Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Rin owns a lot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Dr Pepper posted:

Rin owns a lot.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.
Rin is the best girl, excluding Taiga.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
God. These pictures are reminding me on how low quality a lot of NasuTakeuchi's drawings are.

Edit: Oops, yeah.
vvvvvvvvv

AlternateNu fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Nov 11, 2015

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
You mean Takeuchi.

That said, the FSN VN art is still leagues above what was done for Tsukihime (and I've seen some art that was done before Tsukihime was released that was even WORSE) and then Takeuchi really just improved from there. I mean, sure, Saberface is a thing he suffers from, but the overall quality of his illustrations are decent and I can actually recognize his style among the sea of animes you see these days.

Compendium fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Nov 11, 2015

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010
His real strength is in character design imo, but I do like his art.

On a side note, finally got around to finishing Mahoyo, and the ending gave me a lot of good feels.

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012
Takeuchi doesn't do all the Type-Moon stuff these days, but I think everyone goes by his original illustrations.

I know Nasu was working in a fish market / factory / whatever before he decided to do VNs, but I have absolutely no idea what Takeuchi was doing before Tsukihime, other than being Nasu's schoolyard chum.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

Sylphid posted:

I know Nasu was working in a fish market / factory / whatever before he decided to do VNs

See, this makes the Tsukihime sex scenes make way more sense.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
Here's a good Before and After of Takeuchi's art (starring Akiha).

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
After all this time, her chest is still as steep as a cliffside.

Priestly
Apr 26, 2008

taser rates posted:

On a side note, finally got around to finishing Mahoyo, and the ending gave me a lot of good feels.
Have you read all of the optional entries in the archive yet? If not, you've still got a surprise waiting for you.
And yeah, I loved the entirety of the last chapter + epilogue. Those rumored sequels can't come a day too soon.

:3:

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

I like the art in FSN a lot actually.

It may not be the most technically perfect art, but there's charm to them. Plus each character has a ton of sprites to express a lot of emotions.

I don't know how else to put this, but the "direction" of Type Moon's VNs is excellent.

Simply doing things like zooming and panning over a picture while playing some sound effects does a lot to make the action scenes dynamic and interesting.

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012
Aoko is one of the best Type-Moon girls.

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010

Priestly posted:

Have you read all of the optional entries in the archive yet? If not, you've still got a surprise waiting for you.
And yeah, I loved the entirety of the last chapter + epilogue. Those rumored sequels can't come a day too soon.
:3:

Yea, I've read most of them, just need to do the ploy-kickshaw and post-ending entries. I really like how he uses those to round out all of the side characters and whatnot.

Classy Hydra
Oct 30, 2011

You did wrong, Jack,
rest your soul.

Compendium posted:

Here's a good Before and After of Takeuchi's art (starring Akiha).

Hunh. He's actually one of the few VN artists I've seen markedly improve without completely abandoning his previous style.

His new stuff is still in the same style, just a lot sharper and with way better color work.

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

Sylphid posted:

Takeuchi doesn't do all the Type-Moon stuff these days, but I think everyone goes by his original illustrations.

I know Nasu was working in a fish market / factory / whatever before he decided to do VNs, but I have absolutely no idea what Takeuchi was doing before Tsukihime, other than being Nasu's schoolyard chum.

he published a couple of one shot manga... I think?

Priestly
Apr 26, 2008

Dr Pepper posted:

I don't know how else to put this, but the "direction" of Type Moon's VNs is excellent.

Simply doing things like zooming and panning over a picture while playing some sound effects does a lot to make the action scenes dynamic and interesting.

If you liked how FSN presented its action scenes then you'd love what Mahoyo did. Tsukuri Monoji is an absolute madman.

:siren: Spoilers for the first act of the game: :siren:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MEVJp7k_ijA

Sylphid posted:

Aoko is one of the best Type-Moon girls.

Ftfy.

taser rates posted:

Yea, I've read most of them, just need to do the ploy-kickshaw and post-ending entries. I really like how he uses those to round out all of the side characters and whatnot.

Agreed. It's cool how that system allowed Nasu to write "side story" chapters like 8.5 (Carnegie Case) without breaking the flow of the main plot.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
The artwork in FSN is vastly improved compared to Tsukihime, but there is something decidedly off I've notice in my replay with some of the proportions. Everyone has really lanky arms, for example, and Shirou's head still looks weird in some of the times you see his sprite.

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010

Priestly posted:

If you liked how FSN presented its action scenes then you'd love what Mahoyo did. Tsukuri Monoji is an absolute madman.

:siren: Spoilers for the first act of the game: :siren:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MEVJp7k_ijA

Have you read the interview with him, Nasu, and Koyama Hirokazu on the production of Mahoyo? Really fascinating stuff, though it makes me a little sad that they didn't have time to redo the final fight to be on quite the same level as the Flat Snark scene.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D

Nate RFB posted:

The artwork in FSN is vastly improved compared to Tsukihime, but there is something decidedly off I've notice in my replay with some of the proportions. Everyone has really lanky arms, for example, and Shirou's head still looks weird in some of the times you see his sprite.

Someone also pointed out that at the time Takeuchi could barely draw hips covered by clothing. Also, Archer's head is kind of small in comparison to the rest of his body.

