

That's a really nice color palette, never got that far, and holy poo poo those green buggers are the perfect annoyance.
Nah, they're exactly the same as the bug-eyes. You've got to watch them but they're not bad. The killer bees are actually more of a nuisance, even though they seem much slower and more predictable.

PurpleXVI posted:

I wouldn't mind some slightly longer videos, if it wouldn't be too much to ask for. I enjoy the LP, but ten-minute chunks or something wouldn't hurt.
The whole game's only about half an hour long, and I find the shorter videos make it easier to have something to say most of the time. I think if I went for ten or even five minute videos it wouldn't work as well. And the level transitions and deaths make for convenient stopping points.

Zeniel
Oct 18, 2013
I'm pretty sure the second episode of captain comic is the first game to ever have a lobby area, if I remember correct.

thedaian
Dec 11, 2005

Blistering idiots.

Zeniel posted:

I'm pretty sure the second episode of captain comic is the first game to ever have a lobby area, if I remember correct.

Very probably the first on PC, at least. Both games borrow a lot from Metroid and Mega Man, and the lobby in Captain Comic 2 is a straight up level selector from Mega Man.

King of Bleh
Mar 3, 2007

A kingdom of rats.

PurpleXVI posted:

I kind of like it as is, it threw me at first but it's like an LP in shot form :guinness:

Zushio
May 8, 2008
Yeah, assuming you know what you're doing Captain Comic takes about 15-20 minutes to beat.

I had it when I was a kid and got just a little past where we are now I think. My uncle had the whole game memorized and used to blow my mind by beating it.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

This cave contains more than just monsters.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-l8dvD8fxUI

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Huh, so how does the Teleport Wand work, exactly? Does it move you a specific number of times "forwards" and adjust your height to fit on top of a platform? Or is it a random teleport to somewhere on-screen?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Neither! I'll explain more as I actually use it a bit more, but it's both perfectly consistent and basically unpredictable.

Zushio
May 8, 2008

PurpleXVI posted:

Huh, so how does the Teleport Wand work, exactly? Does it move you a specific number of times "forwards" and adjust your height to fit on top of a platform? Or is it a random teleport to somewhere on-screen?

I think it determines where to put you based on your current x/y coordinates within the level. It might correct to make sure you don't land in a pit ( I think). It looks random, but it's just an equation. It will certainly telefrag your rear end.

edit: Tiggum posted while I was typing, so I've spoilered that in case he didn't want it public knowledge. I can remove it outright if you like.

Zushio fucked around with this message at 11:20 on Dec 1, 2015

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Nah, I don't mind. Anyway, you didn't mention the most surprising thing about how it works, so that'll still be a surprise.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I fought the lava, and the lava won.
I'm pretty sure it's exactly three squares forward and vertically adjusted to land on a platform - if there's no platform three squares forward, you don't move. There's more complex logic to handle two or three vertically-stacked platforms, but I didn't experiment with it enough to know for sure what that is. Likewise spoilered in case that included the surprising thing you mentioned.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

I had this on one of those big shareware compilation CDs you could buy for 5 bucks back when I was 8. It's neat to see someone get past the first few screens.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
That health bar looks so beefy but it's gone before you know it, isn't it? Does this do like the Castlevania thing where later enemies are knocking bigger and bigger chunks off of it, or is that largely consistent?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I fought the lava, and the lava won.
I'm pretty sure it's always two units per hit, but the enemies respawn a lot faster and get much harder to avoid or shoot, so it runs down pretty quickly.

• Locked thread