Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
chris robots makes lovely space games

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

Loiosh posted:

FreeSpace (1, 2)

NHOL?

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

Loiosh posted:

In regards to your point about history, finding examples like that is a bit more difficult. The industry is relatively young and tends to burn people out, finding people who return is rare. Jordan Mechner, Roberta Williams, Tim Schaffer, Derek Smart, Peter Molyneux, Ron Gilbert, John Carmack, Sid Meier, Will Wright are some of the names I can think off the top of my head who were around at that time and involved in design. So, I'd have to agree with you, in terms of finding an example of a designer who left gaming for 10 years, then returned, I cannot think of an example off the top of my head.

Peter Molyneux did a Kickstarter based game called Godus, promised a whole bunch of poo poo, unsurprisingly didn't deliver on the majority of it, left the team developing it with a skeleton crew because they ran out of money and his only real response was "Oh well it wasn't my fault". This is pretty much how Star Citizen is going to play out.

You're also missing my point. It's not that Chris Roberts left game development for 15 years (MS bought out Digital Anvil in 2000, Croberts left as a result of the takeover), it's more that his last project was a complete gently caress up on his watch and SC is following the same path with the exception that SC had the ability to draw on Kickstarter and backer funding. If his last project is anything to go by, it's kind of hard to have faith that he'll be able to pull off what he promised and failed to deliver a decade and a half ago. Croberts has a consistent track record of failing to deliver under his own auspices and this is exactly what will happen again.

Loiosh
Jul 25, 2010

I Greyhound posted:

Here's an 80 page treatise on how all ships should have a 30 to 45 second minigame set each time you climb into them before you can fly somewhere.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B2EZACiwECEpVjBKOTJpSHpaams/view

Chris Roberts doesn't have any plans for anything, so fans have to make them themselves.

Yeah, I replied back to those guys that it's not a positive for gameplay. It does not substantively add anything to the game that is not covered elsewhere. I think a lot of people get this idea that toggling systems is fun, but it is generally just added work. In the commercial space they're trying to design away from having such busy panels (like Boeing and Airbus). You can already see that the space craft designers are trying to slim down the panels:

SpaceShipOne:

SpaceX Dragon v2:

Adding a startup like that has little gameplay value.

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer
I have found perhaps the scariest cat I've ever seen, but most confess I stole it from reddit

Loiosh
Jul 25, 2010

CrazyTolradi posted:

You're also missing my point. It's not that Chris Roberts left game development for 15 years (MS bought out Digital Anvil in 2000, Croberts left as a result of the takeover), it's more that his last project was a complete gently caress up on his watch and SC is following the same path with the exception that SC had the ability to draw on Kickstarter and backer funding. If his last project is anything to go by, it's kind of hard to have faith that he'll be able to pull off what he promised and failed to deliver a decade and a half ago. Croberts has a consistent track record of failing to deliver under his own auspices and this is exactly what will happen again.

I don't know if I'd agree with consistent, given that WC 1,(Strike Commander, lol),3,4, Starlancer, and Freelancer, but I certainly agree that his last project was a shitshow in terms of development, along with Strike Commander.

I guess, I've been delighted by the improvement I've seen, though I totally understand why people are not, or even say it is not improvement and just a bunch of unconnected modules that have no life to them.

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy

CrazyTolradi posted:

Peter Molyneux did a Kickstarter based game called Godus, promised a whole bunch of poo poo, unsurprisingly didn't deliver on the majority of it, left the team developing it with a skeleton crew because they ran out of money and his only real response was "Oh well it wasn't my fault". This is pretty much how Star Citizen is going to play out.

Introducing the all new "Bitter Tears Platinum Card"

Over State, Over promise, Over Hype, Never Deliver.

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

Loiosh posted:

I don't know if I'd agree with consistent, given that WC 1,(Strike Commander, lol),3,4, Starlancer, and Freelancer, but I certainly agree that his last project was a shitshow in terms of development, along with Strike Commander.
Freelancer was his last project.

Thing is, all of those titles had publishers behind them and it's a matter of record that at least in regards to Freelancer, as well as Starlancer somewhat, that Chris Roberts was responsible for delays in the product via his usual love for feature creep. He's like a magpie, he just has to have all the shiny things.

Also, WC1 apparently cost about $1mil (as stated in a book linked by someone in the thread earlier) as opposed to the usual cost of about $200-500k for a game at the time. A cost that was mostly attributed to Roberts. Also add to this that he was a failure in Hollywood who hosed up big time, and I just don't see how it's hard not to have a very skeptical view of anything this man claims.

When you buy into a dream, don't be surprised if that's all you get.

Loiosh
Jul 25, 2010

CrazyTolradi posted:

Freelancer was his last project.
I know, that's why I mentioned them in order.

quote:

Thing is, all of those titles had publishers behind them and it's a matter of record that at least in regards to Freelancer, as well as Starlancer somewhat, that Chris Roberts was responsible for delays in the product via his usual love for feature creep. He's like a magpie, he just has to have all the shiny things.

Also, WC1 apparently cost about $1mil (as stated in a book linked by someone in the thread earlier) as opposed to the usual cost of about $200-500k for a game at the time. A cost that was mostly attributed to Roberts. Also add to this that he was a failure in Hollywood who hosed up big time, and I just don't see how it's hard not to have a very skeptical view of anything this man claims.

I don't know why you're telling me to be skeptical. After all, I did not fund the Kickstarter because I did not feel the project would have the scope I was interested in.

JazzPaws
Aug 10, 2014

- Ponzi Scheme Survivor -

Canine Blues Arooo posted:

I have found perhaps the scariest cat I've ever seen, but most confess I stole it from reddit

Dude that's gotta be Immortan Joe's catte.

Nickiepoo
Jun 24, 2013

Loiosh posted:

My favorite is Alastair Reynolds in the Revelation Space series. Nothing quite like some slow and difficult speed-of-light combat that could last years.

This is a good book, yes.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

no_recall posted:

Introducing the all new "Bitter Tears Platinum Card"

Over State, Over promise, Over Hype, Never Deliver.

I've been working on one-- we just started talking about a few days (and few hundred pages ago.)

I'll upload a mockup for y'all to crap in a couple days... But I think "Bitter Tears" is the beer-- the card is something else.

Gooncierge Black Card or something.

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy

G0RF posted:

I've been working on one-- we just started talking about a few days (and few hundred pages ago.)

I'll upload a mockup for y'all to crap in a couple days... But I think "Bitter Tears" is the beer-- the card is something else.

Looking forward to seeing a memento of gaming's greatest failure to be.

Amun Khonsu
Sep 15, 2012

wtf did he just say?
Grimey Drawer

no_recall posted:

Looking forward to seeing a memento of gaming's greatest failure to be.

Woot jpegs!

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Loiosh posted:

I'm honestly curious what people here will think if CIG does manage to land AC 2.0. Given what it implies in the back-end, is it good enough to show that they're making progress at an engineering level, or is it too little, too delayed, jpegs.

Probably something like "Gee, now maybe he actually has an engine that he can build his game in. Now all he needs is another hundred million dollars and five years and maybe there's a chance in hell he'll be able to deliver on the hundred handcrafted systems, hundred ships, 70 different professions, and dozens of other things that he promised everyone when he only had 65 million dollars."

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

The sad part is this cat is incapable of understanding how cool it is.

bossfight
Feb 16, 2013

Loiosh posted:

My favorite is Alastair Reynolds in the Revelation Space series. Nothing quite like some slow and difficult speed-of-light combat that could last years.

Reynolds does great space reading.

fuzzknot
Mar 23, 2009

Yip yip yip yip yip

Frog Assassin posted:

The sad part is this cat is incapable of understanding how cool it is.

No. No cat has ever been incapable of understanding exactly how cool it is.

Loiosh
Jul 25, 2010

bossfight posted:

Reynolds does great space reading.

On the one side you have reality conflict greats like Reynolds and (some of) Clark's works, and on one of the others you have the imaginary glory of Peter F. Hamilton and Iain M. Banks. Reynolds prose and plotting were one of the most difficult reads I worked through, it's hard to contextualize everything he puts into his worlds, but holy poo poo is it rewarding to try.

I could never imagine picking a favorite. The choices really are too good. Even (the horrible bigoted rear end in a top hat) John C. Wright managed to make a great series with fascinating ideas: The Golden Oecumene - It's too bad he's such a terrible person, because I'd love to support his work, but yick.

Anyways, lots of great sci fi, and Reynolds is one of my buy-on-release authors. No matter what he writes, I'll pick it up (even if I disliked Terminal World). Oh, and lest we forget, Vernor Vinge!!

squirrelzipper
Nov 2, 2011

D_Smart posted:

Yeah, we're actually keep legacy aged records on those. And yes, changing the name slightly means that they don't look to be listed under several companies.

I'm an "officer" in a very small private Canadian corporation and even for our little Corp things like keeping current addresses and ensuring officer status is up to date is really under a magnifying glass, I had to pay $1400 in fines when I missed updating our Corp address after a move this summer, had to be done in 39 days.

So things like misspelling last names and alternate addressed is a total red flag.

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

G0RF posted:

The goonscierge card. Has such a nice ring to it. Like I said. I am totally willing to pitch in some for this to be a reality. And the beer. Most definitely both of them.

EminusSleepus
Sep 28, 2015

Cutlass tl;dr

1) Ok we will make another pass of the Cutlass
2) ok we hosed up we will hand it over to UK
3) (UK Guys) this is beyond fix
4) gently caress it lets just introduce another JPEG

Shemp the Stooge
Feb 23, 2001

Loiosh posted:

SpaceX Dragon v2:

I have to point out that Elon Musk started SpaceX with about 100 million dollars in his budget for it. 6 million more and SC could have made real space ships.

SquirrelGrip
Jul 4, 2012

joebob posted:

I have to point out that Elon Musk started SpaceX with about 100 million dollars in his budget for it. 6 million more and SC could have made real space ships.

thankyou

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Further on cutlass chat:

Also to replace :ThanksBen:

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard
Apparently the ship startup document wasn't enough:

Great job on that amazing ship-startup design doc! Why don't we take that philosophy a little further... posted:

Hey Citizens! Time for a little bit of a silly post.

Hopefully you all have seen that fantastic fan-made design document on ship startup. It is really an amazing effort, and it touches on almost everything that I can think of regarding ship startup.

More advanced startup sequences that flex the GOST's muscles really add to the "realness" of the ships.

We probably all agree that the spaceships themselves are a very core part of Star Citizen, especially in the early stage of development that it is in right now. However, while the flight model and the digital models of the ships are extremely detailed, the behavior of the ships themselves are relatively one-dimensional.

Even thinking about multi-crew ships: you sit in the seat, you have the controls, you push and prod the controls and they go beep and boop and the ship flies and shoots. Pretty cool. But that's all it does! Every single 300i, Avenger, or Cutlass is just a big 3D model that flies around and shoots.

So, I'm suggesting a focus towards realistic complexity that would add towards a sense of these large ships being actual vehicles that you own, instead of them being large flying 3D models.
  • Extremely tight MobiGlas integration: Imagine your character tapping his/her wrist, and a satisfying "bleep" coming from your 300i across the landing pad, with the lights flashing. Open doors, trigger the aforementioned startup sequences, all from your wrist. This would introduce a very personal sense of belonging to these ships.
  • Like the design document writer suggested, lots and lots of immersive sound effects. Creaking metal floors, whirring pumps as the ship starts up, adjustable diegetic HUD brightness, flickering bootup HUD sequences, etc. Little quirks.
  • Bootup sequence containing startup statistics, showing the power routing through the ship, etc, etc. More detailed information when starting up the ship, just for the sake of detail. "Powerplant starting, 50% capacity, 100% capacity. Weapons systems online. Welcome to Origin Jumpworks."
These are all very tiny and silly changes, and by no means am I complaining that CIG should be doing these things right now waaaaaah. All of this is "wouldn't it be nice if they did this eventually."

But an increased sense of realism and ownership to these massive, 12-ton vehicles would be nice. I'd like to own a large, aluminum and stainless steel space vehicle, not a three dimensional model.

Discussions? Ideas? Theorycrafting? Please indulge yourselves!

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

G0RF posted:

I miss Beer.

Fallout 4 is a lot of fun.

Maldoror
Oct 5, 2003

by R. Guyovich
Nap Ghost

i read that that cat has hypertrichosis.

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Fallout 4 is a lot of fun.

I made the mistake of buying legacy of the void and now I'm out of game cash till next pay check. I'm sad.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Sappo569 posted:

You missed the best part, where Ben replies with 'By replacing I don't mean REPLACING...'

Engineering Debt. The cause of, and solution to, all of CIG's problems.

Also a suggestion I made to CIG months ago.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Iain M. Banks is/was the best science fiction writer.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Also as a ploy to get D_Smart back into the thread, when I did a planetary landing in Universal Combat and got out of the ship and looked at the SCALE of it (which gets lost in space) I was like woah.

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx
It's all theoretical right now

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx
when are they going to start making this game again?

EightAce
May 10, 2015

Watch it all come crashing down on his head and wonder why any of us gave him money in the first place.

EightAce fucked around with this message at 08:40 on Apr 8, 2016

Amun Khonsu
Sep 15, 2012

wtf did he just say?
Grimey Drawer

EightAce posted:

1) pay the fines and transfer share holdings/cash reserves to a different company preferably one that doesn't even have the name CIG or even Roberts in it.

The UK is starting to crack down on this sort of sht. Ill be surprised if they get away with it for long, and the tax collectors there are pretty good at collecting in the end regardless. It will catch up with them at some point if this is their plan.

Kilmers Elbow
Jun 15, 2012

Mirificus posted:

quote:

I'd like to own a large, aluminum and stainless steel space vehicle, not a three dimensional model.

"All's you got to do is look in his eyes, that's the whole loving story right there."

Sharks Dont Sleep
Mar 4, 2009

In pairing luxury automobiles with large predatory felines we have achieved reality ahead of schedule.

CrazyTolradi posted:

There's also a hilarious poo poo show about how someone won an exclusive contest to be a "god" or something in the game and have a share of the profits and years later that hasn't happened.

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2015/02/11/godus-deity-contest-winner-has-yet-to-receive-his-promised-power-and-riches.aspx

Amun Khonsu
Sep 15, 2012

wtf did he just say?
Grimey Drawer
wtf is this?

https://www.facebook.com/215475438505750/photos/a.429027047150587.107566.215475438505750/941320922587861/?type=3&theater

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Remember, American companies simply cannot produce the quality product they're looking for here

Also that thing looks like a pile of poo poo that was left out in the sun

• Locked thread