Priestly
Apr 26, 2008

taser rates posted:

Have you read the interview with him, Nasu, and Koyama Hirokazu on the production of Mahoyo? Really fascinating stuff, though it makes me a little sad that they didn't have time to redo the final fight to be on quite the same level as the Flat Snark scene.
I've read most (if not all) interviews relating to the game at some point or other, but I'm a bit sketchy on most of the details by now.
Personally I think the final battle was as flashy as it needed to be, production wise. I mean, sure, more polish never hurts but Mahoyo as a whole is already the most polished VN I think I've ever read.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Nate RFB posted:

Yeah; the artwork in FSN is a little odd/bad in parts, but it doesn't really bother me. The art in Tsukihime, on the other hand, is so bad that it actually makes it hard for me to even play it. Everyone just looks so strange.

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008
I think both Tsukihime and F/SN has pretty good art.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Ytlaya posted:

Yeah; the artwork in FSN is a little odd/bad in parts, but it doesn't really bother me. The art in Tsukihime, on the other hand, is so bad that it actually makes it hard for me to even play it. Everyone just looks so strange.

it makes me hard when I play it :mrgw:

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
I like how Takeuchi's art has improved. It's very consistently what I associate with Type-Moon.

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Oh god. I got to the end of Oceanus in FGO and the giant tentacle thing is back :gonk:

Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012

-Troika- posted:

Oh god. I got to the end of Oceanus in FGO and the giant tentacle thing is back :gonk:

Yup. There went my three Command Spells, and even with that I barely cleared that mission. But then again, I made the harebrained mistake of focusing Medea first. Don't do that people, she actually makes the bloody thing weaker while she's alive.

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
I basically ignored Medea Lily until the thing that must not be was dead, because she sits there buffing and healing and not attacking 99% of the time.

Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012

-Troika- posted:

I basically ignored Medea Lily until the thing that must not be was dead, because she sits there buffing and healing and not attacking 99% of the time.

What was your team?

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:
Leaving healer alive is always a good idea because healing suck in this game.

Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012

Nyaa posted:

Leaving healer alive is always a good idea because healing suck in this game.

Also because killing the healer will generally give whatever he or she was healing an additional strike per round. I think that's the design element I hate the most in the game. AOE Noble Phantasms can really screw you over if the big guy has low health adds.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Healing vs damage is basically not balanced at all for enemy servants. In a more reasonable game, enemy servant healing would be increased and NP damage would be nerfed, but since their healing and damage is treated the same as your own you end up with their NPs being able to instantly wipe all of your guys unless you use an invincibility skill and their healing being effectively the same as the enemy servant just skipping a turn.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Servants with support-type NPs being used as bosses are terrible in this game in general. Just look at them using that 200k+ hp Tamamo as the boss for the last two challenges in the Halloween event. She was pathetically easier than the stages(Assassin-Fafnir in the final Pumpkin iteration and the Servant gauntlet in the CL one) in front of her, because her NP is completely worthless for the enemy. The healing is small, enemies already have no cooldown on their skill-usage, and the NP charge boost helps the enemy far less than it does you due to differences in how the systems work. She herself does decent damage, but you've got the tools to mitigate the general damage from a single Servant so long as you didn't bring an Assassin. The most irritating thing she could do was spam her defense skill, which just makes the fight drag on forever.

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Aumanor posted:

What was your team?

Started off with Pumpkin Liz, EMIYA, and Tamamo, but Liz got owned during the long battle, as did EMIYA, Carmilla, and Shielder. I ended up finishing the battle with a combined NP barrage from Lancelot and a friend's Arturia.

To be honest it wasn't a HARD fight, just a long one. I imagine that someone without a full set of high level Servants like me would have considerably more difficulty.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Aumanor posted:

Yup. There went my three Command Spells, and even with that I barely cleared that mission. But then again, I made the harebrained mistake of focusing Medea first. Don't do that people, she actually makes the bloody thing weaker while she's alive.

Really what? How does that work?

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
Enemy turns are capped at 3 actions, but if there's less than 3 characters then each one can perform more than one action per turn (capped at a character-specific number)

Since Medea and Demon God can both perform up to 3 actions per turn, killing Medea first means giving more actions to the Demon God.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
A couple friends convinced me to get in on Grand Order, and it's pretty fun. Got a Kaleidoscope from a 4 Quartz summon, which was neat.

Is this the type of game where you actually need 5 Star servants to compete, or can you field anyone as long as they're leveled up enough? Most of the people I want to use are 3 stars or lower.

Friend Code is 351,555,443 if for some godforsaken reason somebody wants another Shielder.

EDIT: Also my first servant was Caesar. I am glad this game knows its audience.

BlitzBlast fucked around with this message at 11:34 on Nov 17, 2015

Psiwri
Mar 8, 2012

"The Foecast today calls for dark clouds, booming thunder and F.O.E.s everywhere!"
Three star servants can handle just about everything the game throws at you, for now. Having more throughput and HP helps quite a bit but 5*s are certainly a luxury and not a necessity.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
So I finished Fuyuki and saw the actual OP and uh

did Shielder stub her toe really hard or something

what was going on at the end there

Also I was all ready for Alter to be a ridiculously hard fight and then she just went down like a sack of bricks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
The OP is ARTSY.

Boss fights later on will be harder don't worry